Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Gotta Catch Em All! (Battle Pets!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gotta Catch Em All! (Battle Pets!)  (Read 36834 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

on: September 27, 2012, 11:00:19 AM

I figure we could use a separate thread for the pet battle stuff.

It's pretty unintuitive figuring out what pets are rare, uncommon, etc. if you had them before the system went in. My pet Netherray Fry isn't on the list for example, but if you put him in a cage he comes up blue quality; I only noticed this because I was searching on the AH for rare pets and saw someone selling one.

I'm still not sure if it's worth trying to level up one of every type, or just grinding a team of 3 to 25 first. Probably the latter, just so I can start catching the high level pets I see running around in MoP.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:01 AM

Yeah, I just assumed only purchased and hard-achievement pets to be Rare quality.  Basically if you can box it up it's probably not a rare, regardless of what color the box is.   I keep referring back to the list and marking the rares I have with the favorites star.

Don't know what that is?  You should, it makes hunting for pets SOOO much simpler.  Right click -> add to favorites.  There's then a filter at the top of the screen to 'show only favorites.'  Voila, there's my combat team.

My plan is to ignore the whole thing until I'm 90.  Leveling-up will involve a lot of wandering around in old zones, which I'm not willing to do until I'm at cap.  I'll level a team of 5-6 pets.  If you focus on only 3 you can find you're in battles where you have nothing strong against the trainer's elite pets.

Pet Battle Quick Tips:

* Unless it's a unique skin or you're sure it's a rare and you want it now for your collection, skip capping a lot of animals when you start.  Don't feel bad about not capturing an animal at the lower levels.  Check the pet info for other places you can capture them.  This will save you from the frustration of leveling an animal up from the start only to find the same thing in your teens or twenties without the hassle of having to level it.   So far as I've seen there's no strength bonuses applied to pets leveled-up via combat vs. being found.

* Moths.  Unless they were nerfed those fuckers are nasty. You wouldn't think it because of the weak attack, but since it's a series of 3-5 smaller attacks it adds-up quickly.  Plus misses hurt less since you're only missing for partial damage not the whole chunk.

* Learn the health ranges for the creatures in your area.  This will let you spot uncommons and rares for capture.

* Level up at least one mechanical unit.  They all get a self-rez with a 25%(I think) heal. This saved me a total loss in a number of situations where the enemy pet killed me with a lucky crit when it was down to its last hit of HP.

* Immediately toss out the idea of keeping  anything below uncommon or rare quality unless you want the skin.  Normal and Poor quality pets are worthless, unfortunately, even in the PVE battles unless they outlevel whatever they're fighting.  (Part of the reason I hate the quality system for pets.)

* Pay attention to DOTs.  They remain after the pet applies it, even if removed from the field, so long as the pet is conscious.  You can use this to your advantage with pets weaker against an enemy type.  i.e. I used a snake to venom-dot a number of flying mobs and then swapped to Mini-Diablo to finish them off while poison also ticked-off.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:30:16 AM

Hmm, a blue colored box doesn't mean a pet is rare quality?  swamp poop Hope they eventually add in quality levels for the pets we've got. Is the 8m CD skill our only means of pet healing/rezzing?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:55:44 AM

Yeah, evidently the box color doesn't mean anything.  Yes, it's goofy.

You can also heal pets at any of the stable masters.  Just right click to talk to them and it only costs a few silver.  There's no cool down on this method, just the pain in the ass of trekking back to town.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:19:41 PM

Yeah, evidently the box color doesn't mean anything.  Yes, it's goofy.

You can also heal pets at any of the stable masters.  Just right click to talk to them and it only costs a few silver.  There's no cool down on this method, just the pain in the ass of trekking back to town.

I can already hear the clinking together of gold coins as the mount vendor sells another mount with a pet healer attached.

awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:45 PM

The pets are account shared, so just station alts in various zones along the way for easy leveling of that new pet you *need* right now. 

Favorite tag your Blue Pets.  Use the list of legacy Blue pets and then any new pet you capture will have the Blue border in the journal as expected.  Now you can filter by Favorites and see if you've already got a rare of the type you are battling.

Bind a hotkey to the pet journal - so you can bring it up during a pet battle  and decide which enemy pet to capture.

Release or Box lower quality duplicates; you can only capture up to 3 of a type (though you may have 10 Sinister Squashlings, etc. grandfathered in).

Fighting up-level is really hard unless you are the 'perfect' opponent for your enemy.

Undead type will come back after death for 1 turn, this might be enough to get off another capture attempt if your pet is faster than the enemy. 

Mechanical rez is much better, and the Clockwork Gnome's big heal will continue counting through that rez (so you end up returning basically to full health if you time it well). 

Eventually you'll be able to identify the Rares for capture, until then reference similar pets from your own journal to spot those above grade.

Eventually you can have a Rare of any type you can still capture, so you can build your set around any models you desire.  Starting with Blues, however, really makes the rest a lot easier.

Some starter zones are unkind to some low level pets, different capital cities have different starter types.  Don't be afraid to jump across faction for more favorable starting conditions as it will save you time in the long run (easy wins vs. brutal wins or losses). 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 02:10:55 PM

A biggie I missed !

You can only capture ONE pet per battle session.  Decide which one you want when they pop-in. If you lose out on a rare because the skin you want is 2nd and poor quality; then, well, you're just SOL.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:01:56 PM

Why do you guys keep calling them skins or models? That seems to imply that type is the only thing that matters, but this is not the case since different pets within a type have different abilities.

When trying to capture a pet, are it's stats the only way to tell if it's rare or does it have a different colored border or something?

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:31:18 PM

Why do you guys keep calling them skins or models? That seems to imply that type is the only thing that matters, but this is not the case since different pets within a type have different abilities.

When trying to capture a pet, are it's stats the only way to tell if it's rare or does it have a different colored border or something?

It will be the health total that gives away its rarity (and speed and attack, but health is first and easiest to see because the number is larger and it will stand out from random variation).  There is no border during the fight.

Pets of the same name (model) can have different skins:  I have 3 small frogs right now and one is all green, one has a blue belly, and one is red and blue.

They are all at level 2 for a clean compare, 2 are Rare and one is Poor quality: 
The Poor quality frog at level 2 has 190 health, 16 attack and 17 speed.
The Rare frog that levelled once (to level 2) has 217 health, 21 attack and 22 speed.
The Rare frog that captured at level 2 has 216 health, 21 attack and 23 speed.

Common and Uncommon quality Small Frogs will have stats that fall in the line between the extremes of Poor and Rare, as the levels compound these will dominate the battle (esp. speed for first action).  No two pets of the same rarity will necessarily have the same health, speed and attack values, but differences across rarities are larger than differences within rarities.

All Small Frogs have the same 6 abilities.  Not all Aquatic pets have the same 6 abilities, but it does look like all frogs have the same set.  Model in my use refers to the named pet, skin would refer to the color that happens to be associated with that named pet.  Model and Skin are independant, meaning that Small Frog can wear several skins and the rarity is seperate (you can have a poor green small frog or a rare green small frog)  Aquatic would be the type in that schema, and is the only one that has variation in skills.
dalien
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:10:41 PM

Here's a mod that colors pets by their rarity during battle (so, before you trap them).

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21362-PetBattleQualityGlowMoP.html

Can't really play for a few hours but I logged in for a quick battle and it appears to be working as advertised.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:27:41 PM

Here's a mod that colors pets by their rarity during battle (so, before you trap them).

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21362-PetBattleQualityGlowMoP.html

Can't really play for a few hours but I logged in for a quick battle and it appears to be working as advertised.
Love Letters
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:31:12 AM by Rendakor »

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:19:10 PM

There's just something wrong with the whole pet battle system when my Mini-Diablos get raped by just about any animal of equal level. I don't expect an Iwin button, but winning a few fights against Stormwind Rats or Rabbits would be nice.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:11:39 PM

There's just something wrong with the whole pet battle system when my Mini-Diablos get raped by just about any animal of equal level. I don't expect an Iwin button, but winning a few fights against Stormwind Rats or Rabbits would be nice.
What type of pet is Mini Diablo?  It may be one that is weak against Beasts / Critters, meaning it takes 50% more damage from their attacks. 

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:52:54 PM

Secret commentary by the WoW team on the state of the Diablo team!   awesome, for real

Burn is weak against Critters, and Call Darkness is weak against Beasts.  If those are your first two abilities you'll be hosed against most of the lower level enemies for pet battles.  I, obviously, don't have one to check.  Mini Diablo is a Magic type; Magic is good against Flying and weak to Mechanicals.  You'll want to go after frogs/crabs and moths/birds.  That says level him up in Darnassus to get over the hump and into some ability flexibility.  Though with his abilities, if you can't chain Burn you've got nothing.

I'm having fun with a Restless Shadeling now, found underground near Karazhan, and really good at killing dragonkin. 
dalien
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:05 AM

Mini Diablo is not "rare" unforunately, at least according to this list:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6080522555

You're best off making sure your whole team is "rare" before leveling too much, you will need them if you plan on beating the tamer dudes in Northrend/Cata/MoP.  I got my team to 24 tonight (rare small frog, Phoenix Hatchling, Clockwork Gnome) and it's really a tossup against the Northrend pet guys (they are all 25 rares).  I'm assuming the Cata/MoP guys won't be any easier, will see tomorrow.

Also, if you want to level your team fast you should alternate PvE and PvP battles.  After using your pet heal, queue for a PvP battle while you wait for it to refresh.  They give a ton of exp if you win and even if you lose your pets return to the same alive state they were before the battle.  And they're fun!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 07:41:05 AM

No, Mini *IS* a rare, he's just fragile. (Check the list again, he's on it.)  He's a total glass cannon early on.  I had to baby him until level 6 or 7, when you begin to see his power increasing.  He's got fantastic damage just shitty hitpoints.  I got him to level 6 again today and, once more, I'm seeing it.  Fucker will nuke a bitch cold but needs some sort of HP buff to live.   

For concrete numbers, I'll give you stats from Mini D at 6 vs. an "uncommon" skunk.
Mini-D has - 338hpp, 86 attack, 66 speed.
Uncommon skunk has - 420HP, 58 attack ,64 speed.

By level 7 or 8 in beta I was at 112 attack or so, but uncommons and rares two levels lower had more HPs.  Like I said, total glass cannon.

Plus, despite pets being "rare" there are some that are just superior.  Rats, Roaches, Moths and Snakes being some of the best battle pets there are, at least at the lower end (I stopped at level 13 in beta.)  In PVP battles those were the only animals I saw.   Moths in particular.  I'm not kidding here, go tame a moth, then hunt for a rare. It's well worth it.

dalien
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:04 AM

No, Mini *IS* a rare, he's just fragile. (Check the list again, he's on it.)

My bad, I must have typed his name wrong or something when I Ctrl-F'd the list.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 03:17:57 AM

I jumped into this finally last night.  It's everything I expected it to be and then some.  My current team consists of Chuck (one of the BC Fishing daily gators), the Onyxia Hatchling, and the Fossilized Raptor (Archy Fossil pet).  Easily knocked out the 25-straight wins achieve, along with collecting a lot of rares and what not.  Very fun to play.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 08:54:15 PM

It is really embarrassing how high "didn't get vanilla collector's edition" ranks on my list of regrets.  These pet battles are going to make it so much worse.

OTOH, I guess it's a sign that my life has been relatively painless.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
dalien
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 12:49:54 AM

Here's another mod that's better than the one I posted earlier:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21665-BattlePetCount.html

It's also on Curse client if you search for BattlePetCount.  It shows the rarity of pets during battle like the other mod does, and also shows on tooltips (in the world and on the minimap) if you've captured that pet yet and what rarity.  Disable the other one and use this one, it's good <3
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 01:27:25 AM

How viable is the Pet Battle System for a returning 85 (with the expansion)? I figure anything awesome in the 85-90 zones will be a pain, but outside of that how much is there to do? Is this something that works well from a quick game perspective or is it a lot of hassle to go out and find fights in the wild?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:08:45 AM

How viable is the Pet Battle System for a returning 85 (with the expansion)? I figure anything awesome in the 85-90 zones will be a pain, but outside of that how much is there to do? Is this something that works well from a quick game perspective or is it a lot of hassle to go out and find fights in the wild?
It is gated mainly by the level of your pet team.  All pets start at level 1, and the Cap is level 25.

It is rediculously easy to put together a basic team and just head out into the wild and start wild pet battling.   A half an hour of pet battling will have all 3 of your pet slots unlocked. You will need to progress through a variety of Vanilla zones for a bit till you can level a core team to 25, but after that, you can take your team anywhere.  I believe I was running into level 17 wild pets in Winterspring, which means that pretty much everything Burning Crusade and up will all be level 23-25.

Once you get over the initial hump of leveling your core team to 25, everything else should be smooth sailing from there (espeically since the whole system is account wide, meaning you can level alts and still have your uber team along for the ride, makeing swapping new pets into the roster to level them up as well easier).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:10:55 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 05:27:08 AM

The trainer system for each continent also helps you know where to go in order to level-up that team.  Each time you defeat a trainer they point you to the next one.  When you see that trainer, their pets are out on display with level and type so you know how to plan your team out.   Much better than the beta system where the trainer combat quest would only pop-up once you had a pet of appropriate level.

Also, like Pokemon, your pet doesn't need to battle to gain XP just be in combat and part of a winning team at one point.  So keep that level 1 pet in the first slot, start a fight and swap as your first move.  Depending on the level difference it'll gain a bunch of XP and possibly a few levels if you win. (I don't think there's a share xp, unfortunately.)

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 12:53:15 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 07:28:22 AM

Is WoW worth resubscribing to just for the pet battles?

I have all of the collector's editions' pets. I have two friends who do nothing but play pets. I have not bought the Panda expansion nor played since a few months after Cataclysm launched. I don't like raiding. When I play, it's as a hardcore casual.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 07:40:48 AM

Probably not. Pet battles to me are a useful distraction to do when I have limited time or bored. If that was your only point of playing I think it would get old quickly. I'm not a big Pokemon person though so YMMV.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 07:44:15 AM

Pet battles are pretty simple. It's mostly a matter of having the correct counters to the pets you are facing in terms of R-P-S alignments. Certain classes are strong v something and weak v something else. Abilities within the classes also have that effect.

However, if you are a collection person? It's crack on wheels. I know several people in my old guild who do nothing but work on their collections.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 08:29:42 AM

I gave it a try a couple weeks ago and don't see the appeal, I don't think it's fun at all.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:45 AM

Pet battles are pretty simple. It's mostly a matter of having the correct counters to the pets you are facing in terms of R-P-S alignments. Certain classes are strong v something and weak v something else. Abilities within the classes also have that effect.

Congrats, you just described Pokemon combat in its entirety.   Sure, you could outlevel and stomp-ass but it has always boiled-down to R-P-S with a greater number of variables.  Wow pet battles captured that very well.

what they DIDN'T do well (when I was playing) is balance abilities.  Some of them were far superior to others. The multi-attack abilities were always stronger even if they did weaker damage.  DOTs had no counters and could build up some decent damage on top of your multi-attack smack-downs.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:06 AM

I never played Pokemon so  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 09:30:14 AM

Congrats, you just described Pokemon combat in its entirety.   Sure, you could outlevel and stomp-ass but it has always boiled-down to R-P-S with a greater number of variables.  Wow pet battles captured that very well.

what they DIDN'T do well (when I was playing) is balance abilities.  Some of them were far superior to others. The multi-attack abilities were always stronger even if they did weaker damage.  DOTs had no counters and could build up some decent damage on top of your multi-attack smack-downs.

Both DoTs and multi-attacks can be countered by Shell Shield.
Edit: it's also great against stampede/swarm abilities.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:32:00 AM by Hutch »

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21:08 PM

I never played Pokemon so  awesome, for real

Srsly?

Next you'll say you don't have a Gameboy.
Feverdream
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 11:39:42 PM

Actually, since you collect pets and have friends who do pet battles, I think it'd be worth a return to check it out.

I didn't expect to be interested in pet battles at all (never played Pokemon), but I did like collecting the pets from all the expansions.  I just thought pet battles sounded silly.  To my own surprise, I've had a lot of fun with the pet battle system.

If you have even a flicker of interest in hunting down/capturing/collecting pets and/or the pet combat system (which is intuitive and pretty interesting), then you should probably give it a try.  There's enough there to keep you entertained for quite some time.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:45 PM

Well, thanks, I think I will, since I just got a "return to Azeroth for 7 days free" thing in my email box.

What is with all you people who never played Pokemon? How can this be? It's one of the best alt-universes in the game world, even if it is for kids.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 08:43:48 PM

Pokemon was never enough of an incentive to buy a handheld console.  Fire Emblem brought the 3DS into my life so I may try the next Pokemon game when it comes out.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Gotta Catch Em All! (Battle Pets!)  
Jump to: