Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blizzard/Battle.net Hacked (WoW, D3, SC2) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blizzard/Battle.net Hacked (WoW, D3, SC2)  (Read 3272 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: August 09, 2012, 04:13:35 PM

Since we have forums for almost all of Bliz's games, this seemed like the best place for this.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

Players and Friends,

Even when you are in the business of fun, not every week ends up being fun. This week, our security team found an unauthorized and illegal access into our internal network here at Blizzard. We quickly took steps to close off this access and began working with law enforcement and security experts to investigate what happened.

At this time, we’ve found no evidence that financial information such as credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised. Our investigation is ongoing, but so far nothing suggests that these pieces of information have been accessed.

Some data was illegally accessed, including a list of email addresses for global Battle.net users, outside of China. For players on North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) the answer to the personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators were also accessed. Based on what we currently know, this information alone is NOT enough for anyone to gain access to Battle.net accounts.

We also know that cryptographically scrambled versions of Battle.net passwords (not actual passwords) for players on North American servers were taken. We use Secure Remote Password protocol (SRP) to protect these passwords, which is designed to make it extremely difficult to extract the actual password, and also means that each password would have to be deciphered individually. As a precaution, however, we recommend that players on North American servers change their password. Please click this link to change your password. Moreover, if you have used the same or similar passwords for other purposes, you may want to consider changing those passwords as well.

In the coming days, we'll be prompting players on North American servers to change their secret questions and answers through an automated process. Additionally, we'll prompt mobile authenticator users to update their authenticator software. As a reminder, phishing emails will ask you for password or login information. Blizzard Entertainment emails will never ask for your password. We deeply regret the inconvenience to all of you and understand you may have questions. Please find additional information here.

We take the security of your personal information very seriously, and we are truly sorry that this has happened.

Sincerely,
Mike Morhaime

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:22:25 PM

Yep, you get prompted to visit that page from the launcher in WoW.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:38 PM

An mmo that keeps their passwords encrypted?

What manner of foul magic is this?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:39:02 PM

Given that they allow brute-forcing on battle.net logins, I'm shocked they do that one.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:20 PM

Aren't the passwords case-insensitive as well?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:16:36 PM

Just getting the emails is a goldmine. The Phishing scam people are right this minute making "security warning" emails to send to the list they just stole.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:28:05 PM

Aren't the passwords case-insensitive as well?
Yep.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:01:29 PM

I just crated a new email to change my whole b.net account to. I couldn't remember the answer to my secret question at first, since the answer is actually not the answer to the question being asked - so it took me three tries, seemed to go through, but didn't register the change. Now I can't change the account but can access everything.

Incompetent mother fuckers with their battle net accounts and real ID and case insensitive passwords and bullshit.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:17 PM

Won't let me change my wife's battlenet account either. Fuckers.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:44 AM

They might be locking down email changes on purpose considering the breach.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:21 AM

That's exactly it, at least for the secret questions: http://us.battle.net/support/en/blog/6940803

We understand that account security is critically important, and we are committed to helping maintain account security for our players. To that end, a feature that will allow players to securely change their secret question answer through Battle.net is in development now.

If you’re interested in changing your Battle.net account’s secret question answer, please hold tight! We will provide more information on the new service very soon.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 05:53:12 AM

I never had this problem with Torchlight or Borderlands.  Or DIILoD... how I wish for DII.V instead of DIII!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:17:04 AM

They might be locking down email changes on purpose considering the breach.

Yeah, this is doing you a favor actually.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:19 PM

Yeah, I can see that.

Still pisses me off, though.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blizzard/Battle.net Hacked (WoW, D3, SC2)  
Jump to: