Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  (Read 57524 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: May 29, 2014, 12:41:49 PM

Bummer, really like that character.  You'd think she'd be pretty tough to capture/kill.

I am the .00000001428%
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: May 29, 2014, 01:07:26 PM

One of the ones that I thought was interesting, was that Havoc (Scott's brother) is one of the mutants Mystique saves in the army camp.  But then again, aren't they working on an X-Force movie, which if I am not mistaken, would have him in it?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: May 29, 2014, 01:08:03 PM

Emma died, and they likely did not use her image because they did not pay for it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:29 PM

Emma died, and they likely did not use her image because they did not pay for it.

I guess January Jones costs a bit more than the pile of randoms they got for the other mutants.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: May 29, 2014, 01:46:15 PM

I wonder how much they paid Anna Paquin for her 2 seconds of screen time.  awesome, for real

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: May 29, 2014, 02:06:25 PM

I wonder how much they paid Anna Paquin for her 2 seconds of screen time.  awesome, for real
She was shown for 2 seconds, but they filmed a lot more.  

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: May 29, 2014, 02:17:16 PM

It would've been nice to see though, it's a better explanation for the sentinels copying powers than the one they used.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: May 29, 2014, 09:45:55 PM

It would've been nice to see though, it's a better explanation for the sentinels copying powers than the one they used.
I don't know if it would have been used that way or not, but it would make more sense ...

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: May 30, 2014, 08:15:18 PM

I wonder how much they paid Anna Paquin for her 2 seconds of screen time.  awesome, for real
She was shown for 2 seconds, but they filmed a lot more.  

Had they done this it would have really broken the urgency of what was going on.  In the future scenes they are trying to impress that "this is it, one last shot"  I like rogue and all but fucking off to go pick her up really would have killed momentum.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: May 30, 2014, 09:10:08 PM

Just saw this today. After seeing comments on other sites suggesting this was better than CA2 and maybe the best comic book movie ever I guess I was expecting more than the movie delivered. I liked a lot of the performances, especially James McAvoy. The beginning was pretty fun and I enjoyed seeing the Xmen working together and Blink was pretty cool. I hope she's back in future films but that may not work for the next film.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: May 30, 2014, 09:24:38 PM

It was decent but I still like X1, X2, and First Class better.  I think the movie could have used another half hour to flesh some characters out.  Non X-Men comic fans probably didn't know who the fuck most of these people were.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: May 31, 2014, 01:15:00 AM

Just saw this today. After seeing comments on other sites suggesting this was better than CA2 and maybe the best comic book movie ever I guess I was expecting more than the movie delivered. I liked a lot of the performances, especially James McAvoy. The beginning was pretty fun and I enjoyed seeing the Xmen working together and Blink was pretty cool. I hope she's back in future films but that may not work for the next film.

According to Fan Bingbing she signed a four X-men picture deal with Marvel.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: May 31, 2014, 09:24:53 AM

They've said the next movie takes place in the 80s though so there is no way she is part of it.  Actually that sorta blows, i guess we already know everyone is going to live through the age of apocalypse.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: May 31, 2014, 10:13:40 AM

Well they have also said they are still going to have patrick stewart era xmen actors as well so....more time travel? i dunno

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: June 05, 2014, 12:45:25 PM

The setting of the stinger from DoFP should give you some clue that the unfolding story of the next film is going to likely take place in different times.  I don't know if there will be time travel, but I could see the story taking place in two or more eras...

Note that Blink was shown as a young adult in the 2023 setting of DoFP.  That may indicate that the X-Men: AA is going to feature a 'current' setting, an 80s setting, and a future setting.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: June 06, 2014, 06:02:33 AM

That'd just be the same fucking movie.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: June 06, 2014, 08:45:44 AM

They've said the next movie takes place in the 80s though so there is no way she is part of it.  Actually that sorta blows, i guess we already know everyone is going to live through the age of apocalypse.

Time travelling to the 80s?

Will there be whales?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: June 06, 2014, 08:56:46 AM

In fairness, it was acceptable in the eighties.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:16 AM

In fairness, it was acceptable in the eighties.

So was Liefeld.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: June 06, 2014, 01:48:27 PM

That'd just be the same fucking movie.
There are different ways to do it.  Personally, I don't like the idea too much, but I think they're sort of screwed right now in that they've locked up characters that are of roughly the same age in the comics as being 50 years apart in age in the X-men movie-verse.  At some point they'll need to do a complete reboot - I just wish it would be in the MCU.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: June 06, 2014, 02:09:54 PM

Well to be fair there is absolutely no reason they need to leave the 70's-80's any time soon.  Yes they might miss Patrick Stewart but you could easily skip right the fuck over cable and all the time traveling bullshit that accompanies him.  Apocalypse can simply wake up in the 80's as a new threat the newly formed xmen have to deal with.  They may not do this but it's really the simplest solution.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: June 06, 2014, 02:20:42 PM

Cable was supposed to be in DofP but they didn't have time in the script to flesh him out.  It was him that was originally supposed to be sent back in time, not Wolverine.

I bet that he will be in AoA.  As they could also use him as a launching pad for their planned X-Force movie.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: June 06, 2014, 10:55:21 PM

I personally would prefer that we dont see much of Apocalypse himself in AoA, and the movie is more about Four Horsemen Shinnanigans with Apoc in the background as the shadowy manipulator, allowing them to properly do an exposition for the character to use as the Main Big Bad in the movie after AoA.    That being said, I completely expect them to make AoA all about Apoc himself, and somehow manage to not do a good job of properly setting the character up while juggling everything else that is going on.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: June 08, 2014, 12:03:03 PM

Went and saw this finally.  I was surprised by how good it was.  One of the best super hero movies in a while, and certainly the best X-Men movie to date.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: June 09, 2014, 12:06:03 PM

According to Fan Bingbing she signed a four X-men picture deal with Marvel.

Binbing was in Iron Man 3 as well. She was in the hospital when he goes to China to have them remove the shrapnel from his chest.  awesome, for real Just because she's got a deal doesn't mean her character will make sense or that anyone outside of China will even see her.

We finally got to see this. First movie I've seen in a year--gosh being a mum is fun. I really enjoyed it. I don't think it was the best comic book movie ever made, but I'd put it as the top X-Men one. It managed to hit the level of epic without doing something stupid like killing half the cast.

I was 8 in 1973 and the anachronisms got on my nerves, particularly the winglets on the jet.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #270 on: June 09, 2014, 03:03:48 PM

Just saw this, easily the best movie in the X-Men franchise, well worth seeing in the theater.  Yeah, you can pick it apart, but it did what it was trying to do.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: June 09, 2014, 11:17:17 PM

[Binbing was in Iron Man 3 as well. She was in the hospital when he goes to China to have them remove the shrapnel from his chest.  awesome, for real Just because she's got a deal doesn't mean her character will make sense or that anyone outside of China will even see her.

Her contract was with Fox, not with Marvel, which means she'll be back playing Blink in whatever X-men movies they continue to pump out while they still have the license.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #272 on: June 10, 2014, 06:33:45 AM

Yet another forgettable movie.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #273 on: June 10, 2014, 09:01:41 AM

Finally saw it and I enjoyed it.

Few nitpicks:

1) How the fuck is Xavier alive in the future when they acknowledge the existence of X-Men Last Stand, in which he got fucking dissolved?
2) During the White House ceremony scene, why are they searching for Mystique telepathically when Wolverine can FUCKING SMELL HER WITH HIS ENHANCED SENSES? Way to forget the character's powers there guys.
3) It's 1973, what the fuck is Quicksilver listening to music on and why are his headphones very much not 1970 style headphones? Also, how is he listening to music and it not sounding like slo-mo?
4) The Apocalypse end credit scene was disappointing. If you don't know the comics, it has NO relation whatsoever to the movie you just watched. None. It's just random nonsense. Considering the sentinel carriers looked like Apocalypse's ships from the comics, I thought there'd be some connection made but nope. Opportunity lost, IMO.

Still, I enjoyed it despite the nitpicks. Quicksilver was clearly the best part with Blink being second and neither got enough screen time. Both were FUCKING AWESOME. MORE BINGBING! Loved the '70's Sentinels (not so much the future ones).

X-Men continuity is indeed a fucking nightmare. Way too many alternate reality/timeline/time travel characters involved. Cable is the second worst example but Bishop isn't far behind. Stryfe is the actual worst example - a CLONE of Cable that turned evil instead of good, creating a mutant-killing virus, dying and somehow being reborn as Hope, the mutant messiah in the future. The '90's in particular just lost the fucking plot completely as hack writer after hack writer was given the task of trying to expound on all the hanging threads Claremont left with a continually rotating cast of bad pencillers, overdone crossovers and continuity nightmares. Grant Morrison did a lot of good work unfucking the X-Men when he got on it, and taking it a different direction, though there have been really varying levels of success with the books since. The Matt Fraction stuff was good right up until Schism, and the Wolverine and the X-Men book being written by Jason Aaron right now with Wolverine as the headmaster of the school is REALLY GOOD.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:12 AM

Xavier was alive at the end of X3, just in another body.  Which they then claimed was his brother.  The end scenes have usually been teases for the next movie.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #275 on: June 10, 2014, 09:17:49 AM

Xavier was alive at the end of X3, just in another body.  Which they then claimed was his brother. 

I do not remember this at all. That's probably for the best. At least it wasn't his twin sister that he ate in the womb. That was the one bit of the Grant Morrison run that I could do without.

Also, I get that the end credits scene is meant to be a teaser, but usually that teaser has some connection to the movie that went before it. This didn't.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:25 AM

why are his headphones very much not 1970 style headphones?

That was it! Thank you! I remembered there was one thing that really smacked me in the face at the time that I couldn't remember and it's been driving me crazy. The non-enclosed headphones came with the Walkman in the 80s and I don't think I saw behind the ears headphones until the late 90s? I know it's a nitpick, but it surprises me that a movie with that kind of budget and such was that sloppy on anachronisms.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #277 on: June 11, 2014, 08:54:34 PM

Easy, the audience aren't even born in 80s.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #278 on: June 11, 2014, 08:59:00 PM

At least it wasn't his twin sister that he ate in the womb. That was the one bit of the Grant Morrison run that I could do without.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: June 11, 2014, 09:15:22 PM

So apparently Singer may not be directing AoA cuz he allegedly likes young boys.  Basically Fox is backing off him before they lose a lot of money.  All rumor, but understandable if it comes to light.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  
Jump to: