Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393898 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #420 on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:54 PM

I checked out "loot cave" today; wish I had noticed it since 2 hours of grinding it got me more gear than however many hours I spent doing the story and all the strikes.
Yes. Bungie just fundamentally doesn't understand risk vs reward. This became obvious to me when I was doing the Fusion rifle bounty as I talked about here:
The best part of the fucking fucked up loot system is that patrolling on Earth (the lowest level patrol area) will drop loot near your level -- i.e. the level of loot that's dropped in patrols is not based on the level of the mobs you kill, it's based on your character's level. I got much more loot (in Destiny-terms) grinding out an annoying Fusion Rifle bounty on Earth than I ever did from the random story mission rewards (not the fixed rewards).
If killing level 1 cannon fodder drops the same loot at the same frequency as killing anything at max level including bosses there's something wrong with your loot system.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #421 on: September 22, 2014, 09:09:18 PM

Got my Cronusmax today; I'm much better in PVP with kb+m.
Ugh, does this mean I should order one?
Do you have a PC next to your PS4?
schild
Administrator

Reply #422 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:32 PM

Got my Cronusmax today; I'm much better in PVP with kb+m.
Ugh, does this mean I should order one?
Do you have a PC next to your PS4?
I do, but I'm more than likely going to get a xim4 after reading about things.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #423 on: September 23, 2014, 03:26:03 AM

Also tomorrow, the Queen calls in that favor you owe her.

By offering some bounties. Which you can use to grind faction. In order to by emblems, shaders, and some weapons that aren't even legendary.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #424 on: September 23, 2014, 03:44:07 AM

Meh. Then we really do have to wait for House of Wolves.  swamp poop

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #425 on: September 23, 2014, 07:05:16 AM

but emblems

why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #426 on: September 23, 2014, 07:23:00 AM

So if I needed a game to play and was deciding between this or Diablo3 for the ps4, which should I pick?  I have already played D3 up to but not including the new expansion and class.  Do you think they're going to be like an MMO company and nerf this cave o' loot by the time I get there?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #427 on: September 23, 2014, 07:51:30 AM

Man some of you guys really are just walking wallets.

"Me am play gods"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #428 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:27 AM

but emblems

why so serious?

Apparently, you can score legendaries from the queen's bounties. You just have to have RNJesus' blessing.

That said, any excuse I have to shoot Greg in the face is a good one. Maybe if we do it enough, The Nine will get jealous and send Xûr more often than Fridays and Saturdays.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #429 on: September 23, 2014, 08:04:49 AM

You mean shoot Doug, right?  I grabbed some bounties this morning and will be spending time on Venus, paralleling four of them.

So if I needed a game to play and was deciding between this or Diablo3 for the ps4, which should I pick?  I have already played D3 up to but not including the new expansion and class.  Do you think they're going to be like an MMO company and nerf this cave o' loot by the time I get there?

They are obviously not really a MMO company.  This is easily observed by how often someone says twitch: zero times.  Destiny is a superior sci-fi MP shooter with collectibles/loot added.  It's really not a MMO by any definition that I'm aware of.

As for Murderhole, while there is a favorite one for people to work on, there are several places where you can farm enemies.  If you're into that boring MMO shit, that is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: September 23, 2014, 08:05:34 AM

I'm going to bet that you're married.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #431 on: September 23, 2014, 08:30:39 AM

I'm going to bet that you're married.
No, I have plenty of cash to spend. But I prefer games over naked cash grabs. Your average KS scam has more integrity than this.

"Me am play gods"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #432 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:43 AM

No, I have plenty of cash to spend. But I prefer games over naked cash grabs. Your average KS scam has more integrity than this.

Wait... you are looking for integrity in the gaming world in 2014? ok then...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #433 on: September 23, 2014, 09:30:46 AM

I'm still failing to see where the baked cash grab is. I ostensibly paid 60 bucks at the least, 120 if I wanted the collectable shit. Fun factor wise, I'm pretty sure I've gotten my money's worth. Your mileage may vary but I'm pretty goddamn satisfied.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #434 on: September 23, 2014, 09:43:51 AM

Wait... you are looking for integrity in the gaming world in 2014? ok then...
Just saying that saying that when you buy a game, it shouldn't be 10% game, 90% DLC distribution platform.

"Me am play gods"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #435 on: September 23, 2014, 09:48:03 AM

It's not. As short as it is, the single player has a definite end to its storyline. Is it a prelude to more shit down the line? Of course it is. Destiny is a 10-year project. They've said that from go. If you bought the game expecting everything wrapped up in a neat little bow two weeks later, that's on you.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #436 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:57 AM

It's more than 10% of a game, depending very much on what you are expecting from a game.  There isn't any "match three gems" or "harvest strawberries" so some people might be disappointed.  There is "kill ten rats" though, and a tiny amount of "dress up", if you like that stuff.  I feel like I've gotten $50 out of it so far.

I do not expect any of the planned expansions to add what some people think are missing.  Maaaaybe some loot, but more likely additional maps and enemies.  More PVP game types as well.

I'm hoping that they add in Dinklage saying "Hey! Listen!" but it's probably way too late for that.

schild
Administrator

Reply #437 on: September 23, 2014, 10:27:49 AM

Once again, if this were a PC game everyone would love it. I'd be playing it non-fucking stop because the "arenas" are fucking sublime.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #438 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:42 AM

That's the thing that puzzles the shit out of me. Since when did we start expecting so much out of fucking console games? It's not gonna cure your cancer, it's not gonna bring about world peace. It's not gonna unify the forces or tell you about the Higgs fucking Boson. It's gonna let you shoot mans and maybe, in the fullness of time, give you a solid Babylon Fiveish ride.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #439 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:34 AM

Side note, the investors hate the news surrounding this game.

The ATVI stock is in a sizable slide, and has dipped from around $24 to about $21.40 in less than two weeks.

Frankly, although people keep saying the game is fine, I get the feeling that Bungie is being given a pass on shit we would rip to fucking shreds on other games.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #440 on: September 23, 2014, 10:54:16 AM

Side note, the investors hate the news surrounding this game.

The ATVI stock is in a sizable slide, and has dipped from around $24 to about $21.40 in less than two weeks.

Frankly, although people keep saying the game is fine, I get the feeling that Bungie is being given a pass on shit we would rip to fucking shreds on other games shooters.

I dunno man, the bulk of discussions are never on an FPS game. In fact, they seem to be tolerated on here, but never talked favorably about. Now if you want to compare shooters to RPGs, well... we know where that ends up.

My opinion: it's a shooter that keeps me playing. I like it better than borderlands and halo. Yes, it is monotonous but I like shooting things more than the monotony. The rep grinds are there, but somehow, the shooter activity makes it more tolerable than an RPG. Which makes me wonder why I didn't get into Wildstar more.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #441 on: September 23, 2014, 10:58:22 AM

And that's fine if you love the mechanics. I play mount and blade for hours, it's basically the same thing over and over. I love the mechanics and it has no story.

It also didn't cost $500M to make and promise shit "in the future" like an MMO. Combine the mixed reviews and the fact ATVI just got sued by Noriaga over his likeness in COD (lulz) and the stock is not doing well atm.

Might be time to rebuy if it dips down to $20.

schild
Administrator

Reply #442 on: September 23, 2014, 11:11:36 AM

Frankly, although people keep saying the game is fine, I get the feeling that Bungie is being given a pass on shit we would rip to fucking shreds on other games.

No, they're not. They're getting ripped to shreds because the game was poorly marketed and the interviews were full of total bullshit. Had they said nothing and just released it the game would probably have been praised as one of the best arena shooters since Q3A.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #443 on: September 23, 2014, 11:21:53 AM

That is almost certainly true.  While I might suck at PVP, I can almost see the solid design on it.  The PVE maps are also well-done, in my opinion, and enemy tactics can be super-infuriating (Minotaurs teleporting to the same location to avoid my shots/grenades, fuck you).

What this game needs for PR, really, is a Red vs Blue machinima.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #444 on: September 23, 2014, 11:49:28 AM

The secret to not sucking in PVP? Play like you've got nothing to lose. Don't give a shit about killstreaks or any shit like that. Play with reckless abandon. Emptied a full mag into that tool in front of you and he's not dead? Close in and melee the shit out of him. Most of the people you're playing don't expect that kind of shit and will end up killing you, dying to you or both. The last two outcomes are a plus. My K/D skyrocketed after I stopped giving a shit about it.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: September 23, 2014, 02:32:31 PM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: September 23, 2014, 03:19:40 PM

Is this game even better than Warframe?

High expectations certainly have something to do with it but frankly the game isn't great even discounting those expectations. The missions and bosses are both terrible. The bosses are simpler than NES bosses.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #447 on: September 23, 2014, 03:23:11 PM

Keep caring about the PvE. Because that's the relevant part of Destiny. -_-
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #448 on: September 23, 2014, 04:25:55 PM

I realized what I really wanted was GTAV on the PS4 and then realized playing this might make me suck less at shooting.  Those fucking cougars are going to be extinct once I get there.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #449 on: September 24, 2014, 07:00:55 AM

Keep caring about the PvE. Because that's the relevant part of Destiny. -_-

If PvP is the main point, why are they releasing a 10 year plan?

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: September 24, 2014, 07:25:42 AM

Nah, I'm a sitting wallet.  A lazily lounging wallet, even.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #451 on: September 24, 2014, 08:31:56 AM

I realized what I really wanted was GTAV on the PS4 and then realized playing this might make me suck less at shooting.  Those fucking cougars are going to be extinct once I get there.

Mechanically dissimilar, in my opinion.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: September 24, 2014, 11:11:15 AM

Would FarCry fall under the category of a FPS GTA? They emphasize natural over urban environments, but relating the fundamental concepts of game mechanics appears right.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #453 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:36 AM

Nah, I'm a sitting wallet.  A lazily lounging wallet, even.
Wallets on Rascals.

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #454 on: September 24, 2014, 11:53:53 AM

Would FarCry fall under the category of a FPS GTA? They emphasize natural over urban environments, but relating the fundamental concepts of game mechanics appears right.

I never really managed to sneak properly in GTAV, while FarCry3 involves (potentially, maybe) stealth.  Also GTA isn't a FPS.  I don't think I'd lump those together at all.  But you do shoot people.  This is also possible in Metroid Prime, so this can be stretched pretty far if you have time to kill.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: