Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: NCSoft says 2 million units sold 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCSoft says 2 million units sold  (Read 6914 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:28 AM

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/guild-wars-2-breaks-the-two-million-sales-mark/

That was quick.  That was really, really quick (for an MMO).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:01:19 AM

Does that even cover development costs?  I have to imagine that it cost over $120 million to make. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:05:13 AM

Its probably going to average a cool 5 by the time the holiday season starts and Anet patches the game up in October.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:08:40 AM

Didn't GW1 sell like 7mil units altogether?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:36:03 AM

Not bad.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:23:49 AM

Does that even cover development costs?  I have to imagine that it cost over $120 million to make. 

Probably not.  But, unlike every other AAA MMO released recently it looks like it has a very good chance to do so within a relatively short time.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:26:41 AM

Probably not.  But, unlike every other AAA MMO released recently it looks like it has a very good chance to do so within a relatively short time.

I thought Rift did pretty well in the first 6 months. 

I think that GW2 will probably make it to the 3 mil mark by Christmas.  The lack of a monthly sub will help their box sales a great deal over the long haul.  Expansions will probably spike sales too.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:48 AM

Also, don't forget that they have a cash shop.  I be that 2 million people generate income at a fairly good clip even if only 5% of the players use it regularly.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:07:07 AM

I already know at least a couple dudes in my guild who readily cop to having already spent more in the gem store than on the box. Though the gem prices are so low at this point, and the big money sinks like legendary weapons so outrageously expensive, that I can easily see people balking at the minimum 20g legendary expense and just tricking out their accounts with gold bought gems.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:15 AM

If my credit card(s) worked, I would have bought gems for character slots by now.  But for some reason Arenanet is blocking all of them, including Paypal(I got the game itself on Amazon). I sent in a ticket and the support people will unlock it for 24 hours at time, apparently, but, fuck that, I'm not submitting a ticket every time I want to buy something.  I'll get the money in-game.  Their loss.  No idea why my account/ip/whatever is apparently flagged like this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 10:26:59 AM

Not sure why PayPal would be rejected but NCsoft is notorious for getting themselves flagged by credit card processors for being a prime source of fraudulent transactions.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:48 AM

Yeah, I called one of the cards after I tried & failed to purchase the game and they said it wasn't even reaching them - the card hadn't denied it and there was no record of an attempt or anything.  It's on NCSoft's end, I guess, which is extra weird because I've had a CoH subscription.  Who knows.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:28 PM

I'm assuming part of the plan is that GW2 is a "foundation" for many years of content releases and cash shop purchases. Because it does seem like they've spent so much money on this the profit is going to be diminished.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:51:59 PM

I neeed to buy a shiton of keys in their store to open the 95 locked boxes in my inventory :P
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 03:39:45 AM

My cc was rejected too, but Paypal did work.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 11:18:59 AM

Wow 2mil units ain't bad brother!  I also think it will sell another 1 million before the new year.  The no-sub feature is VERY enticing.  They really have something here and agree that they are using this as a base for more linked offerings in the future.  So we can call this the #2 western MMO now I guess.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:33 AM

I neeed to buy a shiton of keys in their store to open the 95 locked boxes in my inventory :P

There seems to be a large chance of getting a key when you open a box.  I doubt if you will need more than 12-15 keys, really.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 06:11:57 AM

If you're not too OCD, you seem to get 3-4 keys from doing your personal quest that unlocked a ton of mine.

You're going to have to delete your tonics though, because they're secretly an insidious way to try and force you to buy bank slots :P
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:16 AM

Like I posted in some other thread, I opened at least 25-30 boxes (based on the amount of tonics on my mules) just with the keys from the story quest + 100%ing zones. Once I had a streak of 9 boxes opened with a single key...

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:10 AM

Once I had a streak of 9 boxes opened with a single key...

There should be an achievement for that. My record is only 6...

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:24:56 AM

There seems to be a large chance of getting a key when you open a box.  I doubt if you will need more than 12-15 keys, really.

I can honestly say out of the 6 boxes I have opened I have never, ever gotten another key :-/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: NCSoft says 2 million units sold  
Jump to: