Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Grimoire (VERY old school CRPG. Demo available!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grimoire (VERY old school CRPG. Demo available!)  (Read 17586 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: February 21, 2013, 02:19:06 PM

Yep, prepare to be overwhelmed:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grimoire-forever

So, about 50 minutes ago I was totally unaware of this. The original design document for this game and the following early prototypes were made in the mid-nineties. Game will be released (currently set for May) no matter the funding it will get in the end.

Here's the latest demo version:

http://www.filedropper.com/grimoiredemov12 (small sized exe)

And no, the creator hasn't released a manual, yet. Like I said, prepare to be overwhelmed (it has a strong Realms of Arkania vibe to say the least) and feel that early nineties vibe  DRILLING AND MANLINESS . Good luck.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:31:13 PM

On one hand, it's awesome to see a Wizardry-like game in 2012... and it may even be fun.

On the other hand, which unfortunately keeps me from even trying the game -- the creator is an insane racist usenet kook* with a seething hate-on for Sir-tech who has been promising a release for this game since at least 1998.

I'll stick with Generation XTH if I want my fix... maybe if the game turns out completely freaking blow-the-hinges-off-the-door awesome, I'll give it a look. Not planning to give any dollars to Cleve though, sorry.

* he was pretty much the Serek Dmart of c.s.i.p.rpg. Just do a google groups search with his name, and possibly toss in 'racism' for extra hits.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:40:02 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing that out; oh, and I also noticed that the demo for Generation XTH is now available: downloading now :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:59:50 PM

There's a Let's Play of the demo over on Broken Forum. The Let's Play begins on page 12 with this post by Meserach.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:06 PM

On one hand, it's awesome to see a Wizardry-like game in 2012... and it may even be fun.

On the other hand, which unfortunately keeps me from even trying the game -- the creator is an insane racist usenet kook* with a seething hate-on for Sir-tech who has been promising a release for this game since at least 1998.

I'll stick with Generation XTH if I want my fix... maybe if the game turns out completely freaking blow-the-hinges-off-the-door awesome, I'll give it a look. Not planning to give any dollars to Cleve though, sorry.

* he was pretty much the Serek Dmart of c.s.i.p.rpg. Just do a google groups search with his name, and possibly toss in 'racism' for extra hits.

Does it have muskets that fire baseballs?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:34 AM

I thought you were exaggerating Zetor, but wow. Although, I'm 97% sure all of that is fake. It must be.

I never thought I would ever read from a person that actually with a straight face could be considered a Neanderthal supremacist.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:29:07 AM by Tebonas »
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 02:53:53 AM

I thought you were exaggerating Zetor, but wow. Although, I'm 97% sure all of that is fake. It must be.

97% of it is fake in as much as it isn't (obviously) true that Cleve is a neanderthal with super-powers. It is however true in as much as these are things he legitimately believes. He is unhinged in many, many ways both vile and tragic.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:01:33 AM

I meant fake as in that isn't actually him. Somebody is doing a hatchet job on some poor schlob who tries to recreate Wizardry for the last 15 years.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 03:15:03 AM

I meant fake as in that isn't actually him. Somebody is doing a hatchet job on some poor schlob who tries to recreate Wizardry for the last 15 years.

Hear it from the horse's mouth

I'm not going to be responsible for any SAN loss brought about by following that link mind you.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 03:29:07 AM

HAHAHAHAHH

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:56:36 AM

LOL  Heart
(spotted this via a user on RPG Codex, who reported the following):

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9904&page=11

Cleve said:
I reckon all of you are going to eat crow when I sail through the $750,000 mark about 30 days in.

If I was not the author of this game and could get a copy free, I personally would not hesitate a second to get the $100.00 pledge. I'd give anything to have a hardbacked manual and full solution guide for a game like that.

Sorry but you guys are underestimating me again. Grimoire is legion. It is the world's greatest vaporware in the history of mankind and when it goes to release anybody who did not get the physical goods is going to have a lifetime of regrets. I know what my own game is worth to hardcore players.

You naysayers will be eating crow and substantial amounts of it, first when I cruise through 250G like it wasn't even there and then when I release the game on May 1st. I don't want to think about the mascara tears running down your cheeks when you realize it will be DRM forever after and your one shot to get the physical copy has forever passed you by.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:02:57 AM

That man surely knows how to talk to would-be customers.

In a few posts this went from "Yay, Nostalgia, where can I throw my money at" to "Would my money buy medication for his mental illness or support his drug habit?"
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 07:31:01 AM

Cleve. Cleve never changes. Etc.

On the other hand, I looked at the LP forum in brokenforum, and it inspired me to replay Wizardry 8 again [this time with some mods]. Something good has come out of this after all!  awesome, for real

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:00 PM

Necro... but fitting, considering the source material.

So, uh, apparently this shit is now on Greenlight, and Cleve is as classy as ever. Is this the fourth or fifth seal of the apocalypse? I sorta lost count...

e: yes, I posted this on 4:20AM Greenland time on April 1st, but this is not a drill. I repeat, THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:31:23 PM by Zetor »

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 08:35:57 AM

Holy shit, Grimoire actually saw the light of day?

Christ on a cracker, I remember hearing about this nearly decades ago.

Ohhhhh, I see.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 02:29:31 AM

Supposed to launch Friday, pulled it back for last minute updates/fixes etc. $39.95 is the rumored price. Should be out any day now.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 04:08:37 AM

Supposed to launch Friday, pulled it back for last minute updates/fixes etc. $39.95 is the rumored price. Should be out any day now.
To the surprise of no-one, it did not actually release and there is no ETA. Apparently Cleve is simultaneously waiting for Valve to approve the store package and also adding features to the game at the last minute. Sounds legit. A reminder that the only game Cleve has ever released was an Android platformer that required you to press the spacebar fto jump (the only control in the game).

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 09:59:27 AM

Crap. The merciful passage of time had almost erased all awareness of Cleve from my mind.

It was said best by Zetor four years ago.

Cleve. Cleve never changes...
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 07:38:08 PM

I bet it comes out before Star Citizen does!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 01:11:05 PM

This is supposed to unlock at 6PM PDT today.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 03:07:14 PM

I try not to ever use this emote, but...

Popcorn
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 07:46:55 PM

Been a while since I haunted 'round here, but I knew this was probably worthy of coming back to take a look to see what might be discussed. I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of this until a couple of weeks ago (or if I had heard of it years ago, it just slipped away down some deep dark hole in my brain), so I had no real expectations, no knowledge of the history of the game and creator, just that this looked old-skool good and I was ready to play! So I've been catching up on the drama, patiently waited until today, came home from work expecting to fork over some cash, and then...

Originally posted by GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
Almost there. Hit glitch on laptop display not supporting 16 bit fullscreen mode. Fixing it now.

Umm...how long was this in development again? He said something about running it on a newer laptop...what the hell has he been coding on all this time? He *just now* found this bug??!! I'm beginning to see where all the frustration and general ridicule are coming from.

I probably have plenty of time to get my old Mac SE up and running again (it's got the checkerboard screen and the only thing I haven't outright replaced is the analog board), play through Might and Magic 1-3, Might and Magic 4 and 5 on my iBook, 6-10 on my PC, all the Wizadrys, Ultimas, and Bard's Tales a couple of times through before this is going to see daylight.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 07:47:16 PM

Dammit, somehow I posted the same thing twice. Blaming my over sensitive trackpad.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:30 PM

[ouroboros.png]

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:30 PM

I don't think this is really real.  I looked and everything is too weird to be real.  And $40?!?  Say whaaaa???

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 09:18:08 PM

I don't think this is really real.  I looked and everything is too weird to be real.  And $40?!?  Say whaaaa???

I've been questioning reality for the past year or so. I'm completely convinced that the sole reason we have Donald Trump as president over here is because some drunk asshole at CERN brought some bimbo back to the lab after hours, and in a vain attempt to impress her with the biggest Laser-Floyd show ever, cranked the LHC up to Eleven and seriously fucked up the Universe. I mean, hell, Trump is president, The Cubs won the World Series, Spiderman is now back in the Marvel Studio stable (at least to an extent), and Wonder Woman didn't outright suck. And apparently The Doctor is now going to be a woman (or at least that's what I've heard - still working my way through Capaldi's current season and Goddamn I don't want him to go). So yeah, shit's fucked up and on fire, yo. Given all that, maybe it's not impossible that a game that's two decades in the making will release in the next few hours.

edit because sleepy and stupid.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:20:03 PM by raydeen »

WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 11:59:50 PM

Late, of course. Supposedly in the Steam Approval queue now, so what 3-5 days? This guy is a clown. I hope the game doesn't blow, if it ever actually gets released.

WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 07:13:29 AM

Ban notification from a Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar developer   — 7 hours ago
You have been banned from Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Discussions
You have been banned from Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Discussions by a Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar developer for your post in "Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar General Discussions":
%text%

Ban Reason:
Too tough for this forum

Please review the Discussions Rules and Guidelines.

This is a permanent ban.
Rofl Waffle

My first and apparently only post! He even deleted it, so I can't quote myself directly, but someone was blaming Steam for the game not being released on time (when he didn't send the release candidate until late last night). I responded "LOL @ blaming Steam for late release. The clown in charge should have had it to them a week ago".

Thin-skinned snowflake obv. What a shit show. I can't stop laughing.

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 08:03:51 AM

Too tough for this forum

what does that even mean
WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 08:52:20 AM

Right? There are comments far less complimentary than mine that are still up. Maybe he is a lurker here and doesn't like me?  awesome, for real

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 11:10:13 AM

That's just Cleve being Cleve. I think it may be time to bring in the heavy hitters.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

WayAbvPar

Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 02:09:29 PM

Heh. You will have plenty of time to get your shots in, since this thing seems to be vaporware. He must have sent Gabe a Top Pot gift certificate to get it listed on Steam at all.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 07:01:40 AM

ANY. DAY. NOW. MUST. HOLD. BREATH. CLEVE. WILL. SURELY. DELIVER.

The promo release vid has a memorial page for a fan who died 10 years ago ("He never gave up believing") which had me laughing in a sad way.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 12:05:26 PM

Heh. You will have plenty of time to get your shots in, since this thing seems to be vaporware. He must have sent Gabe a Top Pot gift certificate to get it listed on Steam at all.

I imagine most of the votes to Greenlight him came from the "put up or shut" crowd that has been listening to him go on for decades. I know if I had known it was up for it I would have voted yea too.

I can't get too much schadenfreude (thank you spellcheck!) out of this though. I'm not a shrink, but I've met plenty of crazy people and I think he might be clinically mentally ill. And as has been pointed out the only example of his coding skill we've actually seen so far has been a PC to Mobile port that actually, no kidding, called for you to use the space bar to jump. And even ignoring that the game was super crappy, even by early nineties standards.
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 08:51:25 PM

He pops in every day or two with a fresh line of bullshit. 90% chance mental illness, 10% chance master troll.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Grimoire (VERY old school CRPG. Demo available!)  
Jump to: