Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 605730 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2205 on: January 15, 2019, 12:08:25 PM

Spider-Man: Far From Home moved here:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=25999.0
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2206 on: January 23, 2019, 08:06:12 AM

This was kind of fun. Preference revealer questionnaire that tells you which marvel films you prefer...

https://czeckd.github.io/preference-revealer/dist/

Correct rankings...

Your results:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Avengers Assemble
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
Iron Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2
Captain America: Civil War
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2207 on: February 14, 2019, 06:49:28 AM

I'll tell you what I'm scratching my head about. Marvel has announced that The Eternals will begin shooting in August.

At this point, everybody should trust that Feige & Co. know what they're doing--Guardians of the Galaxy nailed that down.

I wasn't that surprised that Guardians worked because the Abnett and Lanning version they were drawing from was so good--I could see how they could make it work.

The Eternals, on the other hand, have literally never been particularly good or compelling in the three or so runs they've had of their own books, and they've only been mildly interesting as supporting characters in other Marvel titles. There really aren't any classic Eternals story arcs to adapt.

And the concept is a bit hard to square with the existing MCU unless (as I suspect) Endgame is going to change the past history of the MCU so as to make room for the X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. to emerge in a way that makes sense. The MCU up to this point has basically two major sources for 'super-powers': advanced human tech (Stark tech or SHIELD/Hydra military tech; Wakandan tech); and Asgardian so-advanced-it-might-as-well-be-magic tech/alien tech (Kree, etc.). The third wave of films is beginning to add a bit more--now there's magic and extradimensional magical beings; there's Spider-Man and his spider-bite. But you throw the Eternals in and you have a whole RACE of super-powered people, and the baseline concept is usually that they've been here all along. You could still have them be alien technology, as they sort of are in the comics (Celestial technology), but still.

If we leave the TV series out of it, I guess--otherwise you have the headache of the Inhumans in AOS, the Runaways characters, etc.

I'll be really curious to see what they do with the following aspects of The Eternals:

a) The mimicking of the Greek gods. That seems like a bad idea on multiple levels, but take that away and you instantly lose most of the actual Eternal characters. You could still have Thena, who was really not very Athena-like. Ikaris never really had anything to do with the Greek Icarus, I think Kirby just liked the way the name looked. (There's some weird dumb thing about his son dying or whatever--which makes Ikaris actually out to be Daedulus, which he is 100% nothing like--he's a big blond muscular warrior, not a thoughtful scientist.) Sprite is just a weird little kid-like character. Ajak is just a scientist with Kirby costuming, not a famous warrior. But you can't have Makkari (Mercury) and the others like Zuras who really are Kirby-costumed versions of the Greek gods.

b) The Celestials. We've seen them twice now in the movies, so they can introduce them more directly. I suppose that would be one way to push the characters into the frame--have the Celestial host land, seal off an area (as in Kirby's version of the comic), forcing the Eternals to come out of hiding. Maybe this is how Feige puts Galactus into motion as the next big bad for the Avengers, too, now that he's reacquired the rights.

c) The Deviants. Probably the most interesting element of this corner of the Marvel Universe--particularly the forbidden romance between Kro and Thena. But same issue as the Eternals--where have all these superpowered freaks been all these years?

Anyway, this is the first MCU film where I really don't know what they're going to do with the concept or what material they might use for adaptation/inspiration.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2208 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:37 AM

Huh. I forgot that Thanos in the comics is actually technically an Eternal. That could be a hook.

Feige has said that they actually are going to go for the idea that the Eternals inspired human mythologies. Maybe the Asgardians are also Eternals.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2209 on: February 14, 2019, 07:03:31 AM

Heh.  I never even heard of the Eternal's until your post.

But based on what you just said and quick wiki look through, that's probably the best angle.  Thanos going down reveals the (heavily adapted) history and presence of Eternals across the Marvel Universe.  Asgardians get a further explanation for existing, and it opens up The Olympians and other random weird fringe IP's.

I'm not saying the end result is going to be good.  But from a perspective of trying to exploit existing IP they have the rights for as their heavy hitters retire and building a new world to tell stories in, it's understandable.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2210 on: February 14, 2019, 07:48:47 AM

The Eternals are just such a weird set of characters, and at times they've been treated like a weirder, most mythical version of the Inhumans. I'm kind of amazed they are going ahead with a movie on them, but they must have an angle they really like. Seeing as how much stuff Feige and his people have had success with, I'm willing to believe they have found that angle.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2211 on: February 14, 2019, 08:16:17 AM

Yup, sounds like total ass. It will probably be good.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2212 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:55 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2213 on: March 15, 2019, 11:47:56 AM

Shocker.

I'm shocked.

It's Shocking.

So Surprised over here.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2214 on: March 15, 2019, 04:34:18 PM

Despite Iron Man 3, I was thinking Shane Black might be an interesting option.  But screw reason - I'm going to hope beyond hope that they change their mind, reevaluate and bring Gunn back.
I was hoping that the sudden silence by the actors meant they knew something.  They all seemed very complacent about the delays.  I didn't really expect this and thought I was engaging in wishful thinking at best... but I am very glad.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2215 on: March 16, 2019, 10:53:27 AM

Destin Daniel Cretton has apparently been hired to direct Shang-Chi. He doesn't have a particularly deep filmography but the few movies has has seem to be well-rated (two of them starring Brie Larson, The Glass Castle and Short Term 12, are both available to watch free on Prime).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2216 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:53 PM

May 1 2020: Black Widow

Directed by: Cate Shortland

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz, OT Fagbenle

November 6 2020: The Eternals

Directed by: Chloé Zhao

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh, Don Lee

Fall 2020: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+ TV show)

Starring: Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan

February 12 2021: Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings

Starring: Simu Lu, Tony Leung, Awkwafina

Spring 2021: WandaVision (Disney+ TV show)

Starring: Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany

Spring 2021: Loki (Disney+ TV show)

Starring: Tom Hiddleston

May 7 2021: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Directed by Scott Derrickson

Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olsen

Summer 2021: What If? (Disney+ TV show)

Starring: Jeffrey Wright, Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell (voices)

Fall 2021: Hawkeye (Disney+ TV show)

Starring: Jeremy Renner

November 5 2021: Thor: Love and Thunder

Directed by Taika Waititi

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman

TBA: Black Panther 2

TBA: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

TBA: Captain Marvel 2

TBA: Fantastic Four

TBA: Blade w/Mahershala Ali

Fair enough.

Slate goes a long way to fixing the MCU diversity problem.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2217 on: July 21, 2019, 12:53:38 PM

November 5 2021: Thor: Love and Thunder
Directed by Taika Waititi
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman

More Korg on the way.  None of that other stuff matters.

most often known as Drevik
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2218 on: July 21, 2019, 11:39:21 PM

Apparently Thor 4 is going to cover the "Jane becomes Lady Thor, Goddess of Thunder" angle, so I expect half the internet to explode in frothing rage as soon as word starts to properly spread.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2219 on: July 22, 2019, 01:59:59 AM

I can't adequately describe how i enjoy that particular fact. Maybe after that and the new female James Bond the heads of all those fuckers will explode.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2220 on: July 22, 2019, 02:01:37 AM

Lady Thor is one thing - it has been pushed as a comic story, but Feige has also been promising a more central gay Valkyrie storyline.

The best thing about the whole list is how much it will wind up idiots. There are very few shows and films with exclusively white male leads and none till 2021. Whereas the MCU started with over a dozen films about noone who isn't white straight and male.

I really don't usually feel motivated to go all SJW over anything but hey somehow Disney is doing a good thing.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2221 on: July 22, 2019, 06:49:59 AM

Be kinda hilarious if Thor 4 was a love triangle between Valkyrie-Lady Thor and Lady Thor-Man Thor
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2222 on: July 28, 2019, 06:34:00 PM

And maybe even Man Thor and Valkyrie in there for the Mexican standoff love triangle.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

My main issue with this announcement is that Natalie Portman kind of sucked in both Thor movies, and I was super excited to see her written out.  I don't really want her back in any form....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2223 on: July 28, 2019, 06:54:11 PM

And maybe even Man Thor and Valkyrie in there for the Mexican standoff love triangle.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

My main issue with this announcement is that Natalie Portman kind of sucked in both Thor movies, and I was super excited to see her written out.  I don't really want her back in any form....

Did Portman suck or did her role as Mortal Love Interest suck? I'm not going to judge any of the MCU cast based on their acting in either of the first two Thor movies. Hiddleston really got his role down in Avengers and continued to have fun with it in Dark World (he's about the only thing in Dark World that works). Hemsworth had the right look and was never bad, but again, he got some good bits in Avengers, and was... fine in Dark World. Those first two Thor movies though had Hopkins, Russo, Elba, and a bunch of other talented actors and mostly squandered them all.

I'll be more than happy to see a Waititi directed Portman taking on a potentially great story arc. However I'm somewhat curious how they'll handle the female Thor, given that when Foster transforms in the comics she becomes a tall, muscular, blonde woman rather than just Jane Foster in armor. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2224 on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:52 AM

Won't happen. Hollywood is, for the most part, allergic to muscles on women. It will be some famine victim who is somehow able to bench press Rock Giants.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2225 on: July 29, 2019, 06:43:50 AM

disney+ is gonna fuck up the mcu

it's gonna be too much and script quality is going to be horrific
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2226 on: July 29, 2019, 07:48:53 AM

Did Portman suck or did her role as Mortal Love Interest suck?

Not even that. Every role in the entire second film sucked.

Thor 1 she was OK.

Thor 3 had the only female roles that rose above 'OK' in the entire series to that point. So reasons to be optimistic.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2227 on: July 29, 2019, 08:12:30 AM

Portman allegedly wanted out of Thor and the MCU because of Ike Perlmutter and his "creative committee", which she felt broke a promise made to her by Kenneth Branagh, that she would get to play more than "the love interest". She's back because she basically rang Marvel up and said, "Soooo, Perlmutter's out and I love Watiti, so can I be in a Thor movie again?"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2228 on: July 29, 2019, 11:34:12 PM

disney+ is gonna fuck up the mcu

it's gonna be too much and script quality is going to be horrific
These are essentially 6 hour movies... with a far greater budget than Netflix had... and better actors in the pivotal roles.  This is what Marvel promised with the "All Connected" talk once upon a time. 

We'll have to see, but I expect Falcon &Winter Soldier will be better than a handful of the MCU movies and could be very good.  We'll have to see.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2229 on: July 30, 2019, 04:43:14 AM

Re:  Girl Thor.  I think that's fine.  I also think Natalie Portman is fine (better than, in fact, I am a fan).  But Natalie Portman as Thor?  I don't get that at all.  I am probably missing something, but how is Jane Foster "worthy"?  Does worthiness get transferred through semen (and if so, is that how Captain Ameri.....never mind)?

Oh well, I stand ready to be convinced one way or another.  These guys have earned the benefit of the doubt.  Even bad Thor is better than most other shit out there, IMO.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2230 on: July 30, 2019, 07:35:25 AM

Re:  Girl Thor.  I think that's fine.  I also think Natalie Portman is fine (better than, in fact, I am a fan).  But Natalie Portman as Thor?  I don't get that at all.  I am probably missing something, but how is Jane Foster "worthy"?  Does worthiness get transferred through semen (and if so, is that how Captain Ameri.....never mind)?

Oh well, I stand ready to be convinced one way or another.  These guys have earned the benefit of the doubt.  Even bad Thor is better than most other shit out there, IMO.

How is Thor "worthy"? It's a fairly nebulous concept to begin with.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2231 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:06 AM

Hows a newborn Vision worthy? literally minutes old.

I am the .00000001428%
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2232 on: July 30, 2019, 09:37:49 AM

Not going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole, but I think it’s gotta be a one-in-a-trillion sort of thing, and someone already pre-disposed to some manner of greatness.  That such a person happens to be his completely mortal ex-girlfriend is, frankly, idiotic.  But like I said, I expect they will pull it off well enough.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2233 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22:19 AM

Re:  Girl Thor.  I think that's fine.  I also think Natalie Portman is fine (better than, in fact, I am a fan).  But Natalie Portman as Thor?  I don't get that at all.  I am probably missing something, but how is Jane Foster "worthy"?  Does worthiness get transferred through semen (and if so, is that how Captain Ameri.....never mind)?

Oh well, I stand ready to be convinced one way or another.  These guys have earned the benefit of the doubt.  Even bad Thor is better than most other shit out there, IMO.

It is because of magic. Hth.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:23:57 AM by eldaec »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2234 on: July 30, 2019, 10:58:44 AM

Ask Odin.  He wrote the code.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2235 on: July 30, 2019, 06:39:03 PM

Not going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole, but I think it’s gotta be a one-in-a-trillion sort of thing, and someone already pre-disposed to some manner of greatness.  That such a person happens to be his completely mortal ex-girlfriend is, frankly, idiotic.  But like I said, I expect they will pull it off well enough.

Out of all the one-in-a-trillion occurrences in the MCU this seems like an odd one to get hung up on, especially since Mjolnir's destruction in Ragnarok means this might not be as simple as Jane just picking up the hammer one day.

Regardless, I could probably come up with at least 10 ways to explain away how she's worthy off the top of my head.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2236 on: July 30, 2019, 08:09:43 PM

Actually, thats a good point..... I totally forgot that the hammer had been destroyed.  The hammer didn’t always have that spell/digital code on it as Odin only put it on in the first film (After Thor had wielded it for centuries) to punish him.  So a replica hammer wouldn’t be the same.  And Odin also said the hammer was built as just a way to help him channel his power, and it all came from himself (are you the god of hammers).  Going to be some wacky shit happening to force this story line.

But whatever, Waititi gets infinite benefit of the doubt for Ragnarok.  I’ll love and support this movie right up to the point it turns out terrible or something.

To answer your earlier question, good points, I guess she just sucked as a love interest who didn’t have a lot to do and just got in the way.  Though looking back, I think the only films I’ve actually seen her in have been the Thor movies, V for Vendetta, and the Star Wars prequels.  So my opinion of her as an actress isn’t terribly high based on that small sample anyways.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:42:26 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2237 on: July 30, 2019, 10:46:58 PM

Hah, I had forgot it had been destroyed as well.  I mean, because it did sorta show up again.

Fine.  Who knows.  Like I said, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2238 on: July 30, 2019, 11:18:28 PM

Hah, I had forgot it had been destroyed as well.  I mean, because it did sorta show up again.

Fine.  Who knows.  Like I said, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
Well, the hammer that "did sort of show up", was borrowed from a past timeline, and promptly disappeared again with Rogers immediately after the big final battle, so if Lady Thor is set after endgame, the hammer wouldn't even be relevant.

I mean, if they really wanted to mess with us, Lady Thor could be caused by a ripple effect.  Maybe Jane was subtly changed by the fact that her past self had the Ether temporarily removed and then replaced (remember, Cap did have to return the stones back to their original places in the timeline).   Maybe they didn't get it quite right with Jane?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2239 on: July 31, 2019, 06:21:14 AM

This already happened in the comics didn't it? So they probably have an explanation?

And I'd guess that if I were writing something to explain this is in less than one line of dialog I'd go with 'the hammer chooses who is worthy and it has met Jane'. I mean, as script challenges go, this one really is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

And of course there will be a hammer ffs. A good writer would just say 'uh, we found it', or a bad writer would do something Moffatty.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:23:01 AM by eldaec »

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: