Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938011 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4200 on: March 14, 2023, 07:03:53 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4201 on: March 14, 2023, 07:18:24 PM

The Beast must be fed.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4202 on: March 14, 2023, 08:08:44 PM

The hardcore fans on Star Citizen make Jesus seem like a nasty grudge-keeper. There is literally nothing they cannot forgive. They could take the game offline for six months and patch in nothing but more realistic pubic hair for avatars and those people would be like "I've been waiting for that feature, and it's worth the down time."

PS: here's more moneys

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4203 on: March 31, 2023, 02:35:10 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4204 on: March 31, 2023, 07:27:44 PM

This never stops being amusing. Not the least the people saying "it's still in alpha, bugs that shut you out of a game for a month are normal" in apparent seriousness.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4205 on: April 09, 2023, 05:42:11 PM

i've been functionally unable to even play star citizen for ... well, looks like a month ago officially now. most people haven't been able to. i've actually been locked out of the game for so long that i finished watching cuck
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4206 on: April 09, 2023, 06:05:29 PM

Join the official discord, it has a ton of info.

https://discord.gg/5t9pb499 

awesome, for real

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4207 on: April 09, 2023, 06:06:28 PM

A decade in and they're still reworking something as fundamental as the flight system and (eventually) adding in a skill system. It's almost like they still haven't actually done any solid design work on this game.

one of the interesting parts about the whole flight model overhaul (Planned, so who the fuck knows when that would even happen) is that there's a cadre of PvP obsessives who have carefully worked all the ways to wring blood from the stone of SC's current player combat model and, in doing so, proved that it genuinely sucked and mostly had to do with testing your ability to laser-focus on a really tiny reticule with nearly all pvp combat in the game working out at effective ranges where your target is the usually the size of the head of a pin, and often devolves into 'jousting' passes similar to elite dangerous at its worst

core flight model should have been the first thing they worked out at the center of the game tech, it should not be something they toss out a decade in to replace with .. something? that nobody's even sure they know how to design? but they're just doing the thing that every competent space fighting game figured out a long, long time ago: you emulate WW1-WW2 era dogfighting style range and tracking and do everything in your power to make it work out with that general feel, with swoops and dives and tailing people and all that. it's just the natural area of fun flight combat.

but i will not assume confidently that they have the competence to do even that, so for now and into the indefinite future the current flight model is a limbo state of "we don't want to put any more work into it because it's going to be overhauled, but the overhaul never comes" and it's janky as fuck
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4208 on: April 09, 2023, 06:11:31 PM

i finished watching cuck

If Star Citizen indirectly results in us getting our long-awaited Cuck review, my $250k pledge will have finally been worth it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4209 on: April 09, 2023, 06:21:00 PM

originally the joke was going to be that the cuck review was the star citizen launch announcement but
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4210 on: April 09, 2023, 06:28:26 PM

They built a physics model in an engine they didn't understand and then tried to build spaceship combat up from that.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #4211 on: April 09, 2023, 06:51:58 PM

i remember how piranha had to deal with cryengine being an absolute nightmare for development in MWO, and subsequently dropped it like radioactive shit in preference for (i think) unreal when they moved on to Mercenaries. they were literally willing to abandon the entirety of their existing codebase and physics assets and start from scratch rather than go through the nightmare of cryengine development again. the documentation was apparently absolute shit, and all that

star citizen has been fucking around with years of tech debt buildup since semi-maneuvering it to lumberyard or whatever's up with that, and in the meantime i have no doubt there's lots of coder churn, so probably a lot of their ugly stringy codebase was built by people who aren't around anymore and everything done to try to desperately shoehorn in new updates is built out of patchwork desperation to just make it through to the next event

the whole thing is ... i mean i can't say it's definitely unsalvageable, but whenever i hop back in to play, it sure feels like it. we long ago reached the point where every update breaks elevators, that's just a feature now. update? elevators broke
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4212 on: April 09, 2023, 06:55:33 PM

i remember how piranha had to deal with cryengine being an absolute nightmare for development in MWO, and subsequently dropped it like radioactive shit in preference for (i think) unreal when they moved on to Mercenaries. they were literally willing to abandon the entirety of their existing codebase and physics assets and start from scratch rather than go through the nightmare of cryengine development again. the documentation was apparently absolute shit, and all that

star citizen has been fucking around with years of tech debt buildup since semi-maneuvering it to lumberyard or whatever's up with that, and in the meantime i have no doubt there's lots of coder churn, so probably a lot of their ugly stringy codebase was built by people who aren't around anymore and everything done to try to desperately shoehorn in new updates is built out of patchwork desperation to just make it through to the next event

the whole thing is ... i mean i can't say it's definitely unsalvageable, but whenever i hop back in to play, it sure feels like it. we long ago reached the point where every update breaks elevators, that's just a feature now. update? elevators broke

Dude, join https://discord.gg/5t9pb499

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4213 on: April 09, 2023, 07:23:07 PM

New converts are always the most obnoxious proselytizers.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4214 on: April 09, 2023, 07:50:28 PM

I thought the discord link wasn’t supposed to be outside politics so the googles can’t find it?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4215 on: April 09, 2023, 08:09:27 PM

https://discord.gg/SYH3ty6t

Just to make sure we have a current Discord server link.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4216 on: April 09, 2023, 08:17:39 PM

Do you want the heavy hitters?  Because this is how you get heavy hitters.

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: