Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:08:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 College Football  (Read 94002 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #70 on: July 31, 2013, 02:17:19 PM

They're probably really uncomfortable if you're football player-sized.

Which is a bullshit excuse when it comes to safety. I assume this was an off the cuff remark so I am not directing anything here at you, but I have heard this before from people that do not wear seatbelts and it drives me nuts. Cars and trucks now have adjustable seatbelts - they might not be the perfect fit, but shit keeps you alive. Not wearing them is just fuck-stupid IMHO.

Yeah I am not excusing anything, just pondering what might cause someone to not wear it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #71 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:26 PM

I'm sure this will teach Johnny Manziel nothing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #72 on: July 31, 2013, 02:32:50 PM

But Tim Tebow might...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:48 AM

What are the odds that Lane Kiffin gets shitcanned after this year?   awesome, for real
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:18 PM

What are the odds that Lane Kiffin gets shitcanned after this year?   awesome, for real

One can only hope at this point.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 02, 2013, 12:17:50 PM

Why would anyone but a USC fan hope for that?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #76 on: August 02, 2013, 12:27:25 PM

Why would anyone but a USC fan hope for that?

So we can watch him fail upwards again.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: August 02, 2013, 12:46:09 PM

So what, he'll get axed at USC and go on to coach Alabama next year?  why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #78 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:03 PM

No, Georgia awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #79 on: August 02, 2013, 01:05:24 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #80 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:20 PM

I must admit, the anguish Paelos would express if Lane Kiffin were hired at Georgia would be darn amusing to watch.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #81 on: August 02, 2013, 01:12:52 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: August 02, 2013, 03:18:46 PM

I said Georgia cause they are ranked 5th in the preseason poll which seems high to me so when they inevitable fail to meet that expectation they'll be looking for a new head coach awesome, for real
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #83 on: August 03, 2013, 05:43:41 AM

No, Georgia awesome, for real

If there's a god this will happen.
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 03, 2013, 06:15:07 AM

No way Kiffin gets another HC position any time soon. Dude would probably turn to sportscasting before running into that bee's nest.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 08:21:08 AM

Manziel under investigation for possibly getting paid to sign autographs in the winter.  

The NCAA is investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was paid for signing hundreds of autographs on photos and sports memorabilia in January, "Outside the Lines" has learned. Two sources tell "Outside the Lines" that the Texas A&M quarterback agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee during his trip to Miami for the Discover BCS National Championship. Both sources said they witnessed the signing, though neither saw the actual exchange of money.

This kid is dumber than a post.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Addendum-  No more free signings!

A prominent autograph broker on EBay, based in the Southeast, said that Nate Fitch -- Johnny Manziel's friend and personal assistant -- approached him last season to let him know that Manziel would no longer be signing autographs for him without compensation, according to ESPN's Joe Schad.

I have to wonder why he was doing free signings in the first place.  And what does "free" actually mean?   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:39:39 AM by ghost »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #86 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:04 PM

Yeah.  Manziel is pretty well fucked

An East Coast autograph broker told ESPN on Tuesday that Johnny Manziel was paid $7,500 for signing approximately 300 mini- and full-sized helmets on Jan. 11-12 while he was attending the Walter Camp Football Foundation event.

The broker played two cell phone videos for ESPN showing Manziel signing white Texas A&M helmets and footballs laid out on a bed in a hotel room. The video does not show Manziel accepting any money.

A and M doesn't have any choice but to suspend him until all this stuff shakes out.  I'm sure he'll be eligible by the Alabama game though.
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 06, 2013, 12:36:35 PM

Yeah.  Manziel is pretty well fucked

An East Coast autograph broker told ESPN on Tuesday that Johnny Manziel was paid $7,500 for signing approximately 300 mini- and full-sized helmets on Jan. 11-12 while he was attending the Walter Camp Football Foundation event.

The broker played two cell phone videos for ESPN showing Manziel signing white Texas A&M helmets and footballs laid out on a bed in a hotel room. The video does not show Manziel accepting any money.

A and M doesn't have any choice but to suspend him until all this stuff shakes out.  I'm sure he'll be eligible by the Alabama game though.

As the rules stand, yeah, kinda dumb. But... it is a bullshit rule. It is his likeness/signature - he should have full ownership over it and if some moron wants to pay him for it, then so be it. Winds of change can't come fast enough.

All that said, I am all for the suspension. One less player in the SEC west my Tigers have to contend with - especially since we go to Bama this year then see these guys in Death Valley.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #88 on: August 06, 2013, 12:49:37 PM

He's an idiot for doing that. Not only does he not need the money, he's going to untrustworthy people to pull it off.

The NCAA should suspend him through the Alabama game. My guess? They do nothing when he pays it back and faces community service or some shit.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #89 on: August 06, 2013, 12:51:40 PM

The national media is going to crucify him for this.  Your boy got 4 games for selling a jersey, I bet Manziel gets more than a slap on the wrist. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:45 PM

Yeah I imagine the book is going to get thrown reasonably hard on this one. Those guys get bombarded from day 1 with reminders to not do shit like that, and it sounds like he didn't just break the rule, he had a whole operation going.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #91 on: August 06, 2013, 01:01:50 PM

It wasn't fair when AJ did it either, but UGA was a dumpster fire coming off that season, and nobody had any plans for us to do jack shit in 2010.

This is the goldenboy Heisman winner who is supposed to play in the NCAA's highlight game of the year in Week 3.

I'd like to see them sack up and do something big, but they just glad-handed the Oregon shit, and are knee deep in a legal case over this kind of stuff.

EDIT: He gets to pay back $7500, goes on double secret probation, and misses exactly 2 games. That's my prediction now!  why so serious?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #92 on: August 07, 2013, 12:38:21 PM

Looks like Jadeveon Clowney has some pictures floating around of him signing memorabilia.  The NCAA better watch out on how they handle this.  It could really turn up and bite them in the ass. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #93 on: August 07, 2013, 12:41:46 PM

This whole thing is coming up  awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real for UGA.

Our guys don't usually sign stuff, they commit crimes to get suspended.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #94 on: August 07, 2013, 01:09:57 PM

Huh.  According to Emory Business School UGA has the best football fans in the SEC.  No shock that Kentucky is low, but I figured the Mississippi schools would have beaten us out.  Wow.  Looking at that list is impressive.  The SEC is definitely murderer's row.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:13:23 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #95 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:04 PM

A lot of that comes from having the same head coach over that period of time. Stability in wins and stability in revenues. Always being in the discussion if not leading the league.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #96 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:28 PM

You don't find it odd that you're ahead of Alabama who is having one of the best runs ever in college football?  Seems interesting.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #97 on: August 07, 2013, 02:16:14 PM

You don't find it odd that you're ahead of Alabama who is having one of the best runs ever in college football?  Seems interesting.

Alabama was awful before Saban. They looked at a 10 year window. That's including Alabama on probation and having their coach end up in a strip club.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #98 on: August 07, 2013, 02:19:40 PM

That's true.  I'm still surprised.  The fans never really go away in Alabama.  They're like cockroaches. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 07, 2013, 02:21:15 PM

Alabama was awful before Saban. They looked at a 10 year window. That's including Alabama on probation and having their coach end up in a strip club.

I miss that Alabama.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #100 on: August 07, 2013, 02:28:10 PM

Don't we all.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #101 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:29 PM

Today was a great day to be a Ute fan. Dopey idiot Roscoe Mendenhall down at the Zoo decided that players wouldn't have their names on the back of the jersey. Instead it would be one of three things: Spirit, Honor, or Tradition.  Us jolly Utes suggested he also go with Integrity so it would round out the SHIT meme.  It went from "we are going to do this for the season" to "we are going to do this for the entirety of when I am coach here" to "well the players voted and only want to wear them for Homecoming so we'll do that" over the course of about 4 hours.  They put out a video of players talking about how cool it was that looked like a freaking Iranian Hostage confession film.  Even the cool-aid drinking zoobs were like "What the Flip?" which is Mormon for what the fuck. Pure hilarity.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 08, 2013, 10:33:43 PM

I'm surprised they didn't go for Wisdom, Altruism, Nobility and Knowledge. Would Fit a college team better, wouldn't you say?

Hic sunt dracones.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #103 on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:39 AM

Yeah, shit is getting real. 

NCAA stops sales of jerseys on its website. 

NCAA president Mark Emmert on Thursday said college sports' governing body would stop selling individual jerseys and other team-related memorabilia on its website, calling the practice a "mistake" and admitting others might view it as hypocritical.

They are in full retreat mode right now.
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:53 AM

Yeah, shit is getting real. 

NCAA stops sales of jerseys on its website. 

NCAA president Mark Emmert on Thursday said college sports' governing body would stop selling individual jerseys and other team-related memorabilia on its website, calling the practice a "mistake" and admitting others might view it as hypocritical.

They are in full retreat mode right now.

Little late now Mark. This is not going to get handled by giving yourself some kind of self-assessed sanction like you let schools do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 College Football  
Jump to: