Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 NBA  (Read 78194 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: October 01, 2012, 03:01:24 PM

The season is actually approaching pretty quickly now.  ESPN has their new power rankings out for 2013.  As expected, the Heat are on top.  Also, not surprisingly, the Lakers are second and the Thunder are third. 

After that you see a real dearth of good teams.  The Knicks have a ton of talent, but I don't see the Spurs, Celtics, 76ers, Clippers or anyone else even coming close to the big three in the title race.    The only one of them that has a big addition is the 76ers, and I have a feeling that Bynum will be more of a distraction than he is worth.  Even though it looks to be a pretty top heavy year, I expect it to be fun. 

I'm picking the Lakers as the title winners. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:32 AM

Awesome!  Looks like we'll have some anti-flopping rules to start the season.   Heart

Any player who flops during a regular-season game will be subject to a series of penalties, beginning with a warning for first-time violators. After the warning, players will be fined in increments of $5,000 for each additional flop over the course of the season. The fines increase to $30,000 for a fifth offense.

We'll see if it has any teeth. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:59 AM

I'm picking the Heat. Again.

Nothing I've seen suggests there's any competition left in the East.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:16:30 AM

Out of the big three there aren't any contenders at all.  The Eastern Conference is absolutely atrocious though, you're right.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:04:01 PM

It's going to be Heat/Lakers in the finals and being from Orlando that's kind of like aliens vs predators.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:45:12 AM

Jeremy Lin is going to be a huge bust for Houston.  I know preseason games are pretty much bullshit, but the guy has seriously struggled. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:49 AM

How can Lin be on a bust on a team that has no stars? I mean their highest paid guys is Kevin Martin. Outside of Jeremy Lamb, I've never even heard of anyone else on their roster.

Houston's going to be a disaster because they will get dominated down low, will be forced to play on the outside with a bunch of shooting guards, they don't have a coach, and they are relying on a shitload of young talent.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:50 AM

How can Lin be on a bust on a team that has no stars?

By shooting 25% and being a turnover machine?   awesome, for real

Commentary from ESPN insider article by Chris Broussard:

Granted, it's only preseason, but so far Lin has not looked prepared.

In his first three preseason games with the Rockets, he averaged just 5.3 points on woeful 21.1 percent shooting. In 22.7 minutes a game, he handed out 4.7 assists a game over that stretch. Plus, in the preseason opener, Russell Westbrook burned Lin for 19 points in 16 first-half minutes.

Lin did show improvement in his fourth preseason game, dishing out a game-high 12 assists in 31 minutes during the Rockets' victory over Memphis. He still struggled with his shooting, however, going just 3-for-9 in scoring seven points.

As his struggles this preseason might indicate, Houston could end up regretting the contract it gave him. League sources have told me the Rockets' basketball people were never as high on Lin as ownership. I'm told that Rockets owner Leslie Alexander really pushed for the Lin signing, much more than the basketball side of the organization.

Lin is a solid player, but I don't believe he's a future star and certainly not one deserving of all the hoopla he has generated. I hope it works out for Lin, but because he's limited -- and because of the super target on his back that Felton referred to -- I think he could be a disappointment.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:01 AM

Broussard's fishing for eyeballs. Key things to remember about Lin:

1 - Preseason games... I could almost make an AI reference to practice here.
2 - He got burned by Russell Westbrook. Yeah? Get in line. He's going to burn a shitload more people than just Lin this year.
3 - Preseason
4 - Ownership pushing for Lin over basketball people. OF COURSE THEY DID. The basketball people in the organization don't worry a team of nobodies can't draw dick to the stadium.
5 - Fucking preseason.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:34:16 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Broussard.  There was too much good shit going on with the Knicks for Lin to justify not matching for his contract.  I sense bad mojo and think the guy's going to completely fall on his face once he starts getting doubled regularly, people have time to gameplan for him and, most importantly, he's not being coached by Mike D'antonio or in his system. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:35 AM

It's stupid though. Of course he will fail. He's on a completely shit team with a bunch of rookies or 1st year talent.

That's like saying Mark Sanchez will struggle to win games. Duh. He's got nothing around him, and even if he plays well he can't win games on his own.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:05 AM

It's going to be Heat/Lakers in the finals and being from Orlando that's kind of like aliens vs predators.

This.  Also, I work in Lakeland, let's do lunch sometime. 

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:04:32 AM

It's stupid though. Of course he will fail. He's on a completely shit team with a bunch of rookies or 1st year talent.

That's like saying Mark Sanchez will struggle to win games. Duh. He's got nothing around him, and even if he plays well he can't win games on his own.

I'm not talking about his ability to "win games".  I'm talking about the fact that he'll shoot 25%, be a turnover machine and probably end up on the bench by the end of the year.  There are plenty of very good players on shitty teams that still manage to get things done in the NBA (the NFL is not  good comparison, IMO).  Kevin Love is a good example. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:31:13 AM

I guess we'll see. I don't expect him to be a disaster. All he has to do is be entertaining and put asses in the seats. Houston has no shot at winning anything.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:05 AM

Royce White is shaping up to be a very predictable dumpster fire
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:11 AM

Royce White is shaping up to be a very predictable dumpster fire

That's a little harsh to term someone who has a diagnosed mental illness.  Sounds like he's being responsible and trying to make it work.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 09:49:06 AM

I mean that the pick is shaping up to be a dumpster fire.  Yeah, the guy seems to be doing the right things, but it isn't going to work out for him.  He'd be better off going back to school and studying hard to find a different career. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:35 PM

I mean that the pick is shaping up to be a dumpster fire.  Yeah, the guy seems to be doing the right things, but it isn't going to work out for him.  He'd be better off going back to school and studying hard to find a different career. 

He can do that anytime.  Why not make bank while he can?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 06:06:50 PM

Well of course he should.  He's got a 3 year guaranteed contract because somebody in Houston was fucking stupid enough to draft him.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm talking about for the rest of his life.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 07:38:55 PM

Everyone drafted outside the high lottery is either likely kind of crap or has some sort of issue.

The Rockets general philosophy during their rebuilding has been about bringing in guys with high upside and seeing if they can develop. If White's illness can be worked around well enough, that's a lot of value for where the pick was.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 08:05:16 PM

So yeah...

The Rockets sent Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources told Y! Sports. Along with Harden, the Thunder will send Cole Aldridge, Lazar Hayward and Daequan Cook to the Rockets.

As part of the deal, the Thunder will receive "significant" future draft picks from Houston, a source told Y! Sports.

(Woj, also Stein)

This is a bit different from the Rockets going after Howard as Harden is an RFA so they definitely have him for his next contract. Presti gives no fucks, and Morey picked up his All-Star.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 08:10:26 PM

WTF? Doesn't this make OKC worse? What's the incentive to do the trade now?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 08:23:37 PM

Yeah, that's leaving most people I'm reading scratching their head. As a total guess, Houston's offer may have become significantly worse after the extension deadline that comes up this week (reports are they'll give Harden a max deal ASAP) and/or these negotiations got super ugly.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 08:25:19 PM

Yeah, but it saves them the trouble of trying to negotiate with Harden and potentially have a morale sapping feud in the middle of the season.  Plus Jeremy Lamb is quite a prospect.  

Edit:  This tells me it wasn't really about the money.

The Thunder offered Harden $55.5 million over four years -- $4.5 million less than the max deal Harden coveted and will get from the Rockets, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:33:13 PM by ghost »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:51 AM

It makes sense, OKC drafted too well, you simply can't afford that many stars and solid rotation players/borderline stars.  Jeremy Lamb has the potential to be a great player in this league and they got two first rounds picks for next year, one from Houston and one from Toronto which is guaranteed to be a lotto pick (between 4 and 11 or it goes to the next year until it falls in the lotto, if i am not mistaken).

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 12:19:06 PM

Let's get ready to rumble!  awesome, for real

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 01:18:03 PM

Hmmm.  What to watch.............what to watch?  Heat-celtics or Wizards-Cavs?   why so serious?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 06:52:31 AM

I may have to rethink my selection of the Lakers to win it all. 

And what a fucking awesome debut for James Harden in Houston.  They could be decent this year after all.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 06:53:37 AM

Lakers have to gel. That's why the regular season doesn't matter. They could go 0-10 and still make the playoffs.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 07:02:36 AM

Well, Nash left last night's game with a leg injury.   Ohhhhh, I see.

And D Howard still can't hit free throws. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 07:35:07 AM

Harden is making Sam Presti look like a fool.  Also Orlando 1-0, Lakers 0-3  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 06:24:41 PM

Hardin put up a shitton of points, but he was playing a brand new undersized Hawks lineup (who apparently forgot that rebounding was important).

Still, the Hawks kept it interesting.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 09:15:48 PM

I don't expect Hardin to do that every night, but it's still an impressive first game.  It makes up for Jeremy Lin's shittiness. 
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 11:55:16 AM

Harden is making Sam Presti look like a fool.  Also Orlando 1-0, Lakers 0-3  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

Love Letters

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:36 AM

Atlanta loses to Houston at home, doesn't take Josh Smith to OKC on the road, and proceeds to pants the Thunder.

What?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 NBA  
Jump to: