Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you like  (Read 123097 times)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:41 PM

Often times the dragon mission reward text is obscure and/or meaningless, but there are definitely some gems in there.

"An idle vampire is like an Illuminati strapped to a lie detector or a Templar forced to dance.  If you want to understand a creature, you must see how it behaves outside of its comfort zone.  This reinforces the evolved nature of the Dragon.  We are always comfortable."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #246 on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:04 PM

Went back to Egypt and soloed the Last Legion.  Got all the way to the last fight and was thinking "he's not going to do that is he?" and then.. he did.  So I died at the very end of a long, long ass fight.

Tweaked my build into something with a bunch of sustain and ground it out.  Quite an epic fight if you're solo.  There's a need for single target DPS, sustain, and AOE. I imagine most tanks wouldn't have too many problems. 

-Rasix
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #247 on: August 15, 2012, 05:44:18 AM

I like how Fusang projects has been designed and provides constant Quest exp from taking points.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: August 15, 2012, 02:00:34 PM

After playing GW2 for the first time I appreciate the PvE in this game even more.  It's almost opposite in approach, and I like TSW's focused method so much more than GW2's scattered mindless grindfest.  TSW really is the best single player PvE experience I've ever had in an MMO, and by quite a margin.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: August 15, 2012, 04:21:44 PM

After playing GW2 for the first time I appreciate the PvE in this game even more.  It's almost opposite in approach, and I like TSW's focused method so much more than GW2's scattered mindless grindfest.  TSW really is the best single player PvE experience I've ever had in an MMO, and by quite a margin.

This is why I wont be playing GW2.  Sub or not.  Time is a precious commodity and I'd prefer to use it on something that compels me.  If I want nice PvP in an MMO I'll go play MWO or PS2.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: August 17, 2012, 02:20:53 AM

Transylvania continues the high quality.  I still can't finish a few hard quests (zaha!) but hopefully soon I can.  I love the women at the windmill.  Need more quests from them stat in the next update!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: August 17, 2012, 08:48:02 AM

I just finished the end of Solomon's storyline and just... wow.  It's like playing a game designed by a peyote addict or something.  I cant better describe it.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #252 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:43 PM

I really like the Dead Man who first appears in Egypt. I've only gotten through the first cutscene where he is shown and I'm already in love with this character.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:56 PM

This is why I wont be playing GW2.  Sub or not.  Time is a precious commodity and I'd prefer to use it on something that compels me.  If I want nice PvP in an MMO I'll go play MWO or PS2.

Agreed.  I was going to get GW2 and this game delayed that at least by months.  If they keep pumping out updates with great content like they have now, who knows...

This is like all those great adventure games plus RPG's I used to love put all together and seemingly unending with a big red MMO cherry on top.  It is only made better by the fact that they have broken out of the Fantasy genre and into horror and not just in a FPS zombie-fest way either.  This is hitting all my good chords right now.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: August 20, 2012, 07:07:29 PM

So I'm heading into the carpathian fangs next time I play.  Still fantastic.  It's looking like this will be the second MMO I actually consume all the leveling content of (the first being WoW).  That's pretty impressive to me. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:12 PM

I like how I occasionally catch myself having MMO-hygiene.   Ohhhhh, I see.   Been a while since that's happened.
Anyways, entered Egypt and I love it way more than BM... though BM had its moments definitely.  There's a lot of really cool intrigue going on in this zone.   And the inclusion of egyptian lore and archaeology makes a nice backdrop.

I can tell I'm well behind the level curve still but fuckit.  Daddy needs AP.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: August 28, 2012, 05:49:52 AM

This game has spoiled me I think.

I tried GW2 which everyone seems to be raving about and things that annoy me there include:
i) Being stuck with a class
ii) Generic fantasy twaddle setting
iii) Boring NPCs. There's no sense that the NPCs you talk to actually have different personalities.
iv) Static combat. Basically you just press buttons, there's no need to move around unless you're losing or you've killed a mob and want to move on to the next.

Thought I'd post it here rather than upset the GW2 fans. None of these things bothered me in previous MMOs so I'm blaming TSW.

I hope they give us a better PvP game in TSW one day though.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: August 28, 2012, 06:14:15 AM

Yup, that's why I'm more than happy splitting time between TSW and GW2. Basically if anyone's on TSW I'll go there most times for pve fix and pvp fix on gw2 just as I figured....though gw2 wvw queues are pissing me off
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #258 on: August 28, 2012, 09:14:30 AM

I was all hyped for GW2 until TSW came out. When I played it in a beta weekend, most of my enthusiasm just drained away.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #259 on: August 28, 2012, 11:17:13 AM

This game has spoiled me I think.

I tried GW2 which everyone seems to be raving about and things that annoy me there include:
i) Being stuck with a class
ii) Generic fantasy twaddle setting
iii) Boring NPCs. There's no sense that the NPCs you talk to actually have different personalities.
iv) Static combat. Basically you just press buttons, there's no need to move around unless you're losing or you've killed a mob and want to move on to the next.

Thought I'd post it here rather than upset the GW2 fans. None of these things bothered me in previous MMOs so I'm blaming TSW.

I hope they give us a better PvP game in TSW one day though.

Don't look at it as TSW having spoiled you; be happy that there are now enough different games in the marketplace to serve everyone's preferences more exactly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: August 28, 2012, 12:43:14 PM

Okay.  Egypt is so much win it's scary.  Just, wow.  Cmon people, play this game... really.

I died. And died a lot.  Until I got smart and actually played the game as a game and not a button-masher.  The solutions are right there in front of you sometimes, and this is what frustrates some people about questing in TSW (at least the ones that dont minmax/overlvl or grp to solve problems).   Also the best investigation missions so far I've had are here. Once I solve it though I tend to cheat the procedures so as to not waste time.  Typically it's "ohh, that's an augustine roman cipher for mythology from the 14th dynasty!"  Then I just cheat.

You could really justify the purchase just on two simple features:
-The writing
-The puzzles

You could skip a lot of the fluffy parts if you wanted as well.  Plenty of people in my cabal haven't really focused on the eccentric parts of the game at all.  They run NM's every night and so forth and have plenty of fun trying to beat the system.  Essentially they've skipped much of everything 'cept the storyline and just bought their way to good gear.  They grind AP in the dungeons for skillz.

You're really given the freedom to play any way you wish.   I could've run Egypt using a simple inner-wheel build if I wanted; with the right approach.  There's nothing that says you need to rape AP to accomplish certain goals unless you're a clothing whore and like to collect.

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: August 28, 2012, 05:57:15 PM

I disagree with GW2 having static combat, but otherwise, yeah.  That said, GW2 is growing on me, and I do applaud them for the game in general, but... TSW does have some kind of magic that is hard to find elsewhere.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: August 28, 2012, 06:35:04 PM

I really liked my 2nd Templar rank up quest (the Agartha centric one).

I actually didn't mind dying 3/4 times because I was stubborn and so sure I could just burn him with my current blades pure dps build. After a couple deaths, I got the hint that maybe some survivability would help as well as the glowing visual cues.

This actually got me to consider changing my skills more often, previously I was just facerolling stuff due to my high QL weapon.

I'd get lifetime but $200 is a lot and not sure about how Funcom's long term prospects...  sad
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #263 on: August 29, 2012, 09:48:03 AM

I have to admit my reaction to first contact with GW2 was somewhat similar -- tried a warrior during stress test and while it was absolutely meh experience mainly because of still regularly playing a warrior in TERA, there was a secondary feeling of "urgh even TSW combat felt better". Admittedly my TSW characters were mostly using ranged weapons, and i reckon melee experience would be closer to GW2.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:27 AM

If you can manage to sit still through the majority of TSW gameplay, you're either a) dying a shitton or b) not playing much of the game.  Granted, I'm saying this as a turret-based Grifter.  I've got to keep my mobs in my "death circle" for max dps.  When I've gone pure ranged ele, I still had to kite and strafe a lot... then there's the huge swath of missions that require situational awareness and movement just due to the way they're designed.  This is all before considering bossmob animations, environmental effects, and active dodge.  Sit still? LoL  My left hand hurts.

It's like those people that bitched about Blue Mountain.  Those are the wack-a-mole people who think it's cool to just wade into a nest of bugs and lay waste, without studying the pathing (which this/AoC engine handled better than any other MMO engine to date really), terrain, etc.  Then they die and flame the forums that there's too many mobs.   Ohhhhh, I see.     I will admit that FC level designers do go a bit crazy with their ai-pathing though (mostly because they just can with the tools they have), but they always leave you a solution - you just have to find it.

So yah, if anyone else posts that they're jaded because they can sit still.  Feel free to ignore them, because it's a patently false belief.  No different than a metacritic review really; they havent played the game.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:53 AM

If you can manage to sit still through the majority of TSW gameplay, you're either a) dying a shitton or b) not playing much of the game.  Granted, I'm saying this as a turret-based Grifter.  I've got to keep my mobs in my "death circle" for max dps.  When I've gone pure ranged ele, I still had to kite and strafe a lot... then there's the huge swath of missions that require situational awareness and movement just due to the way they're designed.  This is all before considering bossmob animations, environmental effects, and active dodge.  Sit still? LoL  My left hand hurts.

It's like those people that bitched about Blue Mountain.  Those are the wack-a-mole people who think it's cool to just wade into a nest of bugs and lay waste, without studying the pathing (which this/AoC engine handled better than any other MMO engine to date really), terrain, etc.  Then they die and flame the forums that there's too many mobs.   Ohhhhh, I see.     I will admit that FC level designers do go a bit crazy with their ai-pathing though (mostly because they just can with the tools they have), but they always leave you a solution - you just have to find it.

So yah, if anyone else posts that they're jaded because they can sit still.  Feel free to ignore them, because it's a patently false belief.  No different than a metacritic review really; they havent played the game.

Nobody's said that about TSW though:) I was bitching about going back to traditional combat after playing this game.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:28 PM

I wasnt talking about you Palmer, but others here who posted as such.  Maybe Kingsmouth was at times a bit whack-a-mole by necessity (can't put the newuser in a difficult situation) but really it ended there.

Healers maybe have the most legitimate gripe.  But that's the case in every RPG ever made.  And to combat THAT, there's a lot of positional healskills that'll require you to move around.  Not just tab-target stuff.  And to gather resources you still need a target to build from.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: August 30, 2012, 12:35:42 PM

I've only been healing PvP, but I haven't found a way to standstill yet.  Either my heal target goes out of my range constantly or an enemy comes jumping into my face wtfpwn me.  Standing still is not an option.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: August 30, 2012, 02:11:13 PM

I've heard of folk getting barked out of elite groups due to standing still actually.  There comes a point when your runs will wipe if you do, even if properly geared.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: August 30, 2012, 02:19:53 PM

A number of mechanics in Elite/NM can/will 1shot players which is why that issue is around. Also, some ground effects are placed where you were standing so by moving around you'll basically be outside of the ground target by the time it finishes casting

For pvp - standing around healing makes you stand out more than someone who's healing in a group, standing around using blood spells makes it even more obvious as the enemy just has to follow the big red line back to the caster. Unfortunately, the raid/party ui is awful and it's a little bit tougher to heal others while moving around so much outside of AE healing which makes the total experience of healing even worse. AR/Fist healers have it a bit easier as they both look like they're DPSing while also being in the mix of people making them harder to target and find outside of some green/yellow graphics that are identifiable for those who know what to look for.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #270 on: September 07, 2012, 04:42:32 PM

Finally hit Romania and loving it. Doing  the mission that involves assassinating Vampires. I feel like Blade - only white, with pony tails and much cooler!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:27 AM

I just reached Trans also.  It's very impressive how the writing and voiceovers are just as good, if not better than all the zones previous.  The mob model work is also probably the best ever.  Also starting to run elites now and the LFG tool is a godsend for this. 

Love how I can be a Grifter and then an effective tank, no problem. (at this point in the game with this much AP)

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: September 21, 2012, 06:58:51 AM

I like that the characters are memorable enough to spawn things like this:

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-sketch-a-day-drawings-full-sized/

And that I remember them all vividly, unlike every other MMORPG out there.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: September 21, 2012, 07:58:06 AM

Those really are pretty awesome.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: September 26, 2012, 06:33:12 PM

I love the main storyline, I've just hit Transylvania now as well and man do the mobs hit hard. I"m glad I've branched into other trees instead of just maxing out a whole tree. It's amazing how you can unlock a deck and not come closing to completing an outer wheel.

Inner wheel unlocks are so easy though.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: September 28, 2012, 02:17:06 PM

If you look closely you'll see a lot of useful focusless passives you can sink AP into.  They're EXTREMELY useful for fleshing out all sorts of decks so dont just fixate on whatever you've got focii in.  And by now you should have a healthy dose of misc. abilities.

On that note, one of the great things about the skill system is that as they release new content you'll always have something to spend points on.  Which may take your character into entirely new directions.  Too often in MMOs you get new content but it's really just a gear grind only.  In TSW it's both gear and skill (and now aux. wheel too). 

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 26, 2013, 09:59:13 AM

Finally bit the bullet and picked up a copy off of Steam.  So far, I'm not disappointed.  Which is surprising to me; I do love Tornquist's work with the Longest Journey, and his work is showing through so far.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #277 on: January 27, 2013, 03:09:14 PM

The second half of Egypt is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS 

I finally finished my Slayer deck, working on the gun/sword one now. After this, it is all about gunslinger.

My "Get On The Pain Train" combat vest was fun, but I am diggin the slayer duds.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #278 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:07 PM

Mushrooms.

Should have posted this a long time ago.

There is a mission in Transylvania that has you eat mushrooms and follow the lights.
You get a few mushrooms each time you do the mission and only need 1 to finish it.
Mushrooms can be eaten anywhere and have the same effect.
Makes running dungeons AMAZING  awesome, for real

Also, Siren Song  Heart

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #279 on: February 16, 2013, 11:15:47 AM

Well I just picked this up and

OMFG I love the character design and dialogue for the NPCs and... Fuck just watching the intro videos for the factions when in character creation can give you goose bumps!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like  
Jump to: