Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale Buying Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale Buying Guide  (Read 102670 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:30 PM

So any idea when this years sale starts?

I am the .00000001428%
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 03:45:21 PM

It's was expected either last yesterday or today, but with Amazon starting theirs Sunday I'd guess Steam's is Monday. But no word yet from Steam
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 07:45:53 PM

But still Amazon is still US only I assume, so only a competition in one region.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:27 AM

I hate to admit it, but EA guy is correct when he says this:
Nah, he's not.  If a game is discounted 75% from release at a point arbitrarily far in the future (say a year or two), that in no way diminishes the title.  It means it gets exposure to people who would have never played or paid anything at all for it, and they may very well find out it was a great game.  Further, they may just buy the next one in the series when they would have ignored it as well.

If something comes out on the PC using Steamworks, even if I want it, I won't buy it on or near release. I wait until it's massively discounted, then I buy it. I have a pile of AAA stuff on Steam that I still haven't gotten around to touching, and I'm definitely not alone.

The only exceptions to this in the last couple of years were Shogun 2 which came with a mountain of extra stuff, (still not played at all) and Space Marine, for which I got the Physical SE because I wanted the art book, and happened to have a Steamworks activation.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 08:44:35 AM

So any idea when this years sale starts?

The gossipers over at gog.com claim it'll start on the 12th of July, apparently on the basis of a post by the indie developer for Cubemen. *shrugs*
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:39 AM

DOW2 is really such a weird animal of a game. I bought it and the 2 expansions and have barely played it. The squad size is so small and it suffers so much from small map/The Tube syndrome. DOW1 is just a better game. The DLC for DOW2 feels really nickel-and-dimey too.

It's shit compared to the original DoW
I can't feel the fun either in campaign or multiplay.
It was fun for a few levels then it grew repetitive cause the abilities hardly change enough. And the boss fights are one trick ponies.
Multi play - the less said the better. Will not grab.

Space Marine is the only worthwhile pickup.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 10:19:52 AM

DoW2 appeals to a different group than DoW1.  I didn't like DoW1 at all. I hate RTS games, but I really enjoyed 2.  I wouldn't call it shit any more than I'd call DOW1 shit, just different.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 03:47:14 PM

It's shit compared to the original DoW
Truth.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:45 AM

Kind of late on this for the sale but I would buy DoW2 just for the Last Stand mode.  I played it just about as much as the single player game.  There's something really addicting about seeing how far you can make it while also leveling up your character.  If they fleshed it out into its own game with more maps and more champions it would be really interesting.  I didn't care for the standard multi-player mode however.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 12:10:06 PM

I hope the rumors about the 12th aren't true. I really want the sale to be this week.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 08:13:43 AM

Rumors now are that the sale will be on Thursday, as apparently all their previous summer sales started on thursdays.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:42 AM

Rumors now are that the sale will be on Thursday, as apparently all their previous summer sales started on thursdays.

That's an old rumour, as the sales started on the last Thursday of June the last two years. It's a pretty small pool of data to really draw any conclusions to assume that it will start on a Thursday. People are just being manic.

The only "real" information was that some indie dev supposedly leaked the dates but the thread was quickly nuked. That's where the 12th thing came from.

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 11:28:00 AM

The 12th is a Thursday.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:08 PM

Indeed.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 05:44:26 PM

I don't want to wait that long! GRRRRRR

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 12:51:14 AM

I hate to admit it, but EA guy is correct when he says this:
Nah, he's not.  If a game is discounted 75% from release at a point arbitrarily far in the future (say a year or two), that in no way diminishes the title.  It means it gets exposure to people who would have never played or paid anything at all for it, and they may very well find out it was a great game.  Further, they may just buy the next one in the series when they would have ignored it as well.

As the chart points out, there is becoming a tendency amongst Steam users to just wait for the sale. So you need to have your game either as a must-have (reinforcing the big budget hit driven model) or hope that you sell 4x as much at a quarter the cost 12 months or so after your game has launched to earn the same money.

Valve doesn't really care - it gets its cut either way. And gamers get cheap games. Game developers can hope the dice roll their way.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 06:06:00 AM

The only thing i see is developers pricing themselves out of the market. Steam is a great indicator of what the consumer is willing to pay for your product. The economy hasn't been good enough to justify an increase to $60 given the quality we have seen this year (or lack there of).

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 06:31:19 AM

At least for me, with most games its "Buy for 75% cheaper even if I will never play them" or "Don't buy the game at all".

There is no way I would buy these dustcatchers for full price. So its 25% revenue they would have never got otherwise.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 06:37:14 AM

I think the issue is as much time as it is money.  Most of us don't have time to play all the game we'd hypothetically like to.  As a result, there is no point in buying everything new to begin with even if we can afford it, so might as well wait to get it cheap anyway.  I used to buy things at full price all the time because there were probably only 2-3 releases I cared about at all in a year.  Now there are plenty of games worth playing, but not enough time to play them all.  Some get skipped, some get steam saled later.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 04, 2012, 06:40:04 AM

Steam has made me less desperate. Once upon a time seeing a "decent" PC game in a retail store would have been enough incentive to buy. Now I have a library of lots of games, many of them good, even more of them unfinished, and more coming all the time. It's made me a lot more choosy.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 04, 2012, 09:53:37 AM

I think the issue is as much time as it is money.
It's pretty much money for me.  I've bought plenty of games I don't have time to play, but find very few worth what they want to charge.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: July 04, 2012, 11:00:12 AM

Its a money issue for me add well. I've always regretted paying more than $40 for any game in the last 2 years. I resolved to stop doing that.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:04 AM

I have only paid full price for 2 games in the last 3 years.  The first was Deus Ex: HR, but that's because I planned it out so it would effectively cost me only $15 ($10 credit from amazon for pre-ordering a few days before release, play the hell out of it and beat it in a week, sell it back to Amazon for $35).

I also bought Diablo 3 because, well blizzard games don't go on sale.

Other then that I buy steam sales or used games.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:13 PM

There's also a difference between "people are waiting for sales" and "people are spending less on games."  When I have money, I spend about as much on games as I did before Steam, it's just spread out over five or six titles instead of one.  Take ten people with a $50.00 budget and have them each buy a different $50.00 game, and each game brings in $50.00 to the developer.  Take ten people with a $50.00 budget and have them each buy all ten games for $5.00 each, and each game STILL brings in $50.00, and each gamer has ten times as many games.  Sounds like a win to me.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:40 PM

but find very few worth what they want to charge.

I don't disagree by and large.  My point is just mainly that when I already have games I play regularly, I am less and less willing to spend full OR sale price on things.  At first I bought loads of stuff on steam sale just because it was novel to get AAA games for 5 bucks.  Nowadays I often pass on games I "want" for even the sale price because I know I'll never sit down and seriously play it.  On the other hand, I am perfectly willing to shell out day 1 price on a game I know I'll play a lot (recent examples: Diablo 3, Civ 5 expansion).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 03:56:15 PM

Also, I compare my gaming budget to my movie budget from 5 years ago.

While both are down, games have stayed steady over the last 2 years, while movies have dropped off to practically zero. I see this as both entertainment genres sort of making the same mistakes, but movies are doing it at a more obvious and rapid rate. In 5 more years, if trends continue with no real innovation and nothing but carbon copy reboots of successful projects, I can see my budget for both disappearing entirely.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 05:08:30 PM

The only thing i see is developers pricing themselves out of the market. Steam is a great indicator of what the consumer is willing to pay for your product.

The answer there is almost always, "as little as possible". It's a reason why retail in general is so dependent on sales.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #62 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:08 PM

hmmm. what are you guys aiming to snag anyway? Tomorrow's my last day at work..looking forward to a long break.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #63 on: July 04, 2012, 11:56:24 PM

I have no plans for anything in particular. That's been true of the last two steam sales as well, but I always end up buying a few smallish things that I then never get around to playing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 05:03:30 AM

Probably a few odds and ends and that'll be it.  Space Marine last weekend for 8 bucks was really one of the few I was looking for. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 07:42:36 AM

I'm looking at a few things.

Witcher 2, Tropico 4, M&M 6, Divinity 2, Civ 5 G&K, and some other things that are smaller.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 07:55:56 AM

MaMH:6, Batman AC, Witcher 2, Drakensang 2, Two Worlds 2, too.

Mostly Risen 2.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 11:22:19 AM

Mostly, I'm hoping Kingdom of Amalur comes down from it's $60.00 price point.  That's too steep for me for a game I'll mostly be buying for the art, if my time in the demo is any indication.

Other than that, it's just a matter of if the sale is good enough to tip the games from "want to buy" into "going to buy."  A few recent releases, like Binary Domain, maybe Prototype 2 or the new Civ V expansion.  Otherwise, mostly indie or low budget stuff that's teetering on the edge of impulse buy territory, like Warlock, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, A Valley Without Wind, The Dark Eye, etc.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 01:30:55 PM

Mostly, I'm hoping Kingdom of Amalur comes down from it's $60.00 price point.  That's too steep for me for a game I'll mostly be buying for the art, if my time in the demo is any indication.

Other than that, it's just a matter of if the sale is good enough to tip the games from "want to buy" into "going to buy."  A few recent releases, like Binary Domain, maybe Prototype 2 or the new Civ V expansion.  Otherwise, mostly indie or low budget stuff that's teetering on the edge of impulse buy territory, like Warlock, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, A Valley Without Wind, The Dark Eye, etc.

According to this: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317580 Amazon will have Amalur for $25 on the 8th.  I'll probably hold out for 10-15 personally.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 04:05:03 PM

As someone who enjoyed Amular, I stopped halfway through waiting for a patch that will never come.  I'd strongly recommend just passing altogether on the game.  It's not bad, but it really needed that patch.  They did manage to get their DLC launched properly though, kudos to them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale Buying Guide  
Jump to: