Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Random, Newbish Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random, Newbish Questions  (Read 46788 times)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 09:52:47 AM

I'm somewhat wanting a limited respec option as well. Something like the first 60-75 ap can be respecced once. This would be nice since there is fuckall explaining anything. This is not a bad thing and would help with reducing frustration in a game that causes a lot of frustration even to those who understand it better than most. 60-75 AP is absolutely fuck all for anyone around QL5 and higher, but for someone QL1-3 it is a couple hours worth

That said - (this is for anyone here really) since the people here can always simply ask for help via a couple quick runs through Inferno or Polaris, that would be the best way to "fix" any build you want to fix. Inferno takes less than 15mins (roughly 10 with a couple QL10 players) and gives 7ap/3sp each run as well as arguably the best looking weapons in the game.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:52 AM

Yeah a one time, early respec would be a nice thing, mostly because the game is terrible at explaining things and the skill system is a lot to take in at once. Yes, you *can* just start spending points on new stuff, and it almost certainly is the more efficient choice, but it *feels* crappier having to get your AP with the skills that were already failing for you, rather than doing it with the new ones you picked, you know?

Also, I still haven't figured out why powder burn had a knockback in the tutorial but doesn't for me now. Probably a passive I'm missing somewhere I guess.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 12:07:00 PM

On the topic of respeccing, it's worth noting that while in other games you can respec pretty much freely, what Sjofn would like to do here is more something along the lines of changing class than respeccing. And that is not doable in any other game. So while old habits make us feel that in this game you can't respec while in other you can, reality is you can respec (change build AND class) in this game ANY TIME you want as long as you are not in combat, while in other MMORPGs to respec your build you have to see an NPC, and to "respec" to another class you have to log out.

So this game has free and instant respecs. You have to take off the WoW-coloured glasses to realize that though.

1) I know it's like picking a new class, this is why I was actually okay with rerolling completely, even though it is dumb because
2) The game already sort of has it, it's just you have to be able to farm enough AP to do it. And in the early stage of the game where I am at, it is painful and lame and makes the game feel shitty.

Rerolling wasn't any big deal, yeah I had to do the parts of Kingsmouth I'd already done again but it goes pretty fast when you already know where to go and you aren't stuck with a shitty spec you loathe and are terrible at.

EDIT: Also, I know about using a second weapon. I had that covered. :P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:08:37 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 12:31:41 PM

An early respec opton would be nice since new players are shoved into the breach without much of an explaination of how the game works.  It really needs a better tutorial before people get to Kingsmouth.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 02:22:00 PM

Where does one buy the higher levels of sprint?

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 02:24:35 PM

Where does one buy the higher levels of sprint?
Mobility trainer at your faction HQ.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 04:52:16 PM

After you die, why does it take so long to port to the res point/jail in a dungeon?  Is there some kind of resurrection or healing mechanic I'm unaware of that has to timeout?  Can I bring pain from the beyond?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 09:35:38 PM

Someone mentioned buffing team members while dead, in a dungeon.

- Viin
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 09:47:04 PM

Someone mentioned buffing team members while dead, in a dungeon.

Yah, I did.  But that's when you're alive in the jail.
I'm beginning to think it was just a bug I encountered in Polaris.  I was just wondering around kinda ghostlike, with no option to release.   Didnt happen again though.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 12:28:34 AM

It sounds like a bug. I mean, in this game when you die in a boss fight you are supposed to stay in jail until the fight is over. And it's a lovely challenging mechanic. But I have never heard of any delay between death and respawning in jail. I really wonder if it's a rare bug. Did it happen more than once? In one dungeon or more than one? And which one(s)?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 12:48:41 AM

What does the blue part of my XP bar meeeeeeeeeean?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 12:50:32 AM

I think blue XP is for AP, yellow XP is for SP. IMO they should've go WAR-style on this and put some bars above your bars (dawg)

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:31 AM

Opposite colors, but yes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 07:23:42 AM

The entire bar represents one SP, each notch represents getting one of the three AP you get since 1SP = 3AP.  I believe the bar is blue until it passes an AP notch and then that section turns yellow to represent you passed an AP notch.  You can see the notches so there is no real reason for them to change the colours but whatever.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 07:24:31 AM

I think the XP bar is divided in three sections. Every section is 40k XP and it is worth an AP. When you fill the whole bar (meaning all the three sections) you get an SP and the bar resets.

In short, it takes 40k Xp to get an AP and 120k XP to get an SP. The different colours are not SP/AP, they are just a simple way to show you that you have completed a section. Yellow means a section is complete, blue is your progress towards the next.

EDIT: This might end up being a tip for noobs: when you look at quest XP, always remember that an AP is always 40k XP. So if a quest reward is, say, 180k XP, it means it'll earn you 4AP and a half (also, 1SP and a half), no matter what zone or QL are you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:26:45 AM by Falconeer »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:58 AM

Uh, that basically means yellow = AP and blue = SP...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:22 AM

Except blue is AP too.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #52 on: July 27, 2012, 09:14:49 AM

In true mmo fashion, the xp bar isn't really visible on my screen because the very bottom gets cut off due to overscan.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 27, 2012, 10:57:51 AM

Uh, get a better monitor?  awesome, for real

- Viin
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 11:05:35 AM

The entire bar represents one SP, each notch represents getting one of the three AP you get since 1SP = 3AP.  I believe the bar is blue until it passes an AP notch and then that section turns yellow to represent you passed an AP notch.  You can see the notches so there is no real reason for them to change the colours but whatever.

That is ... an odd way of doing it, but that explains why the part of the bar that was blue kept being random lengths every time I glanced at my XP bar! But now I know it means I can ignore it, hooray! <3

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:25 AM

I just thought of another question! When people say they're QL4 or whatever, what exactly do they mean?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #56 on: July 27, 2012, 11:12:14 AM

Ooh ooh I can answer that one. It means their average gear level.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #57 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:12 AM

OK, I figured it was something like that, but I wanted to confirm.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:46 PM

Is DX11 worth running?  Still feels unstable to me on a Radeon.
Comparatively, are the framerates better with the same settings on DX9?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: July 27, 2012, 11:01:11 PM

Dunno.  I crash when I tend to play for a while.  I get these white boxes on screen and then the game dies.  Sometimes it'll give me a message that the graphics driver crashed, and I need to restart.  Ohhhhh, I see.  Could be my card, which has a bad fan. I don't get crazy temps or anything, but the game just isn't reliably stable.   I'm not sure DX9 would fix it, and I kind of like that I get 60-90FPS with AA on.

I also get a pretty sweet bug where my FPS drops to single digits upon login and won't clear up until a reboot.   awesome, for real

I just thought of another question! When people say they're QL4 or whatever, what exactly do they mean?

Gear and skill yes.  But I guess you can't wear the gear without the skills, so skill is redundant.   It doesn't tell you this (maybe it does in a tip), but high skill will mean you glance less.  It's like level determining your hit chance in WoW.

Just for a primer you can do Polaris at around QL3 (perhaps QL2 if you're getting carried), Inferno at QL 5, Darkness War at QL6, Ankh at QL7, and Hell Within at QL8.  Those are all of the normal dungeons.  I haven't done an elite yet.

-Rasix
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 28, 2012, 12:34:08 AM

I found the xp bar so confusing that I just turned it off.  The decision was made specifically when I turned in a quest and it appeared to move a tiny amount, until I realized it had gone fully around once, plus that tiny amount.  This was like halfway through kingsmouth.  At that point I realized the game wasn't really built around an xp bar and that it barely made sense when displayed as a bar at all.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #61 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:30 AM

It doesn't tell you this (maybe it does in a tip), but high skill will mean you glance less.  It's like level determining your hit chance in WoW.

Good to know, because I had no idea!  why so serious?

I think I'm QL5? On my Templar? Hooray? She's pretty decent as a faux-tank for our duo, Ingmar might have more of an opinion on that though, since he's DPS bitch.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #62 on: July 28, 2012, 03:56:52 AM

Anyone know exactly how beneficial it is to raise the secondary bar for a weapon type? Say, I already raised the "damage" bar to 6 and use a QL6 weapon, does the lower "healing" bar only affect it's mouseover effect or does it change something else for heal abilities too?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 07:37:07 AM

About DX11: I am using a Radeon 6950 and the game is perfectly stable and looks (subjectivly) better than DX9. What might be needed though is disabling Tesselation. It looks pretty nifty (Try London and watch the cobble-stone street when turning it on) but it turns the game into a stutterfest. FPS meter drops from 40ish to low 20ies.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 09:52:00 AM

Anyone know exactly how beneficial it is to raise the secondary bar for a weapon type? Say, I already raised the "damage" bar to 6 and use a QL6 weapon, does the lower "healing" bar only affect it's mouseover effect or does it change something else for heal abilities too?

As far as I can tell, it uses whichever is higher to calculate whatever it needs to based off of QL.  For purposes of abilities and gear, both tracks are identical.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 28, 2012, 10:19:58 AM

As far as I can tell, it uses whichever is higher to calculate whatever it needs to based off of QL.  For purposes of abilities and gear, both tracks are identical.
It allows higher QL items to be used and reduces the tendency to get glancing hits on mobs

The talismans each have their own benefit, which is listed in the skills screen.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #66 on: July 28, 2012, 10:45:48 AM

It allows higher QL items to be used and reduces the tendency to get glancing hits on mobs

The talismans each have their own benefit, which is listed in the skills screen.
The higher your weapon ability the less often you will glance or miss so taking a weapon to 10 even if you only have a ql5 item can help.  To actually answer your question about the second bar I'm really not sure, to me it "feels" like I miss and glance less when I fill up both bars but I have no actual numbers.  I would put it as a low priority though, max out your one line of each weapon you use, max out the talismans and then when you have sp to spare you may as well do the secondary bars.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 28, 2012, 10:51:41 AM

The first bar is DPS for all weapons while the second bar was always intended as the support bar, specific for all weapons/roles. What is obvious though is that they kind of dropped the ball on it (they probably had too much stuff cooking for launch and balancing), and I wouldn't be surprised if they completely revamped the "secondary" bars at some point.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:09 AM

The higher your weapon ability the less often you will glance or miss so taking a weapon to 10 even if you only have a ql5 item can help.  To actually answer your question about the second bar I'm really not sure, to me it "feels" like I miss and glance less when I fill up both bars but I have no actual numbers.  I would put it as a low priority though, max out your one line of each weapon you use, max out the talismans and then when you have sp to spare you may as well do the secondary bars.
I would actually max out the talismans first, and only put points into skill up to where they're needed to equip your QL of weapons. Then after that max out your weapons.

The talismans give these benefits at level 10:

Head:  249 Magical Protection
Major:  470 Max Health Increase
Minor:  249 Physical Protection.

If you're at QL 5 the monsters you fight shouldn't require you have to QL 10 weapons.  So survivability would of greater importance.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:34 AM

Also there is an immense difference between Greens/Blues/Purples. QL 10 Greens aren't that great QL 8 Blues are at least as good if not better and QL 8 purples are much better. I know that sounds obvious but the difference is more pronounced than most games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Random, Newbish Questions  
Jump to: