Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:48:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 192019 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #945 on: September 16, 2015, 03:33:55 PM

Yeah, she's had three arrests in as many years.  Once for domestic assault, another for crashing into a police cruiser, I think, and now this.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: September 16, 2015, 03:38:05 PM

Considering her character was designed to appeal to  this guy looks legit I'm not surprised.

Hic sunt dracones.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:34 PM

Here's a like to the complete Star Trek Renegades movie so you can watch it in full!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM

Or maybe the trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeX5drV9ms

I haven't watched either since I'm too busy sawing my arm off.

It's probably wrong to knock fan fiction, even fan fiction on steroids, but why is almost every line of dialogue in that trailer a cliché? It's almost like a parody.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #948 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:14 AM

I almost watched Renegades, then decided it would probably be bad for my mental health.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: September 17, 2015, 10:00:34 AM

I just did out of morbid curiosity.  Things I noted:

1) The Icarus ship design is pretty.

2)  I kind of liked the Doc's story.

3) Tim Russ will do anything with Trek.  Does he love it that much, or can he just not get any other work and figures any pay check is a good pay check?  Both?

4) It has more potential than Voyager.

5) How do studios do such a better job packaging a show even if they're complete shit?  Less takes?  Fewer revision passes?  You'd think a fan made-video involving seasoned actors could still be done with some quality.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: September 17, 2015, 10:05:37 AM

5) How do studios do such a better job packaging a show even if they're complete shit?  Less takes?  Fewer revision passes?  You'd think a fan made-video involving seasoned actors could still be done with some quality.

It's certainly possible to do.  The Axanar stuff is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #951 on: September 17, 2015, 10:20:09 AM

A lot of it is just better editing (and direction during shooting giving the editors more to work with). There were *so* many places where the dialog should have been tweaked by shortening or lengthening pauses, using reaction shots, framing shots, etc. The script wasn't completely horrible and even if a lot of the acting was pretty wooden, good post-production could have fixed a lot of it.

There's a reason that it usually takes far longer to do 'post' on a film than it does to shoot it. It's not just CGI and sound they're working on.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: September 18, 2015, 07:27:16 PM

Quickly skimming through it it's just not well-shot. Two major things stand out:

1. Lack of establishing shots
2. Almost everything shot in a close-up

The has the effect of making it seem very disjointed - it's hard to tell where the characters are in relation to each other, where stuff is happening, etc.

When two people are threatening each other it's all either shot-reverse or a close up of one that then pans to a close up of the other - it makes it look cheap because that sort of shooting is typically done to hide lack of FX integration. (You see this all the time in bad SyFy channel movies - there is a shot of a beast, and a shot of a guy, but they aren't on the screen at the same time, because doing that would require more FX work)

In general when making movies you want to give the editors good coverage, which includes a "master" shot that covers the action in a medium shot that encapsulates all the action. The idea being that the editor can cut to that when needed to establish spatial relations, show actions between characters, etc. That's the safe footage, then you can use other footage like close ups and inserts as needed. Either they didn't shoot that sort of coverage here or the editor chose not to use it.

There are basics of craft that the people making this either weren't aware of or didn't bother with. (Maybe because wider shots would illustrate that the sets were crappy)

I can skim from scene to scene and not see the legs of a single character. It's like 90% close ups.

It seems to me that the FX are pretty decent for a fan film, the lighting and makeup are pretty decent, etc, but it's just shot poorly.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:52 AM

Could be worse, they could have wound up just like Jennifer Lien
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jennifer-lien-indecent-exposure_55f95acbe4b0e333e54be09d

IIRC, she was a bit crazy behind the scenes during the years she was on the show...

This is true.  Yes.  She was always a bit "off."  I believe she was a particularly emoGoth type punkband chic too.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: