Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 394012 times)
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: January 09, 2015, 10:16:03 PM

They can be equipped and unequipped so back into your inventory. Also the guy that sells emblems also sells some random shaders.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: January 10, 2015, 09:41:46 AM

I have played the game twice since hitting 20. I hope you liked doing the story missions, because basically that's one of the things you'll be doing over and over again just hoping for gear with more light in that slot than you currently have.

It's REALLY BAD design. We've covered it a bunch, but I think you're starting to see just how terrible it is.

There is good shooting in plenty of other games. Play Warframe instead or something.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #807 on: January 10, 2015, 12:27:58 PM

It is bad design but I don't understand why you would rerun the story missions other for the odd bounty that wants a heroic version.  I don't do those, I suck at normal mode let alone heroic.  I wish there was a 'very easy' difficulty for story missions.

I really want the exotic pulse rifle Bad Juju which would require me to do a weekly heroic or nightfall, if I ever get the bounty.  I will be in trouble there and just have to hope something pops up that has a great soloable cheese spot.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #808 on: January 10, 2015, 01:08:01 PM

The bounties that require heroic missions, do NOT require that you do a tough heroic - I commonly do lvl 18 or whatever heroics as a 31, just to kill the bounty mob.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: January 10, 2015, 01:48:44 PM

It is bad design but I don't understand why you would rerun the story missions other for the odd bounty that wants a heroic version.  I don't do those, I suck at normal mode let alone heroic.

I literally didn't see anything else to do. The dungeons weren't interesting more than once.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: January 10, 2015, 03:36:22 PM

I really want the exotic pulse rifle Bad Juju which would require me to do a weekly heroic or nightfall, if I ever get the bounty.  I will be in trouble there and just have to hope something pops up that has a great soloable cheese spot.

I've got this; the lack of matchmaking for the heroic strikes, nightfall strikes, and raids is just infuriating since there is literally no easy means to meet and group with people. I just don't even bother with any of the bounties that involve nightfalls.

I'm also stuck on the last section of the Thorn bounty, which requires you to solo a special heroic version of the Summoning Pits. There's no easy way to solo this that I can see because the heroic knights in the second room regen their shields in the time it takes to reload a weapon, so their essentially unkillable to me. Why they couldn't find a way to make the mob you need spawn in the Roc Strike variant of the Summoning Pits is beyond me. But then so much of the game design is like this...

Lastly, the new dark below PvP maps that I've played are all a bit wank.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #811 on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:17 PM

I just looked up the Thorn thing. It doesn't way that you need to solo it, just that there's no matchmaking (according to reddit, anyways)
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2gqncm/guide_exotic_weapon_bounty_a_light_in_the_dark/

Maybe someone here can help you? Seems a fair few people here have levelled and geared up appropriately...
Shit, I'd help you, but at 21 or whatever I am I assume I wouldn't even scratch your mobs?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #812 on: January 11, 2015, 12:59:47 AM

You on PS4? My crew will get you through. I've got to do it again anyway.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #813 on: January 11, 2015, 01:58:24 PM

I'm not very good, you'd be better off with Surlyboi's people but I'd try to help.  I don't have a mic though, I might pick one up tomorrow.  I am Lorcist in destiny, I'll have to turn off all my 'don't let anyone group with me' options and if I miss one it might not work.  Also on ps4.

It is bad design but I don't understand why you would rerun the story missions other for the odd bounty that wants a heroic version.  I don't do those, I suck at normal mode let alone heroic.

I literally didn't see anything else to do. The dungeons weren't interesting more than once.
Yeah they don't give good directions.  The common joke for the ending is
Like in my earlier post you are supposed to transition to bounties and treadmills and raiding.  It is understandable if you don't want to do that.  You should only keep playing if you like the shooting in PvE or enjoy crucible PvP to be honest.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #814 on: January 12, 2015, 05:59:04 AM

Do things like Blue Engrams level as you do? I'm now 22 (we're still doing a mix of the story and the dailies), and I have a blue helmet. I picked up another blue helmet engram. My old Blue helm is L20. Will the new one also be 20 even though I am now 22? (cos otherwise I may as well save it in case I ever play that alt).

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #815 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:22 AM

...also, do class items (armbands, tabards, cloaks) actually do ...anything? Is blue any better than green there?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #816 on: January 12, 2015, 09:35:18 AM

Class items are flair only. No stats though there is 'talk' of future revisions.

Blue engrams that decrypt to blues will only ever be as high as level 20. Everything actually is lvl 20. That said, you are now gunning for LIGHT LEVEL and not the level of the gear. Light level is the new leveling bar to fill. Some blues have light levels, but no where near what you get with purples and yellows. Upper tier gear will have light level 36 on it which I believe is only raid gear and exotic armor. Vanguard gear is 33 which will net you level 31 when the gear is upgraded. Think you need all but one piece of armor fully upgraded to hit 31 - though don't quote me on it.

So disregard the level on engrams now that you have reached 20. Refocus on +LIGHT as well as the other stats.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: January 12, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

You on PS4? My crew will get you through. I've got to do it again anyway.

That would actually be fantastic, thanks. PS ID is Vancomycin_20mg. Can PM you to arrange a time that suits if you like?

I just looked up the Thorn thing. It doesn't way that you need to solo it, just that there's no matchmaking (according to reddit, anyways)
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2gqncm/guide_exotic_weapon_bounty_a_light_in_the_dark/

Maybe someone here can help you? Seems a fair few people here have levelled and geared up appropriately...
Shit, I'd help you, but at 21 or whatever I am I assume I wouldn't even scratch your mobs?

Yeah, I wrote that up badly; you don't have to solo it, but in the absence of matchmaking soloing it is my only option, and it's proving impossible.

I'm pretty sure WoW learned the lesson long ago that you don't give out interesting quests during solo content that then require raid content. I can't remember for sure, but a lot of the stuff Bungie fails on with Destiny seems to be stuff that should be MMO 101.

...also, do class items (armbands, tabards, cloaks) actually do ...anything? Is blue any better than green there?

No, they look pretty is all. My first (and only) legendary engram from a mob (I've had plenty as mission rewards) was a Warlock armband, I got a duplicate, and so I dismantled it, and it only gave me the same parts as if I dismantled a blue (no ascendents...). The only significant ones are the ones associated with the three minor factions (Dead Orbit, New Monarchy, and The Future War Cult). If you want to level up rep with them and get their gear you do so by purchasing one of their purple armbands and wearing it while you do things that would earn you Crucible or Vanguard rep.

Did you get a legendary weapon in the mail btw? I don't know if that was a level-locked thing, but around new year Bungie mailed everyone one of the 331 Vanguard Legendary weapons.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:38 AM

Yeah, I wrote that up badly; you don't have to solo it, but in the absence of matchmaking soloing it is my only option, and it's proving impossible.

I'm pretty sure WoW learned the lesson long ago that you don't give out interesting quests during solo content that then require raid content. I can't remember for sure, but a lot of the stuff Bungie fails on with Destiny seems to be stuff that should be MMO 101.

Well to be fair, these are exotic quests for what Bungie deems the "best" stuff in the game. You can quite easily get the 2nd highest gear and weapons in the game just from playing (and endlessly farming) without poking your head in a strike let alone a raid. But to get a yellow weapon, it should involve something that can't be soloable. That said, you should also be able to get a PuG for everything without having to go outside of the game to do that. Bungie screwed the pooch with that design, unless they were going for the "you will meet people along the way and forge friendships that you should then use to form groups for bigger things later!"  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #819 on: January 12, 2015, 11:30:24 AM

Yeah levels and then light levels.  In WoW terms it's sort of like how your max character level was say 60 but you could keep getting more powerful by getting gear with higher ilvl.

Note that levelling up the factions by wearing their band/cloak/mark you won't get a reward package until at least level three.  You also need crucible marks to buy their gear so it's not very useful unless you PvP.  I think I will slowly rank up all of them and then stop just before getting a new rank so that when the March dlc comes I can get a reward package from all of them, hopefully at the new higher level.

Eris also once gave me a bounty that required me to wear a titan mark bought from her.  It was annoying.  I don't really like her bounties.

Edit: By reward package I mean that each time you rank up a faction past level three (including the default vanguard one) they will mail you a purple reward package.  The cryptarch will too but the stuff he mails doesn't seem as good (or maybe that's just my rng).

Well to be fair, these are exotic quests for what Bungie deems the "best" stuff in the game. You can quite easily get the 2nd highest gear and weapons in the game just from playing (and endlessly farming) without poking your head in a strike let alone a raid. But to get a yellow weapon, it should involve something that can't be soloable.
As another side note if one of the bounties you can choose from is called "A Voice in the Wilderness" it is trivial compared to the other exotic bounties, is easily soloable and you don't even have to enter the crucible.  It rewards the machine gun Super Good Advice.  It's probably the only exotic bounty I'll do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:32:40 AM by Miasma »
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: January 12, 2015, 12:51:50 PM

ilevel is at least the sum of the parts. Light is just one fucking stat per item.

I'm going to wait to play this again until they release some kind of big expansion that adds another N levels of progression. There just isn't anything that I'm interested in doing at max level right now. Look at FF14 as to how you can do things at max level other than grind for one fucking stat on every single item. GOD that pisses me off so much. Who thought of that bullshit?!
Strazos

Reply #821 on: January 12, 2015, 01:37:07 PM

Is there a list around here of people still playing?

I have a group of 5-7 people I routinely do stuff with, though I'd be happy to group with people from here to help out with bounties and such - I'm LL 31, nearly 32, and I've run all the raids and such. We still routinely run Crota and VoG hard mode (I need me a Suros Regime, or Hard Light...or both  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

I'm Strazos on PSN and Destiny, playing on PS4. If you send an invite, please type something non-default in so I don't think you're a spammer.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

fakeedit: A friend and I 2-manned the ending Thorn instance...was a huge pain in the ass, but doable if you just concentrate and try to take your time. I think I was even doing it with sub-optimal weapons because I was grinding them and just didn't swap.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:38:53 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: January 12, 2015, 02:00:10 PM

Is there a list around here of people still playing?

I have a group of 5-7 people I routinely do stuff with, though I'd be happy to group with people from here to help out with bounties and such - I'm LL 31, nearly 32, and I've run all the raids and such. We still routinely run Crota and VoG hard mode (I need me a Suros Regime, or Hard Light...or both  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

I'm Strazos on PSN and Destiny, playing on PS4. If you send an invite, please type something non-default in so I don't think you're a spammer.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

fakeedit: A friend and I 2-manned the ending Thorn instance...was a huge pain in the ass, but doable if you just concentrate and try to take your time. I think I was even doing it with sub-optimal weapons because I was grinding them and just didn't swap.

Hard light is one damn awesome gun except it bounces around a lot even with the stability boosts. I retired my suros to my unused Lock. Fell in love with my Hawkmoon and haven't gone back to anything else. However, I did just get a Mida Multitool to drop out of a Roc strike, so I am leveling that up for ranged stuff.

And in case anyone is interested, the house of wolves DLC items were leaked. Obviously spoilers for the DLC behind the clicky:

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #823 on: January 12, 2015, 03:43:08 PM

Did you get a legendary weapon in the mail btw? I don't know if that was a level-locked thing, but around new year Bungie mailed everyone one of the 331 Vanguard Legendary weapons.

We both got purple guns in the post, if that's what you mean? I got lucky and got a scout rifle, which I love now that I can use it. My wife got an autorifle, which she does not like. Yay, randoms!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #824 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:48 PM

I'm going to wait to play this again until they release some kind of big expansion that adds another N levels of progression.

Scuttlebutt is that Destiny 2 will arrive in 2016, two xpacs, then Destiny 3 in 2018 or 2019, then two xpacs....

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #825 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:05 PM

Yeah there was some supposedly leaked slide of their release plans which had a full expansion type purchase in September followed by two more dlc after that.  March to September without a new planet is going to get pretty boring...

I like cosmodrome but to be honest you usually just wind up playing on half of it if you're just doing your bounties.  It also has the most convenient and soloable public events.

I don't like the Moon because half of it is underground and none of that has any beacons, it's a waste.

Venus is pretty good.

I like most of Mars but some of the areas are in the middle of nowhere and you may as well just go back to orbit than try and figure out where to go.  Also there are a few deathtraps where things just spawn nonstop.  A lot of things.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #826 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:27 AM

Xur is selling ice breaker today.  17 strange coins.
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: January 16, 2015, 11:19:56 AM

Already logged on this morning before work to pick up two and the Glasshouse. I'd wait for the Helm of the Saint-14 but that will take longer than the Icebreaker to come back. Of course I could just get it to drop in the nightfall like my Inmost Light.  awesome, for real

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #828 on: January 16, 2015, 03:53:07 PM

Picked up an icebreaker myself because it was cheaper than upgrading my old one. Also got the glass house for my oft-forgotten Titan and the Obsidian Mind for my warlock BECAUSE ITS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. Paired with Bad Juju, it's pretty much non-stop nova bombs once shit gets hairy.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #829 on: January 17, 2015, 07:22:12 AM

I looked at Glass House very hard.  Is it better in play than on paper?  Because I already have two of those effects on my current helmet.  On the other hand, Icebreaker doesn't look amazing when I hover over it either so I'm probably just not considering all the things.

Didn't get Icebreaker because I only had 16 SC, so I bought a rock for my Armamentatium instead.  This helped get me to 30 last night, as did avoiding Dragon Age MP for once.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: January 17, 2015, 07:49:04 AM

I looked at Glass House very hard.  Is it better in play than on paper?  Because I already have two of those effects on my current helmet.  On the other hand, Icebreaker doesn't look amazing when I hover over it either so I'm probably just not considering all the things.

Didn't get Icebreaker because I only had 16 SC, so I bought a rock for my Armamentatium instead.  This helped get me to 30 last night, as did avoiding Dragon Age MP for once.

Of the top three guns in my circles,
1. Gjellomold
2. Icebreaker
3. Hawkmoon/Fatebringer

I still need the Fatebringer.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Glasshouse is ok. Basically it frees up that slot on your defender tree to pick Untouchable, and regens the super a bit fast using grenades. I needed an exotic defender helm so I picked it up as the Saint seems to be my moby dick. Weapons of Light is the go to these days so yeah....bitches love Weapons of Light.

Icebreaker seems like just a solar sniper rifle with some quirks, but it is way better in the field than it appears on paper. Juggler becomes a nonstarter as a play condition and it does minor AoE dmg when the mobs explode. It also completely trivializes mobs with solar shields. Couple this with a hand cannon or scout rifle primary and it is a pretty steady high output of dmg. I still need more time with it though. I was sorta bummed I didn't pick it up the first go round but didn't really think to hard about it. Now that I got it, I am really bummed I went that long without it.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #831 on: January 17, 2015, 08:02:05 AM

Ice breaker regens special ammo so you never run out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #832 on: January 17, 2015, 10:47:12 PM

I don't use Icebreaker nearly as much as I used to since getting four Visions of Confluence in the space of two days a little while back. A solar primary makes a difference and the lesser damage output is made up for by the volume of fire. Also it lets me sport Ballerhorn (Guaranteed to kill everything fucking dead or your money back) as my exotic.

Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: January 18, 2015, 05:14:03 AM

I don't use Icebreaker nearly as much as I used to since getting four Visions of Confluence in the space of two days a little while back. A solar primary makes a difference and the lesser damage output is made up for by the volume of fire. Also it lets me sport Ballerhorn (Guaranteed to kill everything fucking dead or your money back) as my exotic.

Dreaming of a fatebringer, myself.

Juggling exotics is one of my main gripes. Not so much the rule of only 1 exotic, but not having a 1 button load out switch. Monkeying around in the loadout screen is so awkward...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #834 on: January 18, 2015, 06:55:58 PM

We beat the weekly nightfall finally.  It gave me 12 SC and so I bought Icebreaker.  I haven't actually equipped it yet since I seem to be married to Suros Regime and I still haven't fully upgraded it.  I probably have a nice legendary primary that I can dust off.

Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: January 18, 2015, 07:31:19 PM

I haven't actually equipped it yet since I seem to be married to Suros Regime and I still haven't fully upgraded it. 

ACK!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #836 on: January 19, 2015, 08:23:08 AM

Fun story, I upgraded Suros and then the expansion reset all that progress for me.

Completed Vault of Glass last night.  What an ordeal.  About 3.25 hours to do it.  My best friend missed out because he was doing something in the meatworld and couldn't get home in time.  I decided to use Icebreaker for the raid and some legendary scout rifle, and that worked out very well.  I was able to crit Atheon for 12k with it, unupgraded.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #837 on: January 19, 2015, 09:06:22 AM

I fired this back up Friday and it has sucked me right back in, played all weekend. I originally stopped soon after 20 so I'm getting all the group higher level stuff and bits that I never bothered trying before, it's still like a new game to me I guess.

Needed 2 more coins to get Icebreaker so I found a team through /r/fireteams to do the level 28 weekly. Couple of folks like me that are new to the higher level stuff, I'm only 28. We wiped a few times figuring out how to do it correctly but finally got the last boss down to a sliver of health and then... ... ... ... my backwoods internet died on me. This was with 20 minutes left until Xur disappeared. Oh well, no IB for me. Messaged the other guys and at least they were able to get the finishing blows in and get their coins in time. All in all it was a ton of fun with some folks that didn't care or get pissy about wiping multiple times.

XB1 GT is TheToxicWaltz. If any of the less than hardcore folks are looking for teams hit me up.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading my mic on Xbox One as I'm using the stock setup. Has anyone gotten anything better that they'd recommend? Surprised at how few people use the voice chat functions they added given the internet seemed to bitch about the lack of it at first.

Strazos

Reply #838 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29:18 AM

I finally picked up an Icebreaker, just because it's nice to have sometimes, especially with Juggler active.

At this point, I just need either a 36 light helm or chest to drop in the Crota raid. I'd prefer a helm, as I already have a maxed exotic 36 light chest equipped.

At this point, I'm just grinding up various legendaries and exotics, since I've completed everything else. And sometimes fooling around in the Crucible/Iron Banner.

Fear the Backstab!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #839 on: January 19, 2015, 11:20:49 AM

Suros Regime = easy mode.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: