Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Quick things you wish you had known sooner (AUTOLOOT! Send ALL mats to bank!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick things you wish you had known sooner (AUTOLOOT! Send ALL mats to bank!)  (Read 107496 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 06, 2012, 04:01:33 PM

Thanks. I did I think twice when I had one of those guaranteed-to-get-good-components salvage kits which gave me the ecto. I have three ecto now, need two more just for a Tailor Insignia. But before I craft anything I'll be making sure i have what I need for the rest of it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Craft 'em, buy 'em with karma from Orr vendors, get them by farming token thingies from dungeons to spend on them, fuck around with the forge, buy on TP, or if you're an oddly lucky person, get them via drop.

Ah great ok thanks. I saw some stuff on that Cathedral Karma vendor in the 42k range, but they weren't superior enough over what I had to drop 75% of my Karma on. Should I wait for Cursed Shore?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #176 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:02 PM

The stuff is all kind of the same, stat-wise. I mean it will have different types of stats, and different rune sets, but it is all going to cost 42k for the same raw value of stats in general.

42k isn't really that much since they added the daily karma potions. Save those up, maybe do a monthly, then pop a karma booster when you drink them, and you'll get your 6 pieces relatively easily and it doesn't involve the stupid event grinding/DR juggling that you had to do before they added those.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:33 PM

Yea. I'm not really focused on getting all the exotics anytime quick. Been fine with what I have for the most part. May shift from Staff to D/D and see how that goes before making gear commitments.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:21 AM

Ok, now that I feel like I'm nearing them, how do exotics work? Buy Karma yellows, salvage them for ectoplasm, craft with presumably-other-expensive-stuff at the Mystic Forge?

I stopped spending karma early on, once I found out that it was used for high end stuff.  After using the vendors in Orr, I checked the TP and got a few pieces of level 70something exotics for around 50 silver each.  So, if you don't want to craft them, you can still get some exotics relatively cheap.

I'll probably craft a few in the long term, but I wanted to get some decent 80 gear asap.

edit: forgot to add this link.  Very useful if you want to see who sells what in Orr:  http://dulfy.net/2012/09/08/gw2-templegod-karma-armor-sets/
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 07, 2012, 08:21:35 AM

You can get level 80 exotics from the TP for a gold or two if you're not too picky.  If you have the ectos and the main material, the rest of the materials aren't that costly to buy.

If you're willing to brave explorable mode dungeons, the first time through a path each day gets you 60 tokens.  Small armor pieces cost ~180, large ones 260, 1-h weapons are 300, and 2-h weapons are 390.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 07, 2012, 01:05:05 PM

You can get level 80 exotics from the TP for a gold or two if you're not too picky.  If you have the ectos and the main material, the rest of the materials aren't that costly to buy.

If you're willing to brave explorable mode dungeons, the first time through a path each day gets you 60 tokens.  Small armor pieces cost ~180, large ones 260, 1-h weapons are 300, and 2-h weapons are 390.

I've run AC so much, I'm pretty much just spending tokens on extra weapons like a GS and Hammer JUST IN CASE I decide I want to tinker with them in the future. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 07, 2012, 01:12:35 PM

Time to make some alts to fully equip once they hit 80. Grin

sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: November 07, 2012, 01:46:32 PM

Time to make some alts to fully equip once they hit 80. Grin

But I love my ele and play the warrior because it's swamp poop when I want to take a break from the F#-fest of the ele.  I tried ranger and thief, just not my thing.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 07, 2012, 03:36:36 PM

Mesmer is where it's at.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:07 PM

Melee Necro. Enjoying it way more then my Warrior.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:52 PM

Mesmer is where it's at.
Love mesmer but still stuck on Ele. Now thinking of going D/D just to see what that style is like. Just got to Cursed Shore and though I've heard many complaints, I like it more than Malchor's so far.

Thanks for all the notes on exotics. Hadn't actually considered the TP. Last time I checked level 80 legendary, they were crazy expensive. Didn't even think I might find better stats in non-80 offerings. I did pick up a legendary Staff though, which made me farm Queensdale a bit just to afford the trip back to Orr. Sure I coulda done the Lions Arch circuit but I do still so love farming lowbie stuff on occasion. Not the same thing as taking a 50 Bard to Crushbone, but close enough  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #186 on: November 07, 2012, 05:22:53 PM

Legendary staff doesn't have higher stats than exotics.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:47 PM

I am pretty sure Darniaq meant exotic rather than legendary, unless he somehow accidentally did a thousand hour grind.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: November 07, 2012, 05:32:36 PM

Yea that's right. Exotic Carrion Staff is what I picked up for a relative song.

I forget all the terminology when I'm not actually seeing the words in the game. Or confusing them for WoW terms or older ones  Ohhhhh, I see.

Edit: and yes, i alt-tabbed out of game after just logging in to clear up that error.  wink
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:37:47 PM by Darniaq »
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:04 AM

Mesmer is where it's at.
Sure I coulda done the Lions Arch circuit but I do still so love farming lowbie stuff on occasion. Not the same thing as taking a 50 Bard to Crushbone, but close enough  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not sure that running events in the 80 zones is all that effecient anyway. It seems they scale event payouts for your level as I have yet to find a low level event that pays less than 1s20c at 80 while 80 events cap out at under 2s. But because of the terrible scaling for your level at 80 you can solo low level events insanely fast so if you can find a zone where you can chain events it's way more efficient doing low level ones than 80 ones. Except if you're after gear as most of the drops will be maximum  74 or so.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: November 08, 2012, 02:53:53 AM

If you do the Plinx circuit in cursed shore, you get 8-9k karma and ~2 gold per hour (including the level 80 drops you can sell). There's a quick summary here. I tried it for 10 mins once out of curiosity, and it's pretty damn efficient... and - just like any other farming activity - also pretty damn boring and grindy.

sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:30 AM

Mesmer is where it's at.
Love mesmer but still stuck on Ele. Now thinking of going D/D just to see what that style is like. Just got to Cursed Shore and though I've heard many complaints, I like it more than Malchor's so far.

D/D is super powerful 1v1 and 5v5.  Anything more than that, and I'd swap to staff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=g-u-u

Watch this guy's videos on D/D ele.  He's phenomenal.  He has a few where he details the build and concept.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-nfbDmfw6s&feature=plcp  I'm still gimpy D/D as well and am trying to swap out to D/D to be more versatile.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:16 AM

Mesmer is where it's at.
Sure I coulda done the Lions Arch circuit but I do still so love farming lowbie stuff on occasion. Not the same thing as taking a 50 Bard to Crushbone, but close enough  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not sure that running events in the 80 zones is all that effecient anyway. It seems they scale event payouts for your level as I have yet to find a low level event that pays less than 1s20c at 80 while 80 events cap out at under 2s. But because of the terrible scaling for your level at 80 you can solo low level events insanely fast so if you can find a zone where you can chain events it's way more efficient doing low level ones than 80 ones. Except if you're after gear as most of the drops will be maximum  74 or so.

Doing events for karma is inefficient in ANY zone anyway. Just play for 20 minutes a day to get your daily done.   tongue

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 08, 2012, 04:47:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=g-u-u

Watch this guy's videos on D/D ele.  He's phenomenal.  He has a few where he details the build and concept.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-nfbDmfw6s&feature=plcp  I'm still gimpy D/D as well and am trying to swap out to D/D to be more versatile.

Looks awesome!

And I got into the tale end of Plink last night. Looks Like a nice efficient chain. Did the Historian and invasion ones on the mid-east side a few times last night simply because it resets so fast.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:06 AM

I figured out how to get more badges in WvW while using my engineer in large group battles.  Not sure if this has been posted already but thought it might help:

When a player is downed, don't "finish them," just keep damaging them till they're dead.  AOE if you can, this is especially effective if there is a group of downed players within the AOE.  I just keep throwing grenades at the bodies and bags pop up regularly.

In 1v1 battles just finish them.  This is for large group battles in which 5-10 people are usually attempting the finish the same targets. 
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: November 28, 2012, 08:54:18 AM

I figured out how to get more badges in WvW while using my engineer in large group battles.  Not sure if this has been posted already but thought it might help:

When a player is downed, don't "finish them," just keep damaging them till they're dead.  AOE if you can, this is especially effective if there is a group of downed players within the AOE.  I just keep throwing grenades at the bodies and bags pop up regularly.

In 1v1 battles just finish them.  This is for large group battles in which 5-10 people are usually attempting the finish the same targets. 

this is my favorite part about being an engineer, as soon as you see someon go down start raining grenades upon them, you can often catch 2-3 other fools trying to help him in the crossfire.  Incredibly useful in WvW as it denies your opponents an easy way to rez.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 28, 2012, 09:16:20 AM

I just use cannons to accomplish the same thing (4-5k aoe per hit every 3 or so seconds with added bleed or chill)... though it does depend on people fighting near the keep, but not actually sieging. Thankfully, both FA and YB are kind enough to oblige awesome, for real

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:49 AM

Yeah i cluster bomb the shit out of downed people, usually leads to 3-4 more downings during sieges.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Quick things you wish you had known sooner (AUTOLOOT! Send ALL mats to bank!)  
Jump to: