Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Elementary/Sherlock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elementary/Sherlock  (Read 36774 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: September 28, 2012, 12:08:27 PM

Anyone else give this a shot?

Bring Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes to the present, sprinkle in the site gags from Pshyce, and fill it out with the clueless police force from Monk.

I think this one will live or die by whether one can stomach a really jerky character and whether the world needs yet another Monk/Mentalist/Psyche narcissistic crime solver who steals the limelight while condescending our police forces.

I hear there was a version of this with 3 episodes on Masterpiece which were great. But I don't get that channel. Nor cable.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:18:11 PM by Darniaq »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:25:30 PM

It was...okay. I'm still wondering why Lucy Liu's character, who is Chinese, has the last name of Watson, though.

Edit: to clarify I know why she has the last name of Watson but they don't explain how an apparently unmarried Chinese person with Chinese parents has that last name
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:30:17 PM by Trippy »
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:47:46 PM

挖忖 ?

(wa-tsun)   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:56 PM

I caught it just because it was on after Person of Interest.  I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would so I'll give it a shot.  Not like there's anything else on Thursdays at 10pm. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:41:53 PM

I watched it. I liked it. I like that Holmes is not completely in control and smarter-than-thou the whole time. He loses his temper with a woman who is lyig to him and again when he is confronting a suspect that he thinks is maybe going to get away with it. I really liked that he gathered evidence by taking pictures with his smartphone and, like with the BBC Sherlock, he admits to using Google because "not everything can be deduced."

The show was light on action. It felt like watching an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:33 PM

Not watching the new bbc version of sherlock is one of the greater crimes of the decade.  Get on it!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:24:05 PM

I hear there was a version of this with 3 episodes on Masterpiece which were great. But I don't get that channel. Nor cable.

It's called "Sherlock" and there are 2 seasons at this point. And it is way better than "Elementary". And the 2 main guys are in "The Hobbit" as well. Just FYI on that last part...

It is on Netflix if you have that.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:03:55 AM

Oh excellent, I'll check it out on Netflix. Thanks!

"not everything can be deduced."
Good point there, and on some of his other actions. I forgot some of those. I think RBJ pulled it off a bit better, but that they're at least trying here is worth a second episode from me.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:23 PM

It was...okay. I'm still wondering why Lucy Liu's character, who is Chinese, has the last name of Watson, though.

Edit: to clarify I know why she has the last name of Watson but they don't explain how an apparently unmarried Chinese person with Chinese parents has that last name

Look at the pic of her parents again, her dad is white.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:25:58 AM

I have to watch everything on the computer over here and I made a point to watch this and it was okay.  I like Sick Boy!  Still, there's no comparison to the Sherlock series with Benedict Cumberbatch, in spite of his very silly names.  That's been awesome so far.  He's been good in everything I've seen him in but this is his best so far.  Season 3 is supposed to start in January, I think, and I really truly absolutely recommend it to everyone.  And not just because he looks really awesome with dark tousled hair!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:31 PM

We enjoyed the second episode more than the first. They kinda dialed back his asshole-ishness a bit, and his antics seemed to have more of a reason than some parts of the first episode where he seemed to just be a jerk for the sake of it.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:15 PM

I haven't seen the second episode yet but it seemed to me watching the first one that he was trying to channel Gregory House.

Over and out.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:02:39 PM

I haven't seen the second episode yet but it seemed to me watching the first one that he was trying to channel Gregory House.

Which is a bad sign.

House was tolerable for the first two seasons (at most) and it descended it complete and utter TV-land trope filled wankery.
You know of course that House and Wilson was supposed to channel Holmes and Watson...
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:13:27 AM

Yea that's vibe I got as well. It works ok for me here because I didn't watch much of House. Good show but boring subject for me.

I'm curious if they've already ordered a full season or if they'll wait for the performance of the 3rd and 4th episodes. I imagine they did the typical six episode thing, but with enough production team between 1 and 2 to make some changes (editing or reshoots) to soften his character up a bit and strengthen hers.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:21:20 PM

Just watched the first episode of Sherlock. Man you were right, that is a better version. Will watch both weekly just for that Pepsi Challenge feel.

One thing I noticed in both shows:

Modern real world settings with all the usual contemporary accruetrements and assumed history, and yet nobody even winks at the name "Sherlock Holmes"? How many people like that would be walking around that wouldn't constantly get at least some question about "so, are you a detective with a name like that?". Which makes me wonder even more, being a detective and all.

In shows like this I don't even think it'd break the fourth wall.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 02:19:11 AM

ACK!

I think you missed the point.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 02:41:43 AM

In shows based on books I think you're allowed to assume the book doesn't exist in that world.

Otherwise Miss Marple can simply look up who did the murder in the book. Or the Russians would know to shoot James Bond in the face as soon as they meet him. Sauron could have razed the shire years ago.

Literary world governments would be able to start prosecuting precrime.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:23 AM

Nah, I gat that (though I appreciate the extended explanation of what I missed smiley ). Modernization of a brand and all that.

The thing is, Flemings and Christie were writing about contemporary characters in a contemporary time frame about contemporary things. Generally the history is very short. Bond is always the same James Bond, just played by different characters for different eras of the franchise, but always talking to the same audience: a person of today about a thing of today. And each movie is a vignette, only referencing prior ones if there's a narrative link or a recurring villain (who by the second occurence does know to shoot Bond in the face).

LoTR stuff is just telling the same story in the same time frame as occured in the books. The Simarillion is just a longer history of that universe. But it happens in a sequence. Melkor would have needed a soothsayer to predict that in a few aeons some race of halflings would undo the work of his contemporary middleman.

If Elementary/Sherlock were set during the late 1800s like the RDJ movies, then I wouldn't have even noticed it. But being set in the 21st century but with all the trappings of the 1800s character, the show world isn't ignoring just a few dozen books. They've written out a whole century's worth of well known pop culture references.

Both shows could just as easily treated it as a quirky genious taking on an affectation, which then compelled others to do the same, and probably not suffer for it.

Not really a big deal (though apparently worth posting about over coffee #1  wink)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 05:16:47 PM

Finished episode 6.

When they ran this on air, was it six two hour episodes? Or is that just how they packaged it for Netflix?

Watched episode 6 the same night I watched Dark Knight Rises.

I needed some Phineas & Ferb to detox after smiley
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:15 PM

A wild Moriarty Appears.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:25:48 AM

Finished episode 6.

When they ran this on air, was it six two hour episodes? Or is that just how they packaged it for Netflix?

Watched episode 6 the same night I watched Dark Knight Rises.

I needed some Phineas & Ferb to detox after smiley

They've made six episodes in total (three a season over two seasons) but they weren't two hours long, unless Netflix adds adverts or something. I think they were 90 minutes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:36 PM

I think I might have all my Sherlock shoes confused.  There's the Brit one and the one with Sickboy which isn't the Brit one.  Right?   ACK!

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 02:42:52 PM

Yeah this thread is confuzzling.  Elementary is the one with Zero Cool.

Nice that they just started the Moriarty storyline last episode too.  Really like this show.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 04:16:16 PM

I think I might have all my Sherlock shoes confused.  There's the Brit one and the one with Sickboy which isn't the Brit one.  Right?   ACK!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:27 PM

Yeah, right.  And the one that isn't the Brit one has Lucy Liu and the Brit one has the guy from The Office.  The Brit one.  Not the one that's not Brit and has Catherine Tate.  I need a nap.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 05:58:36 PM

Sherlock - BBC - Cumberbatch and Arthur Dent

Elementary - CBS - Sickboy and O-Ren Ishii.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 11:10:51 PM

I really wish we could have two threads for them; this one's very confusing.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:42 AM

I know!   ACK!

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:50 AM

Well, back in the day there was only Elementary. But then someone mentioned Sherlock. But there didn't seem to be enough people into either show so I edited the subject. And then the thread went dormant and I was thinking I was the only one watching smiley

I didn't like the new Moriarity at first. Then it turned out to not be him (maybe?), which I did like. The show had a nice twist in that.

But compared to the British one, this is more New York than than it is Sherlock Holmes. Standard quirky detective formula.

It's kinda like how I feel about NCIS: LA. That's an LA cop drama thing with cool guys doing cool things in environments that should come off as gritty but are just too bright and shiny. It just happens to draft off the NCIS branding and the timeslot.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 03:33:57 PM

I don't watch NCIS since that goofy guy with the silly hat left.  Actually, that might be one of the CSIs.  I forget.  I know it's not Law and Order: Something or other.  I used to watch those.  I love the Brit Sherlock show and I like the non Brit one very much, too.  I'm down with Sickboy being typecast as a junkie.  I'm sure I'm not up to date on anything but Dexter at the moment. 

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 09:29:48 PM

I don't watch NCIS since that goofy guy with the silly hat left. 

Isn't that Dexter as well ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:37 PM

I think she means Grissom from CSI. 
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 05:05:06 AM

That character wears a hat ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:43 AM

That's the one, I think.  I thought he wore a hat, too.  I don't know. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 12:47:49 PM

That character wears a hat ?

He didn't wear hats all the time but this one popped up in a few episodes.  This is what I thought Signe may have been referring to.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Elementary/Sherlock  
Jump to: