Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 08:54:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 623207 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1085 on: October 09, 2014, 04:51:58 AM

Wasn't Deadpool specifically built so that Ryan Reynolds would portray him at some point, or is that internet legend?

A quick Google indicated the animated footage of Deadpool - voiced by Reynolds - appears to have been scrubbed. Someone else may be more interested in finding it.

Reynolds was mentioned for the role and did play Wade Wilson in the "Wolverine: Origins" movie, but obviously didn't play the Deadpool version of that character.

So yes, he's been linked and was in a promo animated trailer as Deadpool.

Deadpool needs a straight person to bounce the jokes off. Fox could shove in Cable and off we go.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1086 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:46 AM

Fox has already said that Deadpool WILL be a part of their X-Universe so there'll be plenty of opportunity for X-Men to be the butt of the joke.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:09 PM

I'm hearing that Stark (RDJ) will be in Cap 3 in a large role... sounds like the start of Civil War storyline... waiting for it to be denied, but it makes sense given story lines and contracts...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:11 PM

I'm hearing that Stark (RDJ) will be in Cap 3 in a large role... sounds like the start of Civil War storyline... waiting for it to be denied, but it makes sense given story lines and contracts...

I am disappointed in you.  Civil war is a terrible storyline for the MCU for one very big reason you likely aren't thinking about, there are NO costumed heroes with secret identities. 

You can't have some big hero registration arc when no one is making it a secret.  Maybe he has a big role in cap3, maybe he doesn't but jumping to civil war is way too far a stretch. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:25 PM

... and yet it is a stretch that every article is hitting.  Go read.

It has been obvious to some people that this has been a likely direction for a long time. 

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1090 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:09 PM

It really doesn't make sense unless it's the Civil War storyline in the same respect that Avengers 2 is the Age of Ultron storyline (which is to say, in name only). As Lakov mentioned, there are no superheroes with a secret identity in the current MCU. Also there's currently no justification for Stark to take a pro-reg side given what's happened with S.H.I.E.L.D. and that fact that Hydra agents had infiltrated the government. In IM2 Stark was already against giving the government any sort of access to his tech. After everything that's happened I can't see him signing on with the government. Of course the Civil War storyline in the comics didn't make a bit of sense either.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: October 14, 2014, 05:17:28 AM

Yeah reading the unconfirmed leak now.  Even if it's called civil war and pits captain america vs iron man it's not going to be the same civil war as in the comics, it will have to be adapted to fit the movie universe so hopefully they can fix how terrible it was.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: October 14, 2014, 05:27:20 AM

It's not exactly true that there are NO supers with a secret Identity. Spiderman has a secret Identity for one, assuming they are sticking his movies in with the MCU. The X-men movies played off the fact that the School was a secret Mutie hideout as well, and part of the plot was the Goverment discovering it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1093 on: October 14, 2014, 06:04:59 AM

So you're buying in to the "Marvel will pay Fox and Sony several billion dollars each to get the rights back" camp?

Because that's what it would take to bring Spidey and the X-men in for that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:33 AM

Yeah....what? Marvel can't even SAY xmen/spiderman exist without getting sued or paying out a shitload of money.  No way fox is giving up the xmen rights anytime soon,  Sony....maybe but still no where near cost effective for disney/marvel right now and not necessary as the MCU has plenty of heroes in their stable.  It's just that the current roster isn't very secret in their identities.

More than likely the movie will be about vigilante's and the law, either go to jail or work for a government type deal.  That story is a common superhero trope that hasn't played out in the movies and it's close enough to the civil war storyline but it's not really the same thing.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1095 on: October 14, 2014, 09:48:31 AM

sounds like the start of Civil War storyline

Please stop.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1096 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:08 AM

All I can say is even if they did by some miracle get other characters in the MCU I hate Civil War with a passion and I hope they don't come close to using that storyline.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:41 AM

Fair amount of the more serious press is starting to suggest they will use the civil war title, even if the comic book story makes no sense in context and was terrible.

There is room for a new story about government control if superheroes even if it would need to be an entirely different story.

The movie execs will like the idea of RDJ vs Chris Evans, and the death of Captain America has resonance plus would come at a convienient time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: October 14, 2014, 10:14:04 AM

Exactly, it will be called civil war and will carry over certain themes of fascism vs freedom but it's not gonna be civil war as comic readers know it.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:52 PM

I am disappointed in you.  Civil war is a terrible storyline for the MCU for one very big reason you likely aren't thinking about, there are NO costumed heroes with secret identities. 

You can't have some big hero registration arc when no one is making it a secret.  Maybe he has a big role in cap3, maybe he doesn't but jumping to civil war is way too far a stretch. 

I found a leaked copy of the script.

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:59 PM

Seriously?  Man, you folks just suck at eating crow.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1101 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:32 AM

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1102 on: October 15, 2014, 04:45:35 AM

Seriously?  Man, you folks just suck at eating crow.

No, you're right. I'm sure this will be a pretty faithful retelling of the comic version of Civil War. It just makes sense. Of course they'll have to change the whole beginning of the story. There's no Speedball, no New Warriors, and no Nitro in the MCU currently. Maybe we'll just have the public get pissed off that Iron Man creates Ultron or something. I guess that's kinda similar and might guilt Tony onto a Pro-Registration side.

And you'd have to tweak the main point of the story slightly. I mean there's not lot of dramatic tension in trying to register about a dozen superheroes who don't even have secret identities (and about a third of the Avengers current roster doesn't even have superpowers). We'll just say that the act requires them to be under government control. Kinda like how Cap got his powers in the first place, and where Falcon was trained to use his flight harness. Also Rhodes is presumably still military as well. And Hawkeye and Black Widow of course were technically employed by the government as part of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Tony had a working relationship with the U.S. military as a weapon's manufacturer until fairly recently in the movie timeline. I mean, I guess thematically a large part of the IM movies was about Tony no longer wanting to get his hands bloody by supplying people with weapons (which one would think would apply to putting superheroes under government control, especially given that the most recent Secretary of Defense, Alexander Pierce turned out to be in control of Hydra), but they can rework his motivations in a couple movies. I mean we can't really have him continue to be a character who would heavily lean towards the anti-reg side.

It will be interesting to see what side the Hulk takes, given that in the comics he had been blasted into space (by Tony among others) prior to the start of Civil War. One would think he'd be anti-reg given that he's been on the run from the military who want to study with Hulk in order potentially replicate it for military applications (General Ross also ends up helping to create the Abomination). He's good buddies with Tony right now though, but maybe it will be interesting for the audience to see Bruce get stabbed in the back by Stark so they can a taste of how comics readers had to deal with Iron Man being a total dick for a couple years. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch should have some interesting reactions to a registration act also given their unique perspective not only as mutants but as former supervillains working for their father Magneto as part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

And of course some of the main story beats are going to have to be reworked a bit. They don't have Spider-man so they can't have him join up with Tony first, reveal his identity, and then later join Cap instead. And there's no Black Goliath currently, and even if there was getting killed by a messed up Thor clone probably wouldn't have been likely. There's not really enough super-powered characters so the Fifty-state Initiative and Project 42 (the Negative Zone prison) probably don't really work. They could still have Cap getting assassinated at the end I guess, although they might want to avoid the time bullets this time. Brutally gunning Cap down might not be the best send-off for the character if the idea is to write Steve Rogers out after Chris Evans decides to leave. I guess if they wanted to they could always bring Rogers back with another actor and maybe it won't be too jarring.

Yep, they can make this just like Civil War as long as they change every single aspect about the story except for Cap vs. Iron Man, and maybe the part where Cap is shot by a character who had no real prior involvement in the storyline before that point.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1103 on: October 15, 2014, 05:14:15 AM

Dont forget that they dont have the Fantastic Four, so you lose all the effective influence of Reed Richard's super brain, plus the entertainment factor of getting to watch Marvel's First Family split down the middle on the registration issue.

And you also dont have, what, nearly all of the "illuminati" council.  No Exavior, no Richards, no Namor, no Blackbolt (yet), no Strange (yet), no Panther (yet).  I mean, heck. At this point, the only member currently around the MCU is Stark.  And given that their split on the issue is part of what set the entire thing off in a "big" way in the marvel universe...

I mean, unless Cap 3 is going to be set after a LOT of movies, about the only possible way they could use it for Civil War is if it was used very very losely as the set up piece for an entirely new round of MCU movies centered around Civil War. And I cant really see them doing that when they STILL have the whole Infinity Gauntlet thing steadily building with no chance of closure in sight for at least another 3 to 5 years.

Unless they are planning to do some kind of "Civil War Extremely Light" version or something.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:16:46 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:51 AM

What's troubling to me is that the discussion is revolving around what concepts / comic book plot elements that won't translate to the big screen. That's pretty much a given. What's important is the larger picture ideas working within the MCU framework. What's implied by this discussion about using Civil War as a script is how the MCU won't be able to contort into the *specific* elements of Civil War's comic implementation.

I can see a story that is about Regulation of the Powers, and division happening along those lines. Somewhat similar to how Cap 2 had the theme of Freedom vs. Security. What about the idea of something along the lines of a War Crime tribunal in response to some new Power that goes horribly wrong? What oversight do the Powers have? That's the good starting point for a good MCU movie based on Civil War.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1105 on: October 15, 2014, 07:30:43 AM

About the only possible story I could see them doing is saying if you have powers you must be a government employee.

And that doesn't work because of the limited number of people with actual powers.  Thor is an alien, not a US citizen.  Stark is just smart, not a super.  So... Cap (who could be argued is just a peak human specimen) and Banner whose spent the last decade running and hiding and is probably the last person you'd want to upset.  Is Strange a super?

They really need to dramatically expand the hero roster to have any sort of internal struggle being worth a movie.  Otherwise there needs to be an external threat, and Civil War isn't about outside forces.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1106 on: October 15, 2014, 07:40:08 AM

Like Kingdom Come the central anxiety in super power proliferation and attempts to control it. Makes some sense in comics there are literally 100s of thousands SP dudes running around. In the MCU there is handful at most. Especially since X-men are out of the picture.  Maybe if this inhumans thing takes off an then it could make sense.

Also Civil War seemed wildly unpopular so I don't know why Marvel would be eager to bring this turkey back.

"Me am play gods"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: October 15, 2014, 08:09:13 AM

The X-men movies also focus entirely upon the subject.  It would be a huge misstep to copy them, especially with the latest two being as good as they are.  It wouldn't be nearly as interesting without changing the tone of the Marvel movies as a whole.  (See the previous debate about casualties in New York and whether the movies are glossing over things or just trying to keep the mood upbeat rather than depressing.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:22 AM

Also Civil War seemed wildly unpopular so I don't know why Marvel would be eager to bring this turkey back.

I'm not sure it's widely unpopular. On this forum sure, but on Marvel Heroes it's like the majority of people have no concept of comics before Civil War and it informs everything they talk about. For example they think of Sam becoming Captain America as a repeat of the Winter Soldier story line, instead of the billions of times someone else became Cap or Cap lost the Super Soldier Serum and got old.  Ohhhhh, I see.

eta: also youtuber comments (especially on AMC Movie Talk) show this pattern.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: October 15, 2014, 08:29:44 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1110 on: October 15, 2014, 08:32:05 AM

No, no, jgsugden is totally right. Marvel will totally change their plans to make sure they use CIVIL WAR!

Look, I could certainly see Marvel using the NAME Civil War and maybe even making it about Iron Man vs. Captain America. But it won't have even the slightest similarity to the comic version other than those two elements because even movie people realize it was a shit story and the very concept makes no goddamn sense in the framework they've created. I mean, they could add another 6 heroes in Age of Ultron (we know they add at least 2 in Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and Black Panther and Capt. Marvel are both possibilities) and it still wouldn't make sense.

EDIT: Also, the Marvel Twitter account is clearly taking the piss.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:34:14 AM by HaemishM »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1111 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:37 AM

EDIT: Also, the Marvel Twitter account is clearly taking the piss.

You mean their Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies thing isn't going to be a major story too?

Damn!

why so serious?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: October 15, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

I love it when people restate things I stated a year ago assuming that I have no idea of the things I said...

The core of Civil War is heroes fighting heroes because of government regulation of the heroes.  The X-men were superfluous.  Spider-man, although in a lot of the stories, could have been excluded entirely.  The role of the FF was similarly NOT driving the conflict.  This will be Civil War in the same way that Cap II featured Winter Soldier, that Avengers was the Ultimates, etc...  That is what I've been saying all along.

I still have no friggin clue why you guys are so adamantly against anything I've said here when most of the online internet fan community seems to take it as a given.  It isn't like I'm claiming to have originated any of the things I've said about it...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1113 on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:20 PM

Spider-Man revealing his identity then switching to the anti-reg side and Reed Richards providing the scientific future prognostications that caused Tony Stark to double down on registration wasn't integral? Not to mention the whole creating a Thor clone who killed Black Goliath thing?

Those two characters were pretty integral to the Civil War story.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1114 on: October 15, 2014, 02:12:42 PM

I love it when people restate things I stated a year ago assuming that I have no idea of the things I said...

The core of Civil War is heroes fighting heroes because of government regulation of the heroes.  The X-men were superfluous.  Spider-man, although in a lot of the stories, could have been excluded entirely.  The role of the FF was similarly NOT driving the conflict.  This will be Civil War in the same way that Cap II featured Winter Soldier, that Avengers was the Ultimates, etc...  That is what I've been saying all along.

I still have no friggin clue why you guys are so adamantly against anything I've said here when most of the online internet fan community seems to take it as a given.  It isn't like I'm claiming to have originated any of the things I've said about it...

If the storyline has to be reduced all the way down to "heroes fight each other", then the first Avengers movie might as well have been called Civil War (Iron Man vs. Cap vs. Thor, Thor vs. Hulk, Black Widow vs. Hawkeye). We've already seen them fight each other more than we've seen them fight any villains.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:57 PM

You guys are just not thinking far enough into the future, we are talking 2018 at the soonest.  Ant man and Dr Strange and GotG 2 are already confirmed, along with Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones tv shows.  By the time the civil war story rolls around there could easily be plenty of secret identity super heroes in the MCU to easily do the story mostly as written.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1116 on: October 15, 2014, 03:25:31 PM

Except the part where they're talking about setting it up in Cap 3 which is a 2016 release.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1117 on: October 15, 2014, 09:44:39 PM

I think Marvel is doing every storyline over next summer.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1118 on: October 15, 2014, 09:54:15 PM

The first thing that jumped into my head was a joke Louis CK did years back about how it's been so long since he had sex that he has no point of reference for it anymore and that he just masturbates thinking about other times he masturbated. If they're going to start bringing back all their big stories of the past, they're just wanking it to their previous wankery at this point.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: October 16, 2014, 05:17:11 AM

I think Storm had to have chopped her head off to get her body into that position  swamp poop

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: