Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The new expansion really has everyone buzzing, I see. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new expansion really has everyone buzzing, I see.  (Read 64144 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #70 on: January 24, 2013, 06:49:22 PM

They should have been working on sov before it got to this point. Have there been any comments they realize it needs a rework or are they still playing around with rebalancing ships and dust integration?
I think it's obvious Dust is sucking up all their systems design bandwidth.  Not sure that any Sov changes will really fix it, anyway.  The problem is supercaps, and there's no easy way out of that at this point.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

They've made an announcement that from now on they will have "themed expansions" where they update a mixture of game systems under the guise of a common theme (as opposed to having a Sov expansion, a high-sec expansion, an FW expansion, etc).

After this announcement (and after the CSM summit), a lot of people asked for the promised Modular POSes, in a thread that hit 2000 posts in about a day in the CSM forums.  Somewhere in there the devs complain that focusing on a single feature will break CCP and then try to backtrack and explain the whole "themed expansions" plan again.

After that, this week's just been a couple patches that have no patch notes, and we're guessing are actually DUST patches where they had to increase the EVE client version number too.  So yeah they're focused on DUST right now, it's in open beta.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #72 on: January 24, 2013, 11:20:13 PM

[I think it's obvious Dust is sucking up all their systems design bandwidth.  Not sure that any Sov changes will really fix it, anyway.  The problem is supercaps, and there's no easy way out of that at this point.
What's the problem with supercaps? I know it used to be a problem with titans and supers being used to rape subcap fleets, but that hasn't been the problem for a long while now.

No, I'm fairly certain that the main problem with nullsec wars these days is the fact that the sov system is a waterfall style system, where nothing really happens until the 6th or 7th timer (I forget how many there are), at which point you either win the system or you're reset back to square 1.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:26 AM

The problem with supercapitals is people stop logging in once they got their supercapital. Once you're stuck in your spacetomb there's nothing much else to do.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:45 AM

So how would they fix that?  Let them dock?  Lock them per pilot so they can't be stolen if you eject?  Make it easier to create sitter alts?

I thought every supercap pilot had a sitter alt.  I certainly wouldn't train for a supercap on my main, even though the majority of the skills are duplicates with the regular carrier skills.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:25 PM

Just logged in my pure Minmatar. WTF have they done to the ships? The rust look has gone from them, the hound looks like shit - where's it's sails? My Maelstrom is some dirty greyish look and my Vagabond looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick :(

I preferred the old look by a long shot.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 25, 2013, 04:55:35 PM

I think they remodeled all of the ships a few expansions ago to go with the increased texture size tech they had.  I think they also decided, at that time, to make T2 ships have same model as their base T1 ship, usually with camo paintjob as the only difference.  There was a complaint thread about the Vagabond so they gave it some transparent "ear" solar panels that the Stabber doesn't have.

Full remodel they haven't done on many ships.  Scorpion is one I know of, and the noob frigates (Reaper).  The other ships are just higher polygon / texture versions.  Well, the Maller looks different.

You probably know, but the game has a model viewer built in.  Show info on any ship, click its picture, and the ship viewer should open.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:03:25 PM by ajax34i »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 25, 2013, 04:59:51 PM

Super-capitals are broken but still a symptom. The combats, sov system and ship progression all encourage players to converge into massive power blocks. Leading to a likely end-game where a very small number of powers hold massive amounts of the most lucrative space which cements their position. While they'll eventually decay the game can be stagnant till that happens, especially since much of the wealth generation of holding space is effectively passive.

I mean from the looks of things the elder powers are fielding fleets full of extremely expensive ships. No novice power coming out of low-sec (if they actually made low-sec have a point) has the numbers, funds or fleet to actually raise an independent flag in null-sec.

But I've seen no signs of them really considering it a problem or one they have any fixes for. Just tinkering at the edges.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 25, 2013, 05:27:03 PM

There's been talk about them tuning the sov system, but doing it in FW first to test out the systems, however what CFC and HBC are doing now (i.e. saying fuck sov warfare, let's setup our own rules in a region, if my interpretation is correct) might force CCP to push it up a bit on the priority list.

But yes, supercapitals are designed for sov warfare, and sov warfare is designed for supercapitals. The fact we're capable of derping around with enough dreads to smugcycle (in fact, we often had more left of the cycle than we'd used) and were almost even capable of just never go into siege in the first place and still save time doesn't detract from this fact.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:03 PM

What's the usual way these days for signing doing BC or Goonswarm proper? A former roommate of mine wants to sign up, and I'd just as soon have them avoid the customary emptying of their bank account. I am both terrible at internet spaceships and no longer playing, so I can't really do the post on forum and vouch thing.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 27, 2013, 12:43:44 AM

Your former roommate needs to be sponsored.

Everything about supercapitals is broken; the way you train for them (need a separate account), the way you pay for one (botting), the way you use them (massive supercapital blob). Then after eons of waiting for the perfect opportunity to swing your shiny spacedick around you end up in a laggy unfun clump of shit that literally breaks the server on a different game on a different platform.

Delete all supercaps, vote Jack Gates for CSM8.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:34 AM

Yeah,  'former roommate of some guy who used to fly with us but fucked off a while ago' is probably not making it in.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 27, 2013, 11:44:29 AM

Yeah,  'former roommate of some guy who used to fly with us but fucked off a while ago' is probably not making it in.

Yah, that's what i figured.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 27, 2013, 06:38:14 PM

Your former roommate needs to be sponsored.

Everything about supercapitals is broken; the way you train for them (need a separate account), the way you pay for one (botting), the way you use them (massive supercapital blob). Then after eons of waiting for the perfect opportunity to swing your shiny spacedick around you end up in a laggy unfun clump of shit that literally breaks the server on a different game on a different platform.

Delete all supercaps, vote Jack Gates for CSM8.

DBRB knows how to make things fun at least I guess. What did his dog have to say about the night?

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 27, 2013, 06:41:30 PM

Last I checked, boat's dog had been put down.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:45 PM

Well... That explains why everything went the way it did, the dog was the best FC Goons had...

I did notice he's playing FTL tonight instead.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #86 on: February 01, 2013, 08:25:43 AM

Awww, Dusties will be the puppies of EVE!
I  just saw some the first time in Ala, with their cute little helmets and being all soldier-like in local: 'Red leader, standing byHeart

One is even talking back...I am asking if they are open for adoption, no takers yet.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 01, 2013, 08:48:22 AM

Can we do planetary bombartment yet? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:53 AM

Yes, though it's fairly pointless from the capsuleers' POV.  You get absolutely nothing for the bombardment, and if your team wins on the planet, the effect on the space war is pretty minimal.  I'd be willing to shoot them just for spite, but moving into position to take the shot lets everyone in the system know where you are similar to lighting a cyno, so you can expect company to arrive on your ass in short-ish order.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:34 PM

I just saw some the first time in Ala, with their cute little helmets and being all soldier-like in local: 'Red leader, standing byHeart

Can you imagine EVE fleet members reporting "standing by" on voice comms?  It's such a non-event to report.
Hey, hey, FC, HEY!  LISTEN!  I AM STANDING BY, OK?  Got that?  It's important.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 01, 2013, 04:28:20 PM

"Setting speed to 53"

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 01, 2013, 08:00:06 PM

I just saw some the first time in Ala, with their cute little helmets and being all soldier-like in local: 'Red leader, standing byHeart

Can you imagine EVE fleet members reporting "standing by" on voice comms?  It's such a non-event to report.
Hey, hey, FC, HEY!  LISTEN!  I AM STANDING BY, OK?  Got that?  It's important.

Well, if you want a serious answer, at leasts it's an attempt at topical, relevant communication. And considering how long DUST has been out its not like they had so much time to practice.

People on ops who constantly had to be reminded to shut up sort of annoyed me. Or why did every scout use a different system of addressing gates and hostile?

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 01, 2013, 08:55:49 PM

What works for a squad of 16 doesn't scale too well into full Eve fleet.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 02, 2013, 01:13:26 PM

"Dusties" is the absolute worst name for them. It's on the same level as iskies, toonies, thannies, mommies, scimmis, et al.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:39 PM

"Dusties" is the absolute worst name for them. It's on the same level as iskies, toonies, thannies, mommies, scimmis, et al.
And yet, that makes it perfect.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 02, 2013, 09:24:45 PM

Well, some people called them something else on several occasions but the ISD put a nix on those posts right quick.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: February 03, 2013, 11:23:10 AM

Well, some people called them something else on several occasions but the ISD put a nix on those posts right quick.

ha ha. So this is a sort of 'I don't have anything against Dusties as long as they stay among themselves' thing? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 03, 2013, 06:27:23 PM

1 guy, undocking his 100 (one hundred) mining barges. At the same time.  ACK! Looks impressive though, and the soundtrack is catchy.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAoaW0vyKR8

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 04, 2013, 12:48:32 AM

Ah yes, thewis, the guy mittens mentioned on fanfest and the gaming media made sure everyone knew of "was suicidal".

Somehow I can't help but think that maybe he could've had a better time (and probably a cheaper time, too) playing X3 or some other properly advanced resource management game (you know, one of the games which even matrix games would've been hesitant to release why so serious?), since that's basically what he seems to play EVE as, and literally any game would be better for this than EVE.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 04, 2013, 03:08:03 AM

Ah yes, thewis, the guy mittens mentioned on fanfest and the gaming media made sure everyone knew of "was suicidal".

Somehow I can't help but think that maybe he could've had a better time (and probably a cheaper time, too) playing X3 or some other properly advanced resource management game (you know, one of the games which even matrix games would've been hesitant to release why so serious?), since that's basically what he seems to play EVE as, and literally any game would be better for this than EVE.

Oh, this guy is that guy from the mittani fanfest incident? What a small universe.

And well, not sure what the gaming media had to with that, but no one forced Mr. Gianturco to dedicate his public profile as head of CSM during a fanfest to shit on a previously unknown player. On a stage, with a mic in his hand. And that's before even bringing up the subject of someone being possibly suicidal and going "if you want to make this guy ... ..."

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:08 AM

And well, not sure what the gaming media had to with that
Yeah, they had nothing to do with it except
1) they named him specifically, thus increasing the exposure he got.
2) they made it into a huge scandal

Yes, it's easy to put all the blame on the guy who instigated the whole thing, but there's also a lot of blame to be put on the gaming media, because it didn't really explode on the forums until after the gaming media began the feeding frenzy.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 04, 2013, 03:33:48 AM

*Has a lost look on his face* What are we talking about here?

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 04, 2013, 03:48:49 AM

Ahh, that wasn't some drunk off-hand joke made on an after-event party that got tattle-taled by someone.

He stood on stage, in an auditorium, before an audience, and decided to use a pre-prepared power point presentation on a big ass screen to mock someone who writes about his real-life divorce and that he wants to die.

But yeah, looking at the picture, maybe it would have stayed secret if they found that one snitch in the gallery.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:50:43 AM by calapine »

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:30 AM

But yeah, looking at the picture, maybe it would have stayed secret if they found that one snitch in the gallery.
Is this in any way, shape or form what I said? No, it is not.

Mittens fucked up and said something he shouldn't have. The gaming media made it worse by making a lot of noise about it, by linking the youtube links and by specifically writing the name of the guy who was at the butt of mittens' joke. Together, they made the whole thing a potentially much bigger problem for the guy than if the gaming media hadn't made it into a big fucking deal.

Am I absolving mittens for saying it? No, I am not.
Am I putting all the blame on the gaming media? No, I am not.
Am I putting a large portion of it on the gaming media for creating a feeding frenzy about it? Yes, I am.
Am I putting a large portion of it on mittens for opening up his yap in the first place? Yes, I am.

How much clearer can I make it? I mean, is it so hard to fathom that in an environment where picking on other people (which EVE is), the act of telling everyone "hey guys, this guy said that if you wanted to make someone commit suicide, bug <character name>, isn't this mean?" is effectively telling everyone who absolutely adores trolling people to do exactly that, and maybe, just maybe there should be some sort of interrupt saying "maybe we shouldn't give this so much cover, because giving this much cover would do exactly the opposite of what would be right"?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:30:44 AM by tgr »

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:43 AM

For me the takeaway was that the EVE community (just like any other MMO community) is fucking terrible. But I'm not sure that's news.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The new expansion really has everyone buzzing, I see.  
Jump to: