Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Pacific Rim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 181230 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: October 20, 2013, 05:07:20 PM

Either your a fan of this type of shit or you aren't.

So as a fan, what would you have done to the movie to make it more to your liking?

I'm asking seriously.

There's a lot of entertainment I don't like but can understand why someone can like it (faux-reality TV, seven dozen versions of CSI, fucking Big Bang Theory). There's also schlocky stuff I do like which others don't and which have flimsy stories but at least try and hold themselves together (Back to the Future, some of the Die Hards, the new Treks with some exception).

But then there's movies like this which were ok fun for reasons that had very little to do with what was produced and more to what was promised. The entire experience was huge ass robots fighting huge ass monsters. I had to know that go in and hold onto only that to get through the rest of it.

I think the movie would have been better off without trying to explain itself at all. Just drop someone into the middle of the story without any preamble and let them neckbeard how the story got there, and then if there's enough sustained interest to produce quality fanfic, go make a prequel.

But what I feel like we got was what you complained about of LotR: 20 minutes of good fight scenes surrounded by a whole lot of extraneous filler dialog, walking around, and bromancing. And there's a number of fans who'd have liked LoTR to be longer too smiley

Fastedit: and yes, I see the irony in there being two dozen pages about a movie that bears no scrutiny  Ohhhhh, I see.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: October 20, 2013, 07:52:18 PM

There's a lot of entertainment I don't like but can understand why someone can like it (faux-reality TV, seven dozen versions of CSI, fucking Big Bang Theory). There's also schlocky stuff I do like which others don't and which have flimsy stories but at least try and hold themselves together (Back to the Future, some of the Die Hards, the new Treks with some exception).

The thing about movies like Die Hard, BTTF, Star Wars, etc (not so much new Trek, which is lame) is that the movies have a lot of good scenes that aren't just action scenes. Sure, they aren't Oscar-style films or films with incredibly deep emotional truths, but they are well-made movies that deliver fun action but also fun characters, snappy dialog, memorable moments, etc.

I don't mind films that have little pretense of plot and characters and just jettison that stuff, like say District B-13 or Dredd. What gets me are these 2+ hour blockbusters that spend a lot of time on plot and characters but little of it works.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:50 AM

Either your a fan of this type of shit or you aren't.

So as a fan, what would you have done to the movie to make it more to your liking?

I'm asking seriously.

But then there's movies like this which were ok fun for reasons that had very little to do with what was produced and more to what was promised. The entire experience was huge ass robots fighting huge ass monsters. I had to know that go in and hold onto only that to get through the rest of it.

I think the movie would have been better off without trying to explain itself at all. Just drop someone into the middle of the story without any preamble and let them neckbeard how the story got there, and then if there's enough sustained interest to produce quality fanfic, go make a prequel.

But what I feel like we got was what you complained about of LotR: 20 minutes of good fight scenes surrounded by a whole lot of extraneous filler dialog, walking around, and bromancing. And there's a number of fans who'd have liked LoTR to be longer too smiley

Fastedit: and yes, I see the irony in there being two dozen pages about a movie that bears no scrutiny  Ohhhhh, I see.

Pacific Rim has many faults but ultimately it gave its target audience what it wants. The problem is that its target audience is a minority within a minority. Darniaq I think you miss understood, I saw this movie 3 times, this shit was awesome. What the movie suffered from is Hollywood writers. They can write a beginnning or an end but never anything in the middle. Which in my opinion is where the cream of the cusp lies, in the middle. If they had set the movie in the middle of the war it would have had a greater impact, the biggest flaw of the movie is the flimsy way it wishes to tie itself into a bow.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #808 on: October 22, 2013, 05:52:02 PM

Just saw this last night.

Reasons to be cheerful, Part Me.

Giant robots punching the shit out of giant monsters.

Rinko Kikuchi was fucking hot in this role. Like, ridiculously so. She was cute in Babel but so fucking broken it didn't matter. In this? A crazy, hot badass.

Idriss Elba. He was one of the few redeeming things in Prometheus. He didn't disappoint here.

Burn Gorman (Torchwood's Owen) and Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I was waiting for fucking Kaiju Mittens.

Last but not least, Ron. Fucking. Perlman.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: October 22, 2013, 11:16:39 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: October 23, 2013, 12:59:02 AM

Yeah.  That pretty much covers it actually.

Except I can't even remember my inner nine year old, never mind listen to him.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: October 23, 2013, 05:27:58 AM

Oh my god I couldn't stop laughing for 2 whole minutes. Genius.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:45 AM

"pew pew pew"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:31 AM

I can't even remember my inner nine year old, never mind listen to him.

At some point my inner nine year old got hold of a loud-hailer, and now I can't get him to shut the fuck up.
Also, you have no idea how much he wants me to work for Guillermo del Toro.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: October 25, 2013, 01:35:12 PM

Holy shit, 24 pages of neckbearding* the dumbest movie in decades was worth it all just to have that trailer result.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

* yes, including me
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: November 22, 2013, 12:44:31 PM

Saw this. Really bad. No dramatic tension at all. The script was awful, and not in a 'knowingly hitting genre cliches' kind of way.

The non believability stuff didn't bother me much - though the pilots looking like Jedwin from Eurovision was pretty hilarious - but there was nothing there to enjoy.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #816 on: November 22, 2013, 08:14:08 PM

I wasn't going to stir the pot, but I also saw it 2-3 weeks ago and it was entirely forgettable CGI shit. 
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:52 PM

You guys just hate fun.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: November 23, 2013, 04:06:25 AM

Pew pew pew  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #819 on: November 28, 2013, 06:09:50 PM

I AM GOING TO PUT THE MOST EXPENSIVE (IS THERE A DIRECTOR'S CUT?) BLUERAY VERSION OF THIS BLISSFULLY STUPID ROBOT PUNCHING ALIENS MOVIE ON MY CHIRSTMAS LIST JUST TO SPITE YOU HATING SONS OF BITCHES EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE OUTNUMBERED BY CHILL BROS LIKE TEN TO THREE.

My family isn't very technically savvy so I will probably wind up with Thunder Cats Season two but so be it (they already bought me Thunder Cats season one for some horrible reason it is still in the original plastic wrap I'm not watching that crap).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:11:25 PM by Miasma »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: November 29, 2013, 01:18:45 AM

The new Thundercats ?  I'll take that off your hands.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #821 on: November 29, 2013, 06:22:03 AM

Didn't know there was a new Thundercats.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #822 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:28 AM

Didn't know there was a new Thundercats.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it only lasted a season before cancellation.

It wasn't that bad.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: December 14, 2013, 10:14:06 AM

I just saw this and although I don't dislike it I will say I am a bit underwhelmed.  Maybe it was not seeing it on a giant screen, maybe it was the lack of 3d, maybe it was the judgmental looks my wife kept giving me.  Mostly I kept thinking that if transformers was filmed the same way it would have been a better movie.  I will say that I am now convinced that every effort will be made to view all future movies with glorious potential such as this in the imax 3d theatre next to my work and away from my wife's damning gaze.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:13 PM

I got given this on DVD.

It was better than Ender's Game.

That's not a lot of praise because Ender's game wasn't a crash hot representation of the novel but at least the popcorn was fresh.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: December 15, 2013, 02:44:39 AM

and away from my wife's damning gaze.

Sounds like the Aliens would have been better off using your wife, and not giant monsters.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: December 15, 2013, 07:08:18 AM

Ooh, I guess it has been 10 or so pages since the last thread reset smiley
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #827 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:30 AM

The short answer on how these monsters would have been dealt with has not changed in half a dozen pages:

An endless supply of dumb missiles just constantly barraging that whole until schild's cement dump is ready.

Assuming they wouldn't run out of missiles or cement. How much cement would it take to plug up an interdimensional rift anyway?  awesome, for real

I'm waaaaay too lazy and uncaring to even pretend to do actual maths on this, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it'd take less than a giant wall around every continent.  Or any continent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: January 13, 2014, 03:56:09 AM

I don't know how you people missed this, but Pacific Rim is a clear comment on globalization.  The monsters represent IP piracy, cheap knockoffs and offshore manufacturing.  The monsters rising from the waters couldn't be a more clear metaphor.  The giant wall is a ridiculous idea, but not in the context Del Toro intends which is to show that protectionism is expensive and ultimately futile against foreign market forces.  What does work are the giant mechs from different countries that work together to defeat the monsters.  In fact, he's smacking us in the face with this metaphor for free market globalization.

I preferred Elysium's subtle, nuanced take on immigration and class struggle personally.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:31 AM

I don't know how you people missed this, but Pacific Rim is a clear comment on globalization.  The monsters represent IP piracy, cheap knockoffs and offshore manufacturing.  The monsters rising from the waters couldn't be a more clear metaphor.  The giant wall is a ridiculous idea, but not in the context Del Toro intends which is to show that protectionism is expensive and ultimately futile against foreign market forces.  What does work are the giant mechs from different countries that work together to defeat the monsters.  In fact, he's smacking us in the face with this metaphor for free market globalization.

I preferred Elysium's subtle, nuanced take on immigration and class struggle personally.
Seeing something in 'art' does not make it intentional.  And I, personally, would think that G. Del Toro would be the first to say, "Sometimes a cigar is just a big friggin excuse to have monsters battle robots."

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:11 AM

Jesus Christ, I think I am getting vertigo staring down that sarchasm.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #831 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:08 PM

That tiny speck at the bottom is jgsugden.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: January 13, 2014, 12:31:15 PM

That tiny speck at the bottom is jgsugden.
awesome, for real

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: January 13, 2014, 02:41:16 PM

Consideringt he stuff I see around here, I see no reason to assume that was sarcasm.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: January 13, 2014, 02:47:26 PM

Consideringt he stuff I see around here, I see no reason to assume that was sarcasm.
You obviously have not seen Elysium.  awesome, for real

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: January 13, 2014, 03:22:05 PM

Again, considering the dumbfoundingly bizarre things I have seen on f13, I see no reason to assume...

Didn't someone praise the character development in Pacific Rim a dozen or so pages back?

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: January 13, 2014, 03:46:24 PM

This thread needs less debate, commentary or rationalization, and more gifs/memes.

Or maybe discussion of the sequel they're sure to make?

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:56 PM

Yeah, that was me.  As an American I don't have time for an entire movie devoted to the protaganist's growth.  He's a saloon owner with a heart of gold.  We get it 'Casablanca'!
Jesus.  Get to the Nazi-killing already!

In Pacific Rim, we get a quick, concise snapshot of characters motivations.  The yelling black dude was dying, the American dude had something to prove, the Asian lady had her deal.  Bam.  Done. I don't need to know what type of cancer is killing Heimdall.  He's dying, he's in charge, he lets loose with a big speech.  Should he pick up a skull and go all Hamlet on us?  Hell no!  Let's move on to the action and the greater themes; the emergence of the nations of the Pacific Rim to a First World global economy.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:05 PM

This thread needs less debate, commentary or rationalization, and more gifs/memes.

Or maybe discussion of the sequel they're sure to make?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: January 31, 2014, 11:44:14 PM

Yeah, that was me.  As an American I don't have time for an entire movie devoted to the protaganist's growth.  He's a saloon owner with a heart of gold.  We get it 'Casablanca'!
Jesus.  Get to the Nazi-killing already!

There's a difference between saying the character development was good vs. it didn't exist but also didn't need to.

My problem with that aspect of the film is that the character development is awful combined with the fact that the movie actually has a lot of character development. It's not like there's a little but what little there is is good - there's actually a lot, but most of it is bad.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Pacific Rim  
Jump to: