Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 197566 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #280 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:41 PM

Wouldn't be the first time.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:12 PM

Secret agent goes rogue, gets imbued with special powers.

It's like Mission Impossible.

Nah.

I'll wait to have my mind changed, of course.

Spoilered due to size.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:16:38 AM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: March 21, 2013, 05:48:07 PM

The trailer is showing explosions and wow stuff but it's keeping the plot close to the vest.

Wuh? Rogue super agent rabbits in a huge explosion with a WMD, Kirk et al go after him to get it back, first they and the ship get beat up, and then they rally and win.

Not exactly Usual Suspects  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I doubt there'll be much in the way of core "Trek" though. And really, what is core Trek anymore anyway? Throw in a few transports, a warp jump, and some shout-outs to Sulu, and you've greased the TrekCon crowd all you need. Like every other movie, even the good ones.

For the rest, more Carol Marcus. The look on her face in that scene was great.

Curious if they'll kill someone off. This one screams Wrath of Kahn/personal vendetta/personal sacrifice format. But given how he likes delivering stories, I see a twist.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:32 PM

I can tell when trailers are hiding big elements of plot and this one clearly is. I'll come back after the movie comes out to eat some crow but I don't see that happening.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #284 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:31 AM

Star-Warsy?

No. Those are his next films.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #285 on: March 22, 2013, 08:38:36 AM

I don't see the big ideas that made Star Trek and hard sci-fi great.  So Star Trek is dead.  Doesn't matter though, I will totally go see Mission Impossible: Enterprise.  It a strange world where the Batman franchise is more sci-fi than Star Trek franchise. But if they are good movies its alright.

"Me am play gods"
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:29 AM

We are not the nerds they are marketing to...

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #287 on: March 22, 2013, 11:54:38 AM

Roddenberry's Star Trek has been pretty well dead since DS9 wrapped up, if not earlier.  Voyager, Enterprise, and all the TNG movies were mostly shit.  And the "mostly" is a kind assessment.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: March 22, 2013, 02:17:08 PM

I want to say there are a lot of nerds who would argue DS9 wasn't even Roddenberry's vision either. Which is probably why it's the best startrek.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #289 on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:28 PM

I want to say there are a lot of nerds who would argue DS9 wasn't even Roddenberry's vision either. Which is probably why it's the best startrek.

This. The reboot was the best Star Trek I've seen since DS9. The TNG movies were mostly shit and the TNG show itself really wasn't all that great - I stopped watching it after first season. I think the trailer looks great and if Star Trek is "hard sci-fi," I'm the fucking Pope. TNG had more hand-waving narrative laziness than fan fiction and would have been cancelled after two seasons if not for the strong actors and the Star Trek name.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #290 on: March 22, 2013, 02:35:52 PM

Regardless, Star Trek DS9 still tried to deal some big ideas in between the sexy war stuff.  Star Trek: Lens Flair while a fun action movie dealt with none.

"Me am play gods"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: March 22, 2013, 03:02:15 PM

Oh Good, this DS9 argument again.

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 22, 2013, 03:03:23 PM

What argument?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #293 on: March 22, 2013, 03:29:16 PM

The reason most nerds cite for DS9 not being Roddenberry's Star Trek are twofold:

1) Roddenberry had no involvement with it (he was dead by the time they started seriously working on even the concept of the show)
2) It took place outside of the utopic Federation society -- there was money, and crime, and stuff like that.  Too "dark" for some.

Those points notwithstanding, I feel like the fact that it occasionally actually tackled interesting concepts (culture clashes between alien races as opposed to pew pew between alien races, moral dilemmas as opposed to obvious good guy vs obvious bad guy, stuff like that) put it on the level of earlier Star Treks, at least in terms of being good sci-fi.

That was also the big difference between the TNG series (which, much like DS9, got much better after the first couple of seasons as it got its legs under it) and the TNG movies (which were consistently crap).  The TNG series was mostly decent sci-fi; the TNG movies were all purple space bazookas and dune buggies.  They were basically action movies, but not very good ones.

The ST reboot was also an action movie, but it was at least a decent one.  I'm not hating on it, but I think anyone thinking the next installment is going to be "trekky" is either deluding themselves or is using "trekky" more in reference to superficial tropes than to themes and plot.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 22, 2013, 04:07:24 PM

That's not what I said.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 22, 2013, 04:13:02 PM

Quitting TNG after season one was a huge disservice to yourself. It's only after season one, maybe two that things ramped up.  I still prefer DS9 and TNG did have a few stinkers but there were absolute gems in there you're missing.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #296 on: March 22, 2013, 04:36:15 PM

Quitting TNG after season one was a huge disservice to yourself. It's only after season one, maybe two that things ramped up.  I still prefer DS9 and TNG did have a few stinkers but there were absolute gems in there you're missing.

Shaka, when the walls fell...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #297 on: March 22, 2013, 04:45:27 PM

Yeah, the first season is the worst by far, judging the series on that is kind of like judging B5 with knowledge of nothing but the pilot, which may have been the worst piece of scripted television ever produced.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: March 22, 2013, 05:14:08 PM

Shaka, when the walls fell...

Or that fucking flute.

Actually, when you think about it, most of the best episodes were strong, strong Picard ones.  Odd that.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:47 PM

When you look up trek in the dictionary there should be a picture of that flute.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: March 22, 2013, 05:58:21 PM

Man, a year ago Abrams et al were saying "The plot of this movie is basically Heart of Darkness with phasers". Khan/Mitchell/Garth/totally new guy, whatever he is, he's Kurtz. He's a guy the Federation sent up the river to do very bad shit, who discovered that the Federation isn't what it says it is, and he's going to bring the bad shit home. Kirk et al will have to sail up the river to kill him and face the insanity--and probably come home to clean house.

All the old fans who are going to cry about how this pisses on Roddenberry's great utopia and sense of hope and all that shit need to take a break, look at Memory Alpha for a while, and come back to tell me how many bugshit crazy Admirals there were in TOS alone, let alone TNG/DS9. All this does is kick that up a notch in terms of universe-building: in TOS, the sheer volume of crazy admirals was kind of inexplicable and weird, given Roddenberry's fantasies that the future was essentially a utopia. In Abrams' version, there's obviously going to be some rot at the heart of 'civilization' that makes corruption at the top way more explicable. With obvious allegorical application to our current times--just as Roddenbery's ST was working with late 60s America in mind.

I would bet a ton of money that Cumberbatch's super terrorist got sent to do something really bad by Peter Weller's admiral--hence his choice of initial target. And Weller's corrupt admiral will egg Kirk on in going after Cumberbatch's villain hoping that Kirk will do his dirty business for him (Kirk being cast as Marlowe in Heart of Darkness), Kirk will get his head handed to him, will have to face that he was manipulated because he's impulsive, and grow up some. At which point he will go get Cumberbatch's bad guy in a smarter way, come home and clean house, and deliver a speech about how humans have a lot of evolving to do or something like that.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: March 22, 2013, 06:17:08 PM

Libertarian co-worker loves Star Trek, but he hates the whole "It's a Communist pipe dream" aspect. 

Anyways, DS9 was the greatest Trek, and I look forward to this new movie  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: March 22, 2013, 06:27:48 PM

I can tell when trailers are hiding big elements of plot and this one clearly is. I'll come back after the movie comes out to eat some crow but I don't see that happening.
Yea, between this and what Khaldun said about Heart of Darkness, I can see there being more to it. Would be nice in face. As much as I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it if it's anything like the first, I don't truly want the Star Trek: Commander Sherpard Edition the trailers imply.

And I completely agree with you on:
My first real Trek was TNG, and even looking back from season 4, there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff until Best of Both Worlds. I can see people not sticking around for three seasons hoping it gets better of course. But when people think TNG, they're not thinking Encounter at Farpoint.

Which is why I get that DS9 was considered awesome, but only in seasons well after the 1st, which is when I gave up on it.

As to Trek being hard sci fi as someone said? No fucking way. They skirt the mere edges of some interesting concepts. But they continually tried to increase their audience by lowering the common denominator with made up words to surround really pretty pedestrian concepts. Star Trek is hard sci fi only to people who think Star Wars was too  awesome, for real

Can't blame them though. Even with a trillion channels, TV is all about growing year over year reach.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:58 PM

Best part of Ds9:

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #304 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:05 PM

I saw SOME of TNG after the first season. Most of the Borg episodes which were some of the best. Some of the Data/Lore stuff. I just thought most of the plots and supporting characters (especially Whoopi Goldberg's - she always annoyed me because she was essentially a plot device to keep from having to do inner monologues) were shit. Also, I thought the writers were really unwilling or unable to shake up the series with real death. Other than Yar and Picard's two-parter as Borg, I didn't see a lot of non-redshirt death or tribulations. And the Federation was a bunch of pussies. DS9 at least had some meat to it and was much more willing to show a naturalistic society as opposed to the utopia of the Enterprise that never quite sat right with me.

Also, dilithium crystals? NOT HARD SCI-FI. They are as hand-wavy as my explanation for technomancers.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: March 23, 2013, 03:24:10 AM

Best part of Ds9:

Well done, that doesn't work on SO MANY LEVELS.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #306 on: March 23, 2013, 07:59:41 AM

Best part of Ds9:

Yeah, that's a whole new level of hotlinking linkfailure.   Host it yourself.

Oh, and DS9 bored me. I stopped watching regularly after S1 and gave up entirely with the Dominion Herp-Derp.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #307 on: March 23, 2013, 08:42:18 AM

I think Khaldun nailed it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:08 PM

Best part of Ds9:

Yeah, that's a whole new level of hotlinking linkfailure.   Host it yourself.

Oh, and DS9 bored me. I stopped watching regularly after S1 and gave up entirely with the Dominion Herp-Derp.

I think someone didn't get the point...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And DS9 was shit. And I've seen all the "good" episodes in other peoples houses. The "bit battle" episode, was An entire recitation of "the charge of the light brigade" Gul Dukat philosophizing about the concept of victory and some guy talking about how he could not appreciate art because he didn't have the genetics to appreciate art (Racism much?) and lots of people bouncing around the screen for ninutes with 30 seconds of spaceships shooting. Would have been better as a one part episode

But yeah. Season 1 and 2 of TNG were pretty awful. Its only in season 3 that it got into its groove. You should see 'Yeaterday's Enterprise' at least, which, apart from Denise Crosbie, is My vote for best trek episode ever.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:12:18 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: March 23, 2013, 02:07:43 PM

I don't get people that like DS9 or TNG and not the other. TOS is one thing, so is voyager but DS9 and TNG are basically bookends content wise.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: March 23, 2013, 03:03:58 PM

No.  I really don't think they are.

DS9 was when they moved away from a kind of 'Culture' Federation and pretty much just made it Wild West America.  With all the Americanisms that you so despise.  Let's bring money back in, let's start a war, let's have lots and lots of terrorists.  Let's have Jake be a Journalist and turn into exactly the wrong kind of journalist.  One that ignores the fucking truth.  Hey, let's make fucking religion a cornerstone of the series from the first episode and JESUS FUCK weren't the religious episodes some of the worst fucking tripe ever.  No-one killed Nurse Ratchett at first glance ?  Really ?  She was just allowed to wander around ?  Ok.

DS9 was utter, utter excrement and I'm glad it's over.

But, hey, we're doing this fucking argument again.  Great.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13:03 PM

What argument?

She really is pretty: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/hottest-stars-sci-fi-universe-gallery-1.39013

All the bits are in the right spots.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: March 23, 2013, 03:25:50 PM

TNG was the pinnacle of Trek.  Period.  But not until Berman had more say in the series after season 2 and especially so after Roddenberry died.  He kept most of Roddenberry's ideals but modernized their presentation, especially with regard to character development.  DS9 did much of the same but shaved it down to "life on a space station" which to me made it bland until they started fucking around more in the Gamma quadrant, the dominion wars, etc.  Really, it didnt get good until Wharf showed up and started kicking ass on the Defiant and sleeping with Trills.

Also, we musn't get hard sci-fi mixed up with "high" sci-fi or "low" sci-fi.  All hard means is that it's rooted in actual science and that's really it.  I look at TOS and TNG as high sci-fi because of the philosophy involved and the general air of hope; though in some cases it could be considered hard since the relevant science seems to be catching up with theory (they did employ physicists after all).  Abrams' pop culture sci-fi would be considered low; the sci-fi parts are really there just for flavor and entertainment (not message) is the main premise... there's no lofty in his Trek.  Which to me is somewhat a shame as the IP really isnt built nor meant for that.

Voyager I'd consider hard sci. fi, which turned a lot of people off.  That series was really made for the Trek grognard to feast on technobabble.  I personally liked all of the Trek series', even Enterprise.. with TNG being my fav.  They all had trouble ramping up in quality though and Enterprise actually sucked more the longer it went.

As much as we spit hate at certain production years and episodes, compared with the drivel we get these days it really wasnt all that bad.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #313 on: March 23, 2013, 04:41:50 PM

What argument?

She really is pretty: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/hottest-stars-sci-fi-universe-gallery-1.39013

All the bits are in the right spots.

Bunk. Me. In.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: March 23, 2013, 05:59:31 PM

No.  I really don't think they are.

DS9 was when they moved away from a kind of 'Culture' Federation and pretty much just made it Wild West America.  With all the Americanisms that you so despise.  Let's bring money back in, let's start a war, let's have lots and lots of terrorists.  Let's have Jake be a Journalist and turn into exactly the wrong kind of journalist.  One that ignores the fucking truth.  Hey, let's make fucking religion a cornerstone of the series from the first episode and JESUS FUCK weren't the religious episodes some of the worst fucking tripe ever.  No-one killed Nurse Ratchett at first glance ?  Really ?  She was just allowed to wander around ?  Ok.

DS9 was utter, utter excrement and I'm glad it's over.

But, hey, we're doing this fucking argument again.  Great.
What's it like, always being wrong about every sci-fi series?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: