Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Arrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arrow  (Read 95618 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #385 on: December 01, 2015, 01:54:00 PM

Why put Oliver back on the same island for these flashbacks? It would make as much sense to put him somewhere else that's crazily isolated.

He had to go back to the island at some point because that's where he's picked up at the start of the series.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #386 on: December 01, 2015, 01:55:58 PM

The only thing that's really bothering me about this season is the inconsistency in the fight scenes. There seems to be a lot of "wave at and dance around each other" fights and then they go and drop something like the Speedy fight with Diggle's brother that had some really good cinematography.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: December 01, 2015, 02:22:45 PM

I'm losing interest in this show as well.  Also thought they've had some good fight scenes lately, but the return to the island and dredging up old story lines (Digg's brother) is wearing on me.  Also think maybe they are sliding a bit due to introducing all their cool new characters for the Legends show.

Starting to feel bloated.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #388 on: December 01, 2015, 02:28:04 PM

Thinking about it more, the focus on one big overall villain is probably hurting this show a bit too. If everything is just one long march to the inevitable finale against this big bad, it kind of lessens the impact of other episodes. I don't think they should go back to freak of the week type shows, but a nice 2-3 story arc about one villain not remotely related to Dark might be good. That's what I'm hoping for out of this Vandal Savage crossover thing.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: December 01, 2015, 02:40:42 PM

I wouldn't get too excited by that, since Vandal Savage is the main bad and drive for Legends of Tomorrow if the trailer was anything to go by, so expect more of the same. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: December 01, 2015, 02:54:06 PM

Why put Oliver back on the same island for these flashbacks? It would make as much sense to put him somewhere else that's crazily isolated.
He had to go back to the island at some point because that's where he's picked up at the start of the series.
...but we know he leaves it, or at least interacts with some people from off it, a lot more before he gets picked up.  The Russians.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: April 06, 2016, 07:28:22 PM

Well that was unexpected. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: April 07, 2016, 12:11:20 AM

I'm wondering if it is a fakeout.
It'd be a cheap thing to do, but not a surprise.  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:40:21 AM by jgsugden »

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: April 07, 2016, 09:19:12 AM

Well, according to the showrunners it's for keeps.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: April 07, 2016, 11:16:56 AM

Well, according to the showrunners it's for keeps.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:24:04 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: April 07, 2016, 03:16:51 PM

Also, they can be playing the long game and know they're lying when they say
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:43:28 PM by jgsugden »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #396 on: April 09, 2016, 07:29:49 PM

I immediately thought it was a fakeout.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: April 09, 2016, 08:26:53 PM

... and lazy writing. If Darkh wants to kill her, why stab her there? Why not in the eye/brain? Or heart?

This is not their best season. Both the island and the main story have felt like they're stalling....

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: April 10, 2016, 04:48:28 AM

We've stopped watching, because I don't think it's stalling. I think they legitimately have no idea where to take these characters now.

The thing is, Oliver isn't the unquestioned leader of the group any more. It's as if Batman trained all the people around him and suddenly everybody was as good as him and nobody really had that much of a purpose any more. And Batman lost his drive when that happened.

Oliver doesn't have anything that's really pushing him or motivating him to be better than everyone. Nothing makes him exercise fanatically, practice archery so he can be the best, eats away at him. He's doing the vigilante thing out of duty, because he's supposed to and because why not, it's kind of fun. And that's because the showrunners don't know what makes the character tick any longer. First they used the whole dad-told-me-to-save-the-city thing; then it was the power of all the secrets Oliver was keeping and the secrets being kept from him and the danger of a rival who knew him intimately; then it was vengeance. And then? Then it was, well, nothing really.

The show has always had laughable plotlines and confusing arcs, but it had a kind of raw fun to it from about mid-Season 1 through Season 2. It feels now like something that ended a while back but doesn't know it yet.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #399 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:41 AM

I think part of it is that Dark isn't really that interesting a villain. Neal McDonough is enjoying playing him but there doesn't really seem like the character has much meat. The whole vagueness of his plan and "Genesis" doesn't help, and having to stretch the whole thing out to a whole season and tying it into both the flashbacks and other "villain of the week" stories also hurts it. There needs to be more baddies in a season that are 1-3 episode problems that aren't tied to some overarching season long plot. Those kinds of things only work if the villain at the end is actually compelling. Dark is not. He's too powerful on an individual level and the HIVE/Ghosts are too much disposable foils for meandering fight scenes. A lot of the fight scenes feel forced without any real purpose, almost like the weekly car/motorcycle chases that infected the last few seasons of Sons of Anarchy.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: May 27, 2016, 12:41:32 AM

So the season ended for this and the only thing I could think of is how awful the bad guys are at shooting. You'd think that the multitude of bullets fired from assault rifles all season long would have actually managed to hit someone...  swamp poop
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: May 27, 2016, 05:41:36 AM

So the season ended for this and the only thing I could think of is how awful the bad guys are at shooting. You'd think that the multitude of bullets fired from assault rifles all season long would have actually managed to hit someone...  swamp poop

Shooting? like how when the Hive soldiers show up to fight with Darhk at the end against the civilians and instead of shooting they run up to melee?

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: May 27, 2016, 06:06:09 AM

Shooting? like how when the Hive soldiers show up to fight with Darhk at the end against the civilians and instead of shooting they run up to melee?

Maybe they thought that since they can't hit anything with their guns they'd do better in close combat...only to be beaten by your average civilians in that too.  Ohhhhh, I see.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: May 27, 2016, 08:48:18 AM

This show has gone so far downhill. It is really a disappointment.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #404 on: May 27, 2016, 09:18:46 AM

It's slid so far that the Arrow subreddit has re-themed to Daredevil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/arrow

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:37 PM

Having never watched the show this thread is quite the rollercoaster.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #406 on: June 03, 2016, 09:42:01 AM

Yeah, there were a lot of Stormtrooper Shooting Range moments in the last two episodes. Not sure where they go from here - whether the cast members whose characters left are just "off for the summer to get my head together" or whether they'll be back next season. I really hope they stop with the one villain each season arcs and go for smaller, tighter stories, with less pointless fight scenes with hordes of faceless henchmen. Some of the fights were more ridiculous than the parody fights on Venture Bros.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: June 03, 2016, 12:21:26 PM

Amell hasn't been too happy with the last couple seasons either.  He feels that the show lost some focus while they were launching Flash and Legends.  Also the whole DC movie division stripping their Suicide Squad stuff away from them hurt as well.  He's more optimistic for next season as their aren't any new shows that are coming out and they have Geoff Johns in charge now of the DC stuff.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: June 03, 2016, 12:33:43 PM

Supergirl is coming out.  Well not coming out exactly but coming in?

I am the .00000001428%
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: June 03, 2016, 12:37:17 PM

Supergirl is coming out.  Well not coming out exactly but coming in?

Yeah, but at least the show is established already.  Most of the work will be moving production to Vancouver.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: June 03, 2016, 12:46:42 PM

I think they basically need to re-establish Arrow and his friends as a group of underground/in-the-shadows operators who aren't necessarily attached to a single city or place. There needs to be some set of threats that only they can deal with which they don't dare tell the other superpowered people about.

For example, go back to Eiling and Waller etc, and have them join an international conspiracy intended to infiltrate world governments and gain control over metahumans. Arrow and his pals find out about it, realize they can't let on that they know or go public, and so they find a genuinely secret base and go on a covert campaign to fight the conspiracy. Maybe they end up being framed for something, so you have a kind of A-Team thing going on that also limits their contact with the Flash, Supergirl, etc.  Make them a bit more desperate and ragged--they all feel kind of bored right now. You can sprinkle a few good street-level metahumans/costumed villains who might join such a conspiracy into the mix--the Shadow Thief, etc., and maybe even have a hidden big bad on the conspiracy's ruling council. (Ultra-Humanite, Thinker, or heck, Deathstroke).

But whatever they do, they've got to give Oliver in particular some kind of driving character motivation, and not just by fridging someone or blowing up part of Star City. It's got to be something equivalent to his dad's list.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: June 03, 2016, 12:52:32 PM

Well they are doing the Oliver Queen as Mayor story next year.  I assume this will also lead to him coming out publicly as Green Arrow.  I don't see them moving out of Star City or anything though, that would be like Batman leaving Gotham... also in TV terms, expensive.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: June 03, 2016, 01:28:16 PM

Star City is just such a painfully vague place, compared to Gotham. Oliver's strongest physical ties this point are to a not-dead guy's corporate basement that was his company for a while but eh, who cares? He doesn't have anything like Crime Alley, the show has more or less forgotten everything else that had any degree of mythic specificity about the city. It's just Generic City at this point. Ollie doesn't even really have a hang-up about it. His defining traumas happened elsewhere: on a boat, on an island, in Hong Kong, with a bunch of yet-to-be-met Russians.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: July 23, 2016, 07:16:38 PM

Arrow Season 5 teaser.

Looking like a whole new team next year. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:27 PM

Sad first half of a season.  They tried to echo the first season, but it was hollow... and the final "shock" of the midseason finale is something I was expecting.  So much wasted potential.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #415 on: December 29, 2016, 09:08:12 AM

I thought this season so far has been a little better than last season if only because Prometheus works better for me as a villain than Damien Dark. It's still not as good as the second season mainly because the supporting cast is not as good - Wild Dog and Artemis are a bit weaker than Roy and Diggle, though I dig Ragman and Mr. Terrific. Horse-teeth reporter chick girlfriend though has got to go.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #416 on: January 04, 2017, 09:47:16 AM

So, I recently picked this up and have been watching a few episodes a day on Netflix. When does the show go drastically downhill and is it worth powering through? I know there was a big falling out with fans of the show.

I'm currently in season 3 about 2/3 of the way through. It has gotten worse.. Laurel is annoying and shitty, Felicity can't stop crying/pouting/storming off/quitting, and Oliver just kind of sucks? I mean he pretty much gets shit on by anyone with any martial skill. At least Thea and Roy aren't terrible in comparison. Dig as always, seems to the rock, albeit the overly preachy and moralizing one.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #417 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:22 AM

4th season is where it kind of goes to shit. Even though I like the actor playing Damien Dark and the character has some nice quips, overall, his power level is out of whack and the whole storyline goes on too long and is too drawn out.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #418 on: January 11, 2017, 02:02:55 PM

Finished season 3. It was OK. I'm sure Malcolm Merlyn won't be a total dickhole in his new capacity.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The online ratings/reviews for season 4 are brutal. I am afraid.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #419 on: January 11, 2017, 02:17:41 PM

Season 4 is a grind.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Arrow  
Jump to: