Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Elementary/Sherlock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elementary/Sherlock  (Read 36768 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 05, 2016, 09:03:26 AM

That New Years Day episode?  swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 05, 2016, 09:14:33 AM

That New Years Day episode?  swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop
A bunch of people called the surprising twist, but I still enjoyed seeing it unfold.  I just wish it wasn't taking so long to get new installments out -  I forget so much of what took place and it takes me too long to recall whether someone we see is someone that has previously appeared or not.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 05, 2016, 09:17:21 AM

It's going to take even longer now that Cumberbatch is a big star doing Marvel films.

I am the .00000001428%
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:44 PM

They are planning on filming the fourth series this spring/summer but it won't air until 2017 according to the last reports I read.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 06, 2016, 06:18:51 AM

A bunch of people called the surprising twist, but I still enjoyed seeing it unfold.  I just wish it wasn't taking so long to get new installments out -  I forget so much of what took place and it takes me too long to recall whether someone we see is someone that has previously appeared or not.

It didn't make any sense and wasn't even very good? I guess this is what people have been bitching about with Dr. Who for years. Really the only reason to watch Sherlock is Cumberbatch and Freeman acting together.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: January 06, 2016, 06:42:31 AM

I thought it was entertaining. It was obviously more of a vehicle for them to have fun than to be "serious drama."

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 06, 2016, 01:09:14 PM

I enjoyed it in this just because, yeah, it's a Christmas special and they were having fun without really engaging the metaplot. If this is the only serious Moffating I'm not too bothered (Dr. Who basically has this repeatedly, every season) although having a single hour special over 2-3 years and finishing on the same cliffhanger makes me a bit  Mob

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: January 10, 2016, 03:49:01 PM

That was dreadful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 10, 2016, 04:47:53 PM

That was dreadful.

Worse, it was absolutely pointless.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 11, 2016, 06:47:02 AM

Yes.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 11, 2016, 07:10:15 AM

It was alright. I went in after hearing you guys all hate it (SURPRISE SURPRISE) so my expectations were pretty low.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 11, 2016, 09:47:05 AM

F13.NET
USELESSLY CYNICAL
COMMENTARY

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 11, 2016, 09:56:55 AM

The episode was objectively bad because there was no episode, it was an extended dream sequence with no stakes whatsoever. The whole episode was simply an excuse to use a character they lament killing off.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:30 PM

It was exactly what was intended: A chance to play in the original sandbox with their 'modern' cast.  It was meant as a fun bonus, not a pivotal component of the ongoing story.  It was fun fluff.

I'd much rather have seen a new episode that continued the story meaningfully, but it is what it is, and for what it is, it is fine.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 11, 2016, 02:11:18 PM

Once I heard it was set in the 1800s I knew it wasn't going to advance the main story in a meaningful way. I wish they had just done "Sherlock in the 1800s" instead of  but I still enjoyed the experience.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: January 12, 2016, 01:39:19 AM

It was exactly what was intended: A chance to play in the original sandbox with their 'modern' cast.  It was meant as a fun bonus, not a pivotal component of the ongoing story.  It was fun fluff.

I'd much rather have seen a new episode that continued the story meaningfully, but it is what it is, and for what it is, it is fine.

The problem with your analysis is that it wasn't fun.  Wife fell asleep and I was supremely irritated once it became clear what he was doing and then once there was actually no payoff to the main 'crime.'

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: January 12, 2016, 03:24:16 AM

I kind of liked it because silly little jokes and references to moustache growing amuse me. However it would have been infinitely better if they'd made it an actual 1800s case for fun that got solved rather than a reminder that there's a main series with a plot that this is totally connected to without actually accomplishing anything. Like I said if it's a one off I won't lose any sleep but if Moffat starts to feel Sherlock is ripe for injecting a hefty dose more Moffatry into I'll be pissed.

In 2017 if I remember any of this by then any way.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: January 12, 2016, 07:42:36 AM

I'm looking at it as a spectacle, not a story. It was fun to see them in 'original' setting like it is fun to watch some of the ridiculous explosions In a Michael Bay film. I could have obtained the same enjoyment if it was only 30 minutes, but it didn't drag on too too long. Fine. I don't regret watching it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:22:29 AM by jgsugden »

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: January 17, 2016, 03:46:24 PM

I absolutely loved that episode, every second, every scene, every bit, until the very end when the story rendered itself completely pointless. Christ, and I actually like what Moffat does half the time.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: January 18, 2016, 11:00:09 PM

I absolutely loved that episode, every second, every scene, every bit, until the very end when the story rendered itself completely pointless. Christ, and I actually like what Moffat does half the time.

I can't quote this hard enough.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 12, 2017, 06:57:22 AM

Season 4 has started. Definitely better than that shitty special one-off episode.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: January 16, 2017, 05:51:57 AM

Oh God, season 4 is pretty full on Moffatry. He's really pulling into his Dr. Who 'fairytale' bollocks. It sort of, kind of holds together in the sense that it's all, probably, physically possible but god damn does it simply not make sense.

The first 2 episodes are decent (if you ignore Mrs. Hudson tearing through a London suburb in her Aston Martin with police in hot pursuit) but the third is just swamp poop

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:42 AM

It didn't really feel like Sherlock Holmes to me. I've always thought Sherlock was about solving an interesting case they happen on based on evidence and reasoning rather than having the main characters' personal lives be the focus and continually ramping up the stakes and action thru the season (I'd probably go as far as saying this season was jumping the shark trying to top Moriarty from the previous season).
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #128 on: January 16, 2017, 10:27:46 AM

I barely got through the first episode with MrsWatson.  Really bad cast actress with just rofl writing. Stopped watching after that.  Show is shit.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: January 16, 2017, 12:16:09 PM

This was the series finale.  So ... Yaaa?

Everyone who writes modern procedurals needs to keep their brains firmly wrapped around the idea of avoiding villain escalation.  When you lead with an antagonist who is every bit as powerful/clever as the protagonist, you have to keep upping the ante.  So now we have the godlike villain whose powers are Moffat at his self-indulgent worst.

I sort of liked the 2nd episode of the 4th season because we had a villain who was powerful outside "the game", but everyone knew Sherlock would outwit him in the end; the focus of the story was Sherlock and Watson rebuilding.  The episode was dragged down by by the having to set up the finale's villain, but still a good watch.  Like NowhereMan said, this was just loony.

The case du jour is just an excuse for us to watch the characters ping off each other.  All the time spent building your villain's omnipotence is just a waste.  A hard to explain, internally inconsistent waste.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: January 22, 2017, 07:24:36 AM

Watching finale now, it's fucking awful.  The writers never seemed to get the point that Sherlock is at its best when they are being funny and Sherlock and Watson are interacting.  Seriously fucking boring , now when they do the whole tortured bit , fuuuuuuuck off.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Elementary/Sherlock  
Jump to: