Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:44:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 197553 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: May 18, 2013, 02:01:06 AM

You have to admit:

Was I the only one that felt Star Wars in this Trek?  Even the damned Klingon patrol ships were essentially tie-fighters with horizontal wings.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: May 18, 2013, 03:35:51 AM

I detested the prime directive whenever it came up because it always seemed to be a roadblock to doing the right thing.  

Actually, it was admitting that the right thing on that scale is simply not ever clear cut.

That's just historical fact, alas.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: May 18, 2013, 05:08:09 AM

You have to admit:

Was I the only one that felt Star Wars in this Trek?  Even the damned Klingon patrol ships were essentially tie-fighters with horizontal wings.

What annoys me in this thread is that folks are assuming:

a) that if you didn't like this film, you must love all other Trek or not care about the plot holes in it. Not me. My feelings about a lot of Trek (films and series) are lukewarm. In many ways I liked the first reboot film better than older Trek.
b) that if you didn't like this film, you habitually nitpick everything. Not me. Most of the time my suspension of disbelief settings are pretty generous.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: May 18, 2013, 05:45:27 AM

There's a wild difference between 'this is a movie, suspend disbelief' and the writers/director flat out saying 'you chucklefucks will swallow anything.'

I was really looking forward to this one after the first one (which I liked) but the more hype and mystery and bollocks started surrounding it, the more alarm bells went off.  And now people, who thought like me, are telling me it's dire.

Fair enough.  I'd rather skip it than end up moaning in this thread.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: May 18, 2013, 06:55:51 AM

Meh.  I'm still going to see it.  Most of you guys hated Borderlands when I thought it was a fun game.  I'll sneak in some snacks and shut my brain off.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: May 18, 2013, 08:03:09 AM

There are two prime directives. TOS prime directive only refers to pre-star-faring civilizations. TNG and later prime directive is pretty much America First isolationism.

I'm fine with the first, the latter is immoral. At the time B5 was an almost shocking contrast as its entire mission was essentially to meddle in galactic politics and Clark's isolationists were the enemy.

The Motion Picture is slow and often dull, I still love it as the only Star Trek tale that evoked true awe in me.
I remember seeing in in the theater and after so many years of fuzzy tv reruns, the long flyby of the Enterprise was an incredible experience. Not that it holds up, but at the time it was wow.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #496 on: May 18, 2013, 08:43:17 AM

The Motion Picture is slow and often dull, I still love it as the only Star Trek tale that evoked true awe in me.
I remember seeing in in the theater and after so many years of fuzzy tv reruns, the long flyby of the Enterprise was an incredible experience. Not that it holds up, but at the time it was wow.

The story in the Motion Picture I rank just behind Khan. I loved the tie into man's early space exploration coming back to complete the circle.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: May 18, 2013, 08:57:28 AM

Missed opportunity:

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50:58 AM

I saw this last night and liked it. My experience with ST includes only a few episodes of Voyager when I was younger, and the 09 movie a few weeks ago because my friends insisted I watch it then go see this. There were some silly bits that didn't make sense, and a lot of overly dramatic moments, but all in all it was a good action flick.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #499 on: May 18, 2013, 02:12:00 PM

I enjoyed it as a brain dead action flick. Things happen because. Well, really because they want a particular shot or effect or something but it doesn't have to make any sense and trust me, it does not.

But...

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:02 PM

I quite liked most of this, but it did get really stupid towards the end.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: May 18, 2013, 06:19:27 PM

90Proof
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: May 18, 2013, 06:26:36 PM

I watched the movie this afternoon in a regular theater, no 3-D and no IMAX magic.  I was underwhelmed  undecided
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: May 18, 2013, 06:40:19 PM

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: May 18, 2013, 06:54:00 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: May 18, 2013, 06:55:43 PM

Star Trek has ALWAYS been hand-wavy techno-magic filled top to bottom with plot holes.

Rose-colored glasses.

This movie was good.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #506 on: May 18, 2013, 07:00:00 PM

I enjoyed it as a brain dead action flick. Things happen because. Well, really because they want a particular shot or effect or something but it doesn't have to make any sense and trust me, it does not.

But...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: May 18, 2013, 07:06:04 PM

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #508 on: May 18, 2013, 07:27:27 PM

Movie was fine. Best pulpy sci-fi since the 5th Element. Action was good, acting was good, less lens-flare was good, effects were good. Even the plot made sense.

Worth seeing.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #509 on: May 18, 2013, 09:17:19 PM

The story in broad strokes made sense. The PLOT (the points along the story's timeline to reach the broad strokes) really made very little sense at all.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:16 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #511 on: May 18, 2013, 11:23:28 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: May 19, 2013, 01:22:43 AM

Best pulpy sci-fi since the 5th Element.

Mighty strong words those.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: May 19, 2013, 02:56:07 AM

Best pulpy sci-fi since the 5th Element.

Mighty strong words those.

Yep. Pretty much is though.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #514 on: May 19, 2013, 08:17:08 AM

I enjoyed it.

Afternoon flick in a uncrowded theater with the full massive screen.  I actually had a moment of "wow, we've come a long way these effects are pretty awesome."

My biggest gripe (action brain on, plot hole brain off) was:

I only have vague memories of the original series and movies, so maybe someone can enlighten me.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: May 19, 2013, 08:22:33 AM

I enjoyed it.

Afternoon flick in a uncrowded theater with the full massive screen.  I actually had a moment of "wow, we've come a long way these effects are pretty awesome."

My biggest gripe (action brain on, plot hole brain off) was:

I only have vague memories of the original series and movies, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: May 19, 2013, 11:42:40 AM

It entertained me for a couple of hours so I can't really complain. I laughed, I smiled, I sighed heavily at the extremely obvious use of Chekov's gun (no relation.)  Thoughts:

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #517 on: May 19, 2013, 01:12:57 PM

I liked it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: May 19, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #519 on: May 19, 2013, 01:56:35 PM

It's a Trek film for people not interested in or only casually interested in Trek.  They threw tropes at you without getting why they were done and that's fine and dandy for what it was.   Don't think on it too hard at all, though.

I don't think it will stand-up for multiple viewings or be one of those movies in frequent rotation on some male-oriented cable channel like LOTR has turned in to.  

As for the bitching about ST in general upthread: Most of those are tropes from the 40's and 50's sci-fi and action serials that gave-birth to the series.  Bitching about the senior officers beaming down to a planet is like bitching that Indy was totally breaking all scientific and archeological principles and practices in his movies.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #520 on: May 19, 2013, 02:03:27 PM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: May 19, 2013, 02:08:25 PM

I enjoyed it.  It's a summer action film.  Not choosing to think too much about some of the plot elements though.  I can see why some dislike it.  It messes with 'canon' etc. but consider it a 'lensflareverse' where cars float on air but flyers rely on old VTOL turbine engines.

Christ, now I'm thinking about the plot elements again.  To the Lobotomizer!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: May 19, 2013, 03:57:32 PM

Non spoilery question but does a turbine engine necessarily need to work the way it does now, in the future? Was the turbine even a turbine engine or just some sort of intake? 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #523 on: May 19, 2013, 05:29:30 PM

Turbines would need to work that way if they were turbines, yes.  I understand the mechanics are simple but pretty set such that other than fuel efficiency a turbine today is the same as a turbine from 50-60 years ago.  Much like the refrigeration cycle is all about compressing and expanding a gas, we can make it more efficient but not change the underlying physics.

The better question is why would they be needed if medical gurneys can have anti-grav devices small enough that the gurney is only 3" thick.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: May 19, 2013, 05:49:42 PM

Could be a weight limit/power ratio equation on the anti-grav stuff in that a power source big enough to float a plane would not be feasible. 

Turbine stuff makes sense but imo it's only silly to assume that all methods of transportation would be the same in the future.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: