Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:06:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 128367 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #105 on: August 18, 2013, 11:48:01 AM

-Rasix
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #106 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:38 PM

PS  I tried playing "dark" because I wanted the special stuff but I can't.  Even saving after every kill, I can't get very far past the dungeon bit.  "Hard" is hard, too.  So is "normal".  You have no idea how completely I suck at this game so far.

Dark's extra armours and weapons require a lot of grinding to get the components you need to build them.

Honestly, if you just want the story then play on easy and go with the Magic skills, so you can have a multi-hit magic shield that deals damage and place magic traps whenever you like.

Combat for me was to dodge around a lot, light attack, then dodge back. Especially during fights where it it you versus a number of opponents. Once you level up a bit, get some more skills and better weapons / armour, things become a lot easier.

Bombs can help too.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #107 on: August 18, 2013, 08:16:15 PM

After spending time in the first few combats just abusing Yrden setups with risk averse style of engagement, I decided to go gung-ho on a pair of soldiers by the ramp, with no Quen up.
I got killed. I must be getting rusty.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #108 on: December 29, 2013, 06:49:11 PM

Youtube 1m34s

New trailer. Not terribly informative but better than a stone on the head*!

Btw, I genuinely recommend anyone to read the Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski.

*Austrian saying.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #109 on: December 30, 2013, 07:41:41 AM

Youtube 1m34s
New trailer. Not terribly informative but better than a stone on the head*!
We say "Better than a kick in the ass."  So it translated just fine.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: March 11, 2014, 11:12:27 AM

Delayed until February of 2015  Heartbreak

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #111 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:24 AM

Need more time to remove jumping and rope arrows.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 11, 2014, 11:30:20 AM

I'm not sure whether to be happy they are willing to postpone the release to make it better or concerned that they feel that they can't finish it in the next 9 months (for a christmas/end of the year release) like they planned.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #113 on: June 05, 2014, 11:33:59 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #114 on: June 05, 2014, 11:46:52 AM

Still too damn far away.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #115 on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:44 PM

I worry it will be the same as the last two. I'll anticipate for months, buy it day one, enjoy it for five hours, realize I hate the combat system and quit after chapter one.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 06, 2014, 12:27:15 PM

I worry it will be the same as the last two. I'll anticipate for months, buy it day one, enjoy it for five hours, realize I hate the combat system and quit after chapter one.

Honestly, at this point people who are still buying games day one basically deserve to have wasted their money.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #117 on: June 06, 2014, 01:02:20 PM

Honestly, at this point people who are still buying games day one basically deserve to have wasted their money.

Unfortunately, it's true.  As I learned with Watch_Dogs. 

I don't have a problem throwing ~$20 at an indie dev to get them rolling to start.  I no longer will buy $60 AAA games on day one, though.  I make a lot of money, but I won't just throw my cash away anymore.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 06, 2014, 01:05:05 PM

I bought W2 day one and loved it.  Combat sucked, whoop de freaking doo, was still incredibly fun.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

Reply #119 on: June 06, 2014, 01:08:39 PM

Game will likely be a buggy piece of unbalanced shit until the inevitable "enhanced edition" comes out. And open world?  Good luck running it on last year's machine.

I'll likely buy on it on day one and not complete until a year later.  Par for the series.  I could save myself some grief and just get it on a Steam sale for 75% off at some point.

I bought W2 day one and loved it.  Combat sucked, whoop de freaking doo, was still incredibly fun.

You tend to do a lot of it.  And it's somewhat required to advance through the story.  Combat simply sucking is one thing (like in Witcher 1.  It was dumb, but manageable), combat sucking in a way that gates your advancement is another.

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 06, 2014, 01:19:22 PM

It's been mentioned here before but I'll expand for the sake of clarity.  Combat sucked "at first" but once you got one or two spells it was infinitely improved.  I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything but saying two was objectively a bad game is ridiculous.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #121 on: June 06, 2014, 01:40:07 PM

I'm about a billion times more worried about them making romance options awesome like in Witcher 1 again. Combat will be what it is. Its a great MC, plus a cool setting plus decent enough rpg story without retarded jrpg-style grinding AND hopefully the return of sex cards that I'm looking forward to.

Witcher 2 was a massive massive step down despite the modernized combat because the sex minigame no longer existed to make exploring and talking to everybody feel more worth it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #122 on: June 06, 2014, 01:50:11 PM

Yeah I think the sex card collectors would probably put that high on the list, but I'm not sure how it affects their intent to make the game for broader audiences.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 06, 2014, 07:11:58 PM

New trailer

Seems like it'll be as risque as 2. Didn't play 1. Hated the 2 combat until I loved it.

Really looking forward to 3. If they achieve even slightly more open world. I'm in. Shit, even if they just continue the story in the same engine, up-ressed for modern hardware, I'm in.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #124 on: June 07, 2014, 02:02:37 AM

Probably not day one, but this is a definite purchase for me.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 07, 2014, 01:08:23 PM

Yeah I think the sex card collectors would probably put that high on the list, but I'm not sure how it affects their intent to make the game for broader audiences.

There will be no sex card cause You know... story wise Geralt is back to his beloved Yennefer.
I like Tyvin Lannister as Emperor Emhyr var Emreis :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:10:30 PM by disKret »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #126 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:37 PM

Like with the previous two gonna be day one for me purely as support for what they're doing. (well ok, and I actually liked the previous two, warts and all, so that's not much of a conflict)
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: October 25, 2014, 03:37:33 AM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 06, 2014, 03:27:18 AM

I couldn't be bothered to find the Witcher 2 thread, so I'm doing a brief hijack.

I'm thinking of playing this, but potions and crafting are major dislikes for me, especially in RPGs. Can I just put the combat down a level and play without them, and will the game still be fun?
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 06, 2014, 05:44:36 AM

One day I will try to play Witcher 2 again and not be frustrated with the combat....
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #130 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:11 AM

I couldn't be bothered to find the Witcher 2 thread, so I'm doing a brief hijack.

I'm thinking of playing this, but potions and crafting are major dislikes for me, especially in RPGs. Can I just put the combat down a level and play without them, and will the game still be fun?

You need potions to help with combat, but you can ignore crafting on easier difficulty settings.

Magic is considered to be the 'easiest' xp tree to go with in the Witcher 2 iirc.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #131 on: November 06, 2014, 06:14:00 AM

Yes, I almost never used potions. I just put difficulty on easy and played through the story, and I had a lot of fun.

The combat is punishing for no reason, and it has nothing to do with skill for the most part. It has to do with shit like potions, min-maxing, and animation timers.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 06, 2014, 06:30:45 AM

Ta.

Yeah I gave it a bit of a go.

Unfortunately it has a bit of that 'realistic graphics look very dated when they're even slightly superseded' going on. Shadow of Mordor flat out makes it look bad. Also the PC voice actor is the worst of the lot, which is really annoying. I think I've decided I'll just read a good book if all I'm getting out of it is the story.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 07, 2014, 04:38:00 PM

So they're offering 16 free dlc, 2 per week: http://thewitcher.com/news/view/867
They've mentioned horse armor, beards and alternate costumes so far. It's a nice deal, sort of fluff that usually gets charged for.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: December 08, 2014, 10:41:31 AM

Witcher 3 delayed another 12 weeks.
I have to say that since this isn't the first delay for this game I'm having some doubts as to whether they can deliver what they are promising. I'll probably cancel my preorder and buy the game once it has been out long enough time for them to "fix things".  Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #135 on: December 08, 2014, 11:45:09 AM

Witcher 3 delayed another 12 weeks.
I have to say that since this isn't the first delay for this game I'm having some doubts as to whether they can deliver what they are promising. I'll probably cancel my preorder and buy the game once it has been out long enough time for them to "fix things".  Ohhhhh, I see.

You'd be crazy to have a pre-order in at this point. I like this series a lot, but this is obvious writing on the wall, and I refuse to fall for it anymore. Nobody delays things for awesome reasons in this day and age. It has to be so horrifically fucked up it's unreleasable and won't stop crashing. I mean honestly have you seen some of the shit that just gets to release now? Characters had no faces in AC4.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #136 on: December 08, 2014, 12:32:30 PM

I'm frankly more suspicious of projects that don't roll back than ones that do at this point, personally.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #137 on: December 08, 2014, 12:36:11 PM

I would be more positive about this news if it wasn't this company involved.  

I'm really hoping at this point that I can fight off my inner derp and hold off until the inevitable EE patch.  And by then all of you will have figured out the best way to deal with the combat.  I guess it'll depend on how desperate I am for a new game at that point.

edit: Man, reddit really has a hard-on for CDPR. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:29:19 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:58 PM

I'm frankly more suspicious of projects that don't roll back than ones that do at this point, personally.

Unfortunately this isn't the first delay for the game and to quote the message last March for the delay:
"Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us. Consequently, we have set the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for February 2015. "
So they failed to achieve increase in "the quality" with the extra months that their original game lacked and now need 12 more weeks to get something releasable ready.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #139 on: December 08, 2014, 01:51:44 PM

So you'd rather it come out sooner and buggier? I'm not sure I really understand the problem here. It's not like they're Chris Robertsing you here with a game that will never come out, and they have GOG income to float them until it is ready so they're probably not going to run out of funds by pushing it out a few months.

I mean yes, ideally every game would come out on time and bug-free, but that's not reality and I think cases like this where they go 'whoa wait' are generally far preferable to stuff that gets rushed out the door and needs an EE to fix. I expect the reasons I will hate this game to have nothing to do with its bugginess, myself.  why so serious?

I've had a couple projects that I had to choose between 'delay by two months' and 'might be ok, might be a career-wrecking disaster' so it's not very hard for me to understand why they'd choose to delay. It's also better overall for their customers.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  
Jump to: