Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Mudflation. Are they listening? Or just putting some oil on the water.. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mudflation. Are they listening? Or just putting some oil on the water..  (Read 38683 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 03:48:49 PM

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/black-lion-trading-company-weekend-sales

Hope lube is on sale, my butt's still sore from last weekends event I didnt attend. 

never bought gems after the price skyrocket like crazy.
i think it's just another event i can safely ignore.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 03:49:10 PM

Maybe they know enough to only send it out to accounts that logged in during it.

Nope.  But one of the questions is "did you log in during the event"? And then followed by a "why not?"  I made sure to let them know they were going in a direction I wasn't comfortable with.

Big brother much?  Yeah, I guess I'm too casual anymore but I neither go out of my way for events, nor when I was on took part in anything.  All these "one time" events they are doing do not include me and they only make me feel like this game isn't for me (even though I do really like it.)  
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 04:48:59 PM

As a player who has around 340 hours logged so far in GW2 final, the announcement leading up to the lost shores release made me quit entirely. Cold turkey.

It was that combined with the terrible culling problems in WvW that pushed me away.

I've got two level 80s, a 65, and a 51 and I literally have no idea what a fractal is or isn't nor do I know anything about these crab things other than the promo pictures I've seen here and there.

If the goal was to drive away people like me, for whatever reason,  they have succeeded.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 05:21:08 PM

Dumb question: I've seen "culling problem" a lot, but what is it and what does it affect? Sounds like a big problem, just curious if it's affecting me and I don't know it smiley

In general, every major game breaking issue I've seen raised everywhere feels like it's some other game. My biggest gripe is the repeatedly breaking DEs. But while Southsun was a bust for me, there's dozens of other zones I won't ever go back to either. Feel like I'm wearing first-to-MMO niave horse blinders. Or maybe it's because I'm only experiencing 1/3 of the game wink

Just crossed over 200 hours, and that was with three weeks off in the middle due to travel. I've felt same-priced games were well worth that money when my entire time playing was 1/5 of that. Good show Anet, particularly given I had no interest in this game until the week before early launch.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 05:34:20 PM

Culling = 100 people in an area, and the game only renders 50 of them. Except some of the 50 you can't see, can see you, and vice versa, and people are fighting things they can't see, or getting hit by things they can't see, and it's a mess.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 05:58:20 PM

WTF?! I assume that was discovered in beta and yet they went with it anyway?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 05:59:50 PM

It's not something that is so much "discovered" as "intentional". To reduce lag or whatever.

It actually was worse in WvW at one point than it is now; it is still quite bad at times. (It happens in PVE too, this was one of the major complaints about this weekend's event.)

EDIT: I should add, those numbers were pulled out of my ass to an extent. I don't know to what degree that it happens as a % of people or whatever, just that it happens and affects the game very noticeably.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:01:47 PM by Ingmar »

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24:56 PM

It's terrible. Go to your borderlands or to a borderlands where you hold the garrison. Go to the inner wall and go up to the corner facing the north east - the tower there. Now, look to the south towards the wood-planked walkways. You can't see any enemies standing on that. Look to the west at the tower opposite of you. You can't see anyone there.

Now imagine that there are 100+ people fighting a 3 way fight there. You can see some spell effects but you can't even see half of the friendlies and sometimes zero enemies.

Here's a shot from the worst night - there was a bug that made it so once a character was removed from your renderer they never reappeared. The results were pretty comical with only your group remaining visible after about 20 minutes. There's also video of this night from Freelancer's stream - the date on this file is Oct 7th.

http://imgur.com/KTjcZ

edit: In related news I just logged out of planetside 2 in disgust - there is MASSIVE culling there too! Granted, this was an enormous fight but no enemies loaded further than 15 ft away. And you couldn't shoot in that general direction and actually hit them. They'd just fade into being suddenly and roll you over. (these were crouched engineers or heavy assaults - not lights or infs)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:28:43 PM by Nija »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:30 PM

I can understand it being intentional, but for them to get through Beta without a permanent solution is clownshoes.

So you can hit all these people with AOEs, but not with direct stuff, and you're not sure if they're hitting you and it's all just a big CF?

Glad I was holding off on WvW.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 22, 2012, 12:09:07 AM

It's not solvable, it's an inherent problem of large player count battles. You get [some number] of enemies in a tight space and you start lagging out some percentage of them. Reducing the number of entities you are asking the client to track and render protects them from gameplay degradation. It's why Eve battles lagged (and it was a lot simple visually and spatially) and why it happens in planetside 2 as well, plus why most first person shooters have very small teams.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:39 AM

Guys, this dude knows the solution to all problems in GW2.

With the amount of post infractions due to negative commentaries on official forum, one wonders if this is like a plant marketing or some shit.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 01:38:19 AM

A few million paying $25/month. Riiight.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 01:57:59 AM

This reminds me of a few people crying for 'elite servers' on the SWG and WOW forums: only accessible if you pay a $50+/month sub fee, but you'd get personalized events, better CS, etc. In reality it's just elitism and people wanting to distance themselves from the unwashed masses or something.

Actually, didn't EQ (or EQ2) do something like this? Or am I confusing it with the exchange servers?

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 02:22:57 AM

This reminds me of a few people crying for 'elite servers' on the SWG and WOW forums: only accessible if you pay a $50+/month sub fee, but you'd get personalized events, better CS, etc. In reality it's just elitism and people wanting to distance themselves from the unwashed masses or something.

Actually, didn't EQ (or EQ2) do something like this? Or am I confusing it with the exchange servers?

Ya EQ did it and they kept up the personalized stuff for maybe a month or two. But they kept charging a premium for a couple of years.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 02:31:02 AM

I didn't play this for ages and then logged in on the last day of the event.  I also have no clue about fractals (I have a generator program though!) or anything else.  However, having read reviews of the event here and elsewhere, it sounds as if it was a mess and people are angry.  Makes me wonder if this is heading to the graveyard soon.  Sheesh... that means another game that's new to me but dead to everyone else!  That happens way too much!  No worries, though.  I'll be back in the US in December and it'll be all BLOPS and Borderlands 2, all the time!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 04:46:47 AM

The dredge one and 'cliffside' (I think that is the one you mention with the hammer?) got called out as taking up to an hour each.
Cliffside could take a while if people are bad at easy jumping puzzles and can't figure out the mechanics nor how to swap the hot potato.  A group that's run it even once before should breeze through it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 22, 2012, 12:47:43 PM

The dredge one and 'cliffside' (I think that is the one you mention with the hammer?) got called out as taking up to an hour each.
Cliffside could take a while if people are bad at easy jumping puzzles and can't figure out the mechanics nor how to swap the hot potato.  A group that's run it even once before should breeze through it.

I've run Cliffside twice as fast at level 9 than at level 2; experience makes a huge difference even with double the mobs and much more boss health.  btw, little tip with cliffside: as a dagger ele, I stayed behind at the first arm to occupy the mob while the other four went to the next arm.  Held them off until three came back and hit the seal again and I stayed behind again.  I was just downed when the group came back for the last hit, but kept the mobs from regen'ing the seal. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:53:02 PM by sachiel »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Mudflation. Are they listening? Or just putting some oil on the water..  
Jump to: