Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Expansion 1 : Rise of the Hutt Cartel Announced for Spring 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expansion 1 : Rise of the Hutt Cartel Announced for Spring 2013  (Read 28493 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

on: December 18, 2012, 09:35:10 AM

Raises the level cap to 55 (yay, Mudflation), costs $20 ($10 for subscribers) and adds a planet, and the usual stuff, all fully voiced.

Not much other info I see, other than preorders before Jan 7 get a 5 day headstart.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:37:35 AM

I like how the cash shop is mentioned right in the title.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:56 AM

This is pretty much my breaking point. No story updates in (what will be) over a year, and the first one we do finally get, everyone has to pay for.

If the last four months of patches hadn't been half-assed rush jobs that seem to break more than they add (never mind the glaring class balance issues that haven't been touched since June), I'd probably be a little more amenable to the concept. Having a price tag attached is no guarantee of quality, especially with this understaffed dev team.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:30 AM

I'm not really going to get bent out of shape over a $10 expansion. With only a 5 level bump I'm guessing this is Makeb.

I wonder if they're going to bump the current endgame content up 5 levels? Because it seems unlikely this will provide an equivalent number of new FPs.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:14:53 AM

Price point doesn't look too bad to me. Them monetizing story content was kind of expected, after all.

But the level 85 thing doesn't look like a good strategy for them unless they plan to bump everything 5 levels / use some sort of as-yet-unrevealed-but-probably-based-on-WF-bolstering scaling tech. Will it include a gear reset? [noting that high-end epic gear is the equivalent of level 60 stuff already]

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:27:27 PM

Wow, a whole 1 planet for an expansion?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 12:34:16 PM

Expansions since forever have only been a thirteenth month subscription to contribute to the content additions needed to keep you interested. So at $10 I'm not at all fussed, but do wonder if lack of new content is going to start to become a thing.

My guess is this is an extra 5 levels of planet trash quests that will probably only give us a couple more buttons to press and a free round of 140ish rated gear. But new gear can then be limited to level 55.

They don't mention any addition to the class stories. Assuming that is because there is no addition, I'll be interested to see how that how that goes down.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 12:45:43 PM

They don't mention any addition to the class stories. Assuming that is because there is no addition, I'll be interested to see how that how that goes down.

Evidence has been pointing toward more of a WoW-style overarching faction story as the way things are happening going forward instead of eight individual class stories. If we ever see individual class stories again, I will be stunned.

It doesn't help that top-end PvE folks aren't likely going to see a new raid until at least April either.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Kinda what happens when you fire like 2/3rds of your staff because the game dared to not score 11 million subs in 6 months.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:46:34 PM

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5600140#post5600140
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 02:05:14 PM

Will my companions actually talk to me again?

Why the fuck do we need 5 more levels in this game?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 02:17:54 PM

I can't say I'm happy about this. As it is I don't care about level 50 stuff. If there's no class storylines I don't see why I'd bother. I didn't much care for Ilum (only played it with my sniper for a day or two) I don't see why this will be different.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:33 PM

Raising the level cap is dumb. This game, more than any other, doesn't need to raise the level cap to provide reasons for people to do the new fucking content. And I don't want any more fucking buttons. ><

God Save the Horn Players
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:52:26 PM

Will my companions actually talk to me again?

Why the fuck do we need 5 more levels in this game?
Your companions probably won't talk until their F2P model takes off (if ever) and they can justify spending extra money on non-essential bells and whistles like that.

There are an extra 5 levels because they couldn't sell it as an expansion if it didn't add additional levels. This seems like patch content that was adjusted to meet the requirements to be called an "expansion". Imagine if Rift's Ember Isle patch included 5 additional levels and cost $10-20 and you're probably not far off.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:08 PM

Hmm $10 for five more levels and a new planet with voice-overs?  I'm OK with it.  How much do they charge for ME3 DLC's?  MoP was $30 for five more levels right? 

Right now I'm pretty happy they are adding a planet WITH v/o, I'd like to see that happen twice a year personally. 

But their bug-filled patches are annoying, you've got to wonder how buggy the new planet will be.  I don't think QA is a real high priority at Bioware.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Five more talent points is going to fuuuuuuuuuuck class balance. So Hard.

So fucking hard.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 03:16:51 PM

Assuming they give us 5 new talent points.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:48 PM

I'd be surprised if they do.

The extra levels won't do anything except gate any gear added to post expansion raids. And probably give Ingmar's JK another 4 buttons to moan about.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:14 PM

Why have god damn levels if you aren't going to use it to add stuff forward?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 03:30:33 PM

Now that I re-read it, the teaser page does say skill points.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 05:07:31 PM

Hmm $10 for five more levels and a new planet with voice-overs?  I'm OK with it.  How much do they charge for ME3 DLC's? 

TWENTY FUCKING BUCKS for the latest one. I skipped it.

Yes, they finally priced DLC for a Bioware game high enough that Sjofn didn't buy it.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:05 PM

Wow, didn't know it was THAT high!  So you gave us a shit ending and now want us to shell out $20 for DLC?  Be silent and seize my currency!

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 05:23:55 PM

The paid one before that (the whoops, those endings DID fucking blow, our bad DLC was free) was ... $15? I think? I've already forgotten for sure, but I do remember thinking "man this is RIGHT on the edge of what I'm willing to pay versus what I get for it," and then they jacked the price up again for the Omega DLC.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 11:11:34 PM

(snip)  MoP was $30 for five more levels right?
That's a really unfair comparison. MOP launch added a new landmass with 8.5 new zones filled with quests (and plenty of new enemy models), 6 completely new dungeons, 4 remade dungeons, 7 scenarios (3-man minidungeons completely new to MOP), 2 new battlegrounds/warzones along with a new arena map, 3 raids, and two entirely new systems (pet battles and challenge modes... I guess the revamped talent system would count too). Also, if you want to look at how many levels an expansion adds, GW1 expansions never increased the level cap... and I don't think anyone thinks they were a bad deal awesome, for real

Compared to that (or even 1/3 of that), this seems kinda... thin, and more like a content patch (RIFT's Ember Isle is probably a good comparison). I'm still OK with it, but raising the level cap is all kinds of stupid. What will the subber playerbase (which needs to be retained) do after hitting 55?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:13:07 PM by Zetor »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 12:40:28 AM

The rumor I've heard is they're going to bump all the current endgame content to 55, and also add hard modes for the flashpoints that don't currently have them (Athiss, Hammer Station, Red Reaper, etc.) So, endgame activities won't necessarily change although I'd also expect this to add a FP or two of its own.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 01:58:44 AM

I'd have no issue paying 20 bucks or more for dlc if it lasted longer than an hour or had production values at least a little stronger than a shitty fan mod.

Much more bothered by the half assed quality that dlc (and probably this) exhibits than I am by cost.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 02:45:38 AM

(snip)  MoP was $30 for five more levels right?
That's a really unfair comparison. MOP launch added a new landmass with 8.5 new zones filled with quests (and plenty of new enemy models), 6 completely new dungeons, 4 remade dungeons, 7 scenarios (3-man minidungeons completely new to MOP), 2 new battlegrounds/warzones along with a new arena map, 3 raids, and two entirely new systems (pet battles and challenge modes... I guess the revamped talent system would count too). Also, if you want to look at how many levels an expansion adds, GW1 expansions never increased the level cap... and I don't think anyone thinks they were a bad deal awesome, for real

Compared to that (or even 1/3 of that), this seems kinda... thin, and more like a content patch (RIFT's Ember Isle is probably a good comparison). I'm still OK with it, but raising the level cap is all kinds of stupid. What will the subber playerbase (which needs to be retained) do after hitting 55?

OK, I'll concede the point on MoP.  But $2 per level for five levels?  Acceptable. My point remains valid.  VALID!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 02:51:51 AM

The best MMO in the universe has to be Anarchy Online then, you get like 220 levels for free!   why so serious?

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 03:30:14 AM

The best MMO in the universe has to be Anarchy Online then, you get like 220 levels for free!   why so serious?

Anarchy Online is the MMO I'd most like to see a sequel for  awesome, for real
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 08:50:57 AM

I'm most likely going to buy it, but this is really on the edge. I guess there's no money for more class story lines so a planet is all we'll get. Not that surprised by more levels, this a gear treadmill at its heart and you need levels. That you get level 60 gear now at 50 always seemed odd anyway.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:46:54 PM

Five more talent points, lets break the trees guys!  why so serious?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 03:18:20 PM

I'd have no issue paying 20 bucks or more for dlc if it lasted longer than an hour or had production values at least a little stronger than a shitty fan mod.

Much more bothered by the half assed quality that dlc (and probably this) exhibits than I am by cost.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, and in fact I am sure I wasn't. The reason the price outraged me was because I knew it wasn't going to be worth $20. Leviathan wasn't worth $15, and I knew Omega sure as fuck wouldn't be worth $20.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 04:18:06 PM

That's the reason I still haven't bought ME3. Unless they release a GOTY edition for like $30-40 with all the DLC for the game I'm never buying it.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:59 AM

Every class guaranteed more buttons!

Also skill trees being expanded.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5607012#edit5607012

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 12:16:08 PM

I am terrified of what they are going to do. I have like no faith in them to expand the trees or add new abilities.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Expansion 1 : Rise of the Hutt Cartel Announced for Spring 2013  
Jump to: