Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938243 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #665 on: November 18, 2013, 04:29:33 AM

Maybe the right compromise is the Origin 350r (on sale tomorrow), which combines great speed, decent hull and weaponry (plus good aesthetics) for an average dogfighting/exploration combo (but with limited cargo capacity).
---

During last friday's "Wingman's Hangar", someone spotted a PS4 dev kit sitting right next to the project CTO, Jason Spangler (you might remember him from the original UO days as "Stormwind"). The usual, heated debate between retards ensued, so unfortunately Chris Roberts himself had to post the following message on the forums:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/76653/star-citizen-pc-ps4-and-consoles/p1

snippet (post is quite longer) :
As far as consoles go Star Citizen will never be on the PS3 or Xbox 360. As for the next gen consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, we have NO CURRENT PLANS, but my stance remains open and is consistent with the many interviews I’ve given -

IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures, IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them.

Why?

Well because then they are essentially inexpensive small form factor PCs with a custom operating system focused on gaming and who wouldn't want a bigger community of Star Citizens? If Sony or Microsoft are willing to let their platform be open, then I see no real difference between them or Valve’s Steambox, a Mac or a PC running Linux, all of which are platforms that I don’t think this community would mind supporting as they are all viewed as “PCs”. In fact most Macs are probably much worse gaming machines than a next gen console (as Apple is the antithesis of what I love about PCs)

But this is a big IF as it’s asking a lot. To their credit Sony seems to be the most eager to embrace indie games and the idea of openness, and they chased us down to give us some dev kits to play with but we’ve been very clear on what it would take to get Star Citizen onto PS4.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #666 on: November 18, 2013, 11:43:53 AM

update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures
Fucking quality control.  Ohhhhh, I see.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #667 on: November 18, 2013, 06:40:09 PM

update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures
Fucking quality control.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Those bastards expect paid customers not to test our new codes in LIVE games?
The nerve, damn your Micro$oft!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: November 18, 2013, 08:24:26 PM

Wait, there's going to be a live game?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: November 19, 2013, 01:15:53 AM

So even if I buy one of these ships during this "Sale" I still have to wait for release?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: November 19, 2013, 02:23:36 AM

So even if I buy one of these ships during this "Sale" I still have to wait for release?

you can check them out in the hangar module; also, you will be able to fly the ships (still undecided if it's going to be only yours or every single one for testing purposes, albeit in staggered phases) when they'll release the dogfighting module (currently scheduled for late December - mid January).
--------------

Origin M50 sale ended a couple hours ago: they managed to gather around 300K.

Origin 350r now on sale (bold is mine):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13380-Origin-350R-Now-Available

Continuing the Star Citizen Anniversary Sale, we are pleased to announce that the Origin Jumpworks 350R is available again for the next 24 hours (ending at midnight PST, November 19, 2013.) The 350R is the twin-engined development of the popular 300i, offering more thrust capacity and a redesigned hull. It’s available today with LTI for all backers, as is the “Lightspeed Package” which includes a digital copy of the game, a 350R and a special racing suit. Interested Citizens can learn more here.

Please note that if you have a non-LTI 350R and would like to upgrade, you should reclaim the original ship or addon and then purchase this version. Simply purchasing an upgrade will not give your ship LTI!

Want to learn more about the Origin 300 Series? Check out the brochure!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/300i

New backers:

Lightspeed Package - $135 [€108]
Origin 350r standalone ship (comes with the related hangar) - $115 [€92]
Upgrade from plain 300i to 350r - $45 [€36]

Original/Veteran backers:

Lightspeed package - $120 [€96]
350r Standalone ship - $100 [€80]
Upgrade - $45 [€36]

Other links:

Brochure - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/exfjsh7mejoxir/source/300series_brochure.pdf
300i series video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBzrUwB6Qo
350r video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjD1wiTBmM&feature=share&list=PLVct2QDhDrB0QRjv9oN02f8mGsml8tcK9

Like I said yesterday, beside racing, it should be a decent fighter (but for a pure one from the same line, the 325a is better) and decent enough for some short range exploration. Plus, it's quite stylish. More "technical" info on the ship stats page on the official site.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:29:08 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #671 on: November 19, 2013, 09:41:11 AM

28M reached and 14% into 29M.

By the time that game is out it will be bigger than GTA V...  why so serious?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #672 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:43 AM

All this shows me is that MMO devs were chumps for only charging $15/ month all these years.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: November 19, 2013, 10:02:05 AM

All this shows me is that MMO devs were chumps for only charging $15/ month all these years.

This is why Blizzard started selling sparkle ponies.  Star Citizen is just Sparkle Ponies all the way down.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: November 19, 2013, 10:06:56 AM

Fucking quality control.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I believe that he is referring to the High price per patch they charge, and the frequency you are allowed to patch games at, and the required months of QC each has to go though. Its not like on the PC where you can patch out a patch when its done, there are time limits on frequency, and I believe a fee each time, to the tune of tens of thousands per patch ( $40,000 per patch on Xbox360, and PS3 ). Also, there are restrictions on patch size I believe. This would all be the "update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures" for patching on consoles. Its not just Quality control he is talking about.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:10:31 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #675 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:25 AM

If those restrictions are not about quality control, then what are they?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: November 19, 2013, 10:42:27 AM

An incentive to make developers put out something good? And by incentive I mean a giant fucking stick of punishment.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:02 AM

Why the neck can't I buy whatever ship I want plus alpha and beta access without being forced to buy another ship?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: November 19, 2013, 10:56:01 AM

Why the neck can't I buy whatever ship I want plus alpha and beta access without being forced to buy another ship?

I think you can. Unless I am misunderstanding your question...

What exactly do you want to do?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:01 AM

So every ship has alpha and beta access?

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #680 on: November 19, 2013, 11:07:50 AM

No.  You buy a "package" to get alpha/beta, the game itself and so on.  Most ships can be found on a package, just make sure to read the "This Package Contains" section.

Link to packages.  Just find the one with the ship you want.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: November 19, 2013, 11:08:00 AM

So every ship has alpha and beta access?

Ahh. No. All ships are available as "pure ships". Only the ship itself, without the game. Then there are a couple of pledge packages that are ship+game.

If you just want the game (and want alpha access too) the cheapest way is Digital Mercenary - 40$. It also includes the Aurora, which is sort of a newbie ship which you can't avoid  smiley

Edit: I looked at the store again. The only ships that don't have an optional package with the game tied it are the Drake Cutlass and the RSI Constellation. All others are buy-able in both ways: Ship or Ship+Game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:15:00 AM by calapine »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #682 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:45 AM

An incentive to make developers put out something good? And by incentive I mean a giant fucking stick of punishment.

Sounds like QC to me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #683 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:33 AM

Edit: I looked at the store again. The only ships that don't have an optional package with the game tied it are the Drake Cutlass and the RSI Constellation. All others are buy-able in both ways: Ship or Ship+Game.
Constellation is the Rear Admiral package, if you really want to spend $275 on an internet spaceship.

Fake Edit:  I really fucking hate how their website refuses to show you some pages if you are logged in.  I have to switch to a different browser without a cookie just to look at what other people see ffs.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: November 19, 2013, 11:29:54 AM

I wonder how much they have left of the money they've gathered.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:20 PM

yeah, let's do it!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Actually, no  ACK!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

EDIT: btw, new letter from the chairman, 28 million reached:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13382-Letter-From-The-Chairman-28-Million

Excerpt:

For our next several stretch goals, we’re going to try something different. We are constantly asked where the additional money goes. Surely new mocap hardware or a new starship design doesn’t cost a million dollars. The answer is that the stretch goals are an example: one big thing we will be doing with some of the money. Every additional million means that we’re hiring additional artists and programmers, equipping the team with better development tools and increasing the size of the talented outsource groups being trusted with aspects of Star Citizen’s development. It means more actors and time for mocap studios, more reference for designers, greater variety in game characters, more options in clothing and armor and a large array of ship items and weapons.

Every dollar improves the project. That isn’t as sexy as spending large amounts of money on impressive, headline-grabbing stretch goals… but it means a significantly better game in the end. So, for the next several stretch goals, we’re going to leave you with the knowledge that the money goes to improving all aspects of Star Citizen’s development. Instead of specifying some new development goal, we’re going to add a new ship to the game as a reward.

The design team has imagined a new set of Star Citizen ships, one from each of our big manufacturers. Each ship will have a new role to play in the Star Citizen universe, and unlocking these stretch goals will make it possible to go ahead and start building them. Since the M50 and 350R got us to this point, we’re starting with the Origin Jumpworks design. After that, it’s going to be up to you: the $31 million stretch goal ship will be decided by the poll below!

The Origin 890 JUMP sounds pretty nice and will probably cost an obscene amount of money, out and in-game :P

Anyone who is registered on the website can vote on the poll for the next ship (no need to pledge). Personally, I'm quite undecided between a "traditional" occupation like mining, and the more particular "information runner".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:30:53 PM by Lucas »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:06 PM

That description makes me think of this:

Also, Lucas , check image size please.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:27 PM

Mining is by far the most popular with 31% o.O Personally I'd have expected the usual "ARRR! I wanna be a pirrrrate!" result.

Results spoilerd for size:

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: November 19, 2013, 12:33:44 PM

"information runner"

The Info runner "profession" come from the talks on how information filters to the outside systems from the core. Its kind of a cool concept they have been discussing on the ask a developer threads. Basically, there is no tech that can "beam" news, info and correspondence huge distances. So, someone has to take it to other areas/hubs. That someone is the players. I forsee it as a great tool for espionage.

Hi Wesha,

Definitely, there is money to be made for couriers who can guarantee that messages can arrive faster and more securely than the comm-relays.

Dave

Hi Saya,

Thanks for the links. I will definitely try to check them out.

We do have the drones to carry the communications between systems. I would imagine that the military/government/Advocacy have their iterations as well or at least have the ability to 'push' urgent communiques through the regular channels.

So it's just about finding enough science or enough of an explanation to justify our set-up.

Dave

Hi Cymelion,

That's an interesting point about Star Trek, it was when they tried to get really specific that they got into trouble as the technology proved/disproved some of the science that they presented. You can also see that in sci-fi movies from the 1950's, while many of them are still fun, their 'assertions' about science/space/etc. can be just flat-out incorrect.

Again, our set-up with communication was a specific choice to create opportunities for drama/set-pieces and to make the UEE's ability to manage their Empire much more difficult.

Dave

Hi Collin,

The intent behind having information needing to be relayed, was that it offered up dramatic possibilities (i.e. if a settlement was attacked by Vanduul, it would take time for authorities/military to be aware of the attack) but also some occupational ones (the need for couriers).

Thanks for writing in,

Dave
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:39:33 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:50 PM

Which stretch goal will improve/expand character and ship customization? Because I'd kind of like to see that.

I know, I'm a stupid damn dummy MMORPG player. Cosmetic options in a space sim, WTH amirite?

Re: Calapine

Mining? What that says to me is that 31% of pledgers have never played EVE.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: November 19, 2013, 12:40:05 PM

"information runner"

The Info runner "profession" come from the talks on how information filters to the outside systems from the core. Its kind of a cool concept they have been discussing on the ask a developer threads. Basically, there is no tech that can "beam" news, info and correspondence huge distances. So, someone has to take it to other areas/hubs. That someone is the players. I forsee it as a great tool for espionage.

Hmm, yeah, sounds interesting, infact I voted for it: on the forums, the vast majority is expressing a vote in favour of Mining, anyway, so it's good to offer a more peculiar activity :).

LOL, loved this pic from the "Fifth Element" posted on the forums about a spaceship yacht:

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #691 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:48 PM

This is a case study waiting to happen.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: November 19, 2013, 01:19:32 PM

This is a case study waiting to happen.

Awww. Let's be fair. It's fun mocking people who spend fortunes on pixels. (*blush*) but the game only costs 30$ and no sub. If any of the ships were real-money purchase only that be different of course, but as it's now I rather see the money go to a (possibly misguided) attempt to make something new instead of EA, where you know it disappears in a black hole marketing costs and management overhead.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:21:03 PM by calapine »

Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: November 19, 2013, 01:20:29 PM

Wait, so you can buy all of these ships in the game, and the point of the game is to explore and earn money to buy more ships and other stuff.  You'll presumably end up with lots of ships. But people would rather spend $100 each to have them right away?  What are they going to do when they're actually playing the game?  And these are hardcore gamers who think Zynga is the scum of the earth because it makes housewives put in a quarter to continue?  Maybe if I played Eve this would make sense to me.  
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: November 19, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

Wait, so you can buy all of these ships in the game, and the point of the game is to explore and earn money to buy more ships and other stuff.  You'll presumably end up with lots of ships. But people would rather spend $100 each to have them right away?  What are they going to do when they're actually playing the game?  And these are hardcore gamers who think Zynga is the scum of the earth because it makes housewives put in a quarter to continue?  Maybe if I played Eve this would make sense to me.  

I guess it's a mixture of getting a head start, not having to grind for your flashy ship and desire to support the game development. How each of this factors is weighted will be different with every individual.

Personally I have no moral qualms about blowing up newblets in their ill fitted newbieships on day 1. why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:20 PM

That's a lot of people not voting for combat. Should be interesting.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: November 19, 2013, 01:41:50 PM

That's a lot of people not voting for combat. Should be interesting.

Yes. What would really interest me how the distribution between "Bought the game at launch because I saw an add" and "Following SC for the last 2 years, own 5 ships and know everything there is" players will be. Maybe I am too pessimistic, but I'd worry about an Eve situation that has the game in the hands of 3-4 big alliances one month after launch.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: November 19, 2013, 01:59:38 PM

Which stretch goal will improve/expand character and ship customization? Because I'd kind of like to see that.

I know, I'm a stupid damn dummy MMORPG player. Cosmetic options in a space sim, WTH amirite?

Re: Calapine

Mining? What that says to me is that 31% of pledgers have never played EVE.

Regarding character customization, a funding goal ($22M) introduced this:

Facial Capture System. We’ve researched a technology that uses a series of cameras to capture real heads and import them into the game. This will let the team more easily create a variety of realistic characters. In addition, the technology is mobile enough to allow us to take it on the road and capture select fans during special events! You can learn more about this technology at Infinite-Realities.

Plus, looks like we'll get a lot of outfits while we're on ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5YJDOwil0k

Take a look starting roughly at the 20:56 mark. Also, from another picture I can't find anymore, it appears that the body might be slot-based, so that we can mix 'n match individual pieces, beside the single outfit that we can wear instantly. I also assume that, given how much they want to push immersion, customization, etc., wel'll get a very solid character creator.

Finally, devs mentioned multiple times that yes, we'll be able to change the colour scheme of our ships, just don't expect a complete paint over; and yes, we'll be able to implement skins (some are already available in the pledge store, see digital add-ons), and they're considering user-made ones, but of course that might raise a lot of issues :P
---

Regarding the last letter, the wording made it look like the game it's now feature complete, and now it's all about the ships and implementing the various mechanics. Small steps, I guess.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:54 PM

it appears that the body might be slot-based, so that we can mix 'n match individual pieces

Some of this is just necessary for the models ETC. Some will definitely be areas of customization. The Complexity of the player models is extreamly high compared to most games.

Source

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:11:27 PM by Mrbloodworth »

schild
Administrator

Reply #699 on: November 19, 2013, 08:37:18 PM

IT'S NOT A GAME STOP READING ABOUT IT

FUCK
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: