Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 89702 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: October 05, 2012, 05:05:31 AM

Skill up + finished product is always going to be more valuable than just the product alone.

I am the .00000001428%
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: January 07, 2013, 06:15:58 AM

Cooking has changed a great deal, apparently. Every guide I've seen is out of date.

I wish there was a permanent way to see the gathering nodes without pushing Ctrl - a toggle or something.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: January 07, 2013, 06:52:54 AM

I just did 1-400 cooking on an alt for 2g or less following a guide someone posted on their forums, here, read the whole thread though the OP isn't completely right.

I am the .00000001428%
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: January 07, 2013, 07:11:34 AM

That one seems to be the most recent.

The prices are way out of whack though, compared to what I saw last night on the AH.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:55 AM

They were slightly off when i did it a few weeks ago, I guess demand has gone up since then because of the guide.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: January 07, 2013, 07:39:52 AM

Cooking is a pain unless you've had several characters gathering materials from 1-80.  Even then there are so many recipes and sub-components that it's by far the toughest to level.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: January 07, 2013, 06:13:03 PM

I'm not so worried yet about leveling, although I can see why it might be tough just to keep up with my level unless I also level alts. (Which of course would have to craft as well since that's how I roll.)

I realized it is WAY easier if I look at my little minimap to see the actual nodes. Doh.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: January 08, 2013, 06:54:21 AM

After playing with discoveries, it seems that leveling crafting might be most efficient by discovering recipes rather than grinding particular ones. Leveling cooking while leveling up, anyway.

sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:50 AM

After playing with discoveries, it seems that leveling crafting might be most efficient by discovering recipes rather than grinding particular ones. Leveling cooking while leveling up, anyway.

Yeah, that's how I did it.  Also: more fun.  I liked the discovery process in cooking; seemed like the one craft the discovery mechanic really worked.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: January 08, 2013, 09:45:48 AM

I think the best way is to have a recipe list and every 25 points check for the cheapest one of the bunch, that requires a lot of time though.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: January 08, 2013, 01:15:02 PM

Yeah, that's how I did it.  Also: more fun.  I liked the discovery process in cooking; seemed like the one craft the discovery mechanic really worked.
Same.  I love the discovery process.  Cooking takes it to a whole new level since you can end up with several levels of sub-components required.  I actually did 1-400 cooking at a single time, with the purpose being to learn every single discoverable recipe possible.  There are... a lot.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:03 PM

What pissed me off about cooking was the intentional cockblock of rare ingredients. Like chili peppers. Stupid low level herb, but rare as fuck. I hit 400 but still had over half the chili recipes undiscovered.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:48 PM

What pissed me off about cooking was the intentional cockblock of rare ingredients. Like chili peppers. Stupid low level herb, but rare as fuck. I hit 400 but still had over half the chili recipes undiscovered.

Appearantly there was some exploit they patched by making chili peppers drop instead of a karma item like it was on release. Unfortunately another knee jerk nerf that never gets reconsidered.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

Vanilla beans were the cockblock for me (also used to be a karma vendor item). I think they were made a bit more numerous in a later patch, but blah.

Also, if you're levelling cooking via discovery (I did too, for almost the entire 1-400 journey), you NEED at least one bank tab to keep all the subcomponents that don't go into the collections tab (finished food can also act as a subcomponent sometimes).

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: January 09, 2013, 06:51:17 AM

One good thing about the system was that you could see how many undiscovered recipes used an ingredient, so you could make that many sub-components then and there.  It wasn't perfect, due to a few chains using further sub-components, but it helped me not overproduce.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:12 AM

Considering the high prices of gathering materials, I'm wondering - is crafting ever worth it? I'd be rich right now if I had sold everything I gathered, I think, instead of paying for jute thread and so on to craft.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 09, 2013, 09:46:34 AM

There may be some niches that are worth it - if you don't mind playing the TP. Other than that, it's much more profitable to sell all the crafting materials you gather and buy crafted items/food when you need them.

e: however, if you're planning to craft a legendary weapon, you'll need to get 400 in two appropriate craft skills (can be across all your characters)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:10 AM

It is very hard to make money with it, but it gives exp and you need it for legendaries.  You can save a bit of cash making your exotic armor rather than buying it, but not enough to make a profit after the 15% trader cut and you are much better off running dungeons and getting it for free anyways.  Some people claim it is possible to make money with crafting, but they are mostly playing the market which doesn't actually require crafting.  I thought the two and a half gold i spent maxing cooking was worth the ten levels i got from it.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:16 AM

It might be possible to make money with crafting, but you could probably make as much or more by dedicating yourself to other pursuits.

I do crafting for myself, though.  Instead of buying exotic armor at 80, I make it myself, which does save a lot of gold.  Also it's a great way to get later levels.  Going from 1-400 skill will get you 10 levels.  In each profession.  If you had the materials, it would be possible to level to 80 by crafting.

It's certainly not essential though, and if you're more interested in the money until you're more established, just sell your materials.  You can always farm them once you're higher level.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: January 14, 2013, 06:34:05 AM

I finally found a ring I can buy the mats for, make and sell for a (very) little profit. At least this can fund my repairs for wvwvw, which I'm finding very fun! even though I'm mostly fodder so far. I can still man siege and res people.

The world is huge. I didn't realize just how large it is. Some of the mechanics in this game are really nice - like being able to do any lower zone by being downleveled, being able to participate in wvwvw by being upleveled, the gathering nodes being available on an individual basis rather than global....

I like the lack of holy trinity nice too, although I have no idea what dungeons are like.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:15 AM

Chaotic.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:23 AM

Dungeons are brutal.  Oddly, I like them here when I can barely stand them in WoW.  I think it's the difference in skill use and ability to dodge.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:03 AM

Dungeons are weird in that the mechanics are utterly non-forgiving but DEATH itself IS.

Where like losing your healer in a standard WoW dungeon is probably a wipe/reset if you don't have some kind of Brez, in GW2 losing anyone is more of a inconvenience as someone has to spend a few seconds waking you up.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ivanneth
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 14, 2013, 11:47:58 AM

I enjoy how challenging the dungeons are in GW2 if I can run with friends. Sadly the people I game with tend to have short attention spans and most of them have scattered to other games. These days if I want to run a dungeon I'm stuck watching map chat for a group, which is my least favorite thing to do in any MMO, ever, so I pretty much just don't run dungeons anymore. I hope they implement some kind of LFG system. I don't want the same thing as WoW's random dungeon finder though - people aren't invested in those kinds of groups and it tends to bring out the asshole in everyone. I just don't want to have to sit around watching a chat channel instead of actually playing the game.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: January 14, 2013, 12:08:09 PM

Yep, an LFG tool would be awesome.

I like many things about the dungeons (especially the fractals), but dislike the boring hp-sponge aspect of many bosses. I still think WOW has better dungeons overall, if only because the trinity makes a lot more things possible. The only GW2 dungeon boss I found to work better was the Iron Forgeman at the end of Sorrow's Embrace. It doesn't help that the boss right before him is one of the most obnoxious things in the history of mmo bosses since... oh I dunno, Oculus*?

* I actually kinda sorta liked the Oculus

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:35 AM

You guys know there is already an LFG tool, right?

Its in the contacts window.

Nobody uses it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: January 15, 2013, 02:21:53 AM

The website for finding groups is actually really good:

gw2lfg.com

I've been using it over the past couple of weeks and generally found groups very fast. They do need to implement a group finder tool, but until then I would suggest using that website as it seems to work well. Am at fractal level 11 now from pick up groups from that site.

(Groups from there seem to be slightly higher skilled than groups formed from chat)
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #167 on: January 15, 2013, 03:45:45 PM

I wanted to post this link to dynamic crafting guides.  This guy runs a script against GW2Spidy every hour and creates a crafting guide for each profession based on what is cheapest method at that time.  This solves the problem of prices shooting up everytime a new best crafting guide comes out.   

http://gw2crafts.saladon.net/

I definately agree about gw2lfg.com.   I've used it a lot and was actually able to finish my Arah story quest on one of my characters.  I thought I'd never get that done.

I also agree that people who use it tend to be a bit better though that's not always the case.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:52:25 PM by vex »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:30 PM

I wanted to post this link to dynamic crafting guides.  This guy runs a script against GW2Spidy every hour and creates a crafting guide for each profession based on what is cheapest method at that time.  This solves the problem of prices shooting up everytime a new best crafting guide comes out.   

http://gw2crafts.saladon.net/

That is incredible.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:39 AM

Right now it says they all cost about 6g except cooking. Which for all the omgsoexpensive talk is less than 2g.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:06 AM

Yeah cooking was by far the cheapest/easier to max, if you knew what the cheapest recipe was at every single point.  I did it for around 2.5 gold, but it could easily be three or four times that if you just wing it.

I am the .00000001428%
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:07 PM

They really screwed cooking up. It was suppossed to be the hardest craft to level, that only expert dedicated players would use. Instead it has ended up being a joke of a craft thats ridiculously easy to level.

Judging by those guides it would take approx 45 gold or so to level a character from 1 to 80 just by crafting. Not too bad I guess.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:33 PM

Where they screwed up is in trying to make cooking the hardest craft to level, because that is just incredibly retarded.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:47 PM

The best mmog craft is always the one with the best consumables. If they want to make one harder, it has to be cooking.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: January 16, 2013, 04:16:14 PM

Where they screwed up is in trying to make cooking the hardest craft to level, because that is just incredibly retarded.

I dont see why. The idea behind cooking was that it was supposed to be a 'master' craft for those people who really like crafting. Unlike the others it gave you no permanent gear or exotics, but did give some nice temporary buffs. It was supposed to be a reward craft for the type of player who loves to spend ages farming and tradeskilling - much like the sort of player who typically loves cooking in other MMOs.

It's not like there's a raid game to make the craft required.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting  
Jump to: