Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not so good news about F2P  (Read 151778 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

on: September 22, 2012, 12:41:47 PM

They had a live stream today and actually briefly talked about some things in the new cash shop.

Really cool mounts, cool pets, some gearsets (not impactful to endgame) that help players as they level up. The gear you will find will be interesting to everyone because it is not going to be restricted by class or by faction and all moddable. The gear you purchase in the CC shop is hopefully something you will be able to use for a class you got.

We also have a really cool thing called Cartel packs. Cartel packs you buy give you a random assortment of really cool items and a chance to get some of the cooler items that maybe in the game (not powerful, but very cool – they going to make you look AMAZING!)

So basically annoying gambling boxes for the cooler looking gear/mounts.  The new raid tier coming out doesn't have a new art set.  Most likely the art that should of gone to the new raid got shunted to these gambling boxes.

Dulfy has a transcript for the whole thing here:  http://dulfy.net/2012/09/21/swtor-livestream-qa-transcript/
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:27:16 PM

I hate those gambling boxes. They're annoying in TF2, drove me to quit STO, and I imagine they'll be just as annoying here.

The new raid tier set, however, has been in the game files since April, art and all. It just continues the theme they have of each "tier" of gear sharing the same looks.

Tionese/Columi/Rakata look the same, so Black Hole/Campaign/Dread Guard will as well.

I mean it's still lazy design (and nearly all the class sets are ugly as sin), but it's not, overall, that big a deal.

My concern, though, is about "...some gearsets (not impactful to endgame) that help players as they level up." I imagine this will end up with full sets of orange gear filled with mods of the quality of the Inheritance Legacy items you can buy with the vanishingly rare token drops you can get. It renders crafting at all but the max skill rank all but moot for several crafting skills and will be a nightmare in PvP.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:30:53 PM by koro »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:50 PM

I don't really see anything here that bothers (or excites) me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:30:32 PM

I hate those gambling boxes. They're annoying in TF2, drove me to quit STO, and I imagine they'll be just as annoying here.

The new raid tier set, however, has been in the game files since April, art and all. It just continues the theme they have of each "tier" of gear sharing the same looks.

Tionese/Columi/Rakata look the same, so Black Hole/Campaign/Dread Guard will as well.

Why is it the same tier?  They don't have any real rule regarding that.  Statistically Tionese->Columi is a bigger difference than Rakata->Black Hole.  Basing tiers on time between updates is more logical.  It's been long enough that my subscription should of paid for new armor sets by now.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 02:20:38 PM

With the way armor is setup barely anyone uses the base looks anymore.  Why would you when you have so many choices to choose from.  Hell all I wear is the two Tuskan Raider outfits now.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:59:40 PM

Is the game actually F2P already?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:43:56 PM

No, not yet.

Patch 1.4 is probably going live within 2 weeks.

F2P is scheduled for 1-2 months from now.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 07:50:55 PM

The server merges happened though, complete with round 2 of the terribly inconsistent naming conflict policy.

Over and out.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:17:20 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend lost her favorite name that she had since launch on her 50 to someone's much lower-leveled alt. I can't say I blame her for immediately canceling her sub.

On the plus side, I got my Legacy name back, only to find out that the person who had it on Shadowlands when I transferred was none other than one of my guildmates.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:34 PM

The server merges happened though, complete with round 2 of the terribly inconsistent naming conflict policy.

We didn't get moved again did we?

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:14:38 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend lost her favorite name that she had since launch on her 50 to someone's much lower-leveled alt. I can't say I blame her for immediately canceling her sub.

On the plus side, I got my Legacy name back, only to find out that the person who had it on Shadowlands when I transferred was none other than one of my guildmates.

Legacy names are non-unique now, so maybe that person still has it!

We didn't get moved again did we?

No, Ebon Hawk was the destination.  Kath Hound, Rubat Crystal, Lord Adraas, Sanctum of the Exalted, and Shien all got merged into that server.  They upped the number of character slots to 12 (why not 16?  Ohhhhh, I see. ) but it looks like anyone who would end up with more than 12 characters because of the merge still gets to keep all of them even if it means they have more than 12.  However, if someone with more than 12 characters ever wants to make a new one on that server (say for Cathar), they have to delete down below 12 to free up an empty slot.

Also, apparently 'Bat Country' is now 'Bat Country @ Ebon Hawk', I assume because there was another 'Bat Country' that got merged onto the server.  'Human-Cyborg Relations' doesn't have that @ nonsense.  I think the guild master will have the option to rename the guild?

The consolidation brings the number of North American servers down to I think 8.  Down from what, over 100?

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 10:16:42 PM

Probably the old Bat Country from Shien that Sky never disbanded because he is smooth.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:22 PM

Legacy names are non-unique now, so maybe that person still has it!

Oh he does, which is how we found out about it. He kept his old legacy name, and I switched to my old legacy name, only to find out that we had the exact same one; he was the reason I had to change mine on initial server transfer back in... July?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:47:23 AM

So how does that manage to work?  swamp poop

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:14 AM

Legacy names are no longer unique, but character names still are. Plus, the new merges are a bit different from the voluntary moves done a few months back. All the servers are essentially brand new servers that just happen to have the same names as the Destinations from the previous rounds of transfers. So the people who were lucky enough to be on a Destination server already now had to have their character names possibly lost as well.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:01:48 PM

Christ, the name thing is a mess.

EDIT: It's a mess, BUT I got a couple of names that I know were previously taken? My operative got moved over (I had been putting it off because I couldn't think of a good replacement name for him) and he's still Joshua now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:21:27 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:42:36 PM

Maybe I'll get Fordel back if I'm lucky.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 07:48:38 PM

Only if you log in before Other Fordel does, I suspect.

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:30 PM

I'm hoping the other Fordel is as apathetic as me atm.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 08:09:24 AM

Christ, the name thing is a mess.

It's going to be a nightmare when F2P hits too.  The max server sizes are huge now.  They'll be literally forced to change the naming system. 
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:34 PM

Shrug, there's still decent 5-letter names available. 

You think F2P will bring that many players in?  To me it looks more like a way for them to fleece whatever playerbase they still have (they're expecting subscribers to pay for the stuff on sale in addition to the subscription).  And, let's see, the F2P will probably be released at Christmas, and by then most pandas will be just about levelled up enough for raiding, no?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:53 PM

You think F2P will bring that many players in? 

I'd be surprised it if didn't.  Trying to get a decent name in something like DC Universe Online is a nightmare unless you want a lot of -=XxXSup3rm4nXxX=- type stuff floating over your head.  And SWtOR is going to pull in WAY more than DCUO.  I've never seen an F2P game with a naming scheme like this where names weren't a problem, and SWtOR is probably going to be the biggest one yet due to it's newness and the sheer amount of marketing inertia from the original launch.

If you're talking about PAYING players, I'd agree, I wouldn't be looking for a miracle, but when every kid who downloads the client can roll a new character for free, the namespace gets crowded fast.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 05:36:36 AM

Oh did they say free client?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:21 AM

Yeah it isn't a box sale, it is true F2P.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 02:42:57 PM

You think F2P will bring that many players in?  To me it looks more like a way for them to fleece whatever playerbase they still have (they're expecting subscribers to pay for the stuff on sale in addition to the subscription).  And, let's see, the F2P will probably be released at Christmas, and by then most pandas will be just about levelled up enough for raiding, no?

F2P players are a different ball game when it comes to competing against WoW.  Most of the people they'll draw in don't even play subscription MMO's.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 02:44:33 PM

Yeah it isn't a box sale, it is true F2P.
Lol, then I get a refund on my box?

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:46 PM

Sure, just like you get a refund on the difference between every game you buy at full price and the price at a Steam sale a year later.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:55 PM

Ideally people who bought the box (and/or past subscriptions) would have at least SOME privileges over completely new f2p people beyond putting them into the "you have spent at least 1$/5$ in our cash shop" user group.

A good example for this is COH (minus some silly f2p-transition issues like inventions and bases) and a bad example is LOTRO (yo dawg, if you want to play through the zones in the base game that you THOUGHT were included in the box price, you better pay up!)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 11:47:04 PM

I believe they've said we're getting some free store points or whatever, much like LOTRO did.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 05:44:24 PM

I believe they've said we're getting some free store points or whatever, much like LOTRO did.

I'd also be really surprised if they give F2P people 8 character slots right off the bat.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 03:23:38 PM

I cancelled a few days back before knowing about Naming Fiasco #2. Sadly I just chose a few rote 'I want to spend less time playing games' answers in the dreadful whiny OH GOD YOU'RE LEAVING ME WHHHYYYY boxes; in hindsite I'd have liked to write a nice little rant about their total mismanagement of just about every after-the-fact system they foist on the community. I came a cropper on both sides of the nonsensical naming rules, which lends their assertion that 'whether the character had to be renamed before' was a facter was an air of total fabrication.

I still like the game. It's just run so badly and their only consistency is inconsistency. I'll be back when Cathar go live.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 08:03:01 PM

I cancelled a few days back before knowing about Naming Fiasco #2.
Wait, what? There was another?

I cancelled just before the naming fiasco to stop automatic billing, so I didn't even leave any negative feedback at all, just that I was doing it to get off auto-billing.

Still looking forward to f2p for the most part, but ye gods.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:29 PM

The servers got merged again into new Super Servers™ that are technically new servers (new hardware) but with the names of what were the Destination servers beforehand; a few Destinations even got merged into other Destinations to boot. Because it's technically a new server, everyone had to roll the dice on their names being available. Some people (like me) got lucky and lost no names. Some (like my girlfriend who even had a relatively uncommon name) lost their names for the first time, some who've had them since pre-launch. There are even others who, after losing names during the initial voluntary transfers, lost them again in the new merges.

The methodology of determining who had to rename their characters was pretty much random as far as anyone knows, despite Bioware's assertions to the contrary. I know of more than a few people who lost their names to people who were half their level, hadn't been playing as long, or were inactive, period.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:14:43 PM by koro »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 11:37:49 PM

Eh, most of the people who lost their names were never-transferred-in-the-first-place people. Now, guild names, that's another matter. We lost Bat Country to Sky being retarded and not disbanding the old one like he should have, so when it got force merged in it won.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 08:06:04 AM

Everyone should bathe in my angst. (I didn't realize it would be an issue)

Too bad they didn't honor order of creation for naming. That whole situation was a pretty big 'fuck you' when you're pushing personal story as the primary motivation. To do it twice (I wonder if I lost the one name I kept the first time, almost assuredly by now), that's insane.

Good to get a reminder of why this game utterly turned me off in one swell foop. Move to the back of the queue, f2p TOR.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P  
Jump to: