Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Inc: Gree event, reputation system 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inc: Gree event, reputation system  (Read 37973 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

on: January 15, 2013, 10:59:23 AM

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

Not a lot of detail there for now. I'm pretty unthrilled about adding rep grinds to SWTOR, but on the plus side at least they're legacy-wide so you don't have to do it over and over again on every alt, which was the worst thing about them in WoW. The Gree event seems to be recurring and is apparently the replacement for the western shelf stuff on Ilum.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:16:19 AM

Yeah, Bioware's talked up the Ilum revamp for months upon months now.

Come to think of it, I don't recall them ever saying that the Ilum revamp would be a PvP  revamp.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:05 AM

They said it wasn't going to be at some point, yeah.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:25:28 PM

I'm not looking forward to a grind, and what's more I thought I already proved myself to both the Gree and the Voss so it seems superfluous as well. It'll be more tolerable on the inevitable alts tho.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:42 AM

They still refer to the western shelf as contested. That's usually their code word for pvp flagged, but who knows what they are actually doing.

I have a really hard time imagining they'll make their brand new gree content be pvp centric, especially after the hilarious butt-hurt from people having to even ENTER the tatooine FFA zone to visit a vendor.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:49 PM

I can't think of anything they could add to swtor that is better calculated to make me (re)cancel than a reputation grind.

If there are enough Gree quests that I don't have to repeat any of them then it might get a pass.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:29 AM

http://www.swtor.com/blog/game-update-1.7-developer-blog-galactic-reputation

More Reputation Info. Who enjoys grinds?  why so serious?

-edit-
Subscriber Bonus

You can earn additional Reputation Points each time you consume a Reputation Trophy if you have a Reputation Bonus in effect. All Subscribers get a natural +50% bonus to all Reputation Points earned. This value is displayed in the Galactic Reputation tab of the Legacy window.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:48:46 PM

That just gave me a mental image of my smuggler delicately eating an actual trophy. NOM NOM NOM

God Save the Horn Players
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:39 PM

To smuggle it past the customs checkpoints?  Ingenious!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:20 PM

He's willing to do what it takes, baby!

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:13 AM

This is going live next week during the Tuesday maintenance after absolutely no time on the PTS.

What's the worst that could happen, eh?  awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:08:30 AM

None of the prior events were publically tested either. I bet the reputation system will be busted in some way though, yeah.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 06:02:21 AM

None of the prior events were publically tested either.

Chevin event could have done with testing and feedback tbh.

Not sure how much testing a reputation system needs given that they've got affection and ls/ds rankings. Still, on the plus side, it does mean that we don't have to wait 3 weeks.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 04:37:35 PM

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130211

It is a pvp event. Commence baaaawing on forums  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:42:40 PM

Well, part PVP anyway.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:37:37 PM

Ugh, this is going to be awful. 50s PvP is terrible.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 12:46:37 PM

Okay, so I've done a goodly bit of the event. I was right, it's fucking awful, but not for the reason I feared.

Basically, it's like this: You now have a reputation for the Gree Enclave. You start at 0, and at 2500 rep you reach Outsider, 5000 gets you Newcomer, 7500 gets you Friend. The next rank, Hero, probably takes around 10000 rep, then Champion, which I figure will take about 12500, if the pattern holds. Reputation applies legacy-wide, so multiple characters can stack it up. However, you also have a legacy-wide cap of 12000 rep you can earn per week.

On Ilum's western half, you have a series of 7 dailies (3 soloable, 1 heroic 2+, two PvP that really need 4 people, and one Area mission to kill three world bosses, requiring an 8-man Ops group) and two vendors. One vendor sells armor. Level 45, legacy bound, three sets of it. Cheap credit cost, but each requires a rep rank; two need Friend and the third needs Champion. The other vendor sells weapons, a couple non-combat pets, and an access key to the next daily hub. The weapons need Champion rank, one pet needs Newcomer, the other needs Legend (the highest rank), and the access key needs Newcomer. The weapons also have a separate "grey helix component" cost (read: commendations); 18 for the blaster pistol and single-bladed lightsaber, 24 for the rest.

So with all that in mind, this is how it ends up working out: The two PvP missions are usually flat-out undoable if your server has even a single good PvP guild dedicated to keeping people from finishing it (the area the missions are in are auto-flagged for free-for-all  PvP), so those are pretty much resigned to late-night or not at all. The Area daily actually cannot be completed until Newcomer rank thanks to the third world boss you need being locked behind a rep gate. Doing the three soloable missions and the fairly easy Heroic net you a total of 1440 rep and one (1) grey helix component. Each world boss gives, I believe, a small rep item and has a chance to drop a helix component.

So, as you can see, it's not actually possible to hit Friend and pick up any set of armor in the first week of the event. You can maybe, maybe  hit Hero during week two if I'm wrong about how much it takes to get to it. And then, well... you're SOL because the event only lasts two weeks and nobody knows when it repeats. If you can run the event on multiple 50s (don't buy the bullshit Bioware says in a blog post about it being doable by 45s, it's not), you can actually save up the reputation-granting tokens you get and use them in the no-event weeks each time you uncap, and possibly reach Champion if you can stomach doing the dailies every day for that long. Of course, it doesn't help that the components to buy the weapons are so scarce.

So if we assume that the event repeats monthly (which is probably a very generous estimate), it'll probably take a more casual player two or three months to get any weapons out of the event. Even hardcore players who run every possible thing they can is stuck sitting on a a pile of unspendable comms and a heap of rep items that can only be used weekly until the Gree come around again and they can finally offload the crap.

This is goddamn stupid.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 12:50:06 PM

Not following your math at all. If you can earn 1440 per day with the easily doable stuff, that puts you well over 7500 if you do it every day for a week, in fact it gets you to Hero (if 10k is right).

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:59 PM

I wasn't clear. The rep doesn't continue: Once you reach Outsider, you go back to 0/5000. So 2500 to reach Outsider, then another 5000 to each Newcomer, for a total of 7500. It then rolls back to 0 and you need to get another 7500 to get to Friend.

Edit: For instance, when I was piddling around on Voss earlier to see how the rep was there, I did two Heroic 4s. Each gave me two blue rep tokens, each worth 630 rep. After eating all four, I wasn't at 2520, but instead at 20/5000.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:06:32 PM by koro »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 01:07:54 PM

Gotcha, makes sense now.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 02:24:49 PM

I wasn't clear. The rep doesn't continue: Once you reach Outsider, you go back to 0/5000. So 2500 to reach Outsider, then another 5000 to each Newcomer, for a total of 7500. It then rolls back to 0 and you need to get another 7500 to get to Friend.

Facepalm

Seriously, Bioware, just ... just do more story shit.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 02:39:49 PM

Looks like the stuff is all cosmetic shells.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 04:26:10 PM

Okay, so I've done a goodly bit of the event. I was right, it's fucking awful, but not for the reason I feared.

Basically, it's like this: You now have a reputation for the Gree Enclave. You start at 0, and at 2500 rep you reach Outsider, 5000 gets you Newcomer, 7500 gets you Friend. The next rank, Hero, probably takes around 10000 rep, then Champion, which I figure will take about 12500, if the pattern holds. Reputation applies legacy-wide, so multiple characters can stack it up. However, you also have a legacy-wide cap of 12000 rep you can earn per week.

On Ilum's western half, you have a series of 7 dailies....

Yep, as expected, this is the point at which I stopped caring.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10:19 PM

The PvP part of this is lol-sand from Sithilus.

I kinda hope more shit unlocks or something as days go on, right now its kinda shitty. It's like 12 daily quests disguised as 3 or 4.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:52 PM

I dicked around with it on my level 45 dude, just to see how hard the PvE ones are, and they're pretty hard! If I had been in a duo it would've been fine but yeah. Not really for soloing as a 45. I finished one of the quests, but the others, every fight I was ending at half health or worse, and blowing cooldowns versus the silvers, so. Not worth the effort!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 11:30:25 PM

The PvP part of this is lol-sand from Sithilus.

I kinda hope more shit unlocks or something as days go on, right now its kinda shitty. It's like 12 daily quests disguised as 3 or 4.

The unlocky thing from the vendor at the next rep level up says it unlocks more dailies. Not sure if they are better dailies, of course.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 12:06:27 AM

I always wanted to do dailies so I could unlock the possibility of more dailies. I yearn for the day when my daily quests will consist of doing other daily quests (yo dawg.)

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 02:44:48 AM

I did the dailies last night.  Nothing remarkable.  The ship looks good but I've never been a dalies kind of player so I don't see me going up in rep, unless it's by accident while I'm in Section X.  The Gree rep armor looks really cool though.

So I assume the gear from the Gree event will be inferior to the new xpack gear yes?  I wonder about the timing a bit, but maybe Makeb is full of rep stuff.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:18 AM

The Gree shit is all moddable, no? So even if it's crappier than Makeb stuff, you can still shove the higher mods in it or whatever.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:25 AM

I dicked around with it on my level 45 dude, just to see how hard the PvE ones are, and they're pretty hard! If I had been in a duo it would've been fine but yeah. Not really for soloing as a 45. I finished one of the quests, but the others, every fight I was ending at half health or worse, and blowing cooldowns versus the silvers, so. Not worth the effort!

There are actually PvP versions of all the normal quests up in the north end in that empty southern part underneath the big PvP "bowl". That area has mobs that are easier: silvers instead of golds, normals instead of silvers, etc. You also get Bolstered during it. Of course, you have to deal with PvP, and FFA at that.

Also, one other fun thing about 1.7 that may have slipped past peoples' radars:
Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements.

This right here? This means your repair costs have more than doubled. Prior to 1.7, my top-geared tank would eat a repair cost of ~4700 credits each time I died. Not bad, but a string of wipes or work on a progression boss would really build up and kick the wallet.

Now? 10000 credits per death, minimum. An hour of the Ilum dailies yesterday with no  deaths left me with a 27k repair bill. There are level 20s  who are seeing five-digit repair costs.

The Gree shit is all moddable, no? So even if it's crappier than Makeb stuff, you can still shove the higher mods in it or whatever.

The Gree equipment is nothing but a bunch of empty shells, despite the mind-boggling minimum level of 45 for the armor and 50 for the weapons. They have no stats.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:45:05 AM by koro »
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 09:08:10 AM

I did the Gree dailies with my sorc. Probably won't do them again. I just don't want any of the rewards. Armor's not my style, no interest in pets. I'll wind up getting Belsavis faction as I do the section X stuff occasionally. Don't like the look of that armor either. Haven't checked out Voss yet. Hopefully Makeb will be interesting because this sure isn't.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 12:46:51 PM

Now? 10000 credits per death, minimum. An hour of the Ilum dailies yesterday with no  deaths left me with a 27k repair bill. There are level 20s  who are seeing five-digit repair costs.

Weird, my costs after the Gree quests run (tanking so I was taking the hits) was only 5k or so. Maybe your gear is 5x better than mine.   awesome, for real

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 12:59:46 PM

If he's raiding, it's actually possible. Have you seen the top tier stuff these days?  why so serious?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:30 PM

There are actually PvP versions of all the normal quests up in the north end in that empty southern part underneath the big PvP "bowl". That area has mobs that are easier: silvers instead of golds, normals instead of silvers, etc. You also get Bolstered during it. Of course, you have to deal with PvP, and FFA at that.

You get bolstered everywhere in the Gree area, I was in the safe PvE area and bolstered. Ilum mobs are just kinda mean when you're in your poopy leveling up gear. And I wouldn't go into a FFA PvP area without some friends, so might as well stick to the PvE area for the PvE quests, since, like I said, had I one other person with me, it would've been fine. :P

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:22 PM

I had logged off my sorc on Ilum, so when I went back to craft some stuff for an alt I remembered the other reason I don't like this update. By putting achievement stuff in a pvp zone on pve server the bitching and moaning over general is just awful.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Inc: Gree event, reputation system  
Jump to: