Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Elementary/Sherlock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elementary/Sherlock  (Read 36759 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:18 AM

Yeah, him.  He had another hat with strings under it so you could make a cute bow, too.  It was floppier.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 03:53:44 AM

Sherlock is great.

I think Elementary is pretty good apart from the first two episodes that had really bad/obvious plot lines.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:21 PM

Half the fun of Sherlock is seeing the ways in which they call back to the original stories.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 08:28:52 PM

There anyone keeping track of those references? I would love to see a list/site. I never got much into the original stories, so I'm probably missing a lot of subtle references.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 10:49:13 PM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:00 PM

Ah thanks!
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 01:03:06 PM

I've yet to watch Sherlock but can say that Elementary is starting to get better. Lucy Liu is starting to become slightly more than the wallflower she has been and they're finally developing a relationship/friendship between the two of them that actually feels like one. I think they made a poor choice with Aidan Quinn as the Captain, though, only because I think he's too good for the small part he's playing.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:35 PM

I agree. At least he's not the bumbling detective they sometimes put in that role. But they'd have been better with a no name.

And I agree too that the show is getting better. Which is interesting. I'm still eagerly awaiting the next set of Sherlocks though smiley
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 09:33:58 AM

So far I have been enjoying it. there has been a few episodes that were a bit off but overall its getting better. For a first season all in all its pretty good. I think it will stay in my DVR schedule for awhile at least.

edit. I just watched the last episode tonight and there was a scene where Holmes was in a Limo and they were showing the traffic around them. Holmes is sitting with his back to the front windshield and it looks like they are going in reverse. Then they flip the camera around and the direction changed. Whoever did the CGI made a small "oops". I am hoping this is a one off odd stuff like that really distracts from a show.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:01:28 PM by Hammond »
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 11:18:03 AM

I really like the updating done in the BBC Sherlock.

But the US Network Elementary is just a quirky detective consultant show a'la Castle, Mentalist, Monk, etc. 

I might like it better if it was called Hemlock rather than Sherlock, but then, what's the point of yet another detective show with a broken detective?  Calling it Sherlock just causes cognitive dissonance from what it decidedly is not, an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:58 PM

Spectacular season ender. Even if I saw the twist coming.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:15 PM

Yeah, I also enjoyed this.  I'm actually surprised that that it wasn't a cliffhanger, but I guess they didn't bank on getting another season.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 12:27:05 PM

Maybe smiley But given they're the arch enemy with vast resources, I doubt some local police force will keep them locked up for long.

I did really enjoy it. But I still agree with March in a way. As much as I enjoyed the first season, it still feels like they label-slapped "Sherlock Holmes" onto yet another antisocial dysfunctional narcissitic private detective, because when iterations on that theme ran out, they needed to tap into brand awareness.

But this might just be because the BBC show does such a better job at modernizing the Sherlock Holmes (and extended cast) of lore.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 04:35:42 PM

Season 2 began this week for Elementary. Wasn't bad, but kinda slow and largely unresolved. It seemed to reintroduce the core cast again rather than continue anything.

Woulda been less disappointing except it happened the same week BBC announced Sherlock isn't coming back until 2014 (and apparently Freeman's been cast for a TV adaption of Fargo?!)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 11:46:51 PM

The problem with the first season finale (of Elementary) was that the reference was so strong as to be obvious. My GF liked it, but as soon as the name Irene Adler popped up it was episode over for me.

Haven't watched Sherlock. Will have to take a look at that.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 03:03:58 PM

Haven't watched Sherlock. Will have to take a look at that.

Yea definitely worth checking out.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 23, 2013, 04:27:32 PM

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:44 AM

So, Um, did you chaps get this yet ?

We did.

It was.... as expected.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 04:34:57 AM

I was kind of disappointed with the first Sherlock of season 3 for some reason. It just wasn't anything great storywise in my opinion. The first Elementary episode of the year on the other hand was pretty good (but I don't expect as much from it storywise as I do from Sherlock)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 06:40:50 AM

I was kind of disappointed with the first Sherlock of season 3 for some reason.

Moffat ? why so serious?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:18 AM

We did.

It was.... as expected.

We get it on Jan 19th.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 01:25:19 PM

We did.

It was.... as expected.

Christ. Has the Moffatry metastasized?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 02:07:04 PM

It had enough Gattistry to counter most of the effects.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 06:39:12 PM

You guys are using English characters, but I can't figure out what you mean smiley

Downtown Abbey tomorrow, Sherlock in two weeks, it's a good month for US TV viewers.

Oh and Elementary seems to be hitting an interesting point. They're focusing a lot more on character development than they did in season 1. It's adding interesting dimensions, particularly for Watson and Bell.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:41:14 PM by Darniaq »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 08:44:01 PM

For those in the US without cable TV, are there official streaming options available for the new episodes?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:14 PM

For those in the US without cable TV, are there official streaming options available for the new episodes?
Sherlock was on HuluPlus, not sure about Elementary.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 04, 2014, 08:51:10 PM

We're watching Sherlock on Netflix this week, to get caught up.

Edit: nvrmnd, just saw the ask was for *new* episodes

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:21 PM

For Sherlock: PBS.org (or the various mobile/Roku apps) not long after they air for streaming. If you are able to get PBS on your tv through non-cable means you can also watch it that way when it does air :P

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:59:56 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 04, 2014, 08:57:14 PM

Sherlock was on HuluPlus, not sure about Elementary.

--Dave

I've used the CBS app to watch Elementary. They usually have only the last 3 episodes. That'll change since they'll soon require you connect the CBS app to an active cable subscriber account (no surprise there).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 05, 2014, 02:50:18 PM

As you all know, I'm an honest bloke and credit where it's due.

Episode Two of the latest series was fucking fantastic.

So there's that.

Edited to Add :  It's the Blink of Sherlock, to be honest.  It was that good.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:55:25 PM by Ironwood »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #65 on: January 06, 2014, 08:44:35 AM

Oh shit, then. I look forward.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:05 AM

I'd just skip the whole first episode Hooray, He's Alive bollocks and launch straight into Sign of Three.  Even a day later I still have to grit my teeth and admit that it was damn clever.

(Though not surprising.  Don't go into it thinking you won't figure some of it out before the characters do.  Bear in mind that it's a rewrite of shit you've read countless times...)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:46 AM

We don't have enough episodes to be skipping shit! hell you know you are going to watch them all at least ten times in the two years it takes them to make another season.

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 06, 2014, 10:23:18 AM

I'd just skip the whole first episode Hooray, He's Alive bollocks and launch straight into Sign of Three.  Even a day later I still have to grit my teeth and admit that it was damn clever.

(Though not surprising.  Don't go into it thinking you won't figure some of it out before the characters do.  Bear in mind that it's a rewrite of shit you've read countless times...)

Sign of Three turned out to be enjoyable though this manic and goofy Sherlock isn't really my favorite type of Sherlock Holmes by far (especially the bit before the opening credits reminded me more of Dr. Who á la Matt Smith which is fine... just not in Sherlock Holmes so much)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 10:52:19 PM

Sign of Three was a bit of a relief, the first episode was just utterly lacking in plot so it was good to see that it's not going to turn into some character driven show that puts the mystery solving on auto-pilot. That said it's still a little overly character focused to my eye, something I hope will fade back into balance as they get over the whole 'things are happening to the characters, look they're 3 dimensional and everything!'. I'm still liking Mycroft whenever he appears, if Sherlock becomes a bit less sociopathic I hope they keep him on hand for assholish put downs.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Elementary/Sherlock  
Jump to: