Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938276 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #525 on: October 15, 2013, 05:57:39 AM

Does anyone have a link to the unfinished Hornet video?

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN5qK78xY9Y

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: October 15, 2013, 07:28:32 AM

Does anyone have a link to the unfinished Hornet video?

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN5qK78xY9Y

Thanks

I can see why people were unhappy - where was the dog fighting?!

Vid can be summed up as 'stupid Aurora pilot is stupid'
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: October 15, 2013, 08:06:01 AM

Yeah, in terms of production and impact the 300i commercial is the best.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:37 AM

I agree, although the latest Aurora LN commercial is very good too: yes, simpler, less atmospheric or luxurious, but very appropriate for a "basic ship", with a nice mix of sound effects, background music and narration.

Regarding the Hornet commercial, yes, the main gripe is how it shows the ship not giving a damn about the Aurora chasing it (umm, but maybe that's the point?), while you would expect some pew pew from what it's being sold as the mainstream fighter  of SC (on the other hand, the recently released "Avenger" will be the first ship we're going to use in the single-player campaign).

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure they're going to change the cinematic at this point: it might just be a matter of adding sound effects, some more lazerz, background music and a bit more narration. But hey, it would be great if they add a more chaotic scene.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:30 AM

The direction they are going with shield Visuals is interesting.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:11 AM

I am still not that concerned with the stretch goals and endless crowd funding drive. I feel that it is a pretty safe assumption that I will at least get my 40 bucks worth from what ever game ends up coming out.  I do feel bad for the people with hundreds or thousands invested. I am not sure if any game that ever existed or will ever exist is worth that type if investment with no financial return.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #531 on: October 17, 2013, 06:14:43 AM

I think many of them have already rationalized it to themselves knowing that their funding is primarily based around a desire to fund the game well beyond the basic level, as opposed to considering it a worthwhile ingame investment. They'll probably just be generally happy with their LTI.

Of course, there will always be those people who sunk a thousand dollars into the funding for a collection of ships and will have their dissonance fold in on them like a warp in simultaneous four-day creation, causing them to bark at everyone on the forums about how you are educated stupid.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: October 17, 2013, 07:52:52 AM

I am still not that concerned with the stretch goals and endless crowd funding drive. I feel that it is a pretty safe assumption that I will at least get my 40 bucks worth from what ever game ends up coming out.  I do feel bad for the people with hundreds or thousands invested. I am not sure if any game that ever existed or will ever exist is worth that type if investment with no financial return.

And thats a very healthy approach. Its like a very very early pre-order :)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:31 AM

In the interest of being truthful, I only put in 40 bucks so I could play with the alphas of the single and multi-player. Something is broken in my head that causes me to like playing things that are under development.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: October 17, 2013, 08:41:06 AM

Tomorrow, if everything goes as planned, CIG (Cloud Imperium Games) will release the Hornet Brochure and commercial, so there will be another spike with the pledges and alpha slots will diminish drastically (currently, there are 8,408, no wait, 8,407...dang, wait, 8,406  DRILLING AND MANLINESS slots left).

If you are interested in signing up for alpha before they run out of places and you still haven't found the courage to do so  why so serious?, this would be the right time: it's unclear what is going to happen when the counter reaches zero: resets to 108?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? , or perhaps they'll activate the "beta slots" one ? or they'll finally reveal what this experiment in mental control crowdfunding is really about :P . Anyway, They might also write up a post on this subject later today or tomorrow, I don't know.

- Like I wrote in a earlier post, Alpha also means access to the standalone "modules" (actually, they consider SC alpha and Squadron 42 alpha, the "proper" products, as modules too, I think) ; testing access is guaranteed, but honestly I don't know if it's guaranteed on first day (they might split the slots up in "waves" for certain, bigger  modules and tests, like the upcoming dogfighting one).

Register on the website here:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/connect ("enlist now")

Then (Store ---> Pledge section):

- If you want to have alpha and standalone modules access (and of course beta and subsequent releases), you need to pledge for the "Digital Mercenary" pack ($40 - €32) :
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/69-digital-mercenary

- If you want access the standalone hangar module, but without being able to get access to any other module or alpha or beta test, you can pledge for the "Digital Scout" pack ( $30 - €24)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/68-digital-scout

There is also a "Civilian" entry ($10 - €8), but I think you can only visualize it once you are logged in the website. Here's the description:
Not ready to enter the galaxy just yet, but still want to show your support? The Civilian package gives you access to limited forums and deeper areas of the RSI site. The credit can be upgraded towards a game package should you decide to join Star Citizen!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: October 17, 2013, 09:27:51 AM

In the interest of being truthful, I only put in 40 bucks so I could play with the alphas of the single and multi-player. Something is broken in my head that causes me to like playing things that are under development.

I Paid $125.00 (I did an upgrade from a lesser package), so I could start with a two man ship, and because I wanted to back the project. That's the extent of my pledges.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: October 18, 2013, 01:04:33 AM

23 Million reached. As Roberts previously wrote in a post, this is the rough amount he planned for SC in ordered to be considered "fully funded" by the community, including the KS/Credit Card/Paypal fees the company will have have to dish out:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13324-Letter-From-The-Chairman-23-Million

Our unlock for this level is the addition of a Xi’an scout plane. The goal here isn’t simply to add an extra ship to the game, but to add a new type of ship which can be expanded upon as we go. Once we’ve put the effort into building an alien experience for the Khartu, we can apply it to other Xi’an ships moving forward. Essentially, the extra funding lets us build an even more immersive universe.

Which, in the (very) distant post-launch future, may hint at the possibility of making the Xi'an (and the other alien species of SC) playable.

24 million is the PTS (Public Transportation System) mentioned in a earlier post; 25 Million:

Enhanced Alpha – We will use additional funding to build a wider alpha test than we had originally intended for the first phase of Star Citizen’s launch. The initial plan was to first launch servers in North America and then expand to areas such as Europe and Australia to decrease latency in these areas, perfecting the game as we improve the experience around the world. This funding will allow us to invest in a wider infrastructure for our early testing, spinning up remote servers earlier. Hitting this goal will also allow us to increase the number of remaining alpha slots. Extra alpha slots not only means more Star Citizens will travel the ‘verse at launch, but that we will receive more feedback and more stress testing. This in turn will allow us to better balance and enhance the Star Citizen experience!

I guess that answers my earlier doubts about the alpha slots counter  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
------

Two more items:

-  On October 25th, they will start recording music for SC and S42 with a 75-piece orchestra located in the Czech Republic (it was the 6M stretch goal):
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/65877/6-000-000-stretch-goal-orchestral-score-recording-scheduled

- Through the "Ask a Developer" forum section, one of their designer, Pete MacKay, shed some light on how the ship power system (and the related distribution among sub-systems) currently works (you have to be at least registered on the website in order to read that forum section):

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1084743/#Comment_1084743

In our game power is a pull system, rather than a push system. Instead of telling the power plant to push more power to shields, you tell the shields to request more power from the power plant. So, power management is more about setting minimums for each device.

For example: Say you're running your shields at 80% to try and minimize your signature as you fly through known pirate space. Meanwhile your power plant is maxed out providing power to the rest of the ship. Suddenly you're attacked so you set your shields to 100%. The shield generator asks the power plant for the extra power, but the power plant cant give it without taking power from some other ship system. The last time you were in port you set a minimum on your thrusters that allow for maximum maneuvering, but your minimum on your weapons system is only half of what you need to operate them at max, so the power plant automatically redirects power from your weapons to your shields, leaving the power flowing to your thrusters untouched. If you still don't have enough power (and you're already at the minimums on all of your other systems, as can happen if you're running an under powered power plant) your shield generator will be starved and will be unable to meet your request. Sorry captain, its given you all shes got!

Hmm, isn't that how power management works in FTL?

Oh, and finally, you can now buy GOLIATH MOUSE PADS  why so serious?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/goliath-mousepads

Full-res of the art:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/xc5zbyt2kpdhir/source/RSI_goliathmousepad1.jpg
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/ryphbgpvujg1hr/product_thumb_in_description/Anvil_goliathmousepad1.jpg
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/fygakrvjj6wtpr/product_thumb_in_description/Origin_goliathmousepad1.jpg

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: October 18, 2013, 05:30:35 AM

To me, the power thing sounds like everyone will try to have a big enough power plant to run everything at 100%, thereby bypassing the whole "request more power" and "pre-programmed minimums" gameplay.  I guess it also depends on whether running 80% shields (or anything) is really worth it, or pointless.  Do the pirates fail to detect you at 80% shields?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #538 on: October 18, 2013, 12:44:03 PM

Powerplants are going to probably have huge displacement and mass issues, and probably also significantly impact your signature with the more powerful it is.

Individually I would make it so that there's more or less a general field of 'sweet spot' where increasing powerplant for your weight class beyond a certain point (towards a hypothetical "oh it powers literally everything 100% all of the time") is either too much of a sacrifice for maneuverability and/or signature, or possibly progressively more and more costly beyond the realm of sanity. Or some combination of both.

It would incentivize you to take a powerplant that forces you to juggle your subsystems if you want better performance overall, which is more rewarding in the sense that it's fun and sim-ey and you get to do more as a pilot — as well as that you get a better designed machine out of the deal.

And additionally it allows you to be a chowderhead if you don't wanna juggle power levels, just by buying stock ships for chowderheads that have a huge cheap powerplant in it to do all the basic stuff at once without making you worry your lil' head off about it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: October 18, 2013, 04:29:56 PM

Hmm, I think I understood, like, 3% of your technical jargon, Samprimary, but it sounds cool  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: October 18, 2013, 06:09:24 PM

Play more EVE?  awesome, for real

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: October 19, 2013, 09:05:56 AM

A few things came out last Friday.

2944 Aurora brochure

Also, the "Lore Builder" program was started.

Hello and welcome to the first installment of LORE BUILDER, where we pick an unexplored aspect of the Star Citizen lore and develop it with the community’s help.

Not released on Friday, but a few days earlier was "Jump Point: Marine & Rifle WIP" Discusses some design and technical challenges for player models.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:10:50 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: October 21, 2013, 06:05:20 AM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: October 21, 2013, 06:30:51 AM

Last friday's "Wingman's Hangar" was mainly focused on the single-player campaign, Squadron 42. The team recently organized a few internal focus meetings about it (plus, the newly announced "Foundry 42" team in Manchester will take the head role in producing it), so while a lot of things are still up in the air, more and more stuff is being finalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHD5f1p6EOM

The conversation about S42 runs from around the 6:55 mark (with a quick review of the Manchester studio announcement); the actual Q&A session starts at 9:48 and lasts 'til the 30:20 mark.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: October 22, 2013, 10:16:12 AM

Hornet commercial is now available (just watch it in 1080p) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gZES2pTWk

DAMN, NOW WE ARE TALKING  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And here's the pledge page with all the hornet variants:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/hornet

The Specter  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Brochure:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/e89t7l6bef97hr/source/Brochure-Hornet-V8.pdf

Heart Heart Heart (but no, won't buy any...Hey, why are you laughing?!  why so serious? )

Greetings Citizens,

We are very excited to premiere the finished Anvil Aerospace Hornet commercial today, as well as the Hornet brochure. For those that caught a sneak peak of the Hornet commercial at the Citizencon event: you haven’t seen anything yet! The civilian version of the UEE’s venerable F7A Hornet, the F7C Hornet is a dedicated dogfighter capable of tangling with mercenaries, pirates, Vanduul and more.

We’re pushing the limits with Star Citizen, and this commercial is our best example yet. It’s rendered 100% in-engine in real time at 4k resolution. We scale everything for the super high resolutions that will be the basis of tomorrow’s gaming experience; our assets are designed with high polycounts instead of having details baked into their textures. That’s a big part of why NVIDIA and AMD have been demoing Star Citizen at 4k! The next generation of CPUs and GPUs will make this kind of experience possible in gameplay, and we are building Star Citizen to be ready. With the Hornet commercial, we wanted to give our backers an early look. If you have a 4k-compatible monitor, select “Original” from the video settings on YouTube (or download the 4k file directly here. ) If you don’t, 1080p is highly recommended.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:27:40 AM by Lucas »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: October 22, 2013, 11:05:30 AM

Sexey.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: October 23, 2013, 01:37:59 AM

Unsurprisingly, the Hornet sale has propelled the funding past $24M, so here's a new Letter from the Chairman:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13334-Letter-From-The-Chairman-24-Million

Greetings Citizens,

It looks like the Hornet commercial and brochure were a resounding success; the president of Anvil Aerospace should expect a bonus this quarter! In all seriousness, the community is continuing to set funding records and is allowing us to do more with Star Citizen. At $24 million, you’ve unlocked the following stretch goal:

Public Transportation System – Need to get from one place to another but don’t have a starship? We’re building a galactic transportation system. You can travel via transport from system to system in Star Citizen and even ship items (like a ship you need moved to another hangar.) With this stretch goal, we’ll expand this system: star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles!

Pictured here is a monorail car, which will be used by the player to travel from place to place on Terra! A public transportation system may not seem as sexy as a new bomber or a cruiser, but it speaks directly to the goal of making Star Citizen an immersive, world-building experience. Instead of having a simple ‘fast travel’ option like an MMORPG, Star Citizen will feature a living, breathing system to support that gameplay requirement… a system that will be impacted by the economy and player actions in all sorts of exciting ways!

We’re also revealing the $26 million goal, which I think will interest a lot of players. We have become increasingly fascinating with the possibilities for larger capital ships in Star Citizen and would like to dedicate some of the additional funding to expanding their functionality:

Enhanced Capital Ship Systems – In addition to the command and control systems we’ve already outlined, we’re going to expand capital ship functions! Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive.
Thank you for your continued support. I hope you take as much pride as I do in the fact that you aren’t only bringing back PC games and taking a shot across the bow at big publishers, you’re taking Star Citizen to new frontiers. The team at Cloud Imperium can’t wait to show you what’s next!

Finally, one small change to the Hornet rollout. We’ve had a number of requests from backers eager to purchase the limited edition Super Hornet who will not be able to do so until the end of the month. Federal employees in the United States who are just getting back to work after the recent government shutdown are especially affected. We are grateful for your passion and would like to help however possible. With this in mind, we are going to keep the Super Hornet available an extra week through Monday, November 4th. We hope that helps give all of our existing backers an opportunity to upgrade to the F7C-M!

— Chris Roberts

The $26M stretch goal sounds like FTL: Star Citizen edition  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The current funding goal ($25M) is the Enhanced Alpha:

Enhanced Alpha – We will use additional funding to build a wider alpha test than we had originally intended for the first phase of Star Citizen’s launch. The initial plan was to first launch servers in North America and then expand to areas such as Europe and Australia to decrease latency in these areas, perfecting the game as we improve the experience around the world. This funding will allow us to invest in a wider infrastructure for our early testing, spinning up remote servers earlier. Hitting this goal will also allow us to increase the number of remaining alpha slots. Extra alpha slots not only means more Star Citizens will travel the ‘verse at launch, but that we will receive more feedback and more stress testing. This in turn will allow us to better balance and enhance the Star Citizen experience!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:56:15 AM by Lucas »

Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: October 23, 2013, 05:08:09 AM

I was planning to get a Hornet before the November deadline, now I fear I will end up with 2 (partly because theres no indication the stealth armour can be put on the Super Hornet)

My complaint about this that the new Hornet packages have a different content to the existing Hornet package (Colonel) so you actually need to buy Colonel and then upgrade the ship to get that content (which means you can't get the unique content that comes with the Weekend Warrior package
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: October 23, 2013, 11:07:32 AM

Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive.

*Checks off another feature in my fantasy MMG design doc that SC is actually attempting.*

- Henry Cobb
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #549 on: October 23, 2013, 04:14:41 PM

I was planning to get a Hornet before the November deadline, now I fear I will end up with 2 (partly because theres no indication the stealth armour can be put on the Super Hornet)

My complaint about this that the new Hornet packages have a different content to the existing Hornet package (Colonel) so you actually need to buy Colonel and then upgrade the ship to get that content (which means you can't get the unique content that comes with the Weekend Warrior package
What is this about?  I just assumed I was good because I bought a Hornet months ago.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: October 23, 2013, 05:13:08 PM

Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive.

*Checks off another feature in my fantasy MMG design doc that SC is actually attempting.*

You didn't play FTL?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: October 23, 2013, 06:01:17 PM

You didn't play FTL?

I did. If I understand your implication, the difference is that SC is multiplayer, and has 3D ship interiors. So theoretically, you could be dispatching NPC bots to bring inoperative systems back online, while enemy players shoot up the interiors of your ship.

- Henry Cobb
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: October 23, 2013, 07:06:47 PM

Theoretically this will be the greatest game of all time.

But I'll stick with FTL for now.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #553 on: October 23, 2013, 08:51:35 PM

Theoretically this might become a game at some point.

Fixed.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:55 PM

If it's green it's green, no need for a second coat.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #555 on: October 23, 2013, 09:47:27 PM

Theoretically this will be the greatest game of all time.

But I'll stick with FTL for now.

I can't wait for player housing and furniture crafting + imports.
Silver cutleries for my table too.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: October 24, 2013, 12:15:15 AM

Silver cutleries for my table too.

And double-quilted paper for my toilet.

- Henry Cobb
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #557 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:28 AM

Ikea, in space. Player owned shopping malls take ur family out for shopping today at the milky way!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: October 24, 2013, 05:31:56 AM

What is this about?  I just assumed I was good because I bought a Hornet months ago.

The Hornet you have is the stock F7C they introduced 3 variants. Unfortunately the Hornet specs shows for the last year on the ship spec page (which they always said were subject to change) appear to have been for the military F7A version.

Tracker: The AWACS of Star Citizen
Ghost: The Stealth fighter of Star Citizen
Super Hornet: The closest to military spec you can legally buy (has a second seat and comes with the top turret)

You really need to check out the new Hornet PDF for all the details and differences https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/e89t7l6bef97hr/source/Brochure-Hornet-V8.pdf

I had it confirmed yesterday that the new Hornet variant packages do not contain the physical items the existing Hornet package (Colonel) does and only the time-limited Weekend warrior package contains the side arm (if you care about such things) but you can upgrade your existing Hornet relatively cheaply (something like $15 if you want the stealth version).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:34 AM

I think you are talking about the original backer packages VS. the new ones.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: