Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938079 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #105 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:19 PM

I went back and forth on this one. $30 isn't exactly a huge deal and the constant mmo talk and 'facing real humans' kept turning me off. I've faced other humans, it's not what it's cracked up to be.

If there are solid single player and private server options, I'll jump in when it hits a steam sale. It certainly looks nice, at least until he dumbs down the graphics to make it playable mmo.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: November 19, 2012, 12:24:49 PM

The Online Universe is 100% optional.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:00 PM

Your ships have lifetime insurance policies and for the next year you will have the ability to purchase further tiers or upgrade existing ones at the initial prices. That's not true of everyone else: if you want to back Star Citizen and participate in this amazing community, you still can. but it's going to cost you a little extra as of now, and you aren't going to have as many extras (no lifetime insurance, for example.)
Uh, what the fuck does that mean? Boning retail customers is probably a stupid thing to promise right out of the gate. I'll check back in a couple years. He says too many things I don't like.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: November 19, 2012, 02:09:00 PM

Your ships have lifetime insurance policies and for the next year you will have the ability to purchase further tiers or upgrade existing ones at the initial prices. That's not true of everyone else: if you want to back Star Citizen and participate in this amazing community, you still can. but it's going to cost you a little extra as of now, and you aren't going to have as many extras (no lifetime insurance, for example.)
Uh, what the fuck does that mean?

That anyone who has already donated still has a chance to upgrade that donation using the upgrade system they put in place towards the end of the fund drive. That's how I read it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:11:40 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: November 19, 2012, 03:17:31 PM

What is lifetime insurance for ships? That sounds important.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: November 19, 2012, 06:53:58 PM

From what I read you can insure your ship for if/when it gets blown up to soften the cost of replacing it. Apparently the founder people get that for free. Sounds like a nice founders perk.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:56 PM

Yes. Yes it does.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #112 on: November 19, 2012, 08:29:34 PM

The initial cost is the same but insurance for retail will expire after a period of time and a new insurance policy would have to be purchased.

Insurance is going to be a tricky mechanic, they will probably have to do what EvE does and have the payout be significantly less than the replacement cost or else people would just blow up their ships on the last day of the policy.  I imagine your ships will be getting blown up fairly often so the insurance not expiring will mostly be moot since your ship will probably be destroyed before the policy lapses, then you'll have to buy both new ship and new insurance - retail and founder alike.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #113 on: November 19, 2012, 09:24:46 PM

six mil, eh. from the kickstarter alone.

well then~!

engaging stupid optimism drive. unshielded.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 20, 2012, 04:03:06 AM

From what I read you can insure your ship for if/when it gets blown up to soften the cost of replacing it. Apparently the founder people get that for free. Sounds like a nice founders perk.

I thought this was about running our own servers?  I don't see how he can promise this if we have private servers.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:48 AM

There is a single player game.

There is an Official MMO server.

There will be private special rules/invite only/whatever servers.

They aren't going to limit how you play, other than defining the Official Server as having a specific set of rules and trying to encourage the majority of people to hang out in that universe.  We are free to go elsewhere.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: November 20, 2012, 07:04:28 AM

We'll see. Two years is a long time for things to change.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: November 20, 2012, 07:25:41 AM

The single player game is going to happen before the world. The world is slated for 2013, the Squadron 42 is this coming year. Alphas and betas before that.

Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:57 AM

For those that missed this the main site is still excepting backers (and still has the time limited stuff available) until Monday due to the site hit-and-miss availability over the last 24 hours of the drive.

I went back and forth on this one. $30 isn't exactly a huge deal

I read somewhere (pretty sure on the official site) that $30 was an early backer price and that retail would actually be $60 (the $30 ran out fairly quickly and the $35 & $40 were identical except for the price and not being [as] limited in quantitiy

The initial cost is the same but insurance for retail will expire after a period of time and a new insurance policy would have to be purchased.

Insurance is going to be a tricky mechanic, they will probably have to do what EvE does and have the payout be significantly less than the replacement cost or else people would just blow up their ships on the last day of the policy.  I imagine your ships will be getting blown up fairly often so the insurance not expiring will mostly be moot since your ship will probably be destroyed before the policy lapses, then you'll have to buy both new ship and new insurance - retail and founder alike.

There's a lot of conflicting information about the lifetime insurance flying around right now (and if it applies to add on ship purchased in the grace week and the next year) apparently there will be a web site update later today clarifying it

I personally struggle with how they will get away without doing something similar to Eve in that the starter ship (the Aurora I believe in this case) always gets replaced.

six mil, eh. from the kickstarter alone.

well then~!

engaging stupid optimism drive. unshielded.

No that was 6mil total, think Kickstarter made about 2mil

The single player game is going to happen before the world. The world is slated for 2013, the Squadron 42 is this coming year. Alphas and betas before that.

I thought the beta [of the single player] was due in a year (2013) with the whole game a year after that (2014)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:09:03 PM by 5150 »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: November 20, 2012, 09:47:40 AM

Maybe I'm just old school, but I still believe in paying for a game by purchasing the launch version.

I'm happy he got $6mm, but that's going to merely be the price of entry to unlock the full funding he'll need to achieve all his promises. That funding is unlikely to be without rules for which he didn't account.

And I am excited this might be coming. But we've seen shippable games canceled. Heck, we've seen shipped games cancelled and pulled from retail. So I'll just be over here in my rocking chair waiting for my launch copy to arrive.  Get off my lawn!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #120 on: November 20, 2012, 09:50:37 AM

I find it hard to attach any sort of meaning to the 6m figure. Is that much or little?

Halo 3 cost $55m + $200m marketing budget.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: November 20, 2012, 10:02:18 AM

6 mill is just the crowd funding, last I read, he had secured about 20 million from traditional investors. The 6 mill, + number of gamers was to prove to the investors people wanted this.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:47 AM

I find it hard to attach any sort of meaning to the 6m figure. Is that much or little?

And we all know how overpriced marketing is.

- Viin
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 20, 2012, 10:58:00 AM

Why does a niche game need marketing?

This game has 90k people who donated cash money. Its not a game for everyone, intentionally. Word of mouth may be all it needs.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 20, 2012, 01:57:46 PM

When trying to judge budgets Halo should be your last choice.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #125 on: November 20, 2012, 02:09:00 PM

Why does a niche game need marketing?

Because even though it's a niche, that niche still needs to be informed the game is out there, has been released, is still being developed, etc.

In short, if you want to SELL something, you need marketing.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #126 on: November 20, 2012, 06:07:32 PM

Its not a game for everyone, intentionally. Word of mouth may be all it needs.

Word of mouth is marketing.

Plus I'm sure at the other end there will be a big ad and PR campaign to promote Squadron 47 / Star Citizen to the masses.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: November 20, 2012, 07:05:58 PM

The comment he made in one of the interviews about how it's possible to take a more iterative approach seems reasonable. Get the game out and then keep adding things. Makes it potentially cheaper than having to have everything in and polished for retail release and keeps people interested in what comes next. Partly what Tanks has been doing with the constant iteration.

Another advantage of being a PC-centric game too, would be much harder / impossible to do the same on consoles.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:34 PM

Maybe niche games don't need traditional marketing. But they also don't need $26mm budgets.

He wasn't able to secure $20mm from traditional investors on the promise of a word of mouth campaign. At minimum there will be a slew of banner ads on high traffic sites with premium CPMs over a 4-6 week period. I assume no TV support. But either this game needs to be introduced all by itself, or people first need to be reminded who Chris Robers is and then this game is introduced.

This feels like it's in the gray area between Darkfall niche and Daikatana "hey I know that guy from somewhere" quasi niche  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:22 AM

Anyone have a referrer number they want me to use?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:35 AM

Dunno if this is good anymore, but you can try using this link.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:22 AM

I put it in, but I don't know if it did anything.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:48 AM

blather

Link

[Mod edit] Posting a press release and a link isn't better than just posting a naked link. You should know better than that by now.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:13:12 PM by rattran »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:51 PM

The insurance thing still sounds shabby for non-lifetime folks who won't have a permanent backup ship.

And it would've been nice to know the cutoff was Nov 26 at some point before the 27th.

Ah, well. Plenty of games out there.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 27, 2012, 12:39:18 PM

Big giant count down clocks be dammed?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:21 AM

My count is still zero.  You can try adding Lantyssa at the bottom of your account page.  I'm not sure it actually does anything besides making me feel good.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 28, 2012, 08:26:26 AM

My count is still zero.  You can try adding Lantyssa at the bottom of your account page.  I'm not sure it actually does anything besides making me feel good.

Put in the name and clicked Verify and it really didn't do anything that I can see.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: November 28, 2012, 09:12:40 AM

Now I have a recruit count of 2.  You're twice as important as anyone else it seems!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 28, 2012, 09:21:41 AM

Yes I don't have lifetime insurance! Sonsofbitches
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 28, 2012, 03:35:47 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: