Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:18:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 959598 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1960 on: February 25, 2015, 11:24:39 PM

Don't dare criticize the game or the CEO publicly.

I keep seeing this from obviously young people. Are they all no naff as to not understand you don't shit where you eat?  I'm certain the culture hasn't really shifted to the point this is acceptable elsewhere, so why on earth do they think it's ok with their place of employ?

From the context it sounded like he criticized it publicly after leaving and was then doxed/threatened.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #1961 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:10 PM

Anyone that works on this stupid game that isn't immediately given a bonus of $1,000,000 in exchange for 5-7 years of their life + Salary needs to find a new fucking job.

Talk about becoming an untouchable in the industry.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1962 on: February 26, 2015, 12:33:06 AM

Was this Glassdoor link posted yet?

- the fans are fucking nuts god help us they are going to kill us they will literally kill us they are completely insane please send help

- ceo needs to cut back on departmental expenditure on cristal and blow

- vp of marketing demands not to have the 'taint of female presence' corrupting his aura and demands areas be as female free as possible during his visits

- game had more potential as a merely impossible game, but now we would be killed trying to fulfill the new layers of impossible demands on development just to get back to the nitty gritty of the initially impossible game vision

- 10/10 it was okay
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1963 on: February 26, 2015, 02:07:16 AM

I like that 2 different people mentioned company money spent on expensive dinners.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1964 on: February 26, 2015, 02:10:37 AM

I've been to some events for some very popular companies from dinners of 12 people to parties of 200 that were HILARIOUS wastes of fucking money. It's what happens in an industry full of manchildren. That people are posting on glassdoor about it says they do it too often.

I guarantee despite the moneypit this place is, they could buy expensive dinners every night and it wouldn't effect the budget.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1965 on: February 26, 2015, 02:13:03 AM

I like that 2 different people mentioned company money spent on expensive dinners.
I like that everybody mentioned the fans in a very nervious fashion, even when praising them.  You can practically feel the repressed terror leaking through the text.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1966 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:01 AM

I've been to some events for some very popular companies from dinners of 12 people to parties of 200 that were HILARIOUS wastes of fucking money. It's what happens in an industry full of manchildren. That people are posting on glassdoor about it says they do it too often.

I guarantee despite the moneypit this place is, they could buy expensive dinners every night and it wouldn't effect the budget.

10 pc kfc per person? :D Pizza Dismissal Party?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1967 on: February 26, 2015, 04:11:41 AM

I've been to some events for some very popular companies from dinners of 12 people to parties of 200 that were HILARIOUS wastes of fucking money. It's what happens in an industry full of manchildren.

Yeah, some places really love to waste money. I can understand having a nice meetup dinner at GDC or something but why would the company be footing the bill for nice dinners on a regular basis?

Oh right - because all their money is donated and they don't give a shit about wasting donated money.

Quote from: rk47
You can practically feel the repressed terror leaking through the text.

Both terror of fans and also "oh god why are we adding even more features this is going to take 100 years."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1968 on: February 26, 2015, 05:23:07 AM

Game development is a business where entire studios get shuttered if development goals aren't met or projects run over budget (or if the CEO has seen a butterfly during his morning commute). Where devs and designers are treated like cattle (aka open plan offices spaces) and earn shit while moving from town to town for each job like fucking carnies.

I totally understand that the rank and file gets angry when management pisses their dev budget away on expensive drinks and meals and all kinds of frivolities, especially since actually finishing the project and delivering a product that is not shit affects their livelyhood or decides if they get fired and have to relocate their entire family for the fourth time. Even more so when their livelyhood might get threatened by rabid fans that spent thousands of dollars on a pipe dream.

The studio heads then turn around a claim the failure on the "uncertainties of large project development" and move on to the next long con while everyone else gets 2 weeks notice and has to clean out their desks till end of business day.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1969 on: February 26, 2015, 05:58:04 AM

I wonder if this will be the first game where one of the developers actually gets murdered in a revenge killing over failed promises. That's what that glass door reads like.

I mean some people have to have put their entire savings into this game because they are insane. And I just wonder if they are insane enough to lash out physically at the monster that robbed them.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1970 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:28 AM

I wonder if this will be the first game where one of the developers actually gets murdered in a revenge killing over failed promises. That's what that glass door reads like.

I mean some people have to have put their entire savings into this game because they are insane. And I just wonder if they are insane enough to lash out physically at the monster that robbed them.

undecided That's illegal right?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1971 on: February 26, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

No, it' just open PvP.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1972 on: February 26, 2015, 07:19:45 AM

I've been to some events for some very popular companies from dinners of 12 people to parties of 200 that were HILARIOUS wastes of fucking money. It's what happens in an industry full of manchildren.
It's pretty universal.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1973 on: February 26, 2015, 07:35:51 AM

This is getting to the point where watching the train wreck isn't even going to be entertaining.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1974 on: February 26, 2015, 08:09:49 AM

This is getting to the point where watching the train wreck isn't even going to be entertaining.

It's moved on for me to wondering who is going to end up broke, dead, or in jail.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1975 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:53 AM

Sooooo

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1976 on: February 26, 2015, 10:32:51 AM

Not even a different store image for the 18.6k pack? What a ripoff.  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1977 on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:47 AM

Urge to kill...rising.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1978 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:42 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1979 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:43 AM

This entire thing is such a cynical commentary on humanity.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I hope he gets sued to hell and back by some dumb asshole's wife after said asshole spent their kids college money on fake spaceships. 

-Rasix
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1980 on: February 26, 2015, 11:02:51 AM

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1981 on: February 26, 2015, 11:09:48 AM

This entire thing is such a cynical commentary on humanity.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I hope he gets sued to hell and back by some dumb asshole's wife after said asshole spent their kids college money on fake spaceships. 

I mentioned a guy earlier in this thread, whom I have worked with extensively over the last decade. I still talk to him and his wife, since they were both friends. She has divorced him, and has full custody of his kids. Their youngest kid and mine play together frequently.

I bought him a beer the other day during our usual get together with a group of other guys. He confessed to now being well over the 20 thousand dollar mark on money spent on star citizen. He is convinced that it is going to be so amazing that he thinks he literally will not have to play any other games for the rest of his life.

I know this story is unbelievable, you don't have to trust me. However, I swear by its truth. The guy literally evangelizes the game to everybody he talks to. He reminds me of those people who get completely sucked into a religious group, his entire life revolves around star citizen right now.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Cyber
Terracotta Army

Reply #1982 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:48 AM

I mentioned a guy earlier in this thread, whom I have worked with extensively over the last decade. I still talk to him and his wife, since they were both friends. She has divorced him, and has full custody of his kids. Their youngest kid and mine play together frequently.

I bought him a beer the other day during our usual get together with a group of other guys. He confessed to now being well over the 20 thousand dollar mark on money spent on star citizen. He is convinced that it is going to be so amazing that he thinks he literally will not have to play any other games for the rest of his life.

I know this story is unbelievable, you don't have to trust me. However, I swear by its truth. The guy literally evangelizes the game to everybody he talks to. He reminds me of those people who get completely sucked into a religious group, his entire life revolves around star citizen right now.

The Chris Roberts Kool-Aid is mighty strong!

Did the divorce have anything to do with his "investment" into SC?  That would be a whole other level of tragic...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1983 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:10 AM

This entire thing is such a cynical commentary on humanity.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I hope he gets sued to hell and back by some dumb asshole's wife after said asshole spent their kids college money on fake spaceships.  

I do believe you, but how did he spend 20k? Isn't the "Completist" box only 18600$? Did he buy the whole thing and then some stuff doube, "just in case"?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1984 on: February 26, 2015, 11:35:12 AM

I'm sure the earlier per starship pricing was "less kind".  He's probably sitting at home thinking "shit, this could have saved my marriage".

-Rasix
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1985 on: February 26, 2015, 11:42:02 AM

I do believe you, but how did he spend 20k? Isn't the "Completist" box only 18600$? Did he buy the whole thing and then some stuff doube, "just in case"?

He has multiple accounts. He has multiples of all of the super limited stuff. He believes there is going to be a market for those ships he has collected in the future.

About the whole divorce being related to star citizen purchases, I can say for sure that was the reason his wife left him, since I am friends with her too.  He basically used school loan money on star citizen and dumped what little remaining retirement savings they had into star citizen. She tried to have an intervention for him using myself and a few of his other friends and family. He went off the deep end and accused us of not understanding how important his investment was. By this time she had already moved into her own place, and a few days after the failed intervention, she served him papers. My wife and I still have her over frequently because our kids play together. I only see him on rare occasions when my small group of friends gets together for beers. However, over time he shows up less and less.

Edit: Since my wife is in the loop on star citizen she just about freaked out when I told her I spent like 45 bucks on it while it was still in kickstarter. I had to show her that was all I have spent before she would calm down.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:44:24 AM by Pennilenko »

Cyber
Terracotta Army

Reply #1986 on: February 26, 2015, 11:48:31 AM

About the whole divorce being related to star citizen purchases, I can say for sure that was the reason his wife left him, since I am friends with her too.  He basically used school loan money on star citizen and dumped what little remaining retirement savings they had into star citizen. She tried to have an intervention for him using myself and a few of his other friends and family. He went off the deep end and accused us of not understanding how important his investment was. By this time she had already moved into her own place, and a few days after the failed intervention, she served him papers. My wife and I still have her over frequently because our kids play together. I only see him on rare occasions when my small group of friends gets together for beers. However, over time he shows up less and less.

That is truly tragic and sad.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1987 on: February 26, 2015, 11:58:43 AM

You should email that story to Chris Roberts to congratulate him on the lives he's ruining with his bullshit.

Because he absolutely is ruining lives. I don't think that's an isolated story. I think the way this thing is designed it's one book release away from being Scientology.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1988 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:30 PM

Fuck emails, send it as a paper letter. Those get read.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1989 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:52 PM

Narcissists and sociopaths like Roberts easily wave-away stories with, "These are adults making their own decisions. I can't be responsible for them making bad ones."

As a culture we let people starve on slave wages working 40+ hours a week because, "they made bad decisions," and its all kosher so long as profits remain high. Do you really think a simple marriage break-up story is going to derail a proven gravy train?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1990 on: February 26, 2015, 12:32:02 PM

I would feel hesitant paying 18 dollars for any kind of in-game ship, and that is even assuming we have a playable and fun game to begin with.  Were the price tag 180, I would think anyone spending that kind of money on virtual ships was a complete and utter rube.  If the price was 1800, I would be sure that someone was pulling my leg, because there is no way anything in a video game could cost even close to that much.  But 18600?  What the ever living fuck.  I cannot even wrap my mind around that.  You could hire 10 hookers for that money, and still have change leftover for a sack full of blow.  You can buy an actual real car for that.  You could feed a few hundred starving African kids for a long time.  

Who actually clicks on that button and fills in the CC info to complete the payment?  Psychos.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
WayAbvPar

Reply #1991 on: February 26, 2015, 12:53:32 PM

This whole thing is just sad. I found it hilarious for a long time, but stories of kids being subjected to divorce because their dad is a retard breaks my heart. Fuck you own life up 6 ways from Sunday, but once you have a kid you need to unfuck yourself. If you don't think you can do it, sterilize yourself immediately. Fucking shitstain. And fuck Chris Roberts and his fucking ego for allowing this shit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1992 on: February 26, 2015, 12:54:52 PM

Narcissists and sociopaths like Roberts easily wave-away stories with, "These are adults making their own decisions. I can't be responsible for them making bad ones."

As a culture we let people starve on slave wages working 40+ hours a week because, "they made bad decisions," and its all kosher so long as profits remain high. Do you really think a simple marriage break-up story is going to derail a proven gravy train?

Of course not. But there are plenty of instances where famous people get letters that really made them think, or the responded with some interesting commentary.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1993 on: February 26, 2015, 12:59:14 PM

This is not in any way unique to game dev. Advertising executives are notorious for this kind of money being pissed away on entertaining promising clients or prospects, or other completely unnecessary image bullshit.

Also, why would someone paying 18K for a ship have to put in their CC number? Anyone that fucking insane already has their info stored for one-click purposes.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1994 on: February 26, 2015, 01:04:21 PM

I wonder if AMEX makes that phone call to check and see if you've been hacked.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: