Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 610632 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1925 on: February 25, 2016, 12:42:47 PM

Iron Fist has  been cast.  Cox and Ritter were cast about 11 months before their series began - but this may be more of an indication of when Luke Cage is hitting screen as I expect Rand to appear there before getting his own series.

Hollywood Reporter Article

Maybe: Daredevil 2 in March, Jessica Jones 2 in Fall and Luke Cage Winter (Feb?) 2017?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1926 on: February 25, 2016, 01:00:54 PM

They just started filming Jessica Jones season 2.  Luke Cage is already done and confirmed for 2016. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1927 on: February 25, 2016, 02:54:31 PM

They just started filming Jessica Jones season 2.  Luke Cage is already done and confirmed for 2016.  
That doesn't match what I'm seeing: Zap2It article from today.  Jones Season 2 has yet to start shooting.  Cage is still shooting.
The character will headline the fourth team effort by Marvel and Netflix, following  “Daredevil (about to debut Season 2), “Jessica Jones” (soon to shoot Season 2) and “Luke Cage” (currently filming Season 1).
My understanding is that they're still in the middle of Cage (leaving the time for them to insert a bit of Danny Rand - less than we saw of Cage in Jones, but present).  AFAIK, Jones and Cage showing dates are not confirmed by Marvel, but November was discussed for Cage.  I had Cage and Jones reversed it seems - Cage (November), then Season 2 Jones (2017)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:57:45 PM by jgsugden »

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1928 on: May 20, 2016, 12:21:41 PM

Thor: Ragnorok additional casting announced.

Jeff Goldblum and Karl Urban were news to me, I'd heard (rumors?) about the others previously.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1929 on: May 20, 2016, 08:03:39 PM

I hadn't heard Goldblum as the Grandmaster.

THAT is a significant clue about what's coming in Infinity War, I suspect. So it's not just going to be Thanos but the Elders of the Universe involved...
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1930 on: June 03, 2016, 03:32:22 PM

Marvel has gotten back the rights to Namor.  So I bet we will see him in the next few years. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1931 on: June 03, 2016, 04:01:48 PM

Has Namor ever been the center of any good comics ever?  Everything I've ever read has him as a one tone character who is always angry and an annoying asshole.  Completely boring.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1932 on: June 03, 2016, 04:20:17 PM

Has Namor ever been the center of any good comics ever?  Everything I've ever read has him as a one tone character who is always angry and an annoying asshole.  Completely boring.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1933 on: June 03, 2016, 05:04:34 PM

Generally yeah, Namor is an asshole, and he's certainly no good as the centerpiece of stories. (The one weird exception I can think of is the semi-conclusion to the tonally uneven Super-Villain Team-Up where Doom has to fulfill an oath to save the comatose Atlantean people and Namor in the meantime fights off a Lovecraftian horror out of the abyss.) 

He's a good driver of stories where other characters are the protagonists--e.g., he's so rude and rigid and reactive that he can drive character interactions forward. Kind of the straw that stirs the drink.

I could see him being a serious antagonist to the Black Panther--two hidden kingdoms that are sure they're in the right, partly because of their kings. Maybe in a film that also introduced some version of the Savage Land.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1934 on: June 03, 2016, 06:33:20 PM

Has Namor ever been the center of any good comics ever?  Everything I've ever read has him as a one tone character who is always angry and an annoying asshole.  Completely boring.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I've never been a huge Namor fan.  At least he's not as shitty as Aquaman tho.   why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1935 on: June 03, 2016, 09:01:53 PM

I thought he was decent when he joined the X-Men in Matt Fraction's run. And sometimes having an arrogant, acerbic dick to play off of can make for some good jokes. Not sure how much a positive for the MCU this is though. Was he a part of the Fantastic Four rights?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1936 on: June 03, 2016, 09:14:53 PM

Apparently not--he was for some weird reason split off entirely and owned by Universal.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1937 on: June 03, 2016, 10:03:50 PM

I think the best use of him in the MCU would probably be to do a movie with Cap and the Invaders in WW2.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1938 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:00 AM

Peyton Reed interviewed at the Saturn Awards.

The Ant-Man movie won an award. They also talk about Ant-Man being in Civil War, and of course the Ant-Man and the Wasp movie.

Mild spoilers if you haven't seen Civil War yet.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1939 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:03 AM

For those that hear it - recent Fox / Marvel rumors originate from a Kevin Smith podcast producer that says that Fox is interested and has sort of talked about it with Marvel after seeing what has taken place with Spidey... which is nothing.  They've likely checked in on the idea every few months since the MCU kicked off.  Fox being interested in it is meaningless. 

Regardless, I don't think Mutants enter the MCU until they effectively reboot it.  I imagine that is on the table for somewhere in the 2020s...

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1940 on: June 28, 2016, 11:11:32 AM

Here. Look. This is easy. When you're writing a post, there's a button you can use.
The button's got an icon that looks like a blue circle with a tiny little document next to it.
Highlight some text, click the button, and enter the URL where people can go read what you're talking about.
That way it looks a little more like you're sharing, and a little less like you're an assertion-spewing know it all.

X-Men to join Avengers?

Collider Heroes interview of Matt Key, aka the "Kevin Smith podcast producer".

edit: "interview" is a misnomer, Key is a guest on their panel.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:13:13 AM by Hutch »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1941 on: June 28, 2016, 01:19:02 PM

I dunt lik yer buk lernen talk, hutch.

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1942 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:00 PM

This is not journalism.  This is a freaking message board.  I'll post a link to an article if they have anything more to offer than what I post, but if I get all the key info into my post... no need.   People that want details can Google for themselves. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1943 on: July 12, 2016, 06:02:47 PM

Apparently big rumors going around that Marvel and Fox are announcing a deal for Fantastic Four at Comic-Con.  Not sure how legit it is considering they talk about trying to keep the same cast from the last movie, which I doubt Marvel would go for.

Link so no one gets ragey.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1944 on: July 12, 2016, 08:47:07 PM

Zero chance of the same cast being used - the stink of the previous movie is all over them, and Miles Teller is no longer an it-boy.

Marvel didn't keep Garfield for Spider-Man even though he was fine, no way in hell they'd keep these guys.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1945 on: July 13, 2016, 04:57:55 AM

Yeah, they'll recast if this comes to pass. They don't want any connection to the past film.

They'd probably use the FF to kick off the next "phase" of their films, and so look for something they can tie them to that will sum up where the films are at that point.

I would also expect the MCU people to recognize that the only thing the FF brings that they don't have already is that "family" hook and maybe that sense of superheroes as explorers of the unknown rather than a paramilitary emergency force. I also would expect that they'd want to solve the big visual problem that the Thing presents (a character whose look is hard to get right who has to be on screen a lot, compared to the Hulk) and the even bigger visual problem that Mr. Fantastic presents (which is that when you see his powers in a relatively 'realistic' superhero setting like the MCU, he looks kind of disgusting. I actually think that's the one thing the recent film got right: Mr. Fantastic is right on the edge of body horror if you stop and think about it at all.)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1946 on: July 13, 2016, 07:58:30 AM

I speculate that given the recent trend of Chineseing Hollywood shit that Sue storm will now be an Asian hot babe and we will see lots of people throwing themselves around the set, pretending to be Kung Fu-ed by the invisible woman.

Could happen!

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1947 on: July 13, 2016, 08:13:52 AM

I speculate that given the recent trend of Chineseing Hollywood shit that Sue storm will now be an Asian hot babe and we will see lots of people throwing themselves around the set, pretending to be Kung Fu-ed by the invisible woman.

Could happen!

How is that a downside? At this point I would welcome an ass kicking Mei-Su Storm.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1948 on: July 13, 2016, 02:57:15 PM

I've been wondering if all the comic replacement of heroes with new versions is a set up for transitioning the characters in the movies.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1949 on: July 13, 2016, 04:11:07 PM

The problem for Thing is that he has to emote, in a warm fuzzy 'part of the family' way, and for more than a few seconds before going back to being a rage monster (as with the Hulk). That's hard to pull off when you are literally stonefaced. At least the Hulk's face is just green and brutish.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1950 on: July 13, 2016, 05:34:49 PM

Yeah. It's even hard for artists in the comics--many of them have described how the Thing is a serious challenge to do right. His body proportions are deliberately weird, he has to have fairly sophisticated emotional expressions (compared to the Hulk) ,etc. On film there's a serious danger of him looking like a rocky Muppet.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1951 on: July 14, 2016, 04:15:27 AM

Yeah weirdly the film versions of him have always been too... human shaped I guess? They portray him as a big guy with orange, rocky skin rather than a human shaped rock. I guess that's to avoid the CGI muppet look but from the comics at least I've always had the impression that he's distinctly not human shaped beyond the number of limbs and position of the head, more like some kind of old tribal carving of an idealised god.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1952 on: July 14, 2016, 04:25:43 AM

For one thing they need to stop giving him human eyes.  I know it's how they draw the comic but no matter which way you animate it, weird white eyeballs on a rock look goofy as fuck.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1953 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:17 AM

For one thing they need to stop giving him human eyes. 
But he's ol' blue eyes...

Just saw the netflix Defenders tease. Pretty happy about it, though I don't know who JJ is (haven't watched her series, don't remember her in the Defenders) and I liked Valkyrie/Strange/Gargoyle, but hey.

I do find it odd they're putting Cage and Fist into it before they've had even one season runs with their own shows. And ideally, I wish they'd do a season for each and then a few seasons of Heroes for Hire, because that would be pretty easy to spin stories for, both big and small (like it has been for DD).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1954 on: July 22, 2016, 08:29:44 AM

Defenders is basically going to be Heroes for Hire, without the hire part. You should watch Jessica Jones, it's really good. Also, one of the characters in it (played by Carrie Ann Moss) is Jeryn Hogarth, which if you remember Heroes for Hire lore, was the lawyer who basically ran the business side of HFH.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1955 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:47 AM

She's in my queue. I got so bummed that I was on the last episode of Daredevil that for some reason I didn't watch it and started watching Breaking Bad.

Looks like I'll break from Breaking at teh end of the 2nd season, watch the last DD ep and run through JJ. Is it me or is she the druggy landlord from BB?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1956 on: July 22, 2016, 08:46:03 AM

She is the druggy from Breaking Bad.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1957 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:47 AM

Luke Cage Fall 2016 (September, IIRC), Iron First Spring 2017, Defenders Fall 2017 with Punisher, Daredevil 3, Jessica Jones 2 timing yet to be announced.  Freeform (formerly ABC family) is doing Cloak and Dagger, ABC continue to do MAoS, ABC has said they intend to add another Marvel show by end of 2017 (likely to be an actual hero led show - there were unsubstantiated rumors that the two leading contenders were 'Amadeous Cho' Hulk, Hawkeye or Runaways - all of which seem unlikely to me... I'd think they might instead focus on Spider-Woman or Wonder Man). 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1958 on: July 22, 2016, 09:28:24 AM

Hawkeye from his Marvel Now book would be pretty awesome.

Wonder Man would be a terrible idea. Why not do a Dazzler series, too? West Coast Avengers set up  swamp poop
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1959 on: July 22, 2016, 10:35:56 AM

Hawkeye from his Marvel Now book would be pretty awesome.

Wonder Man would be a terrible idea. Why not do a Dazzler series, too? West Coast Avengers set up  swamp poop
Simon Williams in the MCU is Nathan Fillion.  That will be established in an upcoming film.  That, by itself, would make me excited about a Wonder Man show. 

Dazzler rights are with Fox (first appearance in X-men).  Tigra, on the other hand, if you want to get that West Coast Avengers vibe...  Let's pull in that furry audience.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: