Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 141515 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 01, 2013, 01:56:27 PM

Gaijin really have outdone themselves with the April Fool's prank this year.  

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

I think they just outdid everyone.

http://youtu.be/lSRQ6suu9nw
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:02:03 PM by Bungee »

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 01, 2013, 04:50:25 PM

That's hysterical!

Nebu, I don't think it's because it's historically accurate, I think they are trying to get folks to play the Soviets.

At level 2 the Soviet's get the I-16 type 18.  It has 4 armament presets. One preset is 4 x 7.62mm machine guns (ammo 2600) and 6 rockets.  The I-16's top speed is 461 kph and has a turn time of 16.5 seconds.  It handles like a hyper kinetic dream at high speed and low speed.  It looks like Roger Rabbit should be flying it.  It is all kinds of awesome.

At level 2 the Germans get the He 112 V5 that has one armament preset - 2 x 7.62mm machine guns (ammo 1000).  It has a top speed of 385 kph and has a turn time of 15.5 seconds.  It handles decently below 400 kph.  It handles like a flying brick above 425ish kph.  Most other planes give a "SLOW DOWN NITWIT!" warning, not the He 112!  I've flown into canyon walls, the ground, the sea, everything you can think of because my speed is too high and I cannot turn or pull up.  And it's fire power is weak.  It is all kinds of suck.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:41:21 AM by Typhon »
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:50 AM

today's update brings +20% income for air kills and +50% for ground kill.the latter may only be applicable if you're flying a bomber though, not sure.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
WayAbvPar

Reply #143 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:56 AM

NICE! That will make the grind a hell of a lot less grindy. Ground kills especially needed love- you spend the whole match in a bomber winning the game for your team and you got rewarded dick.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:37 PM

That is so true, without bombers you lose.  If you bomb, you get dick.  This drives my friend insane - because he wants to win and I fly fighters and I always outscore him, but I have little impact on whether we win or not.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #145 on: April 03, 2013, 03:46:36 PM

Its truely an odd game mechanic. Its like the devs all just wanna dogfight all day long, so they put in rewards for that, but realized right quick that it would just turn into Call of Duty - Fly About Division and had to come up with something that was a little more sophisticated. They put in ground target goals and called it a day.

Its so true to real life work environments. You bust your ass making sure your company works smoothly and the ponce who's been faffing about at meetings all day gets the credit  swamp poop

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #146 on: April 03, 2013, 03:56:28 PM

Maybe they could make Historical Missions a more directed experience with more sophisticated goals and such instead of just the stepping stone between console retard happy funtime game and grognard who lives in his mother's basement nutpunching 'realism'. Right now it plays like arcade but with takeoffs and no respawns.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 03, 2013, 04:03:38 PM

I like biplane dog fighting the best so far.  I do well with the Spitfire, decent with Hurricane/Kittyhawk (which I think fly similarly), but I have the most fun with the biplanes.  To bad they didn't make a Red Baron game.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 06, 2013, 10:22:47 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #149 on: April 12, 2013, 10:53:51 AM

Just want to check- does anyone want to ram me? Apparently I have a giant fucking bulls-eye on my planes that begs people (teammates, opponents, flocks of birds, UFOs, whatever) to do so at every opportunity. A couple of times I didn't pull out of a head to head engagement, so I am equally to blame, but the rest...jesus. At least the dumbfucks aren't getting kill credits for it any more. I wonder how many of them don't realize that?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #150 on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:50 AM

I will purposefully ram a bomber if we're close on score and he's nearby a ground target we need to keep alive.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #151 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:00 AM

Oh I agree- there are times when it is strategically useful (like when a much higher level plane decides to play chicken with me). It was just egregious last night. I think I died 15-20 times from rams in about 10 matches.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:37 PM

The amount of blue on blue accidental ramming that happens is fricken hilarious. Especially watching the meltdown on text by the ramee.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: April 12, 2013, 01:05:33 PM

The amount of blue on blue accidental ramming that happens is fricken hilarious. Especially watching the meltdown on text by the ramee.

But it's a bit comical if you have five planes come after you and look back to see a clusterfuck of wreckage falling to the ground as they all try to get into the same spot on your tail.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: April 12, 2013, 01:21:48 PM

Just want to check- does anyone want to ram me? Apparently I have a giant fucking bulls-eye on my planes that begs people (teammates, opponents, flocks of birds, UFOs, whatever) to do so at every opportunity. A couple of times I didn't pull out of a head to head engagement, so I am equally to blame, but the rest...jesus. At least the dumbfucks aren't getting kill credits for it any more. I wonder how many of them don't realize that?

You sound like me when I'm in my liberator in Planetside 2. Stupid friendly aircraft slamming into me.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #155 on: April 15, 2013, 09:54:04 AM

So I ran out of premium and decided to slum it for a day and see how the economics go. Dreadful. I just can't play anything above tier 9 now. Even then, its adviseable to stick to tier 7 and below. This, if you're a decent player, will earn you between 10-20 k per match. I, however, am no such player, so I'm hovering between 5 and 10 k a match.

I have the 109-G6, the FW-190 A5 and F8 mouldering in my hangar due to the economics of playing those.

I'm not really bitching per se, but  to progress in this game you have to either have premium or be a pretty damned good player.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: April 15, 2013, 10:43:47 AM

I'm not really bitching per se, but  to progress in this game you have to either have premium or be a pretty damned good player.

Sounds like they followed the WG model of financial success.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #157 on: April 16, 2013, 10:14:45 PM

You can earn pretty good XP and money by filling your slots with the Russian SB bomber line or the Italian S.79. Both are pretty fast for bombers and are better at fighting than the assault planes. My gunner crew size is equal to the plane's and their accuracy and spread are maxed out, but between shooting down people attacking me or actively pointing the front of my SB at people I usually manage to kill 4-5 people a match in addition to assists and potshots. The S.79 isn't nearly as rugged as the SB's are, but they eventually get torpedos which is really nice. they also have a center forward gun that you control while piloting, as well as a third engine in the front of the plane so it's not as big a bitch when you lose an engine.

Even with a premium account, the economy is ass. I'm level 9 in everything but the US and Japan, and I've got a solid dozen planes that I'm high enough level to get but can't because I'm broke as shit. That's why I went bacl to flying the tier 3 SB's. They're cheap, tough, carry 12 bombs, and cost almost nothing to repair.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #158 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:36 AM

I think that 1.29 broke something on the SBs. They are no longer accurate with the top down site, nevermind the 3rd person reticle.

I find that the Ju88 is the best strafe bomber out there. 36 bombs and on maps like African canyon, Fjords and Rice Fields, you can get many ground kills that pay for most of the match.

WayAbvPar

Reply #159 on: April 23, 2013, 02:49:21 PM

Finally purchased the grossly overpowered Yak 9T. Still learning to fly it, but good god. If you catch someone unawares with that cannon, it is lights out in a big fat hurry.  I can't wait to get it fully upgraded for maximum hilarity.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:20 PM

The 9T is really overpowered, but when one pops up in a game everyone stops what they were doing and does whatever they can to kill it.

Overall the game has a depressingly large number one or two shot kills. Bombers seem to be especially bad about breaking in half when shot by anything with a cannon.

Speaking of which, holy shit are American bombers the fucking worst. my B25 just randomly falls out of the air without taking a single hit in about half of the battles I'm in. I was really looking forward to getting the B17s, but I can't see it being worth it.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #161 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:57 AM

Anyone else feeling like there's an invisible tier 9ish ceiling to this game? Not only do things get more expensive, but unless you catch the game at Russian prime time (US morning time on a weekend), any tier 11+ match is going to be with 8 people per side with AI bots as filler. Ya, those 75 ground target maps take forever with 8 players per side, especially since you have to take out bombers that are just XP pinatas for FW-190-D13s and Mustangs.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: April 29, 2013, 09:07:57 PM

That sounds about like my experience as well. The ceiling seems to be in cash though, not XP. I'm still leveling at a decent rate, but I'm a dozen planes behind in stuff to buy that I have the level for but no money. I'm not minding it so much since I enjoy the lower level stuff much more. Right now I'm playing the different nations in the 23, 45, and 6-7 brackets while I get money. and backfill planes to fill out the tier brackets. I like those tiers though and there seems to be much less one hit death at those levels. I am playing germany in tier 8-9 and it's a clusterfuck of one hit deaths. I'm getting better dogfighting with the twein 37mm Ju 87's though and they'll 2 hit a b-25.

Also, if the server is deserted just switch from the default server to "all" or "north america"

WayAbvPar

Reply #163 on: April 30, 2013, 08:33:40 AM

The Ju-87G is hysterical. Especially when someone decides 'oh he is a dive bomber, I can go head to head with him'. One shotted a bomber yesterday...he just fell apart. It was glorious.

WayAbvPar

Reply #164 on: April 30, 2013, 11:10:02 AM

I bought 3 months of premium when it was 25% off, but mistakenly did it 1 month at a time. As soon as I noticed the 25% applied to 1 month and above (and not just 1 month), I filed a support ticket to ask them to shift it to a 90 day purchase. 8+ days later, I finally get a response to my support ticket. Can't refund or change anything. God forbid they try to not actively fuck over their players.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #165 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51:05 AM

So ya, new patch, new planes, fixed flight models, etc. Modified economy. The P47 now won't break the bank, and you can fly a B17 without screaming about repair costs anytime an La5 flies within 2 km.

Details here

Edit: nm the economy, that's not been fixed. Typical.

Here is the official statement:
Due to the need to collect a new batch of statistics for the War Thunder 1.31 economy, the pre-planed economy update is delayed.
We're planning to update the game economy in one of the upcoming minor updates that will appear within one or two weeks.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Oh, and Sophos AV detects a file from the new patch, aces.dll, as a virus.

So ya, work in progress, the blessings of the eternal beta goddess be upon you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:16:40 AM by Engels »

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 12, 2013, 08:15:49 AM

fun game though, enjoying it a lot.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #167 on: June 12, 2013, 10:13:31 AM

Holy crap they nerfed the living hell out of bombs. Bombs have to land SMACK on a vehicle, or nothing happens. There's virtually no splash radius to any of the bombs anymore. Also, it takes a lot less to take out a bomber with the new damage models. I lasted about 2 seconds in my Wellington when some F4U was spawn camping our bomber spawnpoint.

Also, now Domination requires elimination of ground forces or they will start the ticket counter, even if your base is secure. You have to eliminate the ground forces on the enemy camp or the timer runs out on you.

So, to summarize. You must take out a bomber, which can't hit shit, and dies in a few rounds, to take out enemy vehicles or your team loses. Upshot? Noone takes out bombers, everyone floats about behind the safety of their base taking out the few suicidal idiots in bombers actually doing their job.

And don't even get me started on Ground Strike missions.

I will be playing Historical Battles because they are less stressful.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 12, 2013, 09:11:04 PM

The new damage is batfuck crazy. Getting hit with the bigger cannons has always been bad, but I can't tell you how many times I died today having my fuselage snap in half on the first hit. I also wish that my guns shot lit torches because any fire is a two second death sentence now.

As far as bombing I haven't noticed a difference, but I've always bombed unconventionally. I have my bomb timer set to .5 so they hit, bounce up, and then explode a little overhead of what I'm aiming for. It makes a big difference for medium and heavy tanks. I also always bomb at less than 500 feet, even with wellingtons. I rarely get more than two passes, but I always hit what I want to and usually kill at least two targets per bomb so in the end it works out much better. My gunners are also aces so I usually rack up a kill or two from that. Especially with the Japanese bombers with the cannon in the tail. You probably already know this, but some of the bombs are in pounds and some in Kilos. I've been in plenty of arcade games where someone is bitching that their American 500 bomb won't blow up any of the stuff their russian 500 takes out easily. Russian favoritism!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:32:13 AM by angry.bob »

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:24 AM

Yeah after playing again last night I am not a fan of this insta killing in arcade. Feels like a FPS where everyone has a 1 shot kill sniper rifle. Once someone gets on your back you're done, any little damage will either insta kill you or cripple you, no more chance to weave enough for a teammate to help.

I'll try that bomb timer cuz I also enjoy low level bombing especially in a plane with a lot of 50kg like jap Donryu or JU-88, sweeping through tank columns.
WayAbvPar

Reply #170 on: June 19, 2013, 02:41:33 PM

The economics patch can't get here soon enough. It is cockstabbingly painful to grind out enough Hitlerbux to afford even one of the dozens of unlocked planes I can't currently afford. I am barely breaking 5 figures in most games after all the bomber nerfs. I am afraid to even take out my P-47- 6k to repair after my last free repair goes bye bye. Fuck that.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 07, 2013, 07:10:07 AM

Big patch 3.3
http://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/

Haven't played this for over a month and this isn't very inspiring.

Lots of balance changes, seems like a lot more emphasis placed on upgrading planes which I'm not too keen on. You gotta pay for non-default ammo too.
WayAbvPar

Reply #172 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:12 AM

Hmmmm. I get the feeling that the savings from 30% off of plane purchases will be more than eaten up by paying by the shot for ammo and for all the new mods.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 07, 2013, 10:03:43 AM

looking at some reviews, new money sinks aside supposedly arcade battles are greatly improved by them changing objectives (primary and secondary), improving some of the maps, and getting rid of the fast ticket bleeding and random ground target destruction ("gremlins") added in 1.31 so I think I may give it a whirl. Maybe they even nerfed 37mm cannons which is my other beef with arcade, how good those 1 shot kill planes are especially between level 6-10.

I generally stick with arcade, not just cuz I am a crosshair leader crutching massive homosexual, but also because I like that there's actual objective based gameplay while Historical Battle is just a pure team deathmatch where the team that has the most high climbing fighters wins. I think they need to add a HB with respawns or something, cuz currently it's just a pure fighter air to air contest.

edit: uhh wait a few days to try this, apparently it's a big mess, needs hotfixes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:08:07 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:08 AM

After reading this thread, this game joins my honor tier of online games...the tier too grindy won't play. This world of tanks, and a few other treadmills.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder  
Jump to: