Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938286 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #420 on: September 24, 2013, 03:00:08 PM

Edit: Also, I am tired of doubting and hating on every single thing as if it is the only vogue option for treating new things and ideas.

Thumbs up!

You have to earn respect when all preceding shops in your field have shit the bed or failed to deliver on any of their promises.  This is doubly-so in game development where 'professionals' routinely act like man-children with no sense of scope or ability to deliver on even the least of promises.

It isn't hating on something or acting trendy and vogue to say, "fuck that's a lot of promises that are not being delivered, shown or even outlined beyond a paragraph a hopped-up high school senior could write."  The bigger the promise, the more proof needed, to paraphrase.

Nor is it hating on to say, "fanbois will fund whatever it is that might fill that particular need hole."  Con artists have done that for centuries.

If it were a design document or a conversation or even a pitch with no promise, ok.  When you're actively selling shit to the tune of millions of dollars with no demonstrable product?  Yeah, you're going to get rightfully squeezed.  Put up or shut up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: September 24, 2013, 03:36:11 PM

Question, because it kinda relates to the house buying nonsense in Shroud of the Avatar:

Are y'all paying into this because of personal game play desires? Or is it because you're hoping for an early land rush that inflates resale value of whatever you're buying?

I have loved Chris Roberts games since I played the first one, especially Privater and Freelancer. I have been looking for modern rendition of them for decades now. I don't spend my time in games worrying what others have. The description of this game is where I thought freelancer would go, it almost did. So I'm more then willing to spend a few bucks to fund it. Hes got a proven track record.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #422 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:32 PM

I'm going to take the underdog, unpopular position and say that this will be a good*,✝ game.

* Good game wherein the only other similar game to compare against is EvE.
✝ Good game only when compared to other MMOs, which are 90% worthless disasters.

This will be as good as EvE within two years after its launch.  "That's a very low bar you're setting Miasma", yes I agree.  On the other hand EvE is the worst MMO I have ever played and also the only one I have ever purchased three accounts to run concurrently on for years...  It is hard to explain.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: September 24, 2013, 03:40:24 PM

Have they explained how the money is being spent, and what's the timetable, and how well the actual development has stuck to that? I'm far too lazy to search myself.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: September 24, 2013, 03:42:33 PM

Have they explained how the money is being spent, and what's the timetable, and how well the actual development has stuck to that? I'm far too lazy to search myself.

Yes. But no spreadsheet for you to look at, no. If you pay attention to the updates, and developer posts they do talk about where the money has gone. I linked a while ago some info about the motion capture.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #425 on: September 24, 2013, 04:14:28 PM

Question, because it kinda relates to the house buying nonsense in Shroud of the Avatar:

Are y'all paying into this because of personal game play desires? Or is it because you're hoping for an early land rush that inflates resale value of whatever you're buying?

I echo what Bloodworth posted in relation to your question. I just want to fund the game because I think Chris Roberts will be able to deliver about 90% of what he's promising. Personally, I couldn't care less about having those ships in advance, especially because anyone will eventually be able to earn them in-game; but hey, through them (with the related packages) you're funding the game, so why not? They look pretty  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: September 24, 2013, 04:35:28 PM

I have loved Chris Roberts games since I played the first one, especially Privater and Freelancer. I have been looking for modern rendition of them for decades now. I don't spend my time in games worrying what others have. The description of this game is where I thought freelancer would go, it almost did. So I'm more then willing to spend a few bucks to fund it. Hes got a proven track record.

Cool. I kinda wish I still had any level of faith. But I do like they've raised so much money that if they do decide to go to a publisher, they've got a lot more valuable proof of interest to show for it than some quantitative polling smiley

I've long wanted someone to get take this kind of game seriously. It''s been so long since anyone has. I'm glad people are so willing to fund it. Gives me hope I can reap the rewards of their faith. I'll happily cheer their huge ass ships from my piddly runabout if they helped fund something I love but had too little faith to take a bet on wink
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: September 24, 2013, 05:04:45 PM

There is a bit of a misconception going around about the "stretch goals".

The original plan was to raise 2 million using crowd funding, and use the number of people pledged, and money to secure funding to 23 million. Using a publisher, or investors.

Now, additional funding is out. They have no need of a publisher or investors. Its completely funded by pledges ( You are pledging when you "buy" ships, you are not buying ships per say )

However, in both cases, and from day one, the "design doc" has not changed or added anything. I think its the term stretch goals that is the issue. Nothing, at any milestone they have announced, was not originally planed under the first funding plan, well before he even made the original pitch at GDC. Nothing new has been added. All items were already budgeted according to RSI. Obviously details in prices and such can vary and no budget can ever account for everything, including savings.

Now, you could argue that that doc as a whole is ambitious, and you will get no argument from anyone, including RSI. But there is no Feature creep. According to RSI.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:20:09 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #428 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

This is not going to be important to the future of crowdsourcing at all. Zero, none.

I genuinely can't see how it wouldn't!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: September 25, 2013, 06:05:28 AM

Sam: this will have no impact on crowdsourcing in general. Maybe it affects the next former space sim developer who tries to sell a decade-old experience to develop a new space sim. But that's only if it targets the very same people inspired by this particular game. smiley

And thanks for the clarification BW.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:18 AM

Eh, two video games is $120.  This guy iisn't some complete unknown.  If this is your thing, then I can see it.

Like I said before giving money on kick starter is essentially funding their projects at your expense. its brilliant buisiness model - all the money they got have no strings attached, if they make any profits its all theirs. if they fail -well tough luck,its still not their money. It makes no sense whatsoever   - unless that end user is actually emotionally invested in it and doesnt care about financial side at all (e.g a fan)

The project looks like it has potential to rake in tons of cash with already solid fan base and actually competent development team. If anything I would be jumping to buy the shares of Roberts company (if it was public) as it is its pretty stupid to give more free money to him so he can potentially make even more profits . this game is not a pipe dream projects - its a business
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #431 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:43 AM

It's a business where everybody wins if it turns out to be good. I happily exchange money for fulfilling digital fun.

If it turns out to be shitty, well, we are the only one losing and that's why I am happy to fund it but I refuse to overfund it *at this stage*, based on nothing but words.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:05 AM

My problem is that Kickstarter is at its heart 100% exploitative, and the larger a project is, the less likely it is that the people behind it aren't aware of it and using it as leverage.   
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:50 AM

Chris Roberts will make a special appearance during today's AMD GPU 14 Product Showcase, which will be livestreamed on Youtube in about 2h50m:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13281-AMD-GPU-14-Product-Showcase-Livestream

Direct link on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHfmM6QYWNM

On the forums, one of the Devs said:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/916393/#Comment_916393

Let's just say all our offices have been working hard to support this presentation.

Maybe just a new trailer, or finally a glimpse of real gameplay, involving the "baddies" of the SC universe (at least in the single-player campaing), the Vanduul, given that yesterday the event was announced by another newspost containing a couple pieces of Vanduul concept art:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13280-AMD-Livestream-And-Press-Roundup

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #434 on: September 25, 2013, 04:49:05 PM

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: September 25, 2013, 05:13:14 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: September 25, 2013, 05:31:46 PM

Yeah, it's basically a remix plus the takeoff of the Aurora spaceship and some very brief space footage of it from an "external" cam.

What's more interesting is the fact that during the presentation Roberts said that they will soon (on 10th October) reveal a lot more about the modding options of SC, which should bring a lot of life to the private servers scene.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: September 26, 2013, 02:45:11 PM

So, today Star Citizen reached the $20 Million pledge level, and what a coincidence: as noted by Chris Roberts in the usual "Letter from the Chairman" post, today also marks the 13th anniversary of the PC release of Wing Commander (26th September 1990).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million

Beside the new stretch goal (Facial Capture System technology), the most interesting part is about the "feature creep" concerns, that Roberts directly address:

Quite excited about the FPS part, looks likey they're going to create outsource instanced scenarios, maybe not so unlike the just announced "shiphand" missions of Wildstar (obviously without the typical MMO mechanics, I guess).

Ok, now I can't wait to show you the astonishing fishtank as soon as they patch it in  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? (and btw, in the final poll, I voted for Lounge, Couch/Sectional and "Paint the Walls"...yeah, I know you were very curious about it :P)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:46:42 PM by Lucas »

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: September 26, 2013, 06:23:35 PM

So, wait, they're going to launch the game, and then continue to have additional stretch goals for fixes, patches, and expansions?  So is it subscription + stretch goal donations?  Or is it F2P + cash shop + stretch goal donations?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: September 26, 2013, 06:39:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it's them taking every ounce of goodwill and hoping people are so invested they keep paying.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:48 AM

No subscription, it's a model akin to GW2, but also with the addition of the single-player (that you can also play multiplayer/co-op) campaign, "Squadron 42". There is also at least one extra SP campaign planned, like in the old Wing Commader games (shorter than the main one), but I think it won't be free once the game goes live. There will be a cash shop as well.

Personally, if the game is successful enough, I think they will just keep donations open even after launch.
---

Nice piece of concept art (planetside station), I hope there will be a in-engine version :)

The ships should be the Avenger (left) and the...Hmm, Origin 325a (right)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:54:26 AM by Lucas »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #441 on: September 27, 2013, 05:16:18 AM

I've kept donations open since my launch, but I don't get many contributions.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: September 27, 2013, 06:53:10 AM

You need to post a sizzle reel. duh.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: September 27, 2013, 07:11:02 AM

Star Citizen - A promise

Fan Explanation of why he backed.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: September 27, 2013, 12:33:23 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: September 30, 2013, 09:10:20 AM

So, one of the latest news post on the official site caused a lot of fuss on the official forums and beyond. It's a clarification about the currently available "game packages" and how they (will) relate to your character in-game. It's quite an important read for anyone interested in the game (or just in the development process) :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13288-Multiple-Package-Clarification

In short, 1 package = 1 character . You'll have to shell out more money if you want to obtain the "privilege" of having ALTs on the same account. Through the in-game store/cash shop (called "Voyager Direct") they'll eventually let you buy a "basic" character slot, wihout money or ships. There is also the whole "crewmen" aspect that will play a part in all of this (again, read the above mentioned post when you have 2 minutes)
------

It's an evolving situation, at least as far as "clarifications" go, infact Chris Roberts posted a couple follow-up messages (also recommended):

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/936613/#Comment_936613

Then, this one:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/937387/#Comment_937387

So, cash grab or not?

Well, personally, taking into account the "whole picture" of the project, I don't think so: currently, if you purchase the lowest package ("Digital Scout"), and if you believe in their assessment about the possibility of earning anything else in-game (in due and longer time, of course), you get:

- Full single player game
- Full Star Citizen

In other words, for 30 bucks you purchase two games, both not exactly a short 8 hours experience, so in the end I find it acceptable. The sandbox element is also another thing to keep in mind: it means not necessarily staying behind the so called "leveling" or economic curve (yeah, beside the fact there won't be levels) even if you consider yourself a "competitive" type of player, so you should find some enjoyment for quite some time before shelling additional money through the in-game shop or other external purchases.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:00 AM

You don't understand:  without alts, you cannot transfer your shit over, TO KEEP IT, when you decide to recycle your character and start a new one from scratch cause you don't like your face or you don't like the last choice you made in your career or whatever.

Also, I thought the quote said $60 from EA for the box (single player game), so the $30 for "two games" would be on top of that, no?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:29 AM

One assumes at some point you can just buy alts for your account. All this pertains to people who bought extra pledge packages, excluding add-ons, who want to roll those all into one account.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:20:46 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: September 30, 2013, 11:19:26 AM

For my situation, at the moment it's a good deal: my current "character" has four ships; through my account page, I can decide to redeem the credits for them (plus other items I purchased) and then proceed to buy other packages/character slots.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:47:27 AM by Lucas »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: September 30, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

This thread scares me a little. It's like being on suicide watch.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #450 on: October 01, 2013, 02:22:57 AM

I need to brighten this up somehow with some well-picked gif and memes.
I'm always good with those.
Fu fu fu. :3

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: October 01, 2013, 02:49:52 AM

Shocking twist: The game is monetized as aggressively as possible.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:18 AM

This game is now officially a textbook definition of putting the cart before the horse. Or it might be that giving Chris Roberts money is the game.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: October 01, 2013, 06:45:20 AM

Or you know, the company just wants to make sure there is a system in place that lets them all keep their jobs...

How dare those sons of bitches try to monetize their labor of love.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: October 01, 2013, 07:01:53 AM

*shrug*

If by alienating people like me they make more money from the ones who are left, then more power to them. But I'm not going to pretend I like this trend of crowd sourcing/exploitation.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: