Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 12:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Bat Country Live Server: Gate of Madness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: Should Bat Country stay on Fort Aspenwood or find a low population server?
Stay on Fort Aspenwood. - 5 (12.5%)
Find a low population server. - 12 (30%)
I don't care, either is fine. - 16 (40%)
I don't care, I am not going to WvW with BC - 7 (17.5%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country Live Server: Gate of Madness  (Read 51743 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 17, 2012, 04:03:00 PM

Goons are huge.  Some are swell guys.  Some aren't.  You'll have a sub-section that gets tremendously bored without someone to grief.  That'll end up being anyone without the GOON tag, which there won't be a lot of on their server.  That'll potentially put a huge target on your head.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
WayAbvPar

Reply #106 on: August 17, 2012, 04:32:10 PM

I haven't played the game, so I have no idea- what are the options for non-consensual PvP other than WvW? I would be willing to bet most of the Goon effort will be outward at WvW opponents.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #107 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:07 PM

One possible griefing avenue would be hanging around making events harder while not participating in them.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #108 on: August 17, 2012, 04:41:15 PM

That sounds incredibly boring.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 17, 2012, 04:44:27 PM

yup, in WvW you could build a bunch of battering rams up on the walls of a keep which would simultaneously block the building of useful siege engines and use up supplies needed to build useful stuff.  It's a stretch that they'd do that but I've learned never to underestimate the power of boredom to turn people in a multi-player game into fuckwads.  I will say that I haven't seen any more ass hattery from any of the members of goon affiliated guilds in WoT than that displayed by the rest of players.  
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 17, 2012, 04:56:49 PM

On Mal'ganis in WoW, goons held Flight Masters 'hostage' by kiting them well away from their spawn point but never letting them die.  That sounds boring too, but they did it anyway.

Over and out.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:02 PM

So I dug up some info on guilds, since someone asked a while back and I was curious myself.  Guild perks are server specific, even if the guild itself is multi-server.  Every instance of the guild on every different server has it's own pool of influence points, it's own build queue, and it's own perks.  So it means play on the same server with the people you plan to spend the most time with.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:17 PM

So does shutting down Jita in 12 hour shifts.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #113 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:47 PM

Sounds awesome, makes me like them more.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:03:34 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 17, 2012, 07:51:49 PM

I'm gonna be playing on Northern Shiverpeaks.  If you are looking for a server that will have a strong WvW presence this may be for you.  I'll be playing with FoE but Team Legacy is also going to be on this server.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 18, 2012, 05:06:22 AM

I have no problem playing with the goons. Actually I think I support this idea. I highly doubt there will be much griefing * and if it gets out of hand we can switch servers anyway.

edit: *by the goons
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:12:50 PM by Der Helm »

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #116 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:17 PM

You are so cute.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:46 PM

You are so cute.
Heart

I specified my expecations.

I know them from Eve and from Wow and they only influenced those games time in a good way (from my point of view).

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 18, 2012, 01:05:23 PM

If I do end ip buying it I will probably end up with the people I played Aion with before I quit. They are playing on Black(something).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 19, 2012, 12:40:16 AM

I wouldn't expect playing with Goons to be OH GOD SO TERRIBLE or anything, I just think that being the scrappy underdog server could be more interesting depending on how quickly "scrappy underdog" turns into "desolate wasteland."

edit: but I'm not well-versed in things RvR so deferring to the EvE players' experience makes a lot of sense too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:06:36 AM by ezrast »
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 19, 2012, 02:06:31 AM

I wouldn't expect playing with Goons to be OH GOD SO TERRIBLE or anything, I just think that being the scrappy underdog server could be more interesting depending on how quickly "scrappy underdog" turns into "desolate wasteland."

edit: but I'm not well-versed in things RvR so deferring to the EvE players' experience makes a lot of sense too.

Scrappy underdog (meaning less people and less interest) just leads too often into mindless zergs that are not that much fun against organized opponents. Playing alongside larger guilds or alliances usually means some direction even to the "unwashed masses" playing on the same side. The servers with no large guilds or alliances will get totally wiped by ones that do until server ladder for the wvw has adjusted itself enough.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 19, 2012, 08:20:38 AM

What Satael said.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 19, 2012, 10:28:28 AM

So I dug up some info on guilds, since someone asked a while back and I was curious myself.  Guild perks are server specific, even if the guild itself is multi-server.  Every instance of the guild on every different server has it's own pool of influence points, it's own build queue, and it's own perks.  So it means play on the same server with the people you plan to spend the most time with.

I just came across this, too... and it's actually kind of a big deal for my guild, since we're spread across 3 continents and 6-7 timezones... and as we are kinda smallish, we will need all the influence we can get. I am not sure how 'guesting' will work with this, specifically whether it'll allow our Euro members to guest on an EU server when soloing / when everyone on the US servers is asleep (or SPVP, if switching to an EU lobby gives you EU games with better ping). Guess we have to account for a 'best case' and 'worst case' scenario. Ohhhhh, I see.

e: to summarize, the main question is - if all of the guild members have server A as their home server, but some occasionally guest on servers B, C, and D, does the 'chapter' on server A still get their influence or does it end up sorta-wasted on B/C/D?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:36:39 AM by Zetor »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 19, 2012, 12:08:39 PM

e: to summarize, the main question is - if all of the guild members have server A as their home server, but some occasionally guest on servers B, C, and D, does the 'chapter' on server A still get their influence or does it end up sorta-wasted on B/C/D?

This is the way it works from everything I've read.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: August 19, 2012, 01:39:37 PM

Pretty sure all points go to the Home server.  Guesting should not change that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:01 PM

Which means that the people on the remote servers get nothing, since they don't get the perks from the home server? That seems unlikely to be how it works.  Head scratch

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: August 19, 2012, 03:04:49 PM

They get to play on a different server? that's already way beyond what you can do on any other game.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 19, 2012, 03:21:06 PM

Unless you count The Secret World.  If you do, then in fact you can do that in another game.

Over and out.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 19, 2012, 09:18:23 PM

So, am I understanding this right? BC still doesn't know what server it's going to be on?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:12 PM

So, am I understanding this right? BC still doesn't know what server it's going to be on?

Would you expect any different?

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 20, 2012, 12:56:54 AM

We should have a massive keg brawl tournament, winner gets to choose server and then be overruled by Schild.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 20, 2012, 05:58:54 AM

Which means that the people on the remote servers get nothing, since they don't get the perks from the home server? That seems unlikely to be how it works.  Head scratch

As far as I can tell, the only guild limitation is that you can only play WvW on your server. You can rep BC for another WvW server, and gain either benefits, or even take keeps/fortifications. But you know, if we're all spread out, that's unlikely.

The points just all go to the guild. They're not really associated with a server.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 20, 2012, 06:17:17 AM

As far as I can tell, the only guild limitation is that you can only play WvW on your server. You can rep BC for another WvW server, and gain either benefits, or even take keeps/fortifications. But you know, if we're all spread out, that's unlikely.

The points just all go to the guild. They're not really associated with a server.

Huh?  Straight from the wiki page you linked:

However, Influence is accrued and spent separately by the guild members on each world. For example, a guild with Canadian players on Darkhaven, British players on Blacktide, and Berliners on Riverside will have three different pools of Influence and three different build queues.

That seems to say that each guild has a separater influence pool per server (although the nationality of the players seems superfluous and makes this confusing).
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 20, 2012, 06:21:03 AM

I fail at reading comprehension. :(
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #134 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:39 AM

We should have a massive keg brawl tournament, winner gets to choose server and then be overruled by Schild.

That hurts, man.

Yah, I tried democracy once.  Didn't go so well. 

-Rasix
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #135 on: August 20, 2012, 08:04:25 AM

Well I have decided I will be making Bat Country on Maguuma, Way will be leader if he wishes otherwise I will be leader by default again.  Can't make everyone happy, but a decision has to be made and Maguuma seem to have the most favorable reaction.  Please send all hate mail to Zombie Signe.

That influence/guild perks tied servers seems pretty lame.  Not up to their usual level of "freedom" with design choices. Hopefully it is a back end limitation that with fixed later.

"Me am play gods"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #136 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:06 AM

What the... why are you deciding?

-Rasix
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #137 on: August 20, 2012, 10:34:13 AM

Who else will?

Or maybe we should wait until everyone has lost interest in the game to decide a server?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:37:03 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:02 AM

The funny truth is that the people most vocal about the server decision will likely be the first to leave the game. 

True story. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #139 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:27 AM

Look how well it worked in TOR, we had a server pre-chosen, no confusion at all.

Until they shut it down. Details.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Bat Country Live Server: Gate of Madness  
Jump to: