Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 605893 times)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:26 PM

My understanding of Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver is that whichever movie franchise (X-Men or Avengers) uses them first owns them, so I'm tempted to think they are being used here in part to reserve them.

"Messing with probability" is such a dumb superpower - probability is not the cause of anything. If you flip a coin and it lands on heads it's because of the way you flipped it, air currents, etc - the probability of it landing on heads was 100% given the circumstances.

It's also a carte blanche to make dumb shit happen.

Statistical mechanics called, it said "henh?"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 04:50:53 PM

Margalis is correct, probability does not exist or even have theoretical meaning except in the perception of the observer.

Statistical mechanics is merely a strategy for combining the range of possible micro interactions, with an application of the law of large numbers to provide a useful model of macro behaviour of a thing, given the limited information available to an outside observer.

https://www.rigb.org/contentControl?action=displayContent&id=00000005671

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 05:02:09 PM

And you think comic book writers have a clue about anything you've said?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 05:09:18 PM

Go back to the coin flipping example. Say you flip a coin and it is going to land heads, but then Scarlett Witch uses her powers so it lands tails instead. What actually happened there?

She changed...air density? Made your thumb quiver as you flipped it? Slowed the rotation of the coin in the air? Those are all physical effects, not changes to probability. Probability does not determine behavior, it's a statistical aggregate measure. When you make something that wasn't going to happen happen or vice-versa you're adjusting the "probability" from one to zero or the reverse.

In essence she has the ability to make anything happen, which is why her story lines are so often lame. The Wikipedia section on her powers is pure gobbledygook.

Manipulating luck is a nonsense power that when taken to its natural conclusion is just the power to do anything. "My enemy randomly self-immolated, how lucky!"

And you think comic book writers have a clue about anything you've said?

There have been a lot of attempts to explain, change and retcon her powers, so on some level the writers do recognize that it's bullshit. Even if you don't get exactly why manipulating probability is dumb it becomes apparent when you write for the character and realize that it's carte blanche to do anything.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:10:51 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #74 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:02 PM

Also, Superman can't possibly fly. The laws of gravity and aerodynamics are against him.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:57 PM

Scarlet Witch's probability powers come from the same place that all the extra mass Banner pulls out of nowhere comes from when he changes into the Hulk.

Over and out.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #76 on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:19 PM

Scarlet Witch's probability powers come from the same place that all the extra mass Banner pulls out of nowhere comes from when he changes into the Hulk.
The same place that Mjolnir's mass goes (Hulk can't lift it, but he can toss Thor while *he's* holding it, so it loses mass when Thor holds it).  Obviously extra dimensions are involved.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 01:18:41 AM

Isn't Mjolnir's deal that only those who are worthy of the power of Thor can use it? It's not that it's physically that heavy, more of a protection against <blah> thing, where the thing is <not thors>.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 06:05:57 AM

Margalis is correct, probability does not exist or even have theoretical meaning except in the perception of the observer.

Statistical mechanics is merely a strategy for combining the range of possible micro interactions, with an application of the law of large numbers to provide a useful model of macro behaviour of a thing, given the limited information available to an outside observer.

NO, he's not correct.  Are you both stupid?  Do have no awareness of quantum mechanics?  No awareness of thermodynamics?  WTF?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:36 AM

Isn't Mjolnir's deal that only those who are worthy of the power of Thor can use it? It's not that it's physically that heavy, more of a protection against <blah> thing, where the thing is <not thors>.

Yeah.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 06:17:06 AM

So.. a wizard did it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 06:39:33 AM

Well, yeah.  He's a God, dude.  What other explanation is there ?  Advanced Science = Magic = Wizards.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 06:56:47 AM

There isn't one. It just amused me that 2 pages of superhero blerf once again came down to "Magic, shut up."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 07:50:54 AM

Also, Superman can't possibly fly. The laws of gravity and aerodynamics are against him.

There is a huge difference. Flying is a power with limits you can define. An audience can conceive of how an unknown thing can deliver a specific power like that.

Messing with "probability" doesn't mean anything, other than possibly "able to make arbitrary changes to reality". If your audience has an ounce of imagination they end up getting frustrated because it is never clear why you don't just solve all problems immeadiately with a power.

Trying to write a worthwhile story for that, even if it made any philosophical sense, is worse than trying to write for Hiro Nakamura.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:34 AM

NO, he's not correct.  Are you both stupid?  Do have no awareness of quantum mechanics?  No awareness of thermodynamics?  WTF?

Neither of those things impact what Margalis said.

Quantum mechanics is a dumb example that does not impact the way almost any real world statistics are calculated. But as it happens crazy land physics reinforces the point - probability is a function of the observer in combination with that which being observed to a greater extent in quantum physics  than any other field.

As for thermodynamics I have no idea why you think that changes the nature of probability.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:03:51 AM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:40 AM

So.. a wizard did it.

A wizard did it is a fine premise.

So long as we're clear what it is a wizard did.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 23, 2013, 09:09:49 AM

There is a huge difference. Flying is a power with limits you can define. An audience can conceive of how an unknown thing can deliver a specific power like that.

Messing with "probability" doesn't mean anything, other than possibly "able to make arbitrary changes to reality". If your audience has an ounce of imagination they end up getting frustrated because it is never clear why you don't just solve all problems immeadiately with a power.

Trying to write a worthwhile story for that, even if it made any philosophical sense, is worse than trying to write for Hiro Nakamura.

The number of possible energy states a system can be in directly effects how that system behaves, it's the wave function.  The probability of a system being in any one of those states is effected by the number of states that exist.  An observer only comes into play with the collapse of the wave function.  The electron orbitals of hydrogen are not dependent upon an observer.

If you accept the Psi function as being real, then the power to alter probably is effectively the power to alter the Psi function of a system.  I'm not a fan of Wanda, but dismissing her power as not meaning anything based upon real-world physics (rather than your readers just won't understand what her power is) chaffed me.  If she can alter the decay rate of an isotope, she could make it more radioactive and kill you with it.  The Marvel writers don't get this, I concede that.  The Marvel writers also don't get the magnetic forces are 1/c harder to generate than electric forces makes Magneto's required potential energy absurdly large, but that doesn't stop him from being a cool character.

They don't explain her power very well, or define it's nature and limits, but that is different from "it just doesn't mean anything".  They didn't explain why the Hulk increases mass in a universe where mass/energy is conserved, but we aren't dismissing the Hulk's powers.  Wanda's power is fine, if they define its source and limits a little better.  It's actually one of the less obviously physically impossible powers. 

That said, the character is bland and unlikeable and her costume sucks, I'll agree to that.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 23, 2013, 09:17:07 AM

I think people are seriously over estimating the physics knowledge of the world.  To most "luck" is a very tangible and real force, as bullshit as that is. Giving someone the power to change luck needs no explanation beyond that in the sense of explaining it for movie goers to accept.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 23, 2013, 09:30:44 AM

If you are arguing her power alters quantum wave functions, that would be fine. Except of course that makes her as powerful as God.

But it isn't the same as the power to adjust probabilities. Probability is the likelihood of the value or outcome of a given variable considering the information available to the observer.

If I flip a coin, P(heads) from my point of view might be 50%, when it lands and I cover it, it might be 100% from my point of view, but still 50% from yours. As for the concept of 'true probability' from God's point of view, its neither knowable, nor can we know if it exists. It certainly isn't useful as a concept.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:42 AM

I don't have the language or know-how to really articulate this, but what if you imagined that what the Scarlet Witch is doing is opening a tiny multiversal rip or aperture in a 'many worlds' kind of physics (which Marvel's comics often play around with anyway) and essentially substituting one coherent state for another, but she can't really control exactly which 'branch' she draws from or even entirely which 'branching point' she's substituting or stitching in.

So she points at the coin flip and maybe she gets a different outcome of the flip not by changing the physics of the flip in "her" reality but by swapping the flip with another universe where the flip came down differently. But maybe she can't control it well so sometimes she gets a flip where the coin fell on the ground or the coin is radioactive or the man flipping it has a heart attack mid-flip, etc.

The problem with this in the end besides yeah, it really doesn't make that much sense in terms of physics (but it's better maybe than 'controlling probability') is that in Marvel's continuity this kind of moosing around with 'many worlds' causality has already demonstrably posed a serious risk to omniversal reality (Hickman's current writing on Avengers is once again barking up this tree). She would indeed be a kind of God and enormously dangerous. Which is actually consistent with her history but also means there is just no way at all that she should be running around in a leotard fighting bad guys. At this point in the MU continuity, Tony Stark Hank Pym and Reed Richards would know enough to know that she has to be killed or rendered permanently harmless.

In the film? I dunno how they're going to handle her exactly. Particularly if they have a Doctor Strange movie coming--there's no way around it, Strange HAS to be a magician of some kind, even if you come up with a scienc-y explanation for magic, so you might want to do the same (more or less) for Scarlet Witch and really go to the "a wizard did it" line of explanation. Problem there in narrative or expositional terms is setting limits on what the character can do  that feel at least slightly thought through.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 23, 2013, 09:56:11 AM

Again dude, you are WAY over thinking this.  To most people "luck" is a tangible thing, does it have any basis in science whatsoever? no.  Will telling people "she gives others bad luck" make sense? of course it will.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 23, 2013, 10:02:15 AM

People think it is, then they sit around wondering why the 'luck potion' subplot sucks so badly.

Khaldun's rationalisation isn't terrible. 'The ability to shake things about but probably with unpredictable and arbitrary consequences'. But your entire plot is now deus ex machina.

And it doesn't relate to probability. But that isn't a bad thing.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:23 AM

In the film, you could essentially treat her like the first X-Men movie treated Rogue: a person whose powers are so dangerous and unpredictable in their consequences that she only uses them as a desperate last resort. Which is actually consistent with the Scarlet Witch's role in several Ultron stories--she's the only one who has been able to get past Ultron's other defenses by basically having a power that can't be defended against (but in at least one case she temporarily made him more powerful because of her inability to control the exact outcome of her hexes). So you just bring her along for the ride and don't really let her do much until some critical juncture in the plot. At which point, sure, she's a deus ex, but then so was Eric Solvang saying, "Ok, get Loki's staff and I built a backdoor onto the unbeatable gadget" or the Cosmic Cube in Captain America, etcetera. You can have your deus ex if you've established that it's a hail mary plot device that the characters have reason to be very afraid of using before the moment where they have no choice (or that they had no possiblity of knowing about before that moment).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 23, 2013, 10:58:08 AM

They've clarified a lot:

* No Pym in Avengers II.  Pym will be in Ant-man, although it is not clear he will be the titular character.
* Ultron is a 'Stark creation'.
* Thanos does appear in and impact Avengers II (I'm betting he (or an agent - the Ultimate version Collector?) puts a virus in Ultron, which will be Stark's army of unmanned Iron Man suits).
* We've been told for a long time that GotG leads into Avengers II, but does not overlap it (The GotG do not appear in Avengers II).
* Planet Hulk is not likely to happen during the next decade.
* Age of Ultron is only a name - the Storyline from this last year has nothing to do with the movie.  The movie will not have time travel, X-men, Fantastic Four or any of the other key elements of the AoU comics.  It is described as an origen story.

Another thing to note: By the time Avengers II hits in summer 2015, we'll have had about 25 hours of movies set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, 4 15 minute shorts, and 31 or so hours of S.H.I.E.L.D. The world will be more defined by the cohesive stories appearing accross episodes of S.H.I.E.L.D. than it will be by the various stories spread across the movies.  You can be sure they'll use the series to establish framework for the movie that is not essential, but enriches the movie.

And,  there is some pretty solid evidence that if S.H.I.E.L.D. is a monster success, we could see a second MCU TV series in 2014 giving us another 15 hours of MCU TV (Jessica Jones, Hulk, Daredevil, Power Pack, Black Panther and Heroes for Hire are all in some stage of TV development - I would think that a Daredevil TV series could give them an outlet for their 'Urban hero' tales (As seen in the comics in Spider-man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Batman, etc...) without too much of a special effect budget).  However, I'd place the more likely date for a second TV series to be Fall 2015 after the sequel hits.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 23, 2013, 11:45:02 AM

If you are arguing her power alters quantum wave functions, that would be fine. Except of course that makes her as powerful as God.

But it isn't the same as the power to adjust probabilities. Probability is the likelihood of the value or outcome of a given variable considering the information available to the observer.

If I flip a coin, P(heads) from my point of view might be 50%, when it lands and I cover it, it might be 100% from my point of view, but still 50% from yours. As for the concept of 'true probability' from God's point of view, its neither knowable, nor can we know if it exists. It certainly isn't useful as a concept.

This perspective just seems arbitrary.  I get that you and Margalis don't like the concept, she honestly isn't a favorite of mine.  Saying that probably manipulation doesn't mean anything, or that correlating her power to control of wave functions automatically give her God-like powers doesn't sound like opinion, it sounds like you're saying the power simply won't work.  Which I think is wrong.

Look at wikipedia's definition of, Probability Amplitude.  The wave function is a probably amplitude.  Being able to change a wave function is saying that the person is able to change a probability amplitude.  The square of which is a probability.  I'm saying that what Marvel means by, "she can control probability" is that she has some form of control over wave functions.  Being able to change a wave function is not the same as being able to change the wave function of the entire universe.  It's a matter of extent.  It doesn't immediately make her god like (although some of the comics kind of present her in that way).  That's an order of magnitude less suspension of disbelief than, he got dosed with gamma radiation or bitten by a radio active spider, require (from me).

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:14 AM

I haven't seen anything that actually states it will be a stark creation. Where was this? The only thing I've seen is that they say they are crafting a new origin.

If so, that's a helluva spoiler.

beer geek.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:39 PM

Terrible analogy.

Superman can fly because of magic. Magic cannot make things happen by altering probability as probability does not make things happen - it's merely post-facto observation.

My problem is not the magic part, it's the altering probability part. I'm willing to accept that magic exists but even if it does changing the probability of something and thus causing it to happen is nonsense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:55 PM

Like flying so fast one can reverse the spin of the Earth and turn back time?  Or being able to lift any amount of mass and size despite only having two tiny hands?

It can be just as silly and just as (un)defined.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: July 23, 2013, 01:02:04 PM

I think people are seriously over estimating the physics knowledge of the world.  To most "luck" is a very tangible and real force, as bullshit as that is. Giving someone the power to change luck needs no explanation beyond that in the sense of explaining it for movie goers to accept.

Discount the science/probability argument and look at the story-writing implications. There's a reason why stories involving Wanda are mostly stupid. One writer makes her use her powers to make a gun jam, then the next writer ups the ante and makes that gun explode, then the next guy makes the holder of the gun explode. Pretty soon you're at the point where she can explode an entire galaxy and why not?

"The Thing is pretty strong and can lift up to 80 tons" is pretty straightforward. "Scarlett Witch can make improbable things happen" can mean anything. "It's magic" is fine but her magic is basically the power to do anything - which is silly.

Magneto can do a lot of different things but they are at least loosely tied to his powers - at least some weak explanation is required for why he can fly around for example. Wanda can just increase the possibility of a strong localized gust of wind...

Here's a question: Can she increase the probability of being bitten by a radioactive Spider and immediately just become Spider-Man?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 23, 2013, 01:08:33 PM

I thought that they finally narrowed her powers down to reality alteration and not just simply probability manipulation.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:40 PM

One way to do it well would be to make her power strong but incredibly unpredictable in it's strength or it's affect. Make it so dangerous that even to her it would be a last resort.  I'm not arguing it's not a stupid power but we can't bring science into this argument because it can never be explained.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 23, 2013, 01:29:32 PM

Quote from: Evilrider
I thought that they finally narrowed her powers down to reality alteration and not just simply probability manipulation.

My point is that reality alteration has always really been her power.

Edit: As far as making her powers work for good stories, I agree that were her powers weak enough, small enough, or worked on a more probabilistic basis it could make for some good stuff. For example if she is fighting 50 guys with guns and 2 of their guns jam, one guy trips and shoots another guy, the fattest guy has a heart attack, etc.

But of course new writers come in and want to evolve characters, make them gain better control of their powers, shake things up - and Marvel is not good at disciplined editorial oversight. Her powers are very open-ended and ripe for abuse. If you want to make the Hulk fly you can get creative and have him jump really far but that's not really flying. You could have him flap his arms with super strength but that's just too dumb. But for Wanda if you want her to fly you can make her increase the chances of a strong localized gust of wind and now she functionally has flight powers.

This will be my last post on why I think she is lame:

1. "Adjusting probability" is really just adjusting reality - which is extremely open ended and ripe for abuse
2. Many of her story lines are dumb, in part springing from the nature of her powers
3. Marvel clearly has issues with her given the numerous attempts to retcon or change her powers in pretty fundamental ways
4. Her costume is ugly as fuck

Characters with very open-ended powers work in small doses but as major characters present a lot of problems.

Doctor Strange is an interesting comparison. What exactly can he do or not do? I don't know. It's worth pointing out that Dr. Strange has mostly worked better as a guest character than as a main character, and also that he deals mostly with crazy wizard mystical shit. When you're fighting some sort of demon sorcerer in another dimension you're already so out there that exactly how big a fireball he can conjure up is pretty irrelevant.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:43:31 PM by Margalis »

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 23, 2013, 01:34:12 PM

Quote from: Evilrider

My point is that reality alteration has always really been her power.

It's either that or chaos magic.  I think they waffle between the two.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 23, 2013, 01:57:01 PM

I haven't seen anything that actually states it will be a stark creation. Where was this? The only thing I've seen is that they say they are crafting a new origin.

If so, that's a helluva spoiler.
You're right - it isn't explicitly said in any coverage so far.  However, the graphic used at Comic Con, the events of IM III, Joss' comments that they need to utilize the existing characters in this story to achieve the origen, and all the other little pieces sprinkled down over the past 6 months pain the picture pretty darn clearly - I think it would be a big stretch to call it a spoiler at this point. 

My pet theory: They nixed the original post credits scene from IM III and have not announced what it was.  There were claims that it was going to have Iron Man in his space armor meet the GotG, but I (now) think it was going to be the first piece of the Ultron puzzle - perhaps seeing one of those suits of armor rebel against Stark?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 23, 2013, 02:15:12 PM

GoG just started production, so I'm not sure how that was ever a possibility for an after-credits scene for IM3.

edit: AH! I knew that rumor sounded familiar. It all came from marvel making "space suit" iron man toy, and someone extrapolated that as a possibility. But it was always stupid considering there's always crazy shit that is not in the movie that the toys are licensed on.

http://screenrant.com/iron-man-3-post-credits-scene-cameo/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:22:48 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: