Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:32:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938269 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: September 01, 2013, 09:55:00 AM

If it is not supposed to be a cash shop, why is it a cash shop?

It's one of those shops that let you buy things for cash, or earn the currency via playing the game.  Of course, since you can't actually earn currency yet because there is no game.. it is just a cash shop.  awesome, for real
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: September 01, 2013, 10:07:03 AM

Even if there was a game, the fact you can buy things for cash makes it a cash shop.  Glad I avoided this one. awesome, for real
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: September 01, 2013, 10:28:15 AM

God what a perversion this game is, cash shop before gameplay.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #318 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:47 AM

I am really, really curious to see how long the honeymoon phase will last here.

first explanation text to fans concerned about cashgrabby stuff means that the countdown clock is ON
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: September 01, 2013, 01:17:55 PM

Choose the option most important to you for Voyager Direct:

A  I think the Voyager Direct items are overpriced! Please reduce them by at least 50%.  = 29%

B  Provide us with a testing system now in the form of Test UECs or temporary test items rather than wait for it to be implemented in the dogfighting module.   =23%

C  I would rather have the cosmetic items in the pledge store for real money instead of UEC.  = 5%

D Now you’ve explained this, I’m ok with the current set up. = 43%

Total Votes: 10,219

Star Citizens: 239,314

As of this posting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:19:31 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #320 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:21 PM

I need to make an RMT game and disguise With a fine coating of nicely-polished bullshit.

This entire thing is eXXXtreme absurdity.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: September 01, 2013, 04:04:24 PM

I finally got into the thing. I like that the Freelancer is so cramped that my avatar has to turn his shoulders sideways to get up and down the boarding ramp. Also, the ship's console UIs appear highly reminiscent of the early Wing Commanders.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: September 02, 2013, 10:39:43 AM

Most of the talk on the forums is about the freelancer foreword windows. So, not really any scandal here.

I finally got into the thing. I like that the Freelancer is so cramped that my avatar has to turn his shoulders sideways to get up and down the boarding ramp. Also, the ship's console UIs appear highly reminiscent of the early Wing Commanders.

YES, I am quite loving the freelancer. There is even a non-used-as-of-yet-turret in the back cargo hold in the roof. I Do wonder what the two seats behind the pilot and copilot are for, and the one in the cargo hold.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #323 on: September 02, 2013, 12:49:14 PM

Ok, I finally got a bit of time to try it out. A couple screenshots (hopefully better ones to come later):

My business hangar (it lacks the Origin M50, which is not ready for release, yet):

A view of the ORIGIN 315p

Freelancer:

Entering the Freelancer cockpit:

Also, two tips:

- turn off the excessive motion blur: open the console with the tilde key, and type "r_motion blur 0" (without the quotes)

- If your resolution isn't listed in the game settings (like 1920x1200, in my case), add the following lines to StarCitizen\CitizenClient\Data\game.cfg (any position inside the file) :

r_width = [insert your width value]
r_height = [insert your height value]

While running the Module, my graphic card is all

While I'm all , but everything seems fine, although I'm sure this pre-alpha won't disappoint and I'll manage to melt down everything soon enough.

(but yeah, as expected, my i7-920, 6GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 560 is struggling quite a bit)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: September 02, 2013, 08:53:44 PM

How much did this mind-blowing experience cost you?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36:59 AM

So far, I've spent € 395, which I consider the money I pledged for the full experience (S42 + Star Citizen). The hangar is just something nice they decided to release in advance. To each his own crazyness.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #326 on: September 03, 2013, 03:01:45 AM

I pledged 40$. What do I have less than you?

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #327 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:18 AM

395 euros.
Goddamn.
Full experience.
HJ, CI, CIF, BJ, BBJ, and the works.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: September 03, 2013, 05:46:47 AM

(but yeah, as expected, my i7-920, 6GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 560 is struggling quite a bit)

"as expected"? 560 is pretty damn nice card i frankly wouldnt expect it to "struggle". good thing release is 2 years away  as I still run everything on gtx465 and i5
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: September 03, 2013, 05:57:01 AM

I am the first one to get excited about the dream of future games I might like, and that's why I contributed to this one too. But damn, Star Citizen is evolving (very quickly) into a religion, its fans rabid zealots eager to empty their pockets to the feet of the prophet, who graces them with digital promises.

We'll see.

But 400€ for hopes, feels really really strange disturbing even to me. At this rate, we might as well give Scientology a try. Have you heard about their sci-fi vision of the universe? It is no less ambitious than Chris Roberts', and apparently makes you really happy after you've spent enough money on it.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: September 03, 2013, 05:57:47 AM

How much have you spent on Hex?

I am the first one to get excited about the dream of future games I might like, and that's why I contributed to this one too. But damn, Star Citizen is evolving (very quickly) into a religion, its fans rabid zealots eager to empty their pockets to the feet of the prophet, who graces them with digital promises.

6,000 new pledges were added yesterday. However I'm not sure where your getting this "zealots" impression from, official forums are mostly civil, Or are you just shocked how many people have pledged?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:00:12 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #331 on: September 03, 2013, 06:19:44 AM

But 400€ for hopes, feels really really strange disturbing even to me. At this rate, we might as well give Scientology a try. Have you heard about their sci-fi vision of the universe? It is no less ambitious than Chris Roberts', and apparently makes you really happy after you've spent enough money on it.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: September 03, 2013, 06:39:30 AM

We'll see.

Chris Roberts delivers though, even if its a virtual spaceships for exorbitant amount of money .... unlike  some other projects....

he promised to make a space sim  game with multiplayer features in wing commander universe (well pretty much)  with attentions to details and good graphics.  he also actually meets his projects milestones with regular updates  and released modules. You might think space sim is not worth it - its totally fine , most people dont think its worth , however for some its worth the pledge (whether $10 or 1000$) , so I dont get all the hate. or do I? and its just jealousy
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #333 on: September 03, 2013, 06:51:19 AM

The only thing I don't like about this project is that the universe and the lore is designed around mirroring the twilight of the roman empire

which, for someone with an education about that timeframe of history, makes all the elements of the universe really oblique and the future progression of the game environment patently obvious. Sol is Rome itself. It will fall.

It will, in fact, be .... sacked by the Vanduuls.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: September 03, 2013, 06:53:50 AM

so I dont get all the hate

For me it's just a game with a scope that seems incredibly difficult to achieve AND we've seen game after game which during development promises large scopes fail to actually deliver on that scope.  I'd pay good money for a game which actually delivers on what this game is promising, I just can't understand why people believe so fervently that this is the one that is going to make good on its promises.

I'm willing to put money into projects.  I did so with Hex, but I did so with Hex because the game it is trying to be is basically already proven.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: September 03, 2013, 06:59:29 AM

Have you paid attention to all the updates about development? as in, been following along. I personally, and likely others, get a good impression from them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:01:09 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:31 AM

40 bucks, I don't have any regrets. I was going to buy it anyways even if it was bad.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: September 03, 2013, 07:11:38 AM

so I dont get all the hate. or do I? and its just jealousy

I knew you weren't bright, but I wasn't aware you were a complete idiot.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: September 03, 2013, 07:20:24 AM

Have you paid attention to all the updates about development? as in, been following along. I personally, and likely others, get a good impression from them.

I've been getting regular updates from a friend who is big into it, watched videos, etc..  My main problem is that I have seen only minimal gameplay in extremely controlled environments.  I know the game is pre-alpha.  I'll be happy to jump on the bandwagon once I see what this thing is going to be like on a moment to moment basis and it looks good.  But the majority of hype I've seen seems based on the assumption that this is the sandbox game we've been waiting for.  I'm simply not convinced yet that it actually is. 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: September 03, 2013, 08:14:52 AM

Yeah, in a couple years or more I might feel like a complete idiot (or yeah, feel free to say that I'm already an idiot, ok :P) because of the amount of money I spent for this game project. You guys are completely right when you talk about "proven" vs. "unproven" models (TCG vs. MMO/Multiplayer space sim), but as you know, the KS (or any derivative form of it) model applied to videogames (but not only them) is pretty much a "leap of faith", which yeah, in the end may result in a collapse of the model itself, at least when applied to this genre, because of plenty broken promises and half-assed realizations.

Meanwhile, let's leave to each one of us the decision on how much this "leap" will cost (personal budget, trust in the developer, passion for the sub-genre, etc.).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: September 03, 2013, 08:50:15 AM

Lucas, you are not the idiot. That was for DarkMadMax.

Anyway, my only question to you would be "why 400€? What do 400€ get you that you are afraid of missing on in the eventuality that the game turns out good?". It's a honest question, maybe because no one had a chance to test it yet, or because there's no gameplay video, maybe because 400€ is about eight to eighty other games on Steam, maybe because I really am not sure if I understood the business model of Star Citizen and I really don't know what you get with 400$ that the 40$ people won't be able to get just by playing. Seriously, this is not about pledging 10$, 40$, 120$. This is about over 400$, and I am just trying to understand why. Why not happily "leap" while staying in the realm of "reasonable"? What is MrBloodworth missing on with his 150$ that you are instead getting with your 520$ (converted from the 395€ you said you pledged).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:51:48 AM by Falconeer »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:51 AM

Yeah, yeah, I know you weren't directing that to me, it was just my own definition while reasoning on the subject :)

Answer to your question (actually, the second part of your question) : absolutely nothing, beside some extra virtual goods that the developers assured anyone will be able to get in-game anyway. The difference, here, is really that I'm just willing to shell to some overseas developers an above average amount of money in order to fund their project, that's it.

And yes, I realize a lot of people might feel it's not "right" or altogether stupid to feel ok about it like I'm doing, but at this point I guess we should just leave it to that person's coscience and personal choices, otherwise it becomes one of those endless and "circular" forum debates (not that I have a problem with it, we're in a internet forum, infact) that bring us toward nothing, really :)

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #342 on: September 03, 2013, 09:35:19 AM

I think it may turn out that having founders with all their perks and bonuses is actually much more destructive to the health and the potential reach of a game's community then one might expect. This project should be one of the more interesting illustrations of that.

When it gets really bad is when the wants of the founders is in opposition to something that will help improve the new player experience. That's when a game has real problems on its hands.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:39:15 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: September 03, 2013, 09:40:49 AM

I don't understand that comment.

There is nothing that backers get that impact new player experience. good or bad. I'm not seeing how anything original backers get would be impacted by, well, anything.

Here is what my 150$ ( Sans golden ticket and Stretch goal stuff, every backer gets stretch stuff ) gets me:

Starting Money: 5,000 UEC
Lifetime Insurance
Deluxe Green Collector's Box
Spaceship-shaped USB Drive
CD of Game Soundtrack
Glossy Fold-up Star Map
Beta Access
Alpha Access
Hardback Engineering Manual
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Star Citizen Digital Download

Oh, and a freelancer to start with. Lucas up there gets the same things, +3-5 ships ( not sure what he got ). Every item, like the ships are available to be earned in game. There are no Golden bullets.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:44:06 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #344 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:50 AM

I can completely understand why people are doling out cash to the promise this project represents, and I can think of way worse ventures for investing your crowdfunding money, even if I am completely surprised by the sheer amount of $$ people are hurling at future digital spaceship IOU's for a game that isn't made yet.

And as weird as it is that people will hurl cash hand over fist at the rate they are doing, that weirdness is strictly on the fanbase. If the internet at large wants to chuck cash at RSI in huge volumes, I am not going to fault Chris at all for continuing to encourage such an amazing cashflow. TAKE IT. TAKE THEIR MONEY.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:16 AM

During the original campaign, I chose the same "Freelancer" tier Bloodworth did (hmm, 125 euros, I think), then I added more stuff along the way. To summarize:

Starting Money: 5,000 UEC
Lifetime Insurance
Deluxe Green Collector's Box
Spaceship-shaped USB Drive
CD of Game Soundtrack
Glossy Fold-up Star Map
Beta Access
Alpha Access
Hardback Engineering Manual
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Star Citizen Digital Download
----

- Squadron 42 hardback manual
- Origin 315p ship
- Aurora LX ship
- Origin M50 ship
- The Making of Star Citizen (hardback)
- "Shut up and take my money!" ship skin
- Gamescom hangar trophy
- "Centurion" subscription (3 months so far, ongoing)

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: September 03, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

I upgraded from bounty to Freelancer about 2 months later, i think. I do hold a golden ticket, what ever that thing does.

But yeah, I don't get the comment about things getting changed later, founder pulling weight, all this stuff is like.. Trivial in game items or physical goods.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:59:44 AM by Mrbloodworth »

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: September 03, 2013, 10:01:13 AM

Honestly, my issue with everything is that they seem to be very focused on pleasing backers and it remains to be seen how much that is distracting them away from the core game.  A LOT of polish had to go into the hangar app that may not really have been necessary at this stage of the development process.  
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:12 AM

For me it's just a game with a scope that seems incredibly difficult to achieve AND we've seen game after game which during development promises large scopes fail to actually deliver on that scope.  I'd pay good money for a game which actually delivers on what this game is promising, I just can't understand why people believe so fervently that this is the one that is going to make good on its promises.

I'm willing to put money into projects.  I did so with Hex, but I did so with Hex because the game it is trying to be is basically already proven.

From what I read  in Chris Roberts interviews the scope is actually  quite in line with funding they  so far achieved. It's not an MMO "with leaving breathing universe in real -time" -its a multiplayer enabled space simulator with central database and instanced  multiplayer battles (similar to world of tanks just with more elaborate transitions between instances )

They already showed they have game engine  and quite a good model design crew ( with all the ships released so far and hangar module). It not a stretch to imagine they will meet their goals  in 2 years with 20 million in funds they already have .Space simulators are not THAT expensive to make

they also have quite a sound business model wtih f2p/cash shop which is proven to work. heck if  i could buy the shares of Chris's company I would buy some right now cause it has potential to be extremely profitable. Unlike the pledges (which is why I dont pledge - if project is successful you just basically gave them funding for free ,and if not you just funded their crazy project for no cost to them)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:14:40 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: September 03, 2013, 10:19:17 AM

Honestly, my issue with everything is that they seem to be very focused on pleasing backers and it remains to be seen how much that is distracting them away from the core game.  A LOT of polish had to go into the hangar app that may not really have been necessary at this stage of the development process.  

Chris Roberts talked about this, and has the opposite conclusion. This is part of the development plan, iterate early, get it out, gather feedback. He WANTS feedback and some polish early. The sum of all the modules = Star citizen persistent.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: