Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393897 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #770 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:18 AM

There's a chance this will be worth playing in a year or two. Imagine all the content included in the "Master/Battelfull Edition" for 39.99.

I'm pretty sure this game will always be a shooter first and anything else second.

As for the grind, it's alright if you like the shooting.  I was pretty happy with my ability to carry two grenades before I upgraded/reset the Armamentarium, which involved a grind, but it's not like I'm staring at a spellbook on the Orc Highway.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #771 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:32 AM

There's a chance this will be worth playing in a year or two. Imagine all the content included in the "Master/Battelfull Edition" for 39.99.

I'm pretty sure this game will always be a shooter first and anything else second.

As for the grind, it's alright if you like the shooting.  I was pretty happy with my ability to carry two grenades before I upgraded/reset the Armamentarium, which involved a grind, but it's not like I'm staring at a spellbook on the Orc Highway.

Till they fix the heavy ammo bug, I shelved my Armamenanaitnaoitwtf?! I am using the Ruin Wings for the heavy drop rate increase. Works very well... purple ammo drops almost as frequently as green ammo and I get 3 rockets per drop.

Funny thing though, I didn't upgrade the Armamenwhatever last weekend because of the bug, then turned around and got the upgraded Armapainintheassname in the Omnigul nightfall. So I lucked out...burned my old one down for the shard and will use it to upgrade the new one IF they fix the bug. Of course this last Phogoth nightfall I got 5 coins... which is bullshit, but at least my clanmates got good shit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #772 on: December 18, 2014, 08:21:52 AM

I like just putzing about and shooting bad guys.  So patrols and bounties don't feel like grind to me, they are just an enjoyable thing to do for an hour or so after work.  Unfortunately those two activities are the very slowest possible way to get upgrades.

It's quite vexing because whereas in other games like WoW when people say "if you're not raiding you don't need raid gear" they are just wrong and assholes (because the better gear makes everything else so much more fun and easier) that's not really the case for destiny.  The scaling is so absolute that being in all raid gear at level 32 you will still die just as fast fighting level 2 enemies.  The only real advantage are the perks on exotics.  I still want more gear so that I can try out different types of weapons and different stats and get a set of armour whose perks actually make sense for my weapon load out though.

I hope they learn all these lessons and then just say 'fuck it' and make destiny 2 instead of years of crappy dlc.  I am completely schizo on this game.  When I play it my way just to have fun and ignore their grindfests I enjoy myself.  When my years of mmo training kicks in and I start looking at all the ways I'm not progressing and min/maxing I get pissed off.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #773 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:53 AM

The only time gear/level is a problem is when the enemies are above my level, or when we are trying to do one of those shitcock situations such as Lightswitch, where every enemy is a major, or solar-buffed the Vex snipers.  Game is still fun and I keep a level perspective on the carrot.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #774 on: December 20, 2014, 10:47:02 AM

Still having some fun with this, but mostly because I have some fun people to play with.

We still haven't been able to complete the new raid, though we only have 1 lvl 31, 4 at 30, and one at 29.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #775 on: December 20, 2014, 07:43:32 PM

You only need the 31 to fight Crota. The rest is gravy, though unless he's really good, that 29 is probably holding you back a bit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: December 20, 2014, 10:17:51 PM

that 29 is probably holding you back a bit.

For some reason, that part really hit home with me.

I don't want to ever play another game where I'm just a number. (I am a free man!)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #777 on: December 20, 2014, 10:43:44 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #778 on: December 21, 2014, 07:59:07 AM

You're not a number, you're an anchor. Ohhhhh, I see.

Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: December 21, 2014, 08:43:26 AM

Well most games have a level gate at some point. MMO (mmo-lite) games at least. And to that, in this game, at least grinding is fairly decent given the FPS gun play is fun (IMHO). It is only a matter of time before you reach the next level even if you only log, do bounties, log out. Over time, you accrue marks and commendations which lead to gear and guns. If you take it that way, logging in and putzing around with only bounties for an hour or two (sometimes less) will net you level requirements. Low investment, longer period of time gets you on even standing with all but those 5%ers (mainly high schoolers and college kids) that can run the raid weekly from the start of the DLC. And no one likes those people anyway, so no loss there right?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #780 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:42 PM

It takes so long to gain marks playing casually though, and they raised the price of everything for some reason.  Why did they do that?  It takes 150 marks plus a commendation to buy a weapon now.  For some horrible reason all the other factions only take crucible marks instead of vanguard too, I hate that.

I'm pretty sure the reason I had (am still having) so much difficulty just doing the three new story missions is because my weapons suck.  I still have blues for my special and heavy weapons which just don't have the attack rating for mobs greater than 20.  They still hit but the damage is very low, my blue heavy machine gun might actually be doing less damage than my little purple primary pulse rifle.  I don't like pulse rifles but it's the only purple I've got so it's all I use.  I finally have enough strange coins to buy an exotic, hopefully xur will have something nice next week.  I almost bought patience and time but everyone says wait for icebreaker.  I go so slow I should just wait until the next dlc.

Today I just went around exploring and got the gold chests I missed and a few ghosts.  There are some awesome areas that just aren't used except once for the story because they don't have beacons, it's a real waste.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #781 on: December 29, 2014, 08:22:04 AM

They raised the prices because of expansion inflation, I believe.  It was kinda easy to max your marks for the week already, especially after they let you hold ten bounties instead of five. -- Edit to say that this makes no sense as written.  I'm not trying to say you get marks from bounties, rather that it wasn't as much of a grind as some might have thought.  In my opinion.

Some of those 5% people, they move their weapons between three characters and triple the bounty experience they get on each one.  Naturally, these people have more free time than I do but it's a sound strategy.  You can also pool any strange coins or ascendant shards.

I'm 29 currently and creeping up on 30, with the current problem of course being the ascendant shards.  I have ascendant energy out the ass.

I haven't used Icebreaker but I'm pretty happy with Suros Regime.  Not that I wouldn't grab one if I got the chance and had the spare monies.

I also have a crusty white Hive gun that I need to start upgrading.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #782 on: December 29, 2014, 09:05:50 AM

I got a shard from a random chest on Earth during the brief amount of time I was able to play during the psn attack.  So I guess there is a small chance of finding those in chests now.

Also found out you can solo the first Crota's End raid chest, there are videos showing how to get it, you just have to run to the same spot over and over until it spawns there (hopefully they won't patch that out).  I think hunters can invis to the second one too but am not sure.
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: December 29, 2014, 10:07:53 AM

I am guilty of leveling guns on two different characters. It is the fastest way to max them out. Ever since they stopped giving an automatic shard/energy for a PE, my shard production has taken a hit so my lock is only 29. Titan is as maxxed out as I can get her without running Crota. Actually, we ran my buddy's brother through VoG last night and I can out with 3 energy and 6 shards, so there is that avenue. 3rd time running that place and I still hate it and still have yet to get an armor drop. 2 Epilogues, hawkmoon, and universal remote so far. After, my buddy and I ran Crota part 1 and 2 with 2 pick up people that did VoG with us. Nothing but radiant shards, but at least my buddy got a chest piece for his lock. I really am shocked Bungie let Crota's End release like they did. It is completely soloable if you have the time and patience. That just is not right... granted, you have to glitch some parts, but it is still in the game. I was assuming they'd patch it by now, but nope...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #784 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:26 AM

I guess I'll have to keep ducking into caves looking for chests, not that I don't do this already because I'm again short on helium despite now getting it as rewards.

The Crota raid chest, I thought it showed up once per week?  Meaning if I got it to spawn and looted it, then I would not see it again until next Tuesday.  Anyway, it's super-easy to get to but I keep forgetting to do it.

What we really should do is at least see how far we can get into VoG with three people.  The other two are 30/31 depending on what they equip while I'm the sandbagger at 29.

Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: December 29, 2014, 10:34:53 AM

I guess I'll have to keep ducking into caves looking for chests, not that I don't do this already because I'm again short on helium despite now getting it as rewards.

The Crota raid chest, I thought it showed up once per week?  Meaning if I got it to spawn and looted it, then I would not see it again until next Tuesday.  Anyway, it's super-easy to get to but I keep forgetting to do it.

What we really should do is at least see how far we can get into VoG with three people.  The other two are 30/31 depending on what they equip while I'm the sandbagger at 29.

I don't think you would have the firepower to get past the templar in VoG with 3. Covering all three confluxes in the final phase of that stage would be hell with the minotaurs and the yellow harpies. then the oracles. Aethon is impossible because he ports three to the time zone and you'd get screwed on the return by the supplicants. Not to mention you'd never get enough damage on him before he enrages and goes ape shit. We were pounding him last night with 4 31s with maxxed out primary weapons and heavies and still got the enrage warning before we dropped him.

VoG is a true raid... Crota's End is hardly.

And yes, the chest is a weekly thing. you can get it multiple times a week, but nothing will be in it after the 1st one. Same with completing sections - once it is done, you get no loot doing it again.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #786 on: December 29, 2014, 10:37:49 AM

Yeah once a week, by "over and over" I meant it only has about a one in ten chance to spawn at the nearest location so you just keep dying until it's there.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #787 on: December 29, 2014, 12:05:02 PM

Before the Atheon fix, you could solo VOG too.

Crota's is still a work in progress, which is why the hard mode version isn't coming out til next month. They're watching how many ways it can be glitched so they can fix that in the HM.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #788 on: December 29, 2014, 12:18:57 PM

Yeah once a week, by "over and over" I meant it only has about a one in ten chance to spawn at the nearest location so you just keep dying until it's there.

Turns out if you look at the stones as noon, turn to 10 o'clock and go.  More or less.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #789 on: January 09, 2015, 04:26:27 AM

So my wife and I have been duoing in this for a couple of weeks now, and I've just hit level 20. She's not far behind. Should we turn in the engrams now at 20, or keep holding onto them for higher levels?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: January 09, 2015, 04:54:32 AM

So my wife and I have been duoing in this for a couple of weeks now, and I've just hit level 20. She's not far behind. Should we turn in the engrams now at 20, or keep holding onto them for higher levels?

Turn them in. Blues will only net you lvl 18-20 gear anyway. Once you hit 20, you should be gearing up off vanguard marks or raid gear. Post 20, purples are the only engrams I care about - though I have got legendary gear out of blues a few times (maybe about 0.5%).

Burn them, and go use your marks for vanguard gear to level to 31.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #791 on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:59 AM

I think Crota's mom will give you some arms for quest completion, so you can avoid wasting marks on that if you are doing those quests.

Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:12 AM

I think Crota's mom will give you some arms for quest completion, so you can avoid wasting marks on that if you are doing those quests.

Yep. Fill the rest of your slots with Vanguard gear (though now you need marks). Gear first, then worry about weapons. Pick up an exotic armor piece from Xur with Strange Coins and you should be set on gear.  Run ROC strikes and you'll get a good weapon to drop eventually, possibly several over a week, or grab an exotic weapon from Xur too.

Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: January 09, 2015, 11:22:49 AM

ROC Strikes as soon as you can do them are the way to go.  Not only do you get marks, but I've had great luck getting 33 light gear from them as well.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #794 on: January 09, 2015, 01:15:32 PM

I think you need to be 26 to do roc strikes, also need the dlc.  Eris will give you a purple fusion rifle and gloves for doing her quests.  Vanguard weapons, chest and helmets need commendations which you get each time you level them up starting at (or maybe after) level three.  The vanguard gloves and legs don't need commendations and cost 75 marks.  An exotic armor from xur costs 13 coins, special/heavy weapon 17 and primary 23.  You can only equip one exotic weapon and one exotic armor at the same time (so two exotics).  You can get an upgradeable bullet hose assault rifle from sons of crota (though I have yet to get one).  Exotic bounties can also get you weapons but can be painful to go through.  Iron banner starts again on Tuesday and if you have enough time to play a lot of crucible you can rank up with them and buy stuff with glimmer during the event.  Iron banner does away with level normalization so the level 32's with exotic perks will annhilate you.  At level 27 you can solo the first crota's end chest and hope for a nice reward.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #795 on: January 09, 2015, 02:07:50 PM

I think you need to be 26 to do roc strikes, also need the dlc.

You are correct.

Eris will give you a purple fusion rifle

Forgot about Murmurmurmur.  I like that gun a whole lot.

That bullet hose, are you talking about the Husk of the Pit?  I think so!

Does Iron Banner rank reset between events?  If so, I'm probably not going to even bother... as if I ever PvP in the first place.

Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: January 09, 2015, 03:38:55 PM

At level 27 you can solo the first crota's end chest and hope for a nice reward.

Not after Tuesday.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #797 on: January 09, 2015, 06:57:26 PM

Turn them in. Blues will only net you lvl 18-20 gear anyway. Once you hit 20, you should be gearing up off vanguard marks or raid gear. Post 20, purples are the only engrams I care about - though I have got legendary gear out of blues a few times (maybe about 0.5%).

Burn them, and go use your marks for vanguard gear to level to 31.

So at level 20 it turns into a repetitive currency grindfest, right? So.. how much work/time does it take to get, say 1 piece of gear? - and can you get upgrades from just playing the game (doing instances or patrols) or is it really just Lern2Grind from here on in?

Yep. Fill the rest of your slots with Vanguard gear (though now you need marks). Gear first, then worry about weapons. Pick up an exotic armor piece from Xur with Strange Coins and you should be set on gear.  Run ROC strikes and you'll get a good weapon to drop eventually, possibly several over a week, or grab an exotic weapon from Xur too.

I really appreciate this advice, but not having bothered to research this game or it's currency clusterfuck out of game, I don't really understand what's it means or what's involved.

I guess I'm wondering whether we should keep playing post-20 or just think of it as "we got to 20, completed the storyline and completed Destiny"?

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: January 09, 2015, 07:01:10 PM

If you enjoy the actual combat of the game definitely keep playing. It does get repetitive but if you like the combat I think it's worth it and you'll probably last quite awhile. At least that was my experience.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #799 on: January 09, 2015, 07:07:39 PM

We both enjoy the gameplay - the shooting is well done - though things like the patrols and bounties (and environments) are quite repetitive at the same time. It's working out whether to keep playing or move to something else in the backlog if Destiny just becomes a hamster wheel.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #800 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:42 PM

Oh - any point to Grimoire Cards? Seems to be shitty lore located outside of the game nested on Bungie's website? Anything else to them?

Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:56 PM

Oh - any point to Grimoire Cards? Seems to be shitty lore located outside of the game nested on Bungie's website? Anything else to them?

That is about it. There was some shit about them giving buffs, but I think that was debunked.

As for the Vanguard stuff. It is long and drawn out for the explanation but...

As you do bounties and strikes, you accumulate vanguard marks, limited to 100 a week with reset on Tuesdays. You get a bunch for the Nightfall and then you get a few here and there 2-6 for stuff. Roc Strikes are the lvl 26 random roll strike under the strike list on your map. Those I believe give you 6 per strike. I am usually maxed on marks by Wednesday if I have time to play, but that is with knocking out the nightfall, weekly, daily, all the patrols, and then a bunch of Roc strikes. Average, I'd guess you can get 20-30 marks per day if you do all the bounties.

Now they added vanguard commendations in which you need to buy vanguard gear now. You get the comms by leveling the vanguard rep. Each level you get a comm. I think it is one comm per armor piece and 2 comms per weapon ON TOP OF the mark cost of the piece. In short, if you want the chest piece from the vanguard, you will need 1 commendation and 75 marks. Note: the helmet is 120 marks because fuck you. Weapons are 150 marks plus comms. No idea how long it will take you to level 1 time with the vanguard - maybe a week? So it is possible to hit 1 comm and 100 marks in 6 days before the reset playing casually.

All that said, you also get a package each time you level the vanguard after lvl 2. So at level 3 you get a package at the mailbot which could contain a piece of legendary vanguard gear, weapon or armor. Or it could contain a poke in the eye, which is what I tend to get now. So you have that chance.

You also can grind Roc Strikes for a chance at a legendary or exotic weapon drop upon completion of the strike. I actually have received 1 exotic (hard light) from a Roc strike, but that chance is really low. Legendaries are also hard to come by, but not as rare as an exotic.

tldr; grind bounties, level vanguard, buy shit from vanguard dealer... but only if you have the time.

p.s., Oh and to level vanguard, wear any non-faction flair piece (bonds for locks, marks for titans, capes for fruity people). Faction specific flare pieces will level those and stop leveling vanguard. They also give you shit each time you level, but not vanguard commendations. You get PvP crucible comms for each level of a specific faction. So stay away from that until you gear up from Vanguard...IMHO.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #802 on: January 09, 2015, 08:05:35 PM

So basically to get any further progress post-20/story you need to treat it like a typical grindy MMO and either try to play daily or put a good chunk of hours in every weekend/etc? I mean, I've done EQ and WoW and know the time involved in MMO rep grinding/dailies etc. I'm just not likely to do it again in a game that's pretty shallow aside from the pretty grahics excellent shooting mechanics (since I have so much backlog of other games).

I was kinda hoping that the first few post-20 levels would be a bit more ...shallow in terms of grind requirements.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #803 on: January 09, 2015, 08:28:42 PM

So basically to get any further progress post-20/story you need to treat it like a typical grindy MMO and either try to play daily or put a good chunk of hours in every weekend/etc? I mean, I've done EQ and WoW and know the time involved in MMO rep grinding/dailies etc. I'm just not likely to do it again in a game that's pretty shallow aside from the pretty grahics excellent shooting mechanics (since I have so much backlog of other games).

I was kinda hoping that the first few post-20 levels would be a bit more ...shallow in terms of grind requirements.
Destiny isn't very good at 'progress' treadmills compared to MMOs, they haven't figured out how to do it right yet.  The only reason to play it is if you like shooting bad guys.  To bring out a terrible cliche if you are an enjoy the journey type of person you can have fun in the game doing whatever you like but if you are more interested in the destination of max level with best loot Destiny is pretty terrible.  You will also learn to hate the cryptarch, just stop getting excited about blue drops now because they will decode into blue junk most of the time and the rest it will be a purple for a class you don't play.

At level 27 you can solo the first crota's end chest and hope for a nice reward.

Not after Tuesday.
Fuck.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #804 on: January 09, 2015, 08:47:28 PM

I like shooting bad guys, but it's nice to have a reason to do so. I mean, whether it's story or progression. Since the story in this thing seems to be worse/more non-existent/more confusing/shittier than Halo, that's obviously not a hook, leaving the fun of shooting alone without a story or progression. So we may as well move onto the next backlogged co-op game in the backlog (or go back and finish one that got put down at some stage).

I'm fine with never going to be uber, but if it's going to be a real grindfest to get any kind of progression because they've tuned the game to be for the 80-hour a week crowd once you hit 20, then it'll be something we might put on from time to time but are effectively "finished with" in a day or three. It's hardly been a race to the end, and we've spent plenty of time dicking around with patrols and such (I've hit 20 and we have only done the first Venus mission for example) but, you know. It needs something more sticky than good mechanics and daily quests.

Lastly, with the armour shaders - are they consumed when you use/apply them, or can they go back into your inventory?

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: