Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you like  (Read 123126 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:05 AM

I could put so many things here, but I want to start from something small that I found out two minutes ago.

I just noticed that when I'm pounding at certain mobs there's like a little bit of their HP (assuming you have enabled HP overhead bars for NPCs) bar which has a different colour. Took me a while to understand what it is, but basically that's the amount of "shielded HP" they have left". It happens mostly when they cast a protective bubble on themselves (as in WoW or SWTOR), but it used to drive me nuts in SWTOR cause the only feedback you get is "ABSORBED", while here I can totally tell at a glance how much shield they have left. You can check this easily with the ultists in the southernmost part of Kingsmouth.

As a side note, I suggest you turn on nametags for mobs, and healthbars and target outline both for mobs and players. It helps a lot especially in PvP. With many skills that fire off even without an obvious target, I really you want to have an idea of who I am going to hurt with my next skill.

(Taking bets about how long before Lakov_sanite makes a "What went wrong" thread)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:26 AM

Limited space but unlimited bags out of nowhere? A crafter's dream.  Heart
Never had an easier time organizing my inventory.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:15:48 AM

Limited space but unlimited bags out of nowhere? A crafter's dream.  Heart
Never had an easier time organizing my inventory.

It's pretty pathetic compared to some of the better inventory mods in WoW though.   Auto sorting should be mandatory in this industry by now.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:32:19 AM

Getting a blowjob in the prologue as dragon.  I could not believe that...

On a more serious note holy crap I love the zones and atmosphere.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:18:37 PM

Getting a blowjob in the prologue as dragon.  I could not believe that...
That it doesn't change for female characters. DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:17 AM

Crafting tutorial missions (free weapon once you get to kingsmouth).  I don't remember these from beta.   Now I finally know how to craft glyphs.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 02:01:02 AM

Crafting tutorial missions (free weapon once you get to kingsmouth).  I don't remember these from beta.   Now I finally know how to craft glyphs.

Where is that at?  I have no clue how to craft yet.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:33:49 AM

The weapons one is just outside the police station beside the steps and that NPC, Boone is it? It's one of those green, misc missions. The glyph one is in the room with Madame Rogét on the bookshelf.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 03:46:40 AM

It's called "Zen and the art of Weapon Mainteinance", and it's on a table just outside of the sheriff's office.
There's another similar quest in Madame Roget's apartment, to learn how to craft Item Prefixes (augments, basically).

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:49 AM

The voice acting! I love the fact that they talk like real people would. Favourites so far are Edgar, Che and Dame Julia. They've all made me laugh out loud and it's been a while since a game has done that.
Rasix

Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 03:26:33 PM

I really like that there are a lot of small visual improvements in some of the quest stuff.  I didn't think they'd necessarily improve this over beta, but they did.  Adds a nice touch.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 03:39:13 PM

I love the "tokens", the "handouts". That kind of stuff we used to value a lot in pen and paper RPGing back in the 80s, you know, when the GameMaster gave you the actual picture of a painting you were looking at, or the actual scribbled notes you found on a corpse. There's hundreds of them here, and I think they are really, rally well done and add a lot to the atmosphere and the RPing feel of the game.

I mean:

*SPOILERS (all from Kingsmouth)*

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 04:05:42 PM

That made me think of something else. I love the fake websites that you have read to get information for some of the puzzle quests, really nice touch. I read something about later NPCs having Twitter feeds you have to check as well which is just  awesome, for real if it's true.

Oh and my chat went again, so good night to everyone in chat  Ohhhhh, I see.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 08:38:37 PM

The humor is pretty good too. There was a quest giver who was voiced by tuvok from voyager and he said something to the effect of "this isn't star trek."  And the person standing next to him asked if he made a star trek joke.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:58:25 PM

Yeah that one made me chuckle.  I think he referenced 'Sending in the Red Shirts'.  His delivery when stating that no, he did not just make a star trek joke, was golden.

I've certainly had some laugh out loud moments. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 01:02:41 AM

I'm never going to an amusement park again.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:45 AM

One thing they got right absolutely: ArenaNet needs to play this now and figure out why it's so damned easy to double tap and escape from the AOEs of doom here and next to impossible to do it in GW2. Whether it's the size of the warning circle, the width of the lines, the distances, or the amount of time you're given, something is working here that I feel isn't working at all in GW2.

As someone who lives on Cape Cod. I'm having a ridiculously good time looking at what they got wrong or right about a New England coastal tourist town. The tourist traps are spot on, the extensive sewers not so much. I love the humor in the voiceovers, but they go on too long.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 08:09:51 AM

Whether it's the size of the warning circle, the width of the lines, the distances, or the amount of time you're given, something is working here that I feel isn't working at all in GW2.

Heavily agreed on this.   Feels crappy in GW2 and awesome in Secret World.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:50 AM

They changed and added a SHITTON of stuff since the last time I played in beta. The game plays much better, looks better (though they still have no fucking idea how an elbow is supposed to bend) and the story is better.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:18:43 AM

Something Wicked

Best MMO quest ever (especially if you don't use the browser. ;)  ). So far. This is the kind of thing only offered in single player RPG's to date.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:13 AM

The villain in the story quest. He's not a cackling evil villain, he's just a complete wanker. Lots of fun.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 10:34:53 AM

Something Wicked, is that the one with the ravens? If so then it actually felt pretty dumb to me -- the sheriff will allow you to inspect their computer as you see fit, but you can't ask her to open the empty cell for you? Whatever. It'd make more sense if the step needed to get inside was required afterwards, maybe.

fake edit: did like the speech storyline villain gives you when you catch up with him, though.
Rasix

Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 10:40:23 AM

Kirsten's email after the archives encounter with him is.. hilarious.  Kirsten Geary for President.

-Rasix
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:07 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 02:27:28 PM

Yeah, after I got into beta, I made a run down there just to see if it help up.

It almost does. The question is, when the area changes, as it will because that part of Brooklyn is in serious flux now, will they update the game to reflect it?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 04:02:11 PM

There's Ragnar's comment in that thread which implies they plan to -- apparently they've already did some updates to it to keep up with time, and he comments about passing the pictures to the art department for future reference.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 10:00:40 PM

When you get to Egypt... "If you truly want to understand humanity, read the comments section on YouTube."

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 05:13:05 AM

Things I like? This trailer. Easily the best I've seen for a MMORPG.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:36 AM

That trailer spoils too many awesome moments!  I suppose it's for the best.  They need the hype.

I like basically everything about the game except technical issues.  Specifically:

1) One quest at a time I at first disliked, but have grown to enjoy.  I realize I dislike the ADD nature of modern WoW questing systems, where you are tackling 5 different tasks in an area at a given time.  One quest at a time allows you to actually tell a good scripted story with each quest as well without worrying the player will get sidetracked by other objectives.  I think it works wonderfully, for the most part.  There are a few moments where backtracking has been annoying, but overall they've done a very good job of designing around that, and the game is so filled with atmosphere that I don't mind going through the same place multiple times.  Someone compared it to Silent Hill and I think there is something there (although not precisely the same, since things don't really change).

2) Combat is good.  Seriously.  I'm not sure what problems people had with it in beta, or if there was a miracle patch, or what.  I enjoy it, and it feels very fluid to me.  It does take a while to kill individual mobs which is a bit of a shock after SWTOR's 'kill minion mobs in 2 hits' style, and I can see people disliking the slower pace.  In general I like the slower pace, and if you go balls-out DPS you can get a faster pace if you want it.  The biggest issue  I have with it is the sometimes laggy animations, knockdowns/impaired in particular feels really bad when it occurs to you.  Just off.  Other than that it's quite fun.  I think one of the big issues with combat is what build you are using.  There are plenty of builds out there which have to be just god-awful boring.  Setting one up which you enjoy should be possible for just about anyone given the large amount of mechanics and interactions they have going for them.  Otherwise good.  Deck Building is fun.  I just wish I had access to everything.  Right now.  Kind of wish skill progression wasn't so linear and you could just buy any skill you wanted at any time.  That would be nice.

3)  Quest design, atmosphere, etc.  Yeah, they just knock the ball out of the park here.  There are a few quests which have disappointed me, generally the side quests, by being basically 'kill 10 of this'.  The majority however have been more interesting than that  and require either thought or present an interesting story/dynamic.  The characters are fun and I really like the pacing the game has.  Go out quest, chill out and listen to the quest-giver speech.  It's more formulaic than I would have hoped for perhaps.  All in all the usual monotony of quest-grinding that is usually the hallmark of modern MMOs is gone.  It basically feels like SWTOR class story did for me, except it's almost all the quests instead of just 'core' ones. with more compelling writing and better design.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:41:13 AM by trias_e »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 09:06:08 AM

I can't get over how much I am enjoying this game.  I like it so much that I am trying to go very slowly because I don't want it to end.  It's like other games have one very good quest out of every ten or fifty but here 9/10 of the quests are great to incredible.  Even the courier missions have twists and turns.  I'm not going to try and dissect why I like it but the number of times I've said "Cool" and "Holy shit" out loud in front of my computer has been many.

I doubt it will have enough content to be a long term game but I'm really enjoying the ride.  I hope the higher level zones are as good as these three in Kingsmouth, I am worried about another AoC Tortage type situation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:00:50 PM by Miasma »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 10:04:54 AM

Things I like? This trailer. Easily the best I've seen for a MMORPG.

The trailer is totally spoiltastic, but it's so. Fucking. Good.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 10:20:49 AM

That trailer was amazing. So far I am enjoying the hell out of this game. I'm very annoyed that the gaming press so far seems to be ignoring it. I hope it turns into a sleeper hit. This really deserves to be Funcom's first true success story in an MMO. Also, the forums have a thread with people who have already "finished" the game. Apparently they basically skipped all cutscenes and exploration and just powered through the game and are now bored. Idiots.

Finally, this article is quite interesting. Especially this bit.

End game is a different monster to tackle. I think one of the biggest faults of MMOs today is that they create content for the players to consume, and when it's consumed, players never visit it again. Reusing the content in a clever way can make development cost lower, and player enjoyment bigger. Our game is slightly different from other MMOs since we don't have any level, and end game is a bit harder to define, but players will have plenty to do. All our dungeons are available in different difficulties, and some of them are insanely hard. This will only be for the best of the best. Also, in every zone the player has played through will have certain camps with monsters that were too hard for them to fight when they visited the zone for the first time. However, when they are strong enough, they can go back and whoop the monsters' asses. By doing this they will gather different puzzle pieces, which they can combine, and then summon forth a demon to fight. If they are successful they will get some nice gear, but a also another puzzle piece. If a player gathers enough of these puzzle pieces, they can summon the region boss, which is a huge baddie! Fighting these guys will require lots of players and very nice coordination. These guys will drop even better gear, but also a puzzle piece. These pieces are for the world boss, which is... Well... Let's just say you need to be a pretty frikking awesome player to tackle him...

I already encountered what I believe are those mobs in Kingsmouth. They're by the airport and I was unable to do much to them except tickle them. There is also a similar group of mobs out in the water by a giant "brood pod" looking thing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:13 PM

I'm very annoyed that the gaming press so far seems to be ignoring it.

After AOC and AO, why wouldn't they? I didn't even bother to log into beta because LOLZ funcom.

I think the fact that the Hype Train for this was in HO Scale is, in the long run, going to be a plus for the game. It may never hit a million subs, but I'm absolutely certain that three months from now, it will have more players than it does today. And that will be the first time that's happened since 2004.

I was a complete skeptic and the game has won me over completely despite it being very much not the kind of game I usually enjoy.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 01:30:24 PM

This game makes kill-10-rat quests fun (even more so than SWTOR, imo). That alone deserves a DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 01:35:37 PM

After AOC and AO, why wouldn't they? I didn't even bother to log into beta because LOLZ funcom.

I think the fact that the Hype Train for this was in HO Scale is, in the long run, going to be a plus for the game. It may never hit a million subs, but I'm absolutely certain that three months from now, it will have more players than it does today. And that will be the first time that's happened since 2004.

I was a complete skeptic and the game has won me over completely despite it being very much not the kind of game I usually enjoy.

I am the exact same in this case. I honestly had no plans to try this, but figured I had a couple of months until GW2 and would give it a whirl, I ended up absolutely loving this game even if I don't find the pvp all that great (long queues don't help).

This game makes kill-10-rat quests fun (even more so than SWTOR, imo). That alone deserves a DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

Way to set the bar for comparison really damn low
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like  
Jump to: