Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 08:01:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 197578 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #105 on: December 07, 2012, 12:29:10 PM

Time travel is such a horrible crutch for Star Trek EVERYTHING EVER, they really should avoid it.  

I had to look at the URL to know who that was. The last Doctor I ever saw wore a striped suit with parsley attached to it.  tongue (Actually it was either him or the curly-haired asshole, I don't remember the order.)

I'll make an exception for him, though sure, as well as Time Bandits and Bill and Ted.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:53 PM

Well, yes. But the impression I got was that you thought the entirety of the Borg in First Contact was modelled on Aliens, whereas I'm saying it was just that one sequence and the use of a Queen with everything else having already been established in the series (what they looked like, how they moved in that slow plodding way, the regen chambers, the synthesis of droid and organic tech like they were doing with Data, etc).

Because, ya know, it matters. Or something smiley
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #107 on: December 07, 2012, 12:45:23 PM

The thing with slowly infesting/assimilating the Enterprise was also a lot more organic and Aliens-y and a lot less like the Borg from TNG.

I feel like if the Borg from TNG were going to assimilate an entire ship, they'd grab it in a tractor beam, drag it right into their giant fucking cube ship, and slice it up with lasers to extract the useful parts with maximum efficiency.  Remember the very first time the Enterprise met the Borg, how the first thing the Borg did was carve a core sample out of the saucer section and pull it out just to see what was in there?  That's what makes the Borg scary -- they are huge and faceless and powerful, and as far as they're concerned every other species is raw material to be processed.  They aren't quick or sly or sneaky because they don't need to be.  Having them creep and spread around like a Zerg infestation is missing the point.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #108 on: December 07, 2012, 12:49:00 PM

That's because the main Borg cube was blown up and it was only the remnants in the escape sphere that were able to transport onto the Enterprise before it too was destroyed.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:03 PM

The thing with slowly infesting/assimilating the Enterprise was also a lot more organic and Aliens-y and a lot less like the Borg from TNG.

I feel like if the Borg from TNG were going to assimilate an entire ship, they'd grab it in a tractor beam, drag it right into their giant fucking cube ship, and slice it up with lasers to extract the useful parts with maximum efficiency.  Remember the very first time the Enterprise met the Borg, how the first thing the Borg did was carve a core sample out of the saucer section and pull it out just to see what was in there?  That's what makes the Borg scary -- they are huge and faceless and powerful, and as far as they're concerned every other species is raw material to be processed.  They aren't quick or sly or sneaky because they don't need to be.  Having them creep and spread around like a Zerg infestation is missing the point.

Thanks.

It was in Voyager that they started fucking around with the Borg and turning them into basically nanites.  It didn't really work and made it all techno-organic and shite.  I far preferred them when they were just a total and utter fucking rip off of Cybermen.

And it might not matter.  In any other thread.  Beyond the Star Trek one.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #110 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01:22 PM

That's because the main Borg cube was blown up and it was only the remnants in the escape sphere that were able to transport onto the Enterprise before it too was destroyed.

The concept of an "escape sphere" itself in the context of the Borg is fucking stupid.  It only makes sense if you have the concept of a Queen who is more important than the drones.  Which is itself fucking stupid.  It's like an Escher painting of missing the point of the Borg.

And yeah, I think we can blame the Voyager writers for most of it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:36 PM

I don't remember much Voyager/Borg action except with the one where they started by beaming a proton torpedo onto the ship (was that the one with the guy from the 27th century that gave the doctor the improved SAG rates holo emitter)?

I feel like the Borg were screwed with too much to call First Contact "off". There was the Hugh episode which made them apparently easy to humanize. There was the Lore episode which made them both stupid and easily corruptible. There was the run-by-kids TOS-throwback episode in Voyager. Heck, as much as I enjoyed Best of Both Worlds, and consider it the turning point of TNG itself, they deviated from that by only partially assimilating Picard (which was obvious even before they stated it in First Contact). I don't recall any DS9 episode with them save the premiere. And while some of the books were fun, particulary Peter David's Vendetta, that matters as much to lore as SW EU stuff.

I agree the Queen was just wimping out and going with "bad guy" in lazier movie making than "the bad guy is technology run amock across a communist paradise". But the vibe I got was less Aliens than it was ants. And because they never were any more consistent than "techy bad guys who speak in echo" in any of the series leading up to that point, it didn't bother me.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:10 PM

Doctor Who is the Nightmare Before Christmas of this generation.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:16 PM

Was Vendetta that one that brough the Planet Eater from ToS back to kill the Borg ?  Because that one was wank.

But the vibe I got was less Aliens than it was ants.

Ohhhhh, I see. swamp poop Ohhhhh, I see.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:32 PM

What does that mean ?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:53 PM

Mediocre to good but with "cult" following that is anything but small.  It's something people watch to get cred with their respective subcultures that has little to do with any sort of quality.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:35 PM

Um.  OK.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:08 PM

Much as I enjoyed buffy and angel as well, they were also incredibly overrated.  Things we enjoy, this scifi stuff and star trek in particular, are not generally good shows. They entertain us and fill a need for fantasy but if you take a couple steps back there are wrought with plot holes and bad acting, unconvincing situations and other problems that would not be tolerated in other genres.

Doctor Who is particularly offensive because in america it's got a factor of "foreign coolness" to it that kids here use to express how much cooler they are for watching something on bbc america.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #118 on: December 07, 2012, 01:36:07 PM

Mediocre to good but with "cult" following that is anything but small. 

My Little Pony would be the canonical example these days.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #119 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:26 PM

And I will e-stab anyone in the face who says Nightmare was only mediocre.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: December 07, 2012, 01:51:40 PM

Well, yes. But the impression I got was that you thought the entirety of the Borg in First Contact was modelled on Aliens, whereas I'm saying it was just that one sequence and the use of a Queen with everything else having already been established in the series (what they looked like, how they moved in that slow plodding way, the regen chambers, the synthesis of droid and organic tech like they were doing with Data, etc).

Because, ya know, it matters. Or something smiley
The Borg Queen was just the Cyber Leader in a fetish suit, of course.

Go fuck yourself, dickbrain.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #121 on: December 07, 2012, 01:55:38 PM

Much as I enjoyed buffy and angel as well, they were also incredibly overrated.  Things we enjoy, this scifi stuff and star trek in particular, are not generally good shows. They entertain us and fill a need for fantasy but if you take a couple steps back there are wrought with plot holes and bad acting, unconvincing situations and other problems that would not be tolerated in other genres.

Doctor Who is particularly offensive because in america it's got a factor of "foreign coolness" to it that kids here use to express how much cooler they are for watching something on bbc america.

Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:47 PM

Was Vendetta that one that brough the Planet Eater from ToS back to kill the Borg ?  Because that one was wank.

Yea. But I admit to not knowing the what "wank" means in this context. Hated it or loved it?

Reason I said "ants" is because Aliens aliens move really fast whereas ants seem to sorta plod along. Maybe there's more similarity? Now I'm remembering how much I thought the opening dream sequence in First Contact reminded me of Aliens face huggers. Damn you pop culture!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #123 on: December 07, 2012, 02:20:52 PM

I thought you meant the Woody Allen cartoon.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:01 PM

What is wrong with you people. Its like a bunch of hipsters invaded.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: December 07, 2012, 03:06:09 PM

What is wrong with you people. Its like a bunch of hipsters invaded.

F13 was a bunch of hipsters before hipsters were hipsters.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #126 on: December 07, 2012, 03:16:19 PM

It all stems from schild and his béret-wearing film critiques awesome, for real
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: December 07, 2012, 03:17:12 PM

Yea. But I admit to not knowing the what "wank" means in this context. Hated it or loved it?

This thread is wank. Also equating Dr. Who with Buffy and Angel? I don't even swamp poop

And all this in the Trek film thread, it's the escher of nerd culture DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 07, 2012, 05:04:21 PM

I am ASSUMING we are on the same side, for I agree and I will stab.

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:49 PM

I'll give them to Oogie Boogie.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: December 07, 2012, 07:05:44 PM

Nightmare was very good but it got put on a really high pedestal but I can't be the only one thinking Dr Who is overrated...really? I mean yes my opinion and all, maybe I'm that one guy but it really does nothing for me and I LIKE scifi.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:15 PM

Nightmare was very good but it got put on a really high pedestal but I can't be the only one thinking Dr Who is overrated...really? I mean yes my opinion and all, maybe I'm that one guy but it really does nothing for me and I LIKE scifi.

Be careful of the "and i LIKE scifi". Sci-Fi has always been... pretty much my favorite genre, and I've always liked Doctor Who. There are plenty of die hard Sci fi fans that do as well.

Seriously, it CAN just come down to taste.

Except for Nightmare. You're stupid and should feel bad if you don't like it. But then, it's one of my most favorite things ever.

beer geek.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #132 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:35 PM

Slamming Nightmare and Who?

I will rip off your head and hire your favorite actor to shit down your neck.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 07, 2012, 10:17:16 PM

Slamming Nightmare and Who?

I will rip off your head and hire your favorite actor to shit down your neck.

Overrated is different from slamming, I like nightmare but come on.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: December 08, 2012, 12:04:31 AM

Thanks.

It was in Voyager that they started fucking around with the Borg and turning them into basically nanites.  It didn't really work and made it all techno-organic and shite.  I far preferred them when they were just a total and utter fucking rip off of Cybermen.

And it might not matter.  In any other thread.  Beyond the Star Trek one.

Sorry. The "assimilation by biting you to turn you into a zombie stinging you with Nanites that turn you into Borg" started in First Contact. The Borg hadn't even turned up in Voyager at that stage.

And the Borg were at their best by being a unified FORCE of cybermen that chewed you up and then spat the bits of you they didn't like out. That started eroding when Picard was grabbed. Basically the Borg began losing it at the end of Part 1 of TBOBT because the writers just felt that every enemy has to have a face/leader, and could not comprehend that this was a time to break the rules.

Ironically, Doctor Who made the same mistake with the Daleks when they were became basically the puppets of Davros/the Dalek Emporer. There's no menace in a bunch of puppets.

First contact was a bad zombie movie with "alcoholic historical figures doing it for the money" to give it edge. It was terrible, and I've rarely been so let down by a movie in my life.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 08, 2012, 12:47:15 AM

Ironically, Doctor Who made the same mistake with the Daleks when they were became basically the puppets of Davros/the Dalek Emporer. There's no menace in a bunch of puppets.

When did this happen ?

I can't think of a single story where Davros wasn't entirely fucked over by his own creations.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 08, 2012, 03:50:49 AM

So you're saying that the longest running TV sci-fi series in the entire world is only popular because it's a fad?

Really?

I mean, I know that there's an awful lot of Trekkies butthurt ITT because J. J. Abrams made Star Trek actually popular rather than just 'popular with Trekkies' popular but there's no real need to project that elsewhere.

E: Davros and the Daleks fucked over each other equally, iirc. 4thDoc might not have outright destroyed the cyborg pepperpots back in 'Genesis' but having Davros around turned them from "United, all-conquering Empire" into "squabbling factions being fucked over by each other" right up until 7thDoc kicked the Time War into high gear by giving Davros a certain stellar manipulator and saying "Don't throw me into that Briar Patch use the Hand of Omega".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:55:09 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 08, 2012, 06:37:13 AM

Trek movies popular with Trekkies are ones that'll actually stand the test of time, whereas Trek done for the current pop masses are just a moneygrab.  They're not movies in the sense of art, they're just diversions from current events.  The latter is what Abrams is good at.

I'll watch the movie because I'm sure it'll be good entertainment, but in the back of my head I'll still be wanting.

Also, didnt Abrams say his next Trek film would likely involve Khan in some way, with a twist?  I'm hearkening back to before his reboot came out and he was being interviewed.  If I had to guess he's merging the Mitchell and Khan tropes into one movie, which honestly sounds intriguing to me.  Both characters are similar in a lot of ways.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 08, 2012, 06:46:32 AM

Trek movies popular with Trekkies are ones that'll actually stand the test of time, whereas Trek done for the current pop masses are just a moneygrab. 
{citation needed}

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #139 on: December 08, 2012, 06:53:09 AM

So am I ok if I just say it was bad then?   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: