Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 394018 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #665 on: November 14, 2014, 07:18:17 AM

Turns out I can't solo the lv22 weekly, although I was unwisely using bubble-spec.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:22 AM

The state of the MP design is fucking horrible.

Scenario: I have a card thing to do a Moon story mission on hard. Why the fuck can't I LFG for other people doing the same goddamn thing? Why is it for dungeons only?

When you join a strike team for a dungeon, can you talk to them? I've never, EVER heard anyone.

I had to go on an internet forum and add about 50 strangers just so my friends list is full, but they are all high 20s doing different content so it's fairly empty there.

I have to put in a fucking serious amount of effort outside the game to even BEGIN to play the game multiplayer.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #667 on: November 14, 2014, 08:53:42 AM

Silent strike team is a plus for me, but all the others are things I completely agree with.  These are not accidents, they are purposeful design.  I don't get it at all.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #668 on: November 14, 2014, 10:15:20 AM

The state of the MP design is fucking horrible.

Scenario: I have a card thing to do a Moon story mission on hard. Why the fuck can't I LFG for other people doing the same goddamn thing? Why is it for dungeons only?

When you join a strike team for a dungeon, can you talk to them? I've never, EVER heard anyone.

I had to go on an internet forum and add about 50 strangers just so my friends list is full, but they are all high 20s doing different content so it's fairly empty there.

I have to put in a fucking serious amount of effort outside the game to even BEGIN to play the game multiplayer.

To that, add -SHARING FUCKING BOUNTIES WITH OTHERS IN YOUR GROUP.
Makes no fucking sense why everyone in your fireteam has to go talk to the bounty giver to get them.

And no... you can't audio chat with people joining a random strike - which is also fuckstupid since FPS games flow better when you can communicate. Sure, this opens up a chance of getting some moron that talks non-stop - but that is why you include a mute option. This was one of the things I really liked about Planetside II. Proximity chat, while a little rudimentary, at least conceptually worked.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #669 on: November 14, 2014, 10:25:28 AM

This was one of the things I really liked about Planetside II. Proximity chat, while a little rudimentary, at least conceptually worked.
Which was also fucking annoying cause some asshole in base was always playing some shitty music through his mic at maximum volume and you had to hunt through to UI to figure out which player it was to mute.
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: November 14, 2014, 10:40:53 AM

This was one of the things I really liked about Planetside II. Proximity chat, while a little rudimentary, at least conceptually worked.
Which was also fucking annoying cause some asshole in base was always playing some shitty music through his mic at maximum volume and you had to hunt through to UI to figure out which player it was to mute.

Unicorn used to do that on the TR side of things. I thought it was hilarious.

Fishing thru the UI to get the list of players around you was a hassle though. Can't argue with you there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #671 on: November 14, 2014, 11:32:03 AM

Fuck.. that was the EXACT guy who I was thinking of as I read Trippy's sentence.  Hilarious.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the UI didn't also juggle people up and down the list so just as you were clicking a name it changed and you muted someone else while the music continued.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: November 14, 2014, 11:54:26 AM

It would be fine to mute everyone automatically IF THE GAME HAD FUCKING TEXT CHAT.

So you buy a PS4. You have no friends yet. You start the game. You get to a high enough level to join a strike, where you can finally fucking LFG.

You join that group. You can't COMMUNICATE with ANYONE. In a multiplayer game.

You finish the strike, hey that went pretty good. I want to add those guys to my friends list. WHERE DO YOU ACCOMPLISH THAT IN THIS GAME?

I just can't find anything good to say about this game. There isn't a single good design decision in the entire game. Movement and shooting code isn't a design decision. That's the only thing this game does reasonably well.

That was probably a fucking accident, when you look at the rest of the game.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: November 14, 2014, 11:57:53 AM

The prox chat would work VERY WELL in Destiny.

Here is why.

At the warpgate in PS2 you could literally have one hundred shitheels blasting techno music.

Sometimes THAT HAPPENED.

In Destiny, how many people can be in a zone at once? How many people can be in your party at once?

I think the answer to these questions are roughly: 32, 3/6. That is a VERY EASY to design mute window. they could add the option on the same fucking menu that you use to go to orbit or spawn your speeder bike. A scrollable list with at most 32 entries in it. So, so fucking easy to do.

$500 million dollars.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #674 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:11 PM

I believe the mechanism is to press R3 while looking at someone, then Options to open a menu.  From there you can inspect the character and the player profile.  Once you are in the PSN profile, you can invite them to be your friend as well as the other things you would expect.

So you buy a PS4. You have no friends yet.

Well, there's your problem. awesome, for real

$500 million dollars.

Yeah, pretty much this.  But I only paid $50 for it so I don't really feel cheated.  It's pretty good for a bro-shooter.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #675 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:23 PM

Tried my first Heroic Weekly last night - solo. I'm 25, the mission was 22 with Heroic and Lightswitch (Massive melee damage from enemies - I hate that).

Took me about 30 minutes to fight through everything, since I had to be cautious an avoid getting in anythings melee range (which sucks playing a Blade Dancer)
Only died a couple times, finally made it to the end boss. Need to kill one Fallen Archon while running around a big map with lots of Shanks and a couple Servitors floating about.

30 minutes later - I had him down to about 60%
Realized I really was not prepared to spend another 45 minutes, especially since one wrong jump meant I'd be starting over. So yea, level 25 and still at 5 strange coins.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #676 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:18 PM

Need a fireteam for weekly or daily, no question.  Which is why some of us are mad about the matchmaking situation.

Lightswitch wouldn't bother me so much if it also applied to my melee, like Burn also applies to my elements.  This is why I have one fusion rifle and one machine gun of each flavor.  Lightswitch basically eliminates one of my major attacks.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:52 PM

I believe the mechanism is to press R3 while looking at someone, then Options to open a menu.  From there you can inspect the character and the player profile.  Once you are in the PSN profile, you can invite them to be your friend as well as the other things you would expect.

Right, but how cumbersome is that? What happens when you leave the instance and you're back in your ship? Is it too much to ask for a simple list, "Recently seen characters" or something along those lines? People you have grouped with recently? People in your zone recently? Something like that. They expect me to aim at someone and hit R3 without them moving? They think i'm a much better console FPS player than I actually am.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #678 on: November 14, 2014, 12:09:23 PM

Oh, it's certainly a pile of shit but I wasn't sure you knew because: who the fuck designed this UI?  There's no manual either, and I pretty much stumbled on how to do that.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: November 14, 2014, 12:13:41 PM

I didn't know how to do that. Can you trade in that menu, too? Is that where trade is hidden? I refuse to believe they don't allow trading. There has to be an option somewhere.

Why do they expect players to stand still so you can click on them in a FPS game? People are zig-zagging nonstop as habit.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: November 14, 2014, 12:17:55 PM

Lack of trading is a design choice.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: November 14, 2014, 12:52:58 PM

Tried my first Heroic Weekly last night - solo. I'm 25, the mission was 22 with Heroic and Lightswitch (Massive melee damage from enemies - I hate that).

Took me about 30 minutes to fight through everything, since I had to be cautious an avoid getting in anythings melee range (which sucks playing a Blade Dancer)
Only died a couple times, finally made it to the end boss. Need to kill one Fallen Archon while running around a big map with lots of Shanks and a couple Servitors floating about.

30 minutes later - I had him down to about 60%
Realized I really was not prepared to spend another 45 minutes, especially since one wrong jump meant I'd be starting over. So yea, level 25 and still at 5 strange coins.

If you want to do the weekly watch for me tonight or tomorrow, Toadchewer is Xbox name. I usually play late pacific time, like start 10 or 11. Was going to run my son through the 28 weekly and then try the nightfall either tonight or tomorrow and you're welcome to join us. I think at 25 you can go on the 28 stuff but if not I can run you through the level 26 one.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #682 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:29 PM

Thanks veredus, I'll add you to my list. Often play late Saturdays, so I'll hit you up if I see you on there.

I'm on XBox live as Bunktavious.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #683 on: November 14, 2014, 02:27:09 PM

Need a fireteam for weekly or daily, no question.  Which is why some of us are mad about the matchmaking situation.

Lightswitch wouldn't bother me so much if it also applied to my melee, like Burn also applies to my elements.  This is why I have one fusion rifle and one machine gun of each flavor.  Lightswitch basically eliminates one of my major attacks.

I've probably done 15 or more Daily Heroics solo, but I don't even bother if they are Lightswitch. Mostly, I just check the daily to see if its Sword of Crota, because that one's ridiculously easy. I think I've gotten about 75 Vanguard marks from that mission alone. I figured the weekly would be harder, but I wasn't expecting a boss with 50 million hps.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #684 on: November 14, 2014, 02:44:13 PM

Can you trade in that menu, too? Is that where trade is hidden? I refuse to believe they don't allow trading. There has to be an option somewhere.

Another thing that my group was sure would be in the game somehow.  NOPE.  Fortunately (?) the gamewide equipment list is short and it's easy enough to get geared so it's only really infuriating when a purple engram gives you the wrong armor.

Sword of Crota is so much fun that I think it must have been an accident.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #685 on: November 14, 2014, 02:50:00 PM

I do the dailies at 28 solo most of the time as well as the weeklies and nightfalls. I'm 29 and a badass, but that's just part of the story. Daily 28s are easy. If you want to do the weekly or the nightfall this week solo and you don't mind cheesing it (and you've got a bunch of ammo synths or a shoot to loot weapon to pick up that ammo you can't reach) there's a spot under the platform at the far end of the boss area where only the shanks and the occasional vandal sniper can hit you.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #686 on: November 14, 2014, 05:30:57 PM

You will be able to opt in to strike/fireteam chat if you want next patch.  I guess people with a lot of weapons can solo the nightfall if they know the right cheese spots, which you can google, there are whole youtube lists dedicated to it.  You need the weapons to have good anti shield for whatever type of damage the burn is though.  I think you also basically need to be level 28 because that's what the enemy level is and you suffer a very high penalty to your damage taken/received for each level difference (20% per level).  You can trade between your alts, if you have them, but not other players.

I'm very mixed on this game.  I normally can't stand shooters on a console but the actual gameplay in destiny is amazing, moving and shooting just feels so good, even with a controller.  I'm casual, have no friends who play pve and don't like crucible so I don't really have anyway to upgrade my character besides blind rng luck and a painfully slow accumulation of vanguard marks.  That's fine, if I refuse to play the game the way they designed it I understand not being able to progress.  It's just a very odd position I'm in where I enjoy merely going out on patrol solo and shooting bad guys but my well honed MMO instincts are screaming at me from the dark recesses of my mind that I'm not on the gear treadmill so there is no point to playing.  Xur sells exotics for strange coins and I got about five of them levelling 1-20 but only three since then...  so I can't even afford a piece of armor at 13 let alone a weapon at 23.

What vexes me most (no pun intended) is that all the non vanguard factions want crucible marks instead of vanguard marks.  I had hoped when I put on their reputation item that maybe vanguard marks I earn would be turned into crucible but they aren't.  I stepped into crucible twice just to get the damn exclamation mark for it off my select-destination screen and am never going back.  I'm pretty sure I cost both teams cursed with my presence their wins.

If this game ever let me straight out buy items for real life money I would spend way too much on it.  To be fair there should be restrictions like can't be used in pvp and only the outdated tier's raid items, but I'd still buy them.
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: November 15, 2014, 05:38:05 AM

This is another pet peeve of mine. I have 2 gjallarhorns now after last night and I'd love to be able to give that to one of my clanmates.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: November 15, 2014, 07:28:30 AM

Why is there no matchmaking for the weekly heroic? I just tried to run this then realised that I was solo and killing anything but trash would take me hours, so I quit.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: November 15, 2014, 07:45:50 AM

Why is there no matchmaking for the weekly heroic? I just tried to run this then realised that I was solo and killing anything but trash would take me hours, so I quit.

No clue. Probably because the rewards are greater and they don't want you filthy casuals ...yadda. That said, the weekly and some nightfall ones are doable, albeit a kick in the nuts, solo. They take a really long time due to the fact you have to crawl and take each mob individually...but you can do it. It is not a 'jump in for 20 minutes and you are done' though.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #690 on: November 15, 2014, 02:27:10 PM

This is another pet peeve of mine. I have 2 gjallarhorns now after last night and I'd love to be able to give that to one of my clanmates.

Break up that second Ballerhorn and use it for the materials.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:59 PM

I'm not defending it; it's really fucking stupid. I just didn't want anyone crawling the UI for hours trying to find a nonexistent option.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #692 on: November 17, 2014, 08:41:46 AM

My only beefs with Destiny:

-Lack of content
-Heroic modifiers mostly being not that fun, particularly Nightfall's kitchen sink of them.

Basically it boils down to everything killing you in nearly one shot regardless of your gear. Yeah, it's amusing when you have all of the "burn" mods active and your Ice Breaker or fusion rifle or rocket launcher do tons and tons of damage but basically everything kills you almost instantly. You get meleed by anything but the scrubbiest enemy? Dead. Get winged by a sniper? Dead. Get slightly winged by the mortar blasts from something like a hive knight? Dead. Got 3-4+ wizards endlessly machinegunning at you? Good luck.

Yeah, you can cheese the fuck out of bosses with safe spots. But that's not really playing the game. Because you won't WANT to play the game "correctly" in nightfall because doing so isn't fun.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: November 17, 2014, 09:10:46 AM

My only beefs with Destiny:

-Lack of content
-Heroic modifiers mostly being not that fun, particularly Nightfall's kitchen sink of them.

Basically it boils down to everything killing you in nearly one shot regardless of your gear. Yeah, it's amusing when you have all of the "burn" mods active and your Ice Breaker or fusion rifle or rocket launcher do tons and tons of damage but basically everything kills you almost instantly. You get meleed by anything but the scrubbiest enemy? Dead. Get winged by a sniper? Dead. Get slightly winged by the mortar blasts from something like a hive knight? Dead. Got 3-4+ wizards endlessly machinegunning at you? Good luck.

Yeah, you can cheese the fuck out of bosses with safe spots. But that's not really playing the game. Because you won't WANT to play the game "correctly" in nightfall because doing so isn't fun.

The burns I can see... and it cuts both ways. I really dislike juggler though. I wouldn't mind it so much if, IF, ammo actually fell with some regularity. As it stands, getting heavy ammo to drop is about as common as getting a blue engram to pop out of a corpse, and probably not even that often.

One thing that has really started to bug the shit out of me is the fact that there is really no distinction between the classes in terms of survivability. I picked titan due to the fact they were slated as front line, tanky, take a bit of punishment, slower, less pew pew dmg. Unfortunately, I die just as easily as my warlock buddy and he can take way more dmg overall with his self-rez/fire shielded super. I get a bubble that is fairly useless due to the fact you can't actually produce any offense while inside and if you pop it in the wrong place, you negate your fireteam's output by blocking the target with the bubble. Hunter can rifle off three big dmg shots (4 with the armor piece) or go crazy with the stabby and remain mobile at least. Warlock can either drop a purple comet on the mob(s) for big dmg or self-rez/shield up and run around shooting. I get a time-out/homebase bubble or a one-shot ground smash that I have to survive long enough to wade into a mob crowd or next to a boss. Couple that with no real edge in armor or dmg taking and it is a crap shoot whether I die before it fires off. Based on no super abilities, I am hardly a tank even though it is suggested I wear heavy armor and move slower because of it. Armor values on gear really need a pass or I need to find a good write up of how I actually am better at taking dmg... because on nightfall or VoG on hardmode, 1 sniper shot = dead regardless of class or stacking armor/slotting defender.
--one liner: There is no distinction between titan/warlock/hunter when it comes to survivability not accounting for abilities - and even then, warlock sunseeker is more survivable than a heavy armor titan.

in terms of cheese... I think that is a mistake to even consider. I know this is a game, but in most firefights, people usually dig in at a place that makes it the most difficult to be killed while allowing you to fire on the target. Running around from cover to cover trying not to get your head shot off by mobs that are uncanny in their ability to headshot if their bullet connects IMHO is not fun. Finding spots on the map that allow you to dig in for a long fight (and all boss fights are long due to the stupid HP bosses have) is part of a good fireteam. I see why it is called cheese, if you find a spot where you don't take any dmg while having free reign to dish out dmg, but I have yet to find anyplace on any strike that allows you to do that. I have died in cover on pretty much every "cheese" spot on each strike from a sniper flanking our team (Archon Priest) or the insane splash dmg from some of the bosses (Sekrion) or the hundreds of adds for Valus.
--one liner: IMHO, there are no cheese spots, just really good cover spots which lead to better success in strikes.

Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: November 17, 2014, 01:53:08 PM

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12398

Patch today... lots of stuff. No more camping under the platform for Winter's Run (archon priest). Can't wait to see the aftermath of that considering the nightfall version is damn near impossible even camping under the platform with all the Captains and High Servators along with the dozens of dregs and shanks, not to mention the boss teleport-one shot non-sense.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #695 on: November 17, 2014, 03:09:41 PM

No more camping under the platform for Winter's Run (archon priest).

God dammit, I just figured out that hiding spot.  Why does Bungie hate fun?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #696 on: November 17, 2014, 03:32:09 PM

No... there is another...

Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: November 17, 2014, 03:53:09 PM

No... there is another...

Which makes no sense as to why close one and not the other. Of course, I am of the ilk that closing the platform hidiehole was a dumb idea anyway.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #698 on: November 18, 2014, 04:49:55 AM

The trick to the archon fight is to shoot the goddamn adds. He's possibly the least threatening boss of all the strikes.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: November 18, 2014, 05:14:25 AM

The trick to the archon fight is to shoot the goddamn adds. He's possibly the least threatening boss of all the strikes.

Exactly...which is also not fun given you have captains that are buffed like the eliminate the target public event with shields that instantly come back up and a health bar matching the boss. Get three of those running around. And that is on top of the solar shielded shanks that are numerous and the shields suck (yes, hit them with a solar weapon, but then you are monkeying around with weapon swapping since the captains are arc shielded and more deadly). The whole thing is a pain in the ass way more than the other strikes, Flayers included.

Luckily, Sepiks Prime is this week... Can't wait to see how fuckstupid the waves of Fallen will be or the walker part.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: