Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617234 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: December 27, 2013, 11:06:52 AM

Merusk, try to finish reading a sentence before you comment on it.  The point is that both the comic world and the non-comic world cared more about the events in and around the Civil War books than about Secret Invasion, Avengers Vs X-men, or any of the others that Haemish listed.  The Death of Captain America, though a thoroughly annoying trick that has been done to death, was on CNN.com's front page.

Lakov_Sanite - Some of the movie stuff is updated versions of old stuff, but certainly not all.  Extremis (Iron Man III) came from a 2005-2006 storyline in the IM comics.  A lot of movie universe is based upon a balance of the Ultimates Universe and the traditional Marvel Universe.  Avengers II is capitalizing upon a VERY recent storyline name, even though the storyline from the movie and the comic series are unrelated.  They are pulling from everywhere - 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s... They're going to look at what makes the most financial sense.  Civil War, for all the reasons I mentioned, is one of several options that makes a lot of sense from a marketability perspective.  Also, it has the added benefit that you can have a lot of heroes without many villains, which is cheaper for Marvel/Disney (hero on hero action allowed them to have a lot of action in Avengers while cutting at least two villains that Whedon had in the original script). 

I strongly suspect that the big storyboard in Marvel headquarters that plots out future projects has Civil War on it, either in the column for projects in early development or in the column for future projects to do.  There is a certain sense in holding off on it until you get rights to more characters or until we're more invested in more characters, but I would not be surprised to see it in 2018.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #351 on: December 27, 2013, 12:04:56 PM

Merusk, try to finish reading a sentence before you comment on it.  The point is that both the comic world and the non-comic world cared more about the events in and around the Civil War books than about Secret Invasion,

My point is, no, they didn't.  You're delusional.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:59 PM

Merusk, try to finish reading a sentence before you comment on it.  The point is that both the comic world and the non-comic world cared more about the events in and around the Civil War books than about Secret Invasion,
My point is, no, they didn't.  You're delusional.
CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/15/captain.america/index.html?iref=hpmostpop
Fox News: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fstory%2F2007%2F07%2F01%2Fcaptain-america-buried-at-arlington-national-cemetery&ei=A-S9Utn4I8Td2QWmyIHABw&usg=AFQjCNHJwHSVOK8Zkq_Ju5ZVjDB4vKOYZw
Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=avjxuPKYtGsw

That was 4 seconds of internet searching for the death of Captain America.

While 99.9% of Foxnews qualifies as delusional, my statement does not.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: December 27, 2013, 12:40:31 PM

Er, it was the death og an iconoc character, with "America" in his name. Same thing happened when Superman died. And I didn't even know that the death of CA was related to Civil War in any case.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #354 on: December 27, 2013, 01:05:27 PM

Er, it was the death og an iconoc character, with "America" in his name. Same thing happened when Superman died. And I didn't even know that the death of CA was related to Civil War in any case.

This. The news media and the general public (the people movies are targeted towards) wouldn't even know or remember the name of the crossover unless it was "Death of (Insert Character Here)." Civil War means NOTHING to anyone that isn't a comics fan and that includes the movie producers.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: December 27, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Merusk, try to finish reading a sentence before you comment on it.  The point is that both the comic world and the non-comic world cared more about the events in and around the Civil War books than about Secret Invasion, Avengers Vs X-men, or any of the others that Haemish listed.  The Death of Captain America, though a thoroughly annoying trick that has been done to death, was on CNN.com's front page.

As someone who isn't in the comic book world, I haven't heard of any of these things. I don't really care either; don't comics kill off their characters and magically resurrect them all the time anyway?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: December 27, 2013, 01:17:12 PM

There are plenty of summaries of the event available, if you care.  They all pretty much note Cap's death as the coda and many call it a cheap ploy to limit the ramifications of the storyline.

Most of them also note that the entire thing was meant to relate to real world political issues of the mid 00s - primarily, the conflict between security and freedom.  They were taking issues that dominated the news then (and continue to dominate the news today) and putting them in comic terms.  It was explicitly designed, according to the interviews surrounding the event, to draw the attention of the world outside comics.  I don't think it was as successful as they hoped.  

For the record, I didn't read it at the time.  All I saw was this extraneous news coverage.  I then read it in hardcovers about 2 years ago when someone oversold it to me.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #357 on: December 27, 2013, 02:03:53 PM

And it sucked wet farts out of dead pigeons.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: December 27, 2013, 02:06:00 PM

Ok, *now* this thread delivers.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #359 on: December 27, 2013, 02:23:16 PM

For the record, I didn't read it at the time.  All I saw was this extraneous news coverage.

You did it again. 

Also, fluff pieces in human interest/ arts aren't major coverage. They're filler for page clicks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: December 27, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

For the record, I didn't read it at the time.  All I saw was this extraneous news coverage.
You did it again. 
Proved my point?  Yes.  I tend to do that when I take a position I can support.
Also, fluff pieces in human interest/ arts aren't major coverage. They're filler for page clicks
Whether there for clicks or to impart information - it was there.  Front page.  CNN.  Bloomberg.  Foxnews.  The label of human interest / arts does not make it any less 'major' coverage.

I'm done on this sub-topic.  Arguing it is pointless. 

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31:21 PM

I'm done on this sub-topic.  Arguing it is pointless. 
How
about
a
nice
game
of
chess ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: December 27, 2013, 04:38:37 PM

There are plenty of summaries of the event available, if you care.  They all pretty much note Cap's death as the coda and many call it a cheap ploy to limit the ramifications of the storyline.

Um. Look, I should be the target grahic for these people to get the buzz. I'm a 41 (would have been late 30s then) anti-social geeky guy who does not read many comics anymore but still has something of an interest in comics and other geekery. Fact is, I had heard about Caps death, but heard zero about it being in this big arc called "Civil War," or if I did at the time it was in such an offhand way that I don't remember hearing it at all. If someone like me had no idea it was part of it till an hour ago, then using Cap as an example is flawed. People were interested in Cap's temporary death, sure, but not really civil war and they never mentioned it as far as I remember.

I guess because it was in essence the concept was an unfocused mess. PEOPLE HATE MUTANTS but Spiderman, the Hulk and Deadpool are NOT mutants so they cool. Wat?

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: December 27, 2013, 07:04:26 PM

Deadpool isn't a mutant? Huh I always thought he was originally or was the healing factor artificial? Yeah the whole mutant hating but we love giant rock guy and man l made out of deadly fire was always a head scratcher.  In a way I like the movie universes being seperate for this fact alone.  Having mutant racism in the same world filled with popular meta humans is a stupid stupid idea.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: December 27, 2013, 08:24:07 PM

No, he got his healing factor through the Weapon X program. Unfortunately the artificial healing factor massively accelerated a cancer he didn't know he had, which rampaged though his body and brutally scarred him. And it altered his brain chemistry by aggressively replacing dying brain cells, driving him totally insane.

If you want confirmation that he is not a mutant... *beware image may not be safe for sanity*

Hic sunt dracones.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:26 AM

See above. It'd generate buzz. It is something big media can grab.

I don't think any of the plot at any level has anything to do with the public reception of the movies, nor do they need to generate buzz by pulling in comic storylines one thousandth as popular as the movies are.

I mean...what the fuck is The Avengers plot? Can anyone actually describe what happens in that movie? Loki allows himself to get captured for no reason then escapes also for no reason, then the Avengers fight him and some random aliens. I mean...it makes "Atlantis Attacks" look genius by comparison. The Avengers is Secret Wars 2 level of bad in terms of plot - nobody cares.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: December 28, 2013, 12:02:53 PM

Why the heck is it thar be spoilers instead of Thor be spoilers...

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: December 28, 2013, 12:50:30 PM

Why the heck is it thar be spoilers instead of Thor be spoilers...

Probably the most important and astute statement in pages.

beer geek.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: December 28, 2013, 10:26:21 PM

YOu mean you've never heard of King Thar? You non comic gook you

Hic sunt dracones.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: December 31, 2013, 03:57:43 PM

beer geek.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:27 PM

I'm more impressed with Rocket than anyone else.

Also apparently Warlock's cocoon was shown in Thor during the mid credits. I don't remember it at all.

I'm really hoping for a Captain Marvel movie in Phase 3, and I don't care if it's Mar-Vell, Carol, Monica, or a combination thereof.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #371 on: December 31, 2013, 05:43:36 PM

You do realize that you're more likely to see him in the JLA movie than anything else?

--Dave (Captain Marvel, aka Shazam, is a DC character)

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: December 31, 2013, 05:47:51 PM

You do realize that you're more likely to see him in the JLA movie than anything else?

--Dave (Captain Marvel, aka Shazam, is a DC character)

There are Captain Marvel's in both DC and Marvel Universe. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: December 31, 2013, 06:35:42 PM

And in fact, the DC one had to change it's name to Shazam! because of Marvel gained a trademark on "Captain Marvel".

beer geek.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: December 31, 2013, 06:40:35 PM

You just got geek served?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: January 02, 2014, 02:52:06 PM

To make it even more confusing, there are actually several Captain Marvels in the Marvel universe, both Male and Female. Comics everybody!

Hic sunt dracones.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: January 02, 2014, 02:55:08 PM

To make it even more confusing, there are actually several Captain Marvels in the Marvel universe, both Male and Female. Comics everybody!

Yeah. I just don't care to see Genis or Phyla, even though their names make me laugh.

Now a Cladus-Vell I would pay to see.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: January 02, 2014, 03:44:30 PM

The only Captain Marvel you will see in a movie is Carol. You might get a tiny bit of Mar-Vell if they show her origin in any depth... but I can see them skipping over him entirely just to avoid any confusion with all the Kree blah blah etc.

The only question is if they'll stick with the modern Captain Marvel branding for her, or if they'll chicken out and put her back into the Ms. Marvel to ensure the cheetodust dollars. Her new fanbase and demographic vs. her old one, who will bring more eyeballs to the film.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:18 PM

A green Na'vi; an extra from Pineapple Express; a Raccoon (?); Kratos, God of War; and one of the Ents from LoTR?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: January 02, 2014, 03:49:19 PM

Pretty much!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: January 02, 2014, 04:43:49 PM

A green Na'vi; an extra from Pineapple Express; a Raccoon (?); Kratos, God of War; and one of the Ents from LoTR?

Paging Alan Moore; but I hear he doesn't do "fun" any more.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: January 03, 2014, 03:53:03 AM

I for one am glad my safety is in the hands of that lot.

I think GOTG is really the First bite of the Marvel film making guys into heroes that are not well known, so it will actually be interesting how it turns out.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:10 AM

I for one am glad my safety is in the hands of that lot.

I think GOTG is really the First bite of the Marvel film making guys into heroes that are not well known, so it will actually be interesting how it turns out.

Short answer, it's going to sink or swim entirely on weight of the movie alone and not be reliant on name recognition.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: January 03, 2014, 08:17:48 AM

I was actually wondering how they will market the film - with a strong emphasis on the ties to the other movies, or as more of a standalone film?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: January 03, 2014, 03:52:34 PM

Ironman and the guardian's of the galaxy....

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: