Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: It's January 2013, do you know where your sub numbers are? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's January 2013, do you know where your sub numbers are?  (Read 18676 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:09 AM

What was your prediction?

I don't rummage around in this forum too often anymore, but I do remember the sub number thread from a year ago.

Are there reliable figures for the current sub numbers for this game?

FWIW, I predicted 500k. That's paying subs, because I also predicted no F2P.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:29 PM

Heh, forgot about my own thread.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I said 400k, but didn't see (after WAR) SWOR gonig F2P within the first 12 months. I definitely thought they'd have a cash shop though.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:50:03 PM

There is no source for sub numbers and now that it is F2P you couldn't draw any conclusions from server populations either. So, not much to discuss here other than everyone trying to spin their opinion into some kind of I-told-you-so.

I think they were somewhere around 500k before the conversion but I'm honestly not sure where I saw that number or if it was reliable, it's just the last thing I had heard somewhere.

Active player population with F2P is somewhere way north of that I expect.

EDIT:

Perhaps relevant, Damion Schubert (basically SWTOR's Ghostcrawler - he's Lead Systems Designer) wrote this about a month ago in a comments thread on Lum's blog:

Damion S • a month ago −
I so very much wish that I could post our numbers. So I will just say that seeing these numbers, on a daily basis, makes me want to dance a jig. Some days, I do. The transition has been very, VERY successful so far, despite reports to the contrary. Ridiculously so.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:52:51 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:43:34 PM

I have no doubt that they are making bank on the f2p deal.  All my subbed friends remain subbed and are throwing money into buying cartel coins. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:46 AM

I have no doubt that they are making bank on the f2p deal.  All my subbed friends remain subbed and are throwing money into buying cartel coins. 

Yeah, a good number of the PvPers I know are gradually drifting away, but I have no doubt at all that they are a drop in the ocean compared to the money being made in the cartel shop.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:20 AM

There is no source for sub numbers and now that it is F2P you couldn't draw any conclusions from server populations either. So, not much to discuss here other than everyone trying to spin their opinion into some kind of I-told-you-so.

Reliable numbers were all I was after. If there aren't any, then you're right, there's not much to discuss.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:51:18 AM

I'd be surprised if all the noise didn't result in a subscription uptick from resubbers.

I would expect to wear off by the summer because the fuck stupid f2p design will put off new players.

Probably has increased income per subscriber more significantly. I see a lot of people buying coins because basically some people will buy any old crap.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:35 AM

Probably has increased income per subscriber more significantly. I see a lot of people buying coins because basically some people will buy any old crap.

Unless something major changes, I expect that to taper off in a big way. I've been noticing less and less people buying cartel packs on my server thanks to their lackluster contents. I also imagine that the Phantom Chestguard debacle's probably made people skittish about really gunning for certain pieces of cartel pack gear for fear that Bioware will change the model eventually.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:47 AM

Increased income per sub meshes with everything we've seen from other studies.  Remember the BF Heroes one that said 5-10% of the userbase made-up 25% or more of the revenues?  Same's going to happen here and I'm sure is true in WoT and MWO and even LoL.   People will throw ridiculous money in to a game they enjoy so long as they get something they value from it.   

Hell, even my own personal experience tracks with this.  I won't toss a dime at TOR, but my son plays it because he's 9 and *lightsabers.*  I'm in for far more than a year's TOR sub in WoT, though, and that's in just the last 6 months.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:45:40 AM

Perhaps relevant, Damion Schubert (basically SWTOR's Ghostcrawler - he's Lead Systems Designer) wrote this about a month ago in a comments thread on Lum's blog:

Damion S • a month ago −
I so very much wish that I could post our numbers. So I will just say that seeing these numbers, on a daily basis, makes me want to dance a jig. Some days, I do. The transition has been very, VERY successful so far, despite reports to the contrary. Ridiculously so.

My prediction from the earlier thread was that it would go F2P and be successful with that model  awesome, for real

Now that they've added character slots I'm currently playing, spending money, and enjoying the game on a very inconsistent schedule without the pressure of a subscription ticking by.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:55 PM

All I know is that I need an intervention. Someone stop me from buying that new Imperial outfit for my new operative  0.0 DPS

would you guys (that craft, or sell stuff to those that craft) pay for more crew skills per char? How about a bonus to RE?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 02:58:37 AM

All I know is that I need an intervention. Someone stop me from buying that new Imperial outfit for my new operative  0.0 DPS

would you guys (that craft, or sell stuff to those that craft) pay for more crew skills per char? How about a bonus to RE?

The Imperial outfit that looks like what you see in the Agent chargen screen? It's an incredibly common outfit, and you can even get that exact color scheme later on through normal orange gear.

As far as crew skills go, I'm kind of ambivalent. The RE system is shit and I'd be insulted at the idea of having to pay to make it better. More crew skills per character would completely fuck over the GTN, though, since hardcore auction house players would just load down their characters with as many high-value skills as possible and be able to just switch to whatever is the highest-value commodity that day due to every character having every skill.

I wouldn't mind a Legacy/Cartel-buyable bonus to crafting speed though.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:48:13 AM

Im back to playing again, GW2 ran its course for me and Im still hopeful that TOR will have some nice content and interesting PvP down the pipeline.  I can say that servers seem to be pretty well populated, at least the 2 I play on and doing dailies there are always groups, etc happening.  Game is far from dead, I think they need to work some on their F2P model still but hopefully it will get better over time.  I still enjoy their instanced PvP Battlegrounds over a lot of other games.  Debating on picking up the expansion but I probably will. 
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 01:00:42 PM

The Imperial outfit that looks like what you see in the Agent chargen screen? It's an incredibly common outfit, and you can even get that exact color scheme later on through normal orange gear.

Yeahbut is the orange gear available in the teens? (I have some on my sniper but I got that from Voss). I want it on Kaas when I switch from covert backstabbing to "I'm the Empire, mister!" why so serious?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 01:01:18 PM

If this game maintains more than 400k subs after 6 months it will be due to either some significant content additions or the Star Wars franchise.  I'm bored with the endgame already and the game has been out barely a month.

Was I close?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06:31 PM

If this game maintains more than 400k subs after 6 months it will be due to either some significant content additions or the Star Wars franchise.  I'm bored with the endgame already and the game has been out barely a month.

Was I close?

No one knows. There aren't any useful sub figures. What I'm picking up in here is that it isn't so much content additions or the franchise, as it's the F2P and the cash shop, that are responsible for whatever increased attendance/retention they've been experiencing.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:36 PM

Yeahbut is the orange gear available in the teens? (I have some on my sniper but I got that from Voss). I want it on Kaas when I switch from covert backstabbing to "I'm the Empire, mister!" why so serious?

If you're going to buy it, buy it for some character who doesn't use medium armor, that's where the value in the store version is.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 01:20:24 PM

There are imperial uniforms for medium armor empire players all the way up, but that specific look is a level 45ish suit normally.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 01:21:12 PM

If you're going to buy it, buy it for some character who doesn't use medium armor, that's where the value in the store version is.

Why is that?

I probably wouldn't buy it then; my sith are too vain to wear a uniform; I might use it for my guardian for teh lulz tho. hah maybe I should make a Chiss vanguard?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:20 PM

Well the reason I say that's where the value is, is because medium armor wearing Imps can get that look without spending points. The store version is adaptive armor, though, so you could slap it on anyone. (Companions too.)

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:13 PM

Just to go off the current topic a bit and back to the original, didn't I hear they finally put a dungeon finder in the game? I can't find a hot key for it in the key assignment page.

back to the original in that lack of a dungeon finder was a major reason for a lot of people I knew bailing on this game fast.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 02:05:35 PM

There's a button for it on the minimap circle, yeah.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:49 PM

doh thanks. :)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 03:37:37 PM

Hooligan's Outfit is the low 20's, maybe? I think that's when I started dressing like that and never looked back.

God Save the Horn Players
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 06:04:05 PM

Ok, I relent. This has been a successful intervention, damn you all.

I would go on about other Cartel stuff but I think I've successfully derailed the thread as it is.  awesome, for real
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:49:49 PM

I think I can make the jacket and cap if you are on our server.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 12:18:38 PM

Yeah I'm on Ebon Hawk. I'm resisting the urge to do it since I figure I should complete others before doing another IA. Since he's male, he can wait   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: It's January 2013, do you know where your sub numbers are?  
Jump to: