Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 College Football  (Read 93636 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 09:05:46 AM

Nebu you played in college right? Is there a chance you could be in on the class-action of the NCAA suit?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 09:10:02 AM

That's not even a slap on the wrist... more like a tickle with a feather.

Fuck me, but the NCAA is fucking useless.

I wonder who got nice comfy endorsements or jobs at Nike as a complete coincidence.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 10:04:48 AM

Nebu you played in college right? Is there a chance you could be in on the class-action of the NCAA suit?

I wasn't a scholarship athlete, so I don't think I would be included.  I was a walk-on that happened to have a great work ethic and be the beneficiary of playing a position on a team with poor depth at that position and lots of injuries.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:49 AM

Finally going to a school that doesn't look at their football team and laugh openly (Minnesota --> Texas). 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 02:24:37 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:19 PM

God the media gets its panties in a wad so easily in the summer. This guy isn't a bad kid, he's just pulling the same guy bullshit we all would with that kind of fame. If he gets into trouble with drugs, DUI, or guns? Yeah, the media should crawl up his ass.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 03:35:03 PM

He's on the borderline for doing something really fucking stupid. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 04:25:43 PM

I think we all were to a degree when it came to drinking in college. That's pretty much all I see here with Johnny Football. He's a drunk idiot in the offseason.

Where you start to see people go off the rails is with drugs or guns.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 04:32:01 PM

I'd rather see athletes smoking weed than drinking heavily myself, if I had to pick.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 04:36:44 PM

I'd rather see athletes smoking weed than drinking heavily myself, if I had to pick.

If it was legal in Georgia, I'd agree. However, it's not so people get suspended for it on the UGA program.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 06:57:27 AM

If it was legal in Georgia, I'd agree. However, it's not so people get suspended for it on the UGA program.

It's also not legal for 20 year old kids to drink. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 07:02:22 AM

While accurate, an underage drinking citation doesn't carry the same weight in the athletic department at our school that a pot bust does.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:33 AM

I agree with Ingmar that weed is probably less harmful than drinking all the time.  My issue is that Manziel doesn't strike me as a kid with a whole lot of sense (not that he's an idiot, but he's a 20 year old wildman) and he's got a hell of a microscope on him, like it or not.  He needs someone to professionally advise him on what to do or he could see his draft status skid significantly.  I would also say that it only takes one time of getting into a DUI accident (and you just know that Manziel is driving around drunk) to ruin his career and possibly land him in jail. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:53 AM

I think you're putting too much emphasis on drinking in terms of the NFL status. Stafford was a wildman fuckup at UGA too, and that was well-known by staff and the NFL scouts. He never got a DUI. I don't think it's a given that just because Manziel is a drunk fuckup as well that he'll end up behind the wheel and in cuffs.

Also, I'll point to the honey badger as a way weed can fuck up your draft status.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 12:44:25 PM

Oh, if Manziel continues the way he is without getting in real trouble nobody will give a shit.  I think you're missing the point though- It has nothing to do with whether or not he's acting like a typical American college fratboy.  He doesn't get that luxury.  The mainstream press has the capability to crucify someone. Honey badger got about 1/100 of the media attention of Manziel, and it's really going to be a circus around the guy this year.  And once the media is that on to someone you can guarantee that the police are going to have their radar up for him.  Manziel needs someone to tell him to calm the fuck down, IMO. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 01:05:35 PM

Sure the media wants to make him a story. Because it's summer.

See, here's my thing on this. Manziel was a one hit wonder. He's not motivated to be part of an A&M team we know doesn't have a legitimate chance of beating Alabama twice in a row. They won't sneak up on anybody. ESPN will hype the ever loving shit out of the A&M and Alabama game on September 14th. My prediction is it will be a complete letdown. Alabama will grind them down with a redone defense specifically keyed on stopping just Manziel.

Then the hype train derails, and he spends the rest of the season waiting to get out of college station. Because he ain't beating LSU either.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 02:51:13 PM

You're probably right.  I don't think A and M's team is nearly as good, overall.  I bet they lose 4-5 games.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:20 PM

It's certainly possible. Arkansas will be better (they can't get worse), Ole Miss will have a much better defense through recruiting, Alabama's D is going nowhere nor is their running game, and LSU has an actual offensive coordinator. Also I wouldn't put it past Auburn to get bowl eligible this year.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 12:26:26 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130722/grand-canyon-university-pac-12-protest/

So it begins...

...Mueller's company, Grand Canyon University, in Phoenix, is in the process of becoming the first-ever for-profit university to join the NCAA's Division I ranks. The Antelopes (hence, the ticker symbol) accepted an invitation to the WAC last December when the oft-raided league was on life support.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:39 PM

Well, I guess that's the point where I join in with the 'burn it down' crowd. I would love the Pac 12 and Big 10 to knock the game board over and take the Rose Bowl with them.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 01:41:12 PM

Well, I guess that's the point where I join in with the 'burn it down' crowd. I would love the Pac 12 and Big 10 to knock the game board over and take the Rose Bowl with them.

What would that prove? Both leagues got caught cheating under the current system at the highest levels multiple times. They've in neck deep with everybody else, and in many cases are the ones driving the bus.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 04:26:55 PM

Get the SEC involved and it very well may happen.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 22, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

What would that prove? Both leagues got caught cheating under the current system at the highest levels multiple times. They've in neck deep with everybody else, and in many cases are the ones driving the bus.

I'm not putting it out as something to prove anything, I just want Big Game and a trip to the Rose Bowl every 50 years or so and everything else is shit I don't care about.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 05:01:50 PM

I think rivalries are extremely important to the sport, and the conference additions did a lot to put those in jeopardy. That's why I think it's important for all the big conferences to get together. However, I also believe that the move towards a playoff puts more of the top tier conferences on notice that they can't get away with only 2/3 of the schedule being conference games.

Ideally, dumping the NCAA (if the Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12, ACC, and SEC all collaborated) would produce the best 60-70 teams in the nation that matter, and remove the stain on football that is the bottom 50-60 teams that require a paycheck from the big boys to stay afloat. Every team could play 9 conference games, one cross conference rival, and 2 random teams from a rotation of the other conferences.

At that point, everybody wins. The players (if O'Bannon case prevails) could actually get a royalty for their name usage, and/or the players could draw a stipend because the NCAA stupidity rules would be replaced by a new agreement. The teams get more money from better deals that produce better TV for better matchups. The fans get better games to watch with none of the dregs cupcake games that fill up a home schedule like a preseason NFL lineup. The playoff could be expanded to 8 teams so you get 5 champions and 3 wild cards. The Big Bowls could stay involved, and the small bowls could continue as they are outside the playoff system, culling the really stupid ones like the Beef O Brady bowl, etc.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:32 AM

Southwestern Oaklahoma State is going with a novel theme for their helmets.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
WayAbvPar

Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 08:17:24 AM

I wasn't aware 'roadkill' was a theme.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 08:40:24 AM

Nice to see them sponsored by Cabela's.  why so serious?

edit: only one L in that... doh!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:37 PM

I wasn't aware 'roadkill' was a theme.

You haven't been to Mississippi then, have you?  Boy? 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:18 PM

I'm sort of shocked it passes uniform regulations.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #64 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:38 PM

Car crash last night killed an A&M freshman and an incoming Utah recruit (and injured another incoming Ute who was driving so is probably going to have some major psychological issues about it as two of the dead were his brothers and the other his best friend).  Drowsy driving and no seat belts.  So preventable. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #65 on: July 30, 2013, 07:50:00 PM

So dangerous. It's something to remember every time you go on a road trip. I know for one that I drove really tired once by myself coming from a GA/FL game with the AC on full blast. By the time I made it back, I realized I'd never do it again.

It sucks that these kids never got that chance to make a mistake and live to tell about it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #66 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:49 PM

How do people ride cars without seatbelts? It was drilled into me in driver's ed so hard that I feel naked without one.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 30, 2013, 09:23:56 PM

They're probably really uncomfortable if you're football player-sized.

Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:48 AM

They're probably really uncomfortable if you're football player-sized.

Which is a bullshit excuse when it comes to safety. I assume this was an off the cuff remark so I am not directing anything here at you, but I have heard this before from people that do not wear seatbelts and it drives me nuts. Cars and trucks now have adjustable seatbelts - they might not be the perfect fit, but shit keeps you alive. Not wearing them is just fuck-stupid IMHO.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #69 on: July 31, 2013, 06:04:48 AM

How do people ride cars without seatbelts? It was drilled into me in driver's ed so hard that I feel naked without one.

Hell, my parents told me the car wouldn't even start without my seatbelt buckled.  I believed that until I was 10 or so.  

I can only imagine some 300 pound lineman hurtling around a car at 50 miles per hour plus.  That's crazy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 College Football  
Jump to: