Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 942940 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:58 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: October 03, 2013, 02:31:04 PM

Just saying "it's not feature creep" doesn't make it not feature creep.

Not only are they adding new systems they are redoing already implemented ones. That's feature creep.

If they honestly believed they were going to raise $23 million from a publisher they would have budgeted that way from the start. (Let's be real - that was never ever going to happen)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:34:08 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #492 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:56 PM

Hehe, interesting conversations going on (I already expressed the "why's" I spent that much money, no matter the still aleatory nature of the project), but like I said before, can't wait for the even more interesting ones that will take place in two or three months when the dogfighting module (both PvP and against AI) comes out, even if, just like the hangar, it's going to represent just a single "slice" of the cake.

It will be an unbalanced, laggy triumph, with droves of fans expressing their rage no matter how many times you put on the "reminder: just a pre-pre-alpha!" label. Goood times ahead, yep, you'll get all the gameplay you want (while not being the whole picture)  :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #493 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

I hope this game succeed, space shooters are awesome and an under-represented genre.

That being said Mrbloodworth's posts remind me of Butters from South Park. So innocent and trusting!  Heart

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:01 PM

Schemes designed to maximize risk and potential massive disappointment for consumers by taking advantage of the fertile imaginations of those consumers, while ensuring that companies that make big promises are well-rewarded even if they create lousy games. The final quality of the product becomes almost irrelevant compared to the quality of the pitch.

In a nutshell.

At least I realise the $500 (What...) I put into Hex I know is as like to be a huge disaster as not. That some are throwing more money into things like this with the idea that it's going to be a great game fait accompli is the worry. Delusional people respond poorly.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: October 04, 2013, 06:40:46 PM

This is awesome: ( Check the other screenshot too )

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #496 on: October 04, 2013, 08:19:06 PM

I like it. :) Reminds me of the classic Privateer.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: October 05, 2013, 08:35:41 AM

That image invokes some cool thoughts in my head about landing somewhere, going to the bar and scanning the room for criminals. Also feels like a clever way to make the GUI not consume your screen all the time.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: October 05, 2013, 10:38:59 AM

This is awesome: ( Check the other screenshot too )

I wasn't aware concept artwork was considered screenshots.....
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: October 05, 2013, 10:44:36 AM

My bad.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #500 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:51 AM

This whole process as it continues to drag on and more shit is sold and more features are added (hella feature creep saying otherwise proves how blinded you are by your investment btw) makes me want to play this game less and less.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:58:05 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: October 07, 2013, 05:32:29 PM

If only ideas and concept art and imagination was actually a game...
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: October 08, 2013, 07:49:28 AM

$21 million reached, "Salvage" mechanic is in:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13305-Letter-From-The-Chairman-21-Million

Next stretch goal (22M) is a technology one, the "Facial Capture System":

"Facial Capture System. We’ve researched a technology that uses a series of cameras to capture real heads and import them into the game. This will let the team more easily create a variety of realistic characters. In addition, the technology is mobile enough to allow us to take it on the road and capture select fans during special events! You can learn more about this technology at Infinite-Realities."
---

As described in the Letter From the Chairman link, the 23 million goal sounds VERY cool, because we'll get quite a different looking ship that will require a different approach when it comes to maneuvers (some little more details about this in the Letter)

Xi’an Scout Unlocked! The Khartu is the light attack craft of the Xi’An military. Contrary to Human ship design, the Khartu doesn’t have a traditional main thruster, instead featuring an array of maneuvering thrusters on articulated rigs. This design allows for incredible agility, making them the bane of UEE pilots, who bestowed the nickname ‘Quark’ because when all of the thrusters are firing, the ship looks like a spark flying through space. The Xi’an Aopoa corporation also manufactures an export model, the Khartu-al, for sale to human civilians as a dedicated scout/explorer. The export model features the same Xi’an maneuvering rig, but control surfaces modified for human use and a more limited armament. (Designer: Aopoa)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
WayAbvPar

Reply #503 on: October 09, 2013, 11:01:28 AM

This whole process as it continues to drag on and more shit is sold and more features are added (hella feature creep saying otherwise proves how blinded you are by your investment btw) makes me want to play this game less and less.

You're in luck! It won't be playable until your grandkids are ready for it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: October 09, 2013, 03:10:02 PM

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13310-Citizen-Con-2013-Live-Stream

1 year anniversary livestream will start tomorrow (October 10th) at 6.30pm CST; it's expected to last about one hour and unveil some new stuff. They will probably stream on twitch, and directly link it to the game website. Anyway, this should be the channel on Twitch:

http://www.twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1

Is your wallet ready?  Raspberry
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:11:41 PM by Lucas »

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:54 AM

For this? I'll wait for a digital sale when it's playable.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: October 10, 2013, 07:31:14 AM

Heh, releasing the game would be anticlimactic; it appears profitable to just have a 2-4 year string of stretch goals and talking ABOUT the game, then switch to 4 years of stretch goals for version 2.0 or the sequel or whatever, and just keep on going, with the aim to release whatever version is perfect.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:33:09 AM by ajax34i »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: October 10, 2013, 10:30:56 AM

I think smerek dmart already tried that.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #508 on: October 10, 2013, 12:55:25 PM

Can someone, like Lucas or Bloodworth, explain this to me and reassure me that Star Citizen REALLY is not turning into Scientology (You know, brain washing video sessions and all that)?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:11 PM

That appears to be a test. The stream does not happen for another 3 hours.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: October 10, 2013, 02:19:24 PM

That appears to be a test. The stream does not happen for another 3 hours.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:40 PM

Tinfoil Hat
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: October 10, 2013, 03:28:45 PM

Cthulu

Livestream link on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HvfFCysYU

Looks like they'll be on air a little earlier (30 minutes as I write this), while the actual "event" will still start half an hour later.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:14 AM

f13 like to hate (no surprise there). Healthy skepticism is one thing  but blind jealousy is negativity is another. This game looks very very promising, more promising than most other things actually . It  appears  good vision, good funding ,good art direction and modellers,  sane goals (their scope is actually not that big and they smart enough so that they are making lobby based game with central database instead of worldly MMO) , good technical side (all the things they revealed so far are good  that is hangar demo and website itself (which is bigger part of the project than many here think))

Now having said all that -this is just a project in development. There is a LOOOONG way to go before it can actually become a finished product and all kind of bad things can derail it. From what I seen I am convinced enough in its success though that if I could I would invest in it. However giving them free money in form of kickstart/buying merchandise is just that- "giving them free money".  These guys are poised to make a boatloads of cash if they succeed. If they dont - well they not losing much either.  However if they succeed that might actually prove that crowdfunding is viable for large projects without direct investors involvment.
except in this case shareholders are not getting anything in return and its done over the internet
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:31:09 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: October 11, 2013, 01:21:41 AM

jealousy

You keep using that word but I don't think it means what you think it means.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: October 11, 2013, 03:03:18 AM

And for another 10 million, we'll bring in Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: October 11, 2013, 03:50:10 AM

So, the livestream quality during the event was awful, very choppy, but now you can see the recorded version in all its glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5YJDOwil0k

It lasts for 1h 22m.

Highlights:

- The first 10 minutes is basically a recap of the first year;
- Then, they proceed presenting their internal team, split by departments (design, programming, art). Starting roughly at 20:56, you can see a lot of very cool outfit concept art for the various careers. The second "Female Bounty Hounter sketch" is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

- First look at Gladiator (bomber ship) concept art, now on sale, along with the other (heavy) bomber the Retaliator (shown later in the stream), also on sale 'til monday; the former costs $150 (€120), the latter $250 (€200) ;

- After that, the next several minutes (starting at about 29:08) are dedicated to the various studio partners that cover planetside art, planetside in-engine integration, environments, web infrastructure. We get a glimpse at a lot of planetside locations, internal environments where you'll find the markets, lounges and so on. Looks like they're knee-deep in pouring out a lot of them.

- One of the most interesting part start around 45:05. During the web team presentation, we get a first look at how SC "Organizations" (Guilds) will work outside the game. Then, they actually go in detail during the event, starting at 48:46. It looks AMAZINGLY detailed, with great potential ;

- Then, The Next Great Starship competition (there's a video at the provided link) ;

Creating ultra-detailed spaceships is the heart of Star Citizen’s development.

From concept to final texturing, a ship can take teams of expert designers months to create
the level of graphical fidelity and detail that have become hallmarks of the Star Citizen universe. Now Chris Roberts and his team of visual designers are looking to the community for the next great team of ship designs.

16 Finalist teams exit one by one until there is one Grand Prize winner honored with the addition of their spaceship into Chris Roberts’ new space epic, Star Citizen. Not to mention a $30,000 cash prize, a swag of other goodies and the first winning ships off the production press for each team members’ Hangar!

Whether or not you participate, subscribe to RSI’s YouTube channel to watch the drama unfold and see who can build Star Citizen’s Next Great Starship.

The weekly webcast show will kick off with sixteen finalist teams at 11am PST on January 31st 2014, which is when the specs will be released to each team for the main challenge; The Next Great Spaceship!

These sixteen teams of finalists will have to conceptualize, design, model, animate and rig their model while submitting their progress for weekly review by a panel of science fiction’s leading concept artists, designers and celebrities, along with the man himself, Chris Roberts.

Each successful challenge, takes you one step closer to the grand prize. Failure means you go ‘home’. In the end, the last two teams will be flown to Los Angeles to compete live in front of the judges and the community on June 8 2014, for the grand prize: $30,000, their ship incorporated into the Star Citizen universe, cool swag, and the title of...

The Next Great Starship.

- Erin Roberts (Chris' brother, who worked with him back at Origin on the Wing Commanders and Privateers and also on Starlancer at Digital Anvil) has joined Cloud Imperium, and will oversee the new team in Manchester, which will primarily engaged in the single-player game, Squadron 42  (1:04:48 - 1:07:30) ;

- Another look at the Hangar Module (1:08:09 - 1:11:50), specifically at the latest iteration (will be patched later today), where we'll be able to try out one of the privateer outfit, take a look at the recently implemented fish tank but, most of all, the Avenger ship, finally in-engine, and it looks VERY sleek (looks like I'll have to wait some more for my Origin M50 :/ ) ;

- Last but not least, Hornet brochure and commercial announced!! The video was shown and, along with the brochure, it will uploaded later today on the website. Beside the currently available Hornet, they're going to sell its variants too. From what I read, the version of the commercial is still not the final one, but it already looks fantastic  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  (1:16:30 - 1:20:06) .

Whew, that should be it :)

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: October 11, 2013, 07:59:40 AM

Youtube shut down the live stream due to them singing "Happy birthday".  Ohhhhh, I see.

The presentation came off to me as more of a stock holder update, which, I guess is appropriate.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:02:30 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #518 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:53 AM

- First look at Gladiator (bomber ship) concept art, now on sale, along with the other (heavy) bomber the Retaliator (shown later in the stream), also on sale 'til monday; the former costs $150 (€120), the latter $250 (€200) ;

I'm going to be over in this corner.  It'll look like I'm laughing, but I'm really crying that I didn't think of this scam first.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: October 12, 2013, 01:45:30 PM

One hour twenty minute live stream with no gameplay to speak of. But hey, here are new ways you can spend money!

Sounds about right.

The presentation came off to me as more of a stock holder update, which, I guess is appropriate.

Makes sense because when you "invest" you get stock!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #520 on: October 12, 2013, 03:12:49 PM

So, the livestream quality during the event was awful, very choppy, but now you can see the recorded version in all its glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5YJDOwil0k

That shit looks like an Amway meeting.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: October 13, 2013, 09:24:04 AM

That shit looks like an Amway meeting.

But 400€ for hopes, feels really really strange disturbing even to me. At this rate, we might as well give Scientology a try. Have you heard about their sci-fi vision of the universe? It is no less ambitious than Chris Roberts', and apparently makes you feel really happy after you've spent enough money on it.

Almost forgot, "How to fake you are nice and caring". Even the lighting is oddly similar. Weird choice for a videogame presentation.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:28:42 AM by Falconeer »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #522 on: October 13, 2013, 03:19:13 PM

I'm definitely going to get my money's worth on this game.

Because there's so many people hellbent on investing far more than the game's experience could possibly be worth, just to start with some otherwise perfectly attainable shiny.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: October 14, 2013, 06:29:27 AM

Some news from the weekend:

$22 Million reached (now halfway to 23, the Xi'an alien flyable ship) :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13317-22-Million-And-Hangar-Patch-Live
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

So, here's the 24 Million stretch goal:

Public Transportation System – Need to get from one place to another but don’t have a starship? We’re building a galactic transportation system. You can travel via transport from system to system in Star Citizen and even ship items (like a ship you need moved to another hangar.) With this stretch goal, we’ll expand this system: star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles!

I think it's going to be a mixture between automated flying paths (the whole "gettin' into the transport" part will be done just for immersion/RPG sake) and manual flying, as hinted by the last part of the sentence ("flyable shuttles"). Regarding ship items, I think that the basic system works in a way that, if you leave stuff around you have to go back and forth between planet/systems in order to recover it (overloaded cargo bay, multiple ships, etc.); with the Public Transportation system, you might be able to move your things around while being in a single place (but, who knows, itmight take real time hours, not unlike some Eve mechanics).

- In other news, the new Hornet brochure, sale and final cut of the commercial video have been moved to next friday in order to polish everything up:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13314-Happy-Birthday-Star-Citizen

Last night, I showed a preview of the Hornet commercial. I explained that this release wasn’t just coming in hot, it was laser-scorched and burning. In fact, we downloaded the cut of the commercial you saw as I was presenting. I was expecting to release the finished commercial and brochure today, along with a promotion putting Hornet variants on sale. Unfortunately, they just aren’t ready yet. I want the Hornet release to be perfect, with a proper sound mix in the commercial and Hornet variants you can immediately interact with in your hangar. That won’t happen if we rushed to get them out today, so I’m delaying the Hornet release until next Friday. Check back then to learn all about the best dogfighter in the UEE fleet. If you would like to see the unfinished commercial, it will remain available in the recording of last night’s event; an improved version with enhanced audio is coming soon.

New Aurora (SC "entry" ship) variant on sale (along with simple upgrades for anyone who previously purchased another Aurora Model): the 2944 Legionnaire. Video:

http://vimeo.com/76735257

Aurora pledge section:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/aurora
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:32:29 AM by Lucas »

Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: October 15, 2013, 05:22:32 AM

Does anyone have a link to the unfinished Hornet video?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: