Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 3  (Read 47688 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:36 PM

Heard a weird-ass twist on NPR today.  The Chinese version has a character that gets all of 5 seconds of screen time in the US as a central story character who eventually saves Tony's life.

Now I want to see the Chinese version.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 07:19:09 PM

Apparently in the Chinese version Stark goes to China for an operation because he thinks they'll do a high-tech surgery on him far better than anywhere in the US or EU.

Also there's a lot of weird product placement in the Chinese version, apparently.

Chinese audiences are reportedly not amused because it's so crudely pandering.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:20 AM

Just saw it full IMAX 3D.  Helps the movie, but not absolutely so.  It's definitely not a "made for 3d" movie; which is a good thing.  I also thought it was definitely as good as IM1.  But as good as Avengers?  Nah. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 12:38:31 AM

I just got back from seeing this, loved it. The action was good, and the movie was really funny; RDJ delivers as always.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:24 PM

Just like Iron Man surprise-fuckstarted the Marvel Movie Universe and proved that something honestly and truly worthwhile could be made of these characters and keep it going in a (mostly) light-hearted, humourous fashion, so too has Iron Man Three knocked it out the park to start off Phase 2.

The interesting thing there is that they don't do any sort of direct set-up for the rest of Phase 2. The events of Avengers get referenced a lot in regards to some anxiety issues Stark is having, but aside from that IM3 is the polar opposite from IM2 in regards to how much focus is put on the greater Marvel Universe. Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D are completely absent here, there's no Black Widow, no hints of Thanos. Even the post-credits scene doesn't lead into the next movie and is simply there for humor. It's good that after all the universe building they've been doing in these movies that now they can pull away from that a bit and just focus on the individual characters.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 01:38:15 AM

Loved Iron Man 3.  I think it's probably my favorite of the 3 actually.  Even with the way some of the canon was messed around with it still worked.

I think it's good they gave this Iron Man the stand alone treatment and I think it may be because RDJ isn't signed on for any more movies past Avengers 2.  As for stuff leading into Avengers 2 I think that's going to be started in Thor and expanded in Guardians of the Galaxy.  I think Cap 2 is going to be in the same standalone set up as Iron Man 3 but all the SHIELD stuff added in.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 05:15:51 AM

There's been some questioning around RDJ sticking with the Iron Man role passed these three films. I'm not sure what he's signed on for around Avengers either.

Saw it and think it is definitely one of the stronger Marvel films. Certainly much better than "IM2" since it isn't weighed down by trying to set up another movie franchise.

You can see the Shane Black-isms all through it too, in the banter between Stark and Rhodes and in the chats with the henchmen.

The post- credits sequence is also one of the funnier parts of the film imo (and it is way, way at the end, so you might be able to make it to the toilet and back if you need to  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?).

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 02:02:42 PM

Joss Whedon has said a couple times that RDJ is coming back for Avengers 2, although I don't think a contract has been hammered out yet.  There is also no Iron Man 4 on the upcoming Marvel schedule and that goes a few years out.

Some stuff I saw about Mandarin...
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 02:39:32 PM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 02:41:42 PM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 04:09:45 PM

Joss Whedon has said a couple times that RDJ is coming back for Avengers 2, although I don't think a contract has been hammered out yet.  There is also no Iron Man 4 on the upcoming Marvel schedule and that goes a few years out.

Some stuff I saw about Mandarin...

Maybe there shouldn't be an Iron Man 4.  Let's end with a very good trilogy.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 04:11:26 PM

Yes, both Marvel and Hollywood are known for their restraint.  awesome, for real

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:00 PM

Well they are already on record as stating that they will replace actors James Bond style.  Although replacing RDJ is gonna be pretty hard.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 04:44:40 PM

This film was fantastic, even if many bits were telegraphed. It's a comic book movie so it gets a pass.  Enjoyable as all get-out and well worth it.

Gwenneth, however, needs fewer close-ups. She's really starting to show her age and those didn't help.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 05:30:11 PM

This film was fantastic, even if many bits were telegraphed. It's a comic book movie so it gets a pass.  Enjoyable as all get-out and well worth it.

Gwenneth, however, needs fewer close-ups. She's really starting to show her age and those didn't help.

Her scenes near the end are near-classics imo.  And really, she's what you want in a beautiful "normal" girl.  Anything more and it'd be too distracting.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:57 PM

Neither she nor RDJ are really supposed to be young heart throbs anymore so I thought she was fine.  If they had put her with a much younger leading man it would seem awkward perhaps but I'm sure if they do iron man again they'll cast a new pepper as well.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #51 on: May 04, 2013, 06:57:58 PM

Loved it.  Saw it in Imax 3d, and though I don't normally care for 3d, they did a really good job of it in this flick.  Probably my favorite of the three.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 04, 2013, 07:04:36 PM

I thought they clearly made a nod to the possible replacement of RDJ with the "Tony Stark will return" thing in the end credits, which is a direct riff on Bond credits.

Very good, if not quite great movie. Way better than IM 2. The big twist is really clever and relieved a lot of the dread I was feeling about where it was all going.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 04, 2013, 07:51:47 PM

If they're going to change actors they ought to just do a reboot; it'd be pretty weird seeing someone other than RDJ playing Stark in this universe.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 04, 2013, 07:57:09 PM

This movie was a whole lotta meh for me.  Even more than for IM2, I was wondering why this one was made.  Insert disposable new villains, wrap up new villains, Tony Stark says something insensitive and funny, have about 10% of the movie involve actually being in the armor and doing things, waste a large portion of that 10% on a single midair rescue scene.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 04, 2013, 07:59:39 PM

If they're going to change actors they ought to just do a reboot; it'd be pretty weird seeing someone other than RDJ playing Stark in this universe.

I don't think the way Marvel is doing their movies they can do reboots.  I would also prefer they didn't actually, there is no real reason they should.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 04, 2013, 08:00:58 PM

Well, that hinges on them wanting to continue their big story beyond Avengers 2.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 04, 2013, 08:23:21 PM

I think Rocket Raccoon and the Guardians of the Galaxy will take quite a bit of wind out of Marvel's sails.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:00 PM

I think Rocket Raccoon and the Guardians of the Galaxy will take quite a bit of wind out of Marvel's sails.

I don't think it will be a huge blockbuster, but I think it'll make it's money back.  Especially since it is probably have the biggest tie-in with Thanos to Avengers 2.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 04, 2013, 08:34:19 PM

Eh, a bad idea executed well is better than a good idea executed poorly. Marvel is firing on all cylinders currently. Guardians will be fine. 

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 04, 2013, 09:07:40 PM

Saw it, loved it. Summer action film done very very well.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #61 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:59 PM

I don't think the way Marvel is doing their movies they can do reboots.

They did it with Spiderrman after three movies.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:09 PM

That wasn't Marvel, that was Sony.  They have the rights to Spiderman locked down, as does 20th Century Fox and the X-men.  That's why you see retardation like that with both those properties.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:36:00 PM by Ard »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 04, 2013, 09:40:22 PM

I saw it and enjoyed it. There are some parts that were not as good but in general it was great. When I saw it with a good friend I leaned over and said "Guy Pearce needs to be in more movies." I don't know what happened to him. He started out and was kind of a boring, handsome actor. Then he sort of disappeared off of my radar and then over the last two years he's come back and had some really great performances. Hell, his TED viral video for Prometheus was the best thing involved with that movie, including the movie.

There was only one character moment I really, really disliked.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #64 on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:02 PM

That wasn't Marvel, that was Sony.

Oh, that's right.  I forgot about that.  I'm still skeptical though.  I don't necessarily think that a reboot is in the works any time soon, but it looks like Marvel has a lot on its plate for phase 2 and 3.  At least we know RDJ will be in Avengers 2.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 04, 2013, 10:30:27 PM

This movie was a whole lotta meh for me.  Even more than for IM2, I was wondering why this one was made.  Insert disposable new villains, wrap up new villains, Tony Stark says something insensitive and funny, have about 10% of the movie involve actually being in the armor and doing things, waste a large portion of that 10% on a single midair rescue scene.

Not gonna nitpick every point here but what, should they have brought back jeff bridges or fucking whiplash? There has only been two movies and the villains weren't exactly so epic caliber that they needed a retread.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 04, 2013, 10:41:56 PM

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #67 on: May 04, 2013, 11:08:37 PM

I saw it and loved it, but it is REALLY both a summer action flick and a comic book movie. The entire villainous plan is really over-complicated for what he states he wants, but it's kind of window dressing anyway. It's just there as an excuse to set up big fight scenes. Do NOT think too hard about it or it will fall apart.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 04, 2013, 11:10:43 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #69 on: May 05, 2013, 12:07:57 AM

I was generally amused but didn't have the OMG AWESOME vibe of some of the recent Marvel flicks (dunno what some people above were griping about re: X-men as First Class was one of the best movies I've seen in the last 5 years or so).

Black has sort of a detached irony about his writing/directing which is amusing but somewhat arch.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 3  
Jump to: